(Topic ID: 198306)

Pin2DMD colorization of....... Lethal Weapon 3!

By Malenko

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Malenko
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MultiScroll.gif
MultiCrash.gif
fuse.gif
fuse.gif
choppahhhheyes.gif
choppaah.gif
Multiball (resized).JPG
Malenko.gif
helico 5.gif
helico 4.gif
helico 3.gif
helico 2.gif
helico 1.gif
helico 5 (resized).png
helico 4 (resized).png
helico 3 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider malenko.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

EDIT: The files are here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9cWp45XToh2d2ZGUWk5NGE4eDQ?resourcekey=0-iR0GELtLI4JUG0Q3pY6Zlw&usp=sharing

So after finishing SFII (Gottlieb), Terminator 2 (Williams), Baywatch (SEGA) ,I figured its time to tackle a Data East pin! Here is Lethal Weapon 3! Very much a work in progress, but I do have a few scenes done ( more than what is attached here). I'm trying to use color masks and palette changes exclusively, no redraws.

There's also another reason for choosing this game. Randy Perlow hired me to color this for ColorDMD, sent me a contract an a W9 form, which I filled out and sent back after purchasing the machine. After I bought the machine, I emailed him for an update on when I'd get the hardware and software to color the game and he replied with this: (Full disclosure I did take an extra week to get back to him, I was in the process of buying the machine):

"Thomas,

I previously contacted you regarding ColorDMD’s concerns with your work on an infringing platform and potential harm to its business. At the time you responded that the work was for private use.
Since then you have ignored our concerns, and taken action to promote and publicly distribute this work, counter to a ColorDMD new product introduction.
As a result, ColorDMD can no longer reasonably expect to conduct business with you in good faith, or entrust you with safeguarding our proprietary information.

Regretfully, our offer to work with you as an independent contractor on future titles is withdrawn.

Randy Perlow
ColorDMD Displays"

Which put me on the hook for a machine I really cant afford to own. Im going to knock out this colorization, install the pin2DMD, and hopefully get a bunch of money in donations (spoiler: I wont ) but I'll likely end up selling the machine. Shame as its a really fun game and I had hoped to be a steady contributor to ColorDMD and use that money to expand my pinball collection.

LW3.gifLW3.gif
gungrab.gifgungrab.gif
digital stereo.gifdigital stereo.gif

#2 6 years ago

A couple of the longer scenes (they never seem to display correctly embedded, so click them!)

LW-Scene1.gifLW-Scene1.gif

Multiball.gifMultiball.gif

#3 6 years ago

The game is practically done, I just need to capture and color the last "stunt scenes" and finish some color tweaks.

digital stereo 3.gifdigital stereo 3.gif

DE Fluff.gifDE Fluff.gif

DataEast.gifDataEast.gif

firework.giffirework.gif

#4 6 years ago

Im in the middle of making 2 versions of this, one will say Multiball no matter what version you have, the other will say Tri-Ball no matter what version you have, so you can pick what you want it to say, Im still checking out the differences between 5 and 8 and determining what needs redone/retriggered

#6 6 years ago

there are a lot of differences between 2.05 and 2.08 I might have to do 2 separate releases instead of trying to make everything work for both.

#8 6 years ago

Some attract scenes are different , multi-ball is mentioned a few times and that's changed to tri-ball but a bunch of scenes have different hashes/crc32s . I feel like I'm pot committed to making this work on both games but its going to require some post release testing/bug squashing.

#10 6 years ago

I think all the "triball" shenanigans are done. I think I'll release a "works for both ROM versions set" and if I get any donations with a note asking for pre 2.08 saying triball or 2.08 saying multiball instead of triball I'll considering doing more work on this game.

Release forthcoming

triball.giftriball.gif

MBCrash.gifMBCrash.gif

4 weeks later
#16 6 years ago

more updates to this, I just got the 2.08 ROMs so maybe I can do the multiball/tri-ball changes. Tri-ball does sound really stupid.

4 months later
#20 6 years ago

Updating the files, Redoing a couple scenes and I'm going to fix the high score triggers and look for the uncolored "Tales from the Crypt" scene.

TftC.gifTftC.gif

Replay.gifReplay.gif

10 months later
#21 5 years ago

I'd love to do this game for color DMD, so I could do the video mode properly.

2 weeks later
#23 5 years ago

Video mode is incomplete but mostly working. The match game has 1 frame needing fixed (Im working on it) and the frame for winning the "fight mode" also needs fixed (Im working on it) 2.06 and 2.08 are both at the same completion point (99.9999%). I am going to do a release that changes triball back to multiball, which was the only major difference I saw between the display roms , besides the inclusion of the "tales from the crypt" promo scene (which is also done).

If you want a display, and it actually ship, hit up dpannel at vpuniverse.

my paypal is https://www.paypal.me/Malenk0

#25 5 years ago

ahhhhh thats cool. I'll try to update the files this weekend to force Multiball overwriting Tri-ball. For the actual scene (where the armored car crashes through the letters) its easy, but the for the arrow scene that says "shoot here for triball" , well that might have to stay.

Ptolemy is a good dude too, so you should get your panels super fast from him. I started coloring the game with 2.05, then 2.06 then I used a vpin to rip the 2.08 scenes. I have 2.08 in my actual machine and verified the colorization on it. Oddly enough, the frame in the match game that doesn't work on the real pin works fine on the vpin.

3 weeks later
#29 5 years ago

He can just host his own version. Im still working on mine, almost done replacing triball with Multiball.

I dont recognize the helicopter scene at all though

#34 5 years ago

Send me a link to your source files, I'll merge what I like into mine. Feel free to put your fork up for download I think its great you did work on this game.

I must suck at this game as I didnt even know there were Helicopter scenes

#36 5 years ago

I know how it work, lol I just never got that far

1 week later
#39 5 years ago

I'm on vacation in Japan right now, but the link to the files should be on the first post. Just copy the pal and fsq files to the sd card and it should work. I'm am squashing a few bugs and fixing some colors and I plan to update the files when I get back state side.

10 months later
#46 4 years ago

I didnt have problems fitting my Pin2DMD but its a really old one. Yangra actually did send me his updated files (his version was build on mine) a while back I will go through them soon and push out an update.

7 months later
#49 3 years ago

There is an update I'm going to push out. I've already got multiball replacing tri-ball across all versions. I would have already released it but I'm updating it to work with Chad's code update. Life is in the way and takes priority

#50 3 years ago

Minor update, merged Yangra's work into my build and I am finalizing the chad code changes (based on his 3.1 code)

#52 3 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

Awesome work!! Im here to keep your encouragement up and thanks for returning to work on this!! I just received my v3.01 code and on day 2 of testing out the features and improvements! Did you get around to coloring all the stunt scenes and the superstunt? I know you mentioned you had already sold the game.

Everything is colored. Now its just bug fixes, 3.X compatibility and finishing the full conversion to everything saying Multiball instead of Tri-Ball.
Is there anyone out there that actually *wants* the game to say tri-ball ?
Its been a lot more of a time sink to make it all say Multiball, so I was just curious.

Malenko.gifMalenko.gif
Multiball (resized).JPGMultiball (resized).JPG

#54 3 years ago

I'm not really back in action, I was just never happy with some of the glitches on this game, so the 3.X code is a good reason to update it. I believe ColorDMD says Tri-Ball but they can change it to Multiball as well, and if they need the frame data or color screens I'd be happy to provide those to them for their customers (for free obviously).

I went back and recolored a lot of the scenes Yangra did as well, his color choices were just a little too jarring compared to what I'd pick, but it's still great he did what he did. Some were totally redone, some where just color changes, and others were just adding shading.

choppaah.gifchoppaah.gifchoppahhhheyes.gifchoppahhhheyes.gif
#57 3 years ago
Quoted from trueno92:

If this is still a work in progress, can that multiball screen on the first page be updated to have the multiball font colour in yellow or red or just something really flasher other than the grey and black that was used?

Be more specific, theres like 15 places where Triball/Multiball are displayed.

Do you mean the one with the fuse:
fuse.giffuse.gif

#60 3 years ago
Quoted from martymart:

I prefer Tri-Ball so happy for it to stay.

I got bad news for ya then.... Well if you don't run chads code you don't need to update your files.
That being said, once everything is squared away, it wont be too hard to go back and make all the triball stuff replace all the multiball stuff
AFAIK its 2 of the demo screens, the flashing arrow saying its ready, the truck in the MB/TB sequence and the text in that sequence too.

Quoted from trueno92:

I would think make all the multiball images all the same color for consistency. But sorry i was referring i was referring to the opening armored truck sequence.
I just was thinking of making it bright yellow or blue something flashy for the announcement. No worries ur the pro! The armored truck one i just noticed was pretty dark

They are as consistent as i can get it with the color limitations:

fuse.giffuse.gif
MultiCrash.gifMultiCrash.gif
MultiScroll.gifMultiScroll.gif

Its not final, but heres whats done so far:

1.75 Added/Colored "LW3 Unofficial" screen (CHADCODE)
Added/Colored "visit pinball code.com" scene (CHADCODE)
Added Extra frames to the end of the first segment of the chase scene (CHADCODE)
Added Extra frames to cop slide section of Car Crash Scene (CHADCODE)
Recut/Colored/Triggered Driver's eye scene from Car crash to match new timing (CHADCODE)
-Done in a way that wont break compatibility with old code
Recut/Colored/Triggered Toilet Bomb scene to match new timing (CHADCODE)
-Done in a way that wont break compatibility