(Topic ID: 203167)

Pin2DMD colorization of Super Mario Bros.

By ScottyC

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by ScottyC
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 12 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190719_185843 (resized).jpg
20190719_173415 (resized).jpg
IMG_9162 (resized).jpg
Helpful_Hints.gif
QB_EB_Orig.gif
QB_EB.gif
Mario_Turtle_Orig.gif
Mario_Turtle.gif
CastleDestroyOrig.gif
CastleDestroy.gif
By_ScottyC.gif
EndGame.gif

#1 1 year ago

I've been working on this for a while and finally have it to a point where I'll release it to the wild. Props to malenko for getting me kick started on this project with a killer Castle Destroy redraw,Gottlieb/Premier logo, and some general knowledge. I then proceeded to redrew several other scenes to kind of modernize it a bit more . Currently there is a limitation with Gottlieb V1 and coloring dynamic scenes (scenes which include changing content like score, video mode, and countdowns). Those scenes just get a simple palette change for now. There are still some key frames missing (mainly ? block scene trigger points) which I plan to add down the road, but for the most part it's complete.

Technical info:
Pin2DMD from rappelbox
-Firmware 2.41
-Color Prism
-Gottlieb V1
-Enhancer Enabled

PIN2DMD Editor version used: 2.1.0.0 build 45

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/05a7pvtvrdueznn/AAC3iG1NvdeQFcXTg8vMbkXwa?dl=0

Hoping to shoot some video footage tonight to share as well. Enjoy!

EndGame.gif
By_ScottyC.gif

#2 1 year ago

Castle Destroy Scene by malenko (click on images)

CastleDestroy.gif
CastleDestroyOrig.gif

#3 1 year ago

Other misc redraws: (click on images)

Mario_Turtle.gif
Mario_Turtle_Orig.gif
QB_EB.gif
QB_EB_Orig.gif
Helpful_Hints.gif

#4 1 year ago

Well I thought I had the white balance set pretty good(looked good on the phone), but turns out it really doesn't look all that great on the computer, lol. Oh well...here's some game play till I can re-shoot.

Attract mode:

1P: (Showing different modes)

4P: (Showing off different colors for each player)

#5 1 year ago

This looks awesome!! You are making me want to pick up a new DMD to load this on my machine.

Good work!

#6 1 year ago

Awesome job ScottyC !!

#7 1 year ago

Wonderful! Looks great!

#8 1 year ago

Absolutely LOVE IT, Congrats on finishing this!

#9 1 year ago

Nice work! I try this out over the long weekend. Thanks for sharing

#10 1 year ago

Thanx everyone!

gtxjoe let me know how it turns out

#11 1 year ago

Great job!

#12 1 year ago

arent some of the LEDs bleeding?

#13 1 year ago

Sorry, I’m out of the loop. Which colorized DMD hardware does this work with? How difficult is the software install?

Incredible work!

#14 1 year ago
Quoted from DorkVonWaterfall:

arent some of the LEDs bleeding?

There is a little bit of bleed but doesn't bother me a bit. More info here: http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/2385-color-bleeding-of-chinese-rgb-panels/

Quoted from DANGERTERROR:

Sorry, I’m out of the loop. Which colorized DMD hardware does this work with? How difficult is the software install?
Incredible work!

This works on pin2dmd hardware. Several people to get on from rappelbox and pinballsp. Can also do a DIY kit if you really want to . More info here http://pin2dmd.com/hardware/

#15 1 year ago
Quoted from ScottyC:

There is a little bit of bleed but doesn't bother me a bit. More info here: http://vpuniverse.com/forums/topic/2385-color-bleeding-of-chinese-rgb-panels/

This fix is for the older panels which had the bleeding problem. Latest generation panels don´t have that problem anymore.

#16 1 year ago

Good to know. Thanx lucky1

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from ScottyC:

Good to know. Thanx lucky1

It is a new generation panel when the panel power plug is at this position

IMG_9162 (resized).jpg

#18 1 year ago

Btw. I had to fix the pinMame driver (dmddevice.dll) to enjoy your project with Visual Pinball. I ran into a bug because you used ColMask in your project which is not supported for very early Gottlieb machines. Now it is working perfectly and looking beautiful.

