(Topic ID: 203167)

Pin2DMD colorization of Super Mario Bros.

By ScottyC

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 143 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 hours ago by Lucxor
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Raise shield.gif
Raise shield.gif
Extra-Ball.gif
Castle 1.1.gif
E780D18D-D5C4-4320-8038-681730C6C775 (resized).jpeg
F88491FD-0913-4D01-AD3A-93A8D8C3FD10 (resized).jpeg
FBA43D9E-88AE-4D0F-8B5E-0E1B6A8AF7D6 (resized).jpeg
Pin2dmdfiles (resized).png
53E9C704-462E-47BF-BC4E-DE355786014B (resized).jpeg
8CE53052-8EC5-4013-860D-AECAA9D9A391 (resized).jpeg
F7CEAE5C-695C-415E-8385-C98B8B57061D (resized).jpeg
9E86F38F-4994-4AAA-B99D-D009A6A60228 (resized).jpeg
01436868-FD5B-406E-AB2D-B803820C6606 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20210223_184250_com.huawei.himovie.overseas (resized).jpg
IMG_20210115_175949 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210115_175903 (resized).jpg

There are 143 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 11 months ago

I’m looking for a SMB pin to add this to. It’s one of my favorite pins. Thanks for your hard work! When I find a SMB, I’d be happy to contribute and help with testing, if needed.

1 month later
#102 10 months ago

I found a SMB and Dino from VPUniverse is hooking me up with a Pin2DMD. I’ll happily test this out. Is there anyone currently working on this to iron out the bugs and “finalize” what’s been done so far?

Thank you ScottyC and Lucxor !!!

turbomensh — did you end up working on this further?

I might be interested in learning how to colorize this further.

FBA43D9E-88AE-4D0F-8B5E-0E1B6A8AF7D6 (resized).jpeg
#103 10 months ago
Quoted from ThePinScientist:

I found a SMB and Dino from VPUniverse is hooking me up with a Pin2DMD. I’ll happily test this out. Is there anyone currently working on this to iron out the bugs and “finalize” what’s been done so far?
Thank you ScottyC and Lucxor !!!
turbomensh — did you end up working on this further?
I might be interested in learning how to colorize this further.
[quoted image]

Hello Tlw7409

Congrats to your Mario
Nice to see a new enthusiast.
I am not sure if turbo Mensch has worked on the project any further.
If you want to start to work on that project I would recommend to check all YouTube tutorials wich are aviable. They startet to support 64 colors now so it is possible to make great coloring but it can also be very difficult also. Sadly my Mario is still in parts. I will be happy to send you all the files so you can see and try by your self.
I would recommend to first make some recordings with your pc and try to colorize them wit some YouTube tutorials to get a feeling. And take the work wich is already done to Lern or see how things were done.

Let me know and Send me a pm.
Luc

#104 10 months ago

You can also download the sources to all of my projects and get a "behind the scenes" look at how it all works.

2 weeks later
#105 9 months ago
Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

Anyone out there taking money for assembling these? It looks like a fun project but I have too many atm. I really, really like the color work for Mario, so impressed.

I picked one of these Pin2DMDs from a guy named Dino (his user name is dzorbas) on VPUniverse. His website is https://www.cdnpin2dmd.ca/contact-me

He charged $268, but is was packaged very well and everything arrived working great. Very impressed and would definitely buy from him again.

#106 9 months ago
Quoted from Tcharlie84:

hi guys,
before taking a question i want to thank you for the excellent hard work of the authors. everyone involved is incredible.
my question is that i added this colorization to my vpin and put freeze 1.7.1.
I have some colorful scenes, but most of it is just white and some Gifs scenes that I see in this topic are in single color.
I added some images to know if the colorization is correct.
please let me know what you think of this or something is wrong.
cheers
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Did you ever get the Scotty Image to show correctly? Everything seems to look pretty good when I am playing, but the Scotty Image still doesn’t look colorized.

I made sure my Pin2DMD was set to Gottlieb v1.

E780D18D-D5C4-4320-8038-681730C6C775 (resized).jpegF88491FD-0913-4D01-AD3A-93A8D8C3FD10 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#107 8 months ago

Hello to all im new... i'm from Italy, i've buyed some months ago my SMB Pinball!!

I'm interested in how i can make my Pinball DMD with colors.
I'm new of this world so can someone help me to find what to buy and how to set up?

Thanks
Simone

#108 8 months ago
Quoted from ThePinScientist:

Did you ever get the Scotty Image to show correctly? Everything seems to look pretty good when I am playing, but the Scotty Image still doesn’t look colorized.
I made sure my Pin2DMD was set to Gottlieb v1.

Since ScottyC released the complete project in his dropbox you can open the project in the latest pin2dmd editor and change the scene to your liking.
Just confirm press PROCEED on the old project message, CONTINUE on the 16 color message, and OVERWRITE on every palette message.
Scene is called NoToDrugs.

#109 8 months ago
Quoted from Simone87:

Hello to all im new... i'm from Italy, i've buyed some months ago my SMB Pinball!!
I'm interested in how i can make my Pinball DMD with colors.
I'm new of this world so can someone help me to find what to buy and how to set up?
Thanks
Simone

Contact Dino on VPUniverse. He got me mine. He will even load the program on the Pin2DMD for you so it is all plug-and-play. Very impressed in his product and service. He’s the only person I know if that’s still selling them. His prices are very reasonable too.

https://vpuniverse.com/profile/16945-dzorbas/

#110 8 months ago

Thanks so much! Ill write right now!

3 months later
#111 5 months ago
Quoted from Lucxor:

If I would had one I would absolute be the person. But I searched. Sadly here you don't get it. I saw that someone was willing to sell one but the price was 8000 and it was about a year ago.
So wish you luck. Hope someone is wiling to help you.
or maybe you can try by your self?

Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

Great work so far!

Quoted from orlandu81:

If anyone is willing to take on the role of colorization on the Mushroom World version, I would be a buyer of another Pin 2 DMD as I can't stand looking at the orange DMD on that pin now either. ScottyC did a fantastic job on the full sized one, so the bar is set pretty high!
Any takers?

I'll Take Two for Super Mario Bros. & Two for Super Mario Bros. Mushroom World as well

3 months later
#112 54 days ago

I tried Lucxor's files but it causes too many other frames to only be in one color. Maybe they will get fixed one day.

#113 51 days ago
Quoted from ripple:

I tried Lucxor's files but it causes too many other frames to only be in one color. Maybe they will get fixed one day.

Can you attach a video? Would like to see how it’s all looking with these updates. And what all works and what bugs are there.

Was the video mode ever completed?

#114 51 days ago
Quoted from Scottiiboyii:

Can you attach a video? Would like to see how it’s all looking with these updates.

If you look back one page you can see Lucxor's videos. When I loaded those files many parts were changed to be only in one color from Scottyc's files. If you have a Pin2DMD it's easy to switch between files with a micro SD card reader.

#115 51 days ago

I need to grab a Pin2DMD, would love to help out on this too.

2 weeks later
#116 33 days ago

Well it's been a while, but I worked on an update over my holiday break. I would consider this a vpin release due to it being specific for the REV3 rom (smb3)

Lots of updates but again its mostly exclusive to the smb3 rom now
Some note worthy ones
-Integrated Castle Destroy Scenes by Lucxor (I did have to trim them down a bit to play until the end, as timing on the rom was different)
-Touched up a lot of the existing redraws and added others.
-The Bonus Chance (slot machine)

https://vpuniverse.com/files/file/12673-super-mario-bros/

#117 31 days ago

ScottyC Can we use this in a physical machine? I can burn the REV3 rom.

#118 30 days ago

I'm not sure of the process with this new editor/format, but if you're willing to give it a go lets figure it out
Will be sending ya a PM

#119 30 days ago
Quoted from ScottyC:

I'm not sure of the process with this new editor/format, but if you're willing to give it a go lets figure it out
Will be sending ya a PM

I'm happy to give it a try too if you need some more testers. I have a new PIN2DMD sitting on the shelf that I've been meaning to install

#120 26 days ago
Quoted from ScottyC:

Will be sending ya a PM

Please keep me updated on this, would love to try this out in my machine and would totally purchase a Pin2DMD if this is the case, Scotty did such an incredible job with the update!

#121 25 days ago

Also very interested about a adaptation for a physical machine.. incredible great work from ScottyC and Lucxor for Mario fans around the world

1 week later
#122 18 days ago

Is there a place where I can find a Pin2DMD for dummies? I’m used to the other guys where it’s just wham and done. Very interested in updating my current files to something newer if available

#123 15 days ago
Quoted from ScottyC:

Will be sending ya a PM

I just got my Mario pin this week as well and I would be willing to test on real hardware as well. Keep us posted!

1 week later
#125 4 days ago

Well I'm at a point where I'm not able to make much more progress without a real pin to test with. Having some issues with the way color masking is getting applied on real-pin2dmd vs virtual dmd.... So releasing this to the masses . (Lucxor might have some new castle destory updates as well he's working on, but these are not in the below shared project.)

Ripple has been a huge help in dealing with the back and forth of try this try that.. lol

Some things which were reverted because we could not get them working correctly
-Luigis Cave Count up
-The Bomb scenes

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_n11XZGoT_XKO8KUSRdLfO6pqttLGpm3?usp=sharing

#126 4 days ago
Quoted from ScottyC:

Well I'm at a point where I'm not able to make much more progress without a real pin to test with. Having some issues with the way color masking is getting applied on real-pin2dmd vs virtual dmd.... So releasing this to the masses . (Lucxor might have some new castle destory updates as well he's working on, but these are not in the below shared project.)
Ripple has been a huge help in dealing with the back and forth of try this try that.. lol
-Luigis Cave Count up
-The Bomb scenes
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1_n11XZGoT_XKO8KUSRdLfO6pqttLGpm3?usp=sharing

Again thank you a lot for your work.
Its just great that you always share this.
You again inspired me to do a little rework on the castle scenes.
I now should also have a REV3 Mario.
The frame timing on the new Rom seems a lot better. And with the replace no retrigger on the Pin2dmd editor stuff is a lot easyier to color.
Can anyone with a REV3 Mario trying the files from ScottyC and tell me if the catsles work on your pin?

For you trying with V3 i also woul like to send a file with only the castle scenes to test if they work correct on your pin.
After that i been happy to give them Scotty to implement in his project.
And try some other things on the pin

#127 4 days ago
Quoted from Lucxor:

Can anyone with a REV3 Mario trying the files from ScottyC and tell me if the catsles work on your pin?

I tested with ROM REV 3 and the original game ROM. The castles work great on both. I can also do more testing.

#128 3 days ago

I just upgraded my machine to the rev 3 ROMs and tried the latest pin2dmd files that scottyC linked above. I have some comparison videos of it versus the original pin2dmd files that came on my machine linked below.

I do see the castle destroyed animations, but they are "stock" ones, not the Super Mario World / Lucxor ones. Not sure if that is intended or not. Here's the other things I noticed that were different/problematic:

- Super Mario World Yoshi graphic
- Yoshi graphic stays when castle destroyed animation plays
- Colorized, but stock, Castle Destroyed graphics
- Partially colored red/green text when selecting bonus rounds
- Slot machine is fully colorized, but very low FPS
- Background has shimmering and stuttering during the scrolling sequence during attract
- The Super Mario initials screen during attract has spots of yellow on the otherwise red initials
- High scores during attract are not colorized
- Fully colorized Gottlieb/Premier logo

Video comparisons:
- scottyC's version from post #125:

- The version that came with my cabinet:

I'm available for testing any other versions on the rev 3 romset, or any other romsets if needed. Thanks for your hard work!

#129 3 days ago
Quoted from Justin-Credible:

I just upgraded my machine to the rev 3 ROMs and tried the latest pin2dmd files that scottyC linked above. I have some comparison videos of it versus the original pin2dmd files that came on my machine linked below.
I do see the castle destroyed animations, but they are "stock" ones, not the Super Mario World / Lucxor ones. Not sure if that is intended or not. Here's the other things I noticed that were different/problematic:
- Super Mario World Yoshi graphic
- Yoshi graphic stays when castle destroyed animation plays
- Colorized, but stock, Castle Destroyed graphics
- Partially colored red/green text when selecting bonus rounds
- Slot machine is fully colorized, but very low FPS
- Background has shimmering and stuttering during the scrolling sequence during attract
- The Super Mario initials screen during attract has spots of yellow on the otherwise red initials
- High scores during attract are not colorized
- Fully colorized Gottlieb/Premier logo
Video comparisons:
- scottyC's version from post #125:
- The version that came with my cabinet:
I'm available for testing any other versions on the rev 3 romset, or any other romsets if needed. Thanks for your hard work!

Seem like i had the same kinde of problem. Castle destroy only show in original version.
I think i will have the castles ready over today.
I would like to see if these work on both of your machines (Ripple/Justin)

Would you test them for me? I then send you a pm with the test files.

I also found am error in the rom V3. I think if you are invincible and destroy the castle the castle is still activated untli you lose the ball or get it to the outlane.
Someone else regognized that?

#130 3 days ago
Quoted from ScottyC:

-Luigis Cave Count up
-The Bomb scenes

I just had a look at your project folder and recognized that you use txt dumps only. If a scene has triggering problems you should try raw dumps.

#131 3 days ago

So here is a test file of Only the 7 Castles on ROM 3.
let me know if they work on your machines
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/qzut5escw9pemq92ir2ge/h?dl=0&rlkey=l28ltl69dgv8mgo3ob7j9u2z0

#132 3 days ago

All the testing was done using PIN2 DMD set to Gottlieb V1 firmware version V4.46 . The Lucxor castle animations are all working for me. The PIN2DMD must be set to Gottlieb V1. Maybe the firmware needs to be updated to use the newer files (still checking on this).

#133 3 days ago

I tested with ROM version 3 (this is the ROM chip on the board) and the original ROM version. The files worked with both ROM versions .

#135 3 days ago
Quoted from Lucxor:

So here is a test file of Only the 7 Castles on ROM 3.
let me know if they work on your machines
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/qzut5escw9pemq92ir2ge/h?dl=0&rlkey=l28ltl69dgv8mgo3ob7j9u2z0

Okay, so with DMD firmware v4.40 with the rev 3 game ROM, the castle animations do not show.

I updated the DMD firmware to v4.46 and the castle animations are showing! They look great by the way.

I went back and tested scottyC's files from post #125 with v4.46 and I'm still seeing mostly the same issues that I listed in post #128; no custom castles and most of the issues I listed are still present.

I hope this helps!

#136 3 days ago
Quoted from Lucxor:

I also found am error in the rom V3. I think if you are invincible and destroy the castle the castle is still activated untli you lose the ball or get it to the outlane.
Someone else regognized that?

I was able to reproduce this on the rev 3 ROM as well!

My lower ramp rollover switch is broken right now, so it takes a while to reproduce as I only get one question block per ball and getting a power star is random. Once I have a replacement switch (hopefully later this week) I'll try to reproduce on rev 2. But it does seem like this is a rev 3 bug.

As an aside, I've read that rev 2 was the last official version released, but no explanation was to what rev 3 is, where it came from, or what its differences are. It seems like it introduces at least one bug. Does anybody know the differences between the revisions?

#137 2 days ago
Quoted from Justin-Credible:

Okay, so with DMD firmware v4.40 with the rev 3 game ROM, the castle animations do not show.
I updated the DMD firmware to v4.46 and the castle animations are showing! They look great by the way.
I went back and tested scottyC's files from post #125 with v4.46 and I'm still seeing mostly the same issues that I listed in post #128; no custom castles and most of the issues I listed are still present.
I hope this helps!

You can try one more thing.
There is a setting on the pin2dmd wich can be changed to Gottlieb V1.
And then test scottyC s file.

I have tryied it. Sadly it did't fixed the castle scenes and haven't check the other things.
I have done my castles on Pin2dmd gottlieb V3.

If the castle test worked on your machine. thats good so its changeable.
Im not sure what makes some problems here as on Ripple machine the test castle work but seems to be to long.
I don't know why diffrent machines in the same state Pin2dmd v4.46 REV3 with Rom REV 3 seems to have diffrent frame delays.

#138 2 days ago
Raise shield.gif
#139 1 day ago

is there any file with ScottyC new scenes (slot machine and so on) AND the castle files and so on from Lucxor (newest version to test on real Pin). Also tried colorization some scenes on my own but don’t get the logic how the Pin2DMD editor works..
I‘m running Pin2DMD v4.46 and SMB GPRom Rev3. Pin2DMD is set to Gottlieb v1

#140 1 day ago
Quoted from Lucxor:

[quoted image]

I LOVE THIS Luxor Great work!!

#141 11 hours ago
Quoted from turbomensh:

is there any file with ScottyC new scenes (slot machine and so on) AND the castle files and so on from Lucxor (newest version to test on real Pin). Also tried colorization some scenes on my own but don’t get the logic how the Pin2DMD editor works..

Also curious about this.

#142 11 hours ago
Quoted from Sky64:

I LOVE THIS Luxor Great work!!

a bit more details

Raise shield.gif
#143 10 hours ago
Quoted from turbomensh:

Quoted from PapaKilo:

Also curious about this.

Check this Post from Scotty:

Quoted from ScottyC:

-Luigis Cave Count up
-The Bomb scenes

I am Still working on new stuff.
The new Castles 1 and the new gifs i postet are not integrated jet.
And Castle scenes seems not to work on all machines.

Pin2dmd editor is not easy to understand and there is not a lot of information.
You can start wit the instruction here:
https://pin2dmd.com/editor/

The video here is an old instruction but gives some clues. Its a bit long but helps to understand:

Best is to load scottys work and check how stuff is made.
The editor is hard to work and start.
It does vorgive nothing.
And always save twice and make backups.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Minneapolis, MN
$ 25.00
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
Men
$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Kansas City, MO
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
There are 143 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2dmd-colorization-of-super-mario-bros/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.