(Topic ID: 203167)

Pin2DMD colorization of Super Mario Bros.

By ScottyC

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image3 (resized).png
pasted_image2 (resized).png
pasted_image1 (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
Ghost Award.gif
Yoshi.gif
30000000 Million.gif
1000000 Million.gif
Shoot the Bumpers.gif
Run for cover Beginning.gif
Run for Cover.gif
Run for Cover Treasure.gif
Run for Cover explosion.gif
Run for Cover.gif
Run for Cover Treasure.gif
Run for Cover explosion.gif
There are 272 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.
#51 3 years ago

So Castle 4 is ready. Thanks to Sixty i know the the castles works like i expected. Thank you for that.
still some improvments to do.

Castle 4 castle.gifCastle 4 castle.gif
#52 3 years ago

YES!!!! You used Luigi sprites!!!!!!!

#53 3 years ago

Was juuuust thinking on smb pin2dmd!

#54 3 years ago

I just installed one of these a few weeks ago so would love to put the updates in.

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Was juuuust thinking on smb pin2dmd!

Be carfule where you buy it.
Read ratings befor you buy. I was scammed first time.

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from Tsskinne:

I just installed one of these a few weeks ago so would love to put the updates in.

I be willing to share all these files to see all the smb pinballs shine in a new ligth,
but please be patient. Such a Seence took around 10-15 or more workhours to make. ( did not count it but its a lot of work)
Mabe there is a faster way but I did not work long with this Programm. I'm oppen for inputs ^^

#57 3 years ago
Quoted from Lucxor:

If I would had one I would absolute be the person. But I searched. Sadly here you don't get it. I saw that someone was willing to sell one but the price was 8000 and it was about a year ago.
So wish you luck. Hope someone is wiling to help you.
or maybe you can try by your self?

I'm not the person to do it...but maybe someone on this thread will step up.

#58 3 years ago
Quoted from Lucxor:

So Castle 4 is ready. Thanks to Sixty i know the the castles works like i expected. Thank you for that.
still some improvments to do.[quoted image]

I just wanted to stop by and say that Lucxor has been doing some incredible work so far with his castle destroyed scenes, and they look amazing on a pin2dmd display in person. Both him and ScottyC deserve a huge thank-you for breathing new life into this pin for us. When it comes to color displays, Gottlieb games are often forgotten, so we are very lucky to not only have color display files created, but new animations added as well. Cheers to both of you guys!

#59 3 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

I just wanted to stop by and say that lucxor has been doing some incredible work so far with his castle destroyed scenes, and they look amazing on a pin2dmd display in person. Both him and scottyc deserve a huge thank-you for breathing new life into this pin for us. When it comes to color displays, Gottlieb games are often forgotten, so we are very lucky to not only have color display files created, but new animations added as well. Cheers to both of you guys!

Thanks for the Flowers
If a had not the files from scottyc i would not know if i had startet to work on the dmd.
his work has gave me a perfect prefrence and forced me to try it out. also that he share his hole work not only the files for the dmd.
thanks again for that. I think i will do the same if im finished, to see if some has some diffrent ideaars an works on that files too do something better out of it.

so enougth words here is Castle 5:
PS mabe has to shorten it a bit for better animation..

Castle 5 Gif.gifCastle 5 Gif.gif
#60 3 years ago
Quoted from Lucxor:

Thanks for the Flowers
If a had not the files from scottyc i would not know if i had startet to work on the dmd.
his work has gave me a perfect prefrence and forced me to try it out. also that he share his hole work not only the files for the dmd.
thanks again for that. I think i will do the same if im finished, to see if some has some diffrent ideaars an works on that files too do something better out of it.
so enougth words here is Castle 5:
PS mabe has to shorten it a bit for better animation..
[quoted image]

That's awesome! How are you getting these done so quickly? Have you just not slept the last week at all? lol. Great work on another castle animation buddy.

#61 3 years ago
Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

That's awesome! How are you getting these done so quickly? Have you just not slept the last week at all? lol. Great work on another castle animation buddy.

Haha kind of. just take all the free time i have to do these sceens. Its kinde of relaxing to do these and i also want to see how they look.
Castle 5 took me about 6 hours on monday and 6hours on tuesday.
lucky i have a wife wich cooks for me so i do not have to starv

#62 3 years ago
Quoted from orlandu81:

I'm not the person to do it...but maybe someone on this thread will step up.

so if the mushroom world has also 7 Castles you could just adapt the scenes for this one.
also all other animation if they were similar.

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from Lucxor:

so if the mushroom world has also 7 Castles you could just adapt the scenes for this one.
also all other animation if they were similar.

No castles, the only overlap in animation is mario at the end when your game is over.

#64 3 years ago

Here for you fresh finished Castle 6
after castle 7 is finished i will send those of you how are intrested, a updated file wit scottys project with all 7 new castles.
Iits only a test file so do keep your orginal ones.

Castle 6 gif.gifCastle 6 gif.gif
#65 3 years ago
Quoted from Lucxor:

Here for you fresh finished Castle 6
after castle 7 is finished i will send those of you how are intrested, a updated file wit scottys project with all 7 new castles.
Iits only a test file so do keep your orginal ones.[quoted image]

Awesome work!

#66 3 years ago

I hope JJP makes a new mario pin.

#67 3 years ago

Wow, great job! I was recently looking through ScottyC's project for this since I wanted to learn how to update / create some colorizations.

I was playing around with the Gottlieb logo a couple days ago.

gottlieb logo.gifgottlieb logo.gif
#68 3 years ago

so Castle 7 is already finished.
will test it today and then i would send the files to those ho are willing to test.

Castle 7 gif.gifCastle 7 gif.gif
#69 3 years ago
Quoted from Wharhed:

Wow, great job! I was recently looking through ScottyC's project for this since I wanted to learn how to update / create some colorizations.
I was playing around with the Gottlieb logo a couple days ago.[quoted image]

Hey Warhead

If you like I could use some help in the colorization of the pin. 2 people are faster than one

#70 3 years ago

Here is the link for the test files.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9i0finxf1l8pzav/AADCQECJYaM-YiAueH_EqKDga?dl=0

Please I do only have changed the castles.
If there is some other problems I am not working on them rigth now. If there is a problem with the castles let me know.
And of course if you like it you can also let me know

#71 3 years ago

Could you please also create the vpin export ?

#72 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

+1 Would love to test these out, but alas I no longer have a real pin.

#73 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Quoted from ScottyC:

+1 Would love to test these out, but alas I no longer have a real pin.

So should be updated with the vpin files. let me know if it works.

#74 3 years ago

Seems to work okay. Awesome new castle scenes trigger, but do not run till the end.. Looks like there were some pallette changes, that affected a lot of stuff (attract, player 1 and 2, video mode..etc). Keep up the good work and get it fully running on a real pin and ill tackle the vpin side

#75 3 years ago
Quoted from ScottyC:

Seems to work okay. Awesome new castle scenes trigger, but do not run till the end.. Looks like there were some pallette changes, that affected a lot of stuff (attract, player 1 and 2, video mode..etc). Keep up the good work and get it fully running on a real pin and ill tackle the vpin side

Hey scotty

Thank you for the feedback. so the animation runs full on my real pin. I'm not in to vpin so appreciate your help on this site.
Yes had seems that my pallets were not hig enough and overwritten some of yours. Have to change this. Video mode was green always so don't know what it was ment to be.
Work on the yoshi at the moment. After that I will work on the video mode.

Best regards

#76 3 years ago
Quoted from Lucxor:

Hey Warhead
If you like I could use some help in the colorization of the pin. 2 people are faster than one

I'd be happy to help, but I'm really new at this too. I'm going to try to get my SMB setup this week and I'll be trying the files on my SMB's Pin2DMD and the Pin2DMD on my desktop. I can test in vpin (that's what I've been primarily doing anyhow)

#77 3 years ago

Hi,
What a job!
I tested on my pin2dmd (vpin) and I only have animations in cyan and white, no shimmering colors. Same in attract mode or while playing.
Is it a palette problem? Anyone have an idea?
Thanks

#78 3 years ago
Quoted from ebor:

Hi,
What a job!
I tested on my pin2dmd (vpin) and I only have animations in cyan and white, no shimmering colors. Same in attract mode or while playing.
Is it a palette problem? Anyone have an idea?
Thanks

Be sure you are using freezy 1.7.x... 1.8 has some issues.

#79 3 years ago

good point, you were right
ok with 1.7.1

#80 3 years ago

Am I able to add this to my SMB? If so, what would I need to get for this to work. Thanks for all your hard work.

#81 3 years ago
Quoted from DADDIO13:

Am I able to add this to my SMB? If so, what would I need to get for this to work. Thanks for all your hard work.

yes you are.
You need a Pin2dmd wich is activatet(activation key) and some tecnical knowledge how to install it. Or someone who can help you.
After that you just had to copy the files from the droppox to your SD Card and done.

I first ordered my pin2dmd on a German website, wich is scamming people so do not buy from them if you don't want to lose your money.
after that I was able to buy one from this guy
https://pin-display.ch/
Maybe you could buy one from someone wich do not need his pin2dmd any more.

#82 3 years ago
Quoted from Lucxor:

yes you are.
You need a Colordmd wich is activatet(activation key) and some tecnical knowledge how to install it. Or someone who can help you.
After that you just had to copy the files from the droppox to your SD Card and done.
I first ordered my colordmd on a German website, wich is scamming people so do not buy from them if you don't want to lose your money.
Maybe you could buy one from someone wich do not need his dmd any more.

Am I able to buy a Colordmd from ColorDmd.com or do those not have the proper activation key as you mentioned.

#83 3 years ago

It's not a ColorDMD, but rather Pin2DMD which is separate hardware. At this time ColorDMD does not support this game. Pin2DMD is more of a DIY type experience...

#84 3 years ago
Quoted from setzkor:

It's not a ColorDMD, but rather Pin2DMD which is separate hardware. At this time ColorDMD does not support this game. Pin2DMD is more of a DIY type experience...

Thank you. I see that TinyBlackDog has some for sale in the pinside classifieds. I may be buying from there then.

#85 3 years ago
Quoted from DADDIO13:

Am I able to buy a Colordmd from ColorDmd.com or do those not have the proper activation key as you mentioned.

Pin2dmd, pin2dmd.com. Not colordmd, those don't work on gottliebs as far as I know.

I don't know of any US retail websites but some individuals sell them. Here is one of the evo boards for sale.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/108459

#86 3 years ago
Quoted from latenite04:Pin2dmd, pin2dmd.com. Not colordmd, those don't work on gottliebs as far as I know.
I don't know of any US retail websites but some individuals sell them. Here is one of the evo boards for sale.
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/108459

Thanks I just notice those for sale there and will probably get one.

#87 3 years ago
Quoted from setzkor:

Yes your rigth. sry for the misleading information. Thanks for correcting me.

Quoted from DADDIO13:

Thanks I just notice those for sale there and will probably get one.

Yes I got exactly one of those.

#88 3 years ago

hi guys,

before taking a question i want to thank you for the excellent hard work of the authors. everyone involved is incredible.

my question is that i added this colorization to my vpin and put freeze 1.7.1.

I have some colorful scenes, but most of it is just white and some Gifs scenes that I see in this topic are in single color.

I added some images to know if the colorization is correct.

please let me know what you think of this or something is wrong.

cheers

IMG_20210115_175314 (resized).jpgIMG_20210115_175314 (resized).jpgIMG_20210115_175333 (resized).jpgIMG_20210115_175333 (resized).jpgIMG_20210115_175411 (resized).jpgIMG_20210115_175411 (resized).jpgIMG_20210115_175443 (resized).jpgIMG_20210115_175443 (resized).jpgIMG_20210115_175903 (resized).jpgIMG_20210115_175903 (resized).jpgIMG_20210115_175949 (resized).jpgIMG_20210115_175949 (resized).jpg
#89 3 years ago
Quoted from Tcharlie84:

hi guys,
before taking a question i want to thank you for the excellent hard work of the authors. everyone involved is incredible.
my question is that i added this colorization to my vpin and put freeze 1.7.1.
I have some colorful scenes, but most of it is just white and some Gifs scenes that I see in this topic are in single color.
I added some images to know if the colorization is correct.
please let me know what you think of this or something is wrong.
cheers
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you for trying out and share your experience. Apriciate that.

So this could really be. I'm not into Vpin so I can not tell what is displayed.
I only implemented the castles in ScottyC's work.

I know there are problems but I do not investigate in that, because I will do a clean implement when I am finish. It would be timeconsuming to make a clean implementation everytime I finished a new coloring of a scene and I want to keep it at a minimum.

So this project needs a loot more work and this will take time.
I work on this but I can't tell you when I will be finished(maybe in a year).

I want to give you acsess to the new sceense so you can enjoy them but this is a work in progress file

If you got problem with the castles let me know.
Everything else, will be taken care in the future.

Regards Luc

1 month later
#90 3 years ago

hi guys,

will this also work with a very early SMB..? because lucky1 mentioned there may be problems with the early machines? just thinking of getting a Pin2DMD for my SMB (acc. serial no. one of the first) and not sure if it will work proper..? will the problem be solved with newer versions of the game ROM?

btw. full respect for the great work of ScottyC and Lucxor

#91 3 years ago
Quoted from turbomensh:

hi guys,
will this also work with a very early SMB..? because lucky1 mentioned there may be problems with the early machines? just thinking of getting a Pin2DMD for my SMB (acc. serial no. one of the first) and not sure if it will work proper..? will the problem be solved with newer versions of the game ROM?
btw. full respect for the great work of scottyc and lucxor

There should be no difference from the hardware side between a early and a later machine except the ROM version which can be updated.

#92 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

There should be no difference from the hardware side between a early and a later machine except the ROM version which can be updated.

Thank you.. so question to Lucxor or ScottyC : What ROM Version GPROM and DSPROM have you applied and is it working proper with that?

Thanks and regards!

#93 3 years ago

In all honesty I do not know what version . Only way to tell is going by the checksum info and I do not have a video/pic of that in my archive from when I owned this machine

#94 3 years ago
Quoted from turbomensh:

Thank you.. so question to lucxor or scottyc : What ROM Version GPROM and DSPROM have you applied and is it working proper with that?
Thanks and regards!

i can check for you what version i have but do not know where to look.(try to look in the system settings in the evening)
the files are still work in progress so i think the most parts should work as expected. but still could bee that parts are not shown as expected.

So i Istalled the old DMD so i could get the info in the startup (see Picture). i do not know wich version it is but i believe its V1.

Screenshot_20210223_184250_com.huawei.himovie.overseas (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210223_184250_com.huawei.himovie.overseas (resized).jpg
1 month later
#95 2 years ago
Quoted from Lucxor:

yes you are.
You need a Pin2dmd wich is activatet(activation key) and some tecnical knowledge how to install it. Or someone who can help you.
I first ordered my pin2dmd on a German website, wich is scamming people so do not buy from them if you don't want to lose your money.
Maybe you could buy one from someone wich do not need his pin2dmd any more.

Thanks Lucxor for all the info. I purchased by Pin2dmd and also got the activation key and have it all installed. Now for the copying the files (sorry for being a newb on this part). I copied the whole folder from the Dropbox to my SD card and inserted it into the Pin2DMD slot. Am I supposed to do anything else after this since nothing happens when the game is turned on (just shows the Pin2dmd graphics).

Thanks again for any help

#96 2 years ago

So got a super mario bros machine recently and did the pin2dmd mod. Running on chipset 1CC4 Several questions.Lucxor did you incorporate scottys animations and background colors onto yours? Im getting many plain white screens.As for if anyone has issues with weird colors i had the same thing happen. I had to edit the rgb sequence by one in the settings to get the colors to look right. I tested on default settings multiple times and the colors were off. The castle animations work great. The animations will not work in tournament mode though from testing. I included some pictures of the strange colors i was getting and the colors after the rgp sequence fix. As updates roll out I am more than welcome to test for you guys. Thanks for all the hard work on this!

01436868-FD5B-406E-AB2D-B803820C6606 (resized).jpeg01436868-FD5B-406E-AB2D-B803820C6606 (resized).jpeg53E9C704-462E-47BF-BC4E-DE355786014B (resized).jpeg53E9C704-462E-47BF-BC4E-DE355786014B (resized).jpeg8CE53052-8EC5-4013-860D-AECAA9D9A391 (resized).jpeg8CE53052-8EC5-4013-860D-AECAA9D9A391 (resized).jpeg9E86F38F-4994-4AAA-B99D-D009A6A60228 (resized).jpeg9E86F38F-4994-4AAA-B99D-D009A6A60228 (resized).jpegF7CEAE5C-695C-415E-8385-C98B8B57061D (resized).jpegF7CEAE5C-695C-415E-8385-C98B8B57061D (resized).jpeg

#97 2 years ago
Quoted from DADDIO13:

Thanks Lucxor for all the info. I purchased by Pin2dmd and also got the activation key and have it all installed. Now for the copying the files (sorry for being a newb on this part). I copied the whole folder from the Dropbox to my SD card and inserted it into the Pin2DMD slot. Am I supposed to do anything else after this since nothing happens when the game is turned on (just shows the Pin2dmd graphics).
Thanks again for any help

You just need the pin2dmd.pal, pin2dmd.fsq, and .key file directly on the sd card root, not in a directory.

#98 2 years ago
Quoted from latenite04:

You just need the pin2dmd.pal, pin2dmd.fsq, and .key file directly on the sd card root, not in a directory.

Thanks latenite04 That is what I currently have. Must be something else I am doing wrong.

Pin2dmdfiles (resized).pngPin2dmdfiles (resized).png
#99 2 years ago
Quoted from latenite04:

latenite04 - I was able to get it working. I forgot to select Gottlieb for the setup menu on the display. I guess that should be put somewhere in the instructions.

#100 2 years ago
Quoted from ish08kazuya:

So got a super mario bros machine recently and did the pin2dmd mod. Running on chipset 1CC4 Several questions.Lucxor did you incorporate scottys animations and background colors onto yours? Im getting many plain white screens.As for if anyone has issues with weird colors i had the same thing happen. I had to edit the rgb sequence by one in the settings to get the colors to look right. I tested on default settings multiple times and the colors were off. The castle animations work great. The animations will not work in tournament mode though from testing. I included some pictures of the strange colors i was getting and the colors after the rgp sequence fix. As updates roll out I am more than welcome to test for you guys. Thanks for all the hard work on this!
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Hello ish08kazuya

Sry for my late responde. i actualli was in Holiday.
I did not change any color in Scottys work, could be that it happend on one by mistake. but i did a lot of new colloring scenes to avoid getting such problems.
i think it migth happend in the video mode scene.
also i never did a dump in turnament mode so thats why it does not work. Also in diffrent Language the trigger from castels wouldn not work.
It would be good if the colloring and all the trigers and work would be done on a fresh project.

actuall im not have a lot of free time and also work on some mod of my new Jurassic park pinball.
So if someone wants the project files send me a pm.
Turbomensh is already taking a look on them rigth now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 1.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 68.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 18.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 17.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 14.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

There are 272 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2dmd-colorization-of-super-mario-bros/page/2?hl=lucky1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.