#19 1 year ago

Anyone out there taking money for assembling these? It looks like a fun project but I have too many atm. I really, really like the color work for Mario, so impressed.

1 month later
#20 1 year ago

Hello, during the cristmas days i reworked my mario and got an pin2dmd display from rappelbox . I just wanted to say thank you for your great work, it looks gorgous!!!

1 week later
#21 1 year ago

Thanks you so much for your work. I can now restore my pinball with rappelbox dmd! Thanks Man!

1 year later
#22 8 months ago

Thanks for sharing this. I've had a PIN2DMD setup sitting largely unused for a long time. Mario was a game I had originally been interested in using it in. I installed it the other day with your colorization and like it a lot.

Quoted from ScottyC:

Currently there is a limitation with Gottlieb V1 and coloring dynamic scenes (scenes which include changing content like score, video mode, and countdowns).

A change doesn't appear to have been made in the colorization, but was this limitation ever addressed in the PIN2DMD functionality?

#23 8 months ago

Glad you are likin it.

@lucky1 / @steve45 do you know if that limitation is still there for Gottlieb?

#24 8 months ago

I changed something in the code to address that but it was actually never tested by anyone afaik.

3 months later
#25 4 months ago

I’m looking to add this to my SMB, anyone know where I can get the hardware?

#26 4 months ago

Hi
One option is www.pin-display.ch but i think somebody in the US also sales them.

#27 4 months ago

@dpannell2 sells them

Added 101 days ago:

dpannell not @dpannell2 fixed

1 month later
#28 3 months ago

Hi everyone! Looks like rappelbox is disabled. Is there another source for a plug n play color dmd for mario? Cheers!

#29 3 months ago

dpannell had them too

#30 3 months ago
Quoted from bumgahdna:

Hi everyone! Looks like rappelbox is disabled. Is there another source for a plug n play color dmd for mario? Cheers!

You can still get his stuff from his Webshop.

#31 3 months ago

You can also get them here: www.pin-display.ch

Greets

#32 3 months ago

I got one of these and am having issues. Most of the color is correct, but some of the animations are flashing red and blue? It also looks like some if the animations drag and create a double vision effect...is this normal for a pin2dmd? I've never owned one.

20190719_173415 (resized).jpg
#33 3 months ago

When I unplug the ribbon cable I get this...no config is set. I tried to change to Gottlieb v1 and I saved config but it's like it's not taking?

20190719_185843 (resized).jpg
#34 3 months ago

Is the enhancer setting set to on? I believe it is supposed to be. Your rgb sequence at the top of the display is wrong, you need to set it to match the order of the image at the top of the pin2dmd webpage. https://pin2dmd.com/ Those are the two things I can think of to try of the top of my head.

#35 3 months ago

Mine definitely lists Gottlieb V1 at boot, I recall the setting save procedure was not straightforward and required using a different button. Also, what firmware are you running? The issues you describe are definitely not normal. You may have better luck with support in the general pin2DMD thread...

#36 3 months ago
Quoted from bumgahdna:

I got one of these and am having issues. Most of the color is correct, but some of the animations are flashing red and blue? It also looks like some if the animations drag and create a double vision effect...is this normal for a pin2dmd? I've never owned one.[quoted image]

It is a specific problem of these first generation Gottlieb DMD machines from 1992 which have to use Gottlieb V1. I can`t be avoided but significantly improved by using a appropriate palette in the colorization. Maybe @scottyc can jump in.

#37 3 months ago

bumgahdna there are times when the text/animations are scrolling across the screen where you will see some split in the colors (some times its more noticeable than others). Agree with latenite04 in that your RGB color sequence at the top of you screen during startup isn't right. Also is your game set to freeplay? I didn't set key frames for anything other than the freeplay mode for attract mode.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
3,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Greenville, SC
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Dothan, AL
$ 249.00
$ 25.00
Boards
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 259.99
Electronics
nvram.weebly.com
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 79.00
$ 66.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 30.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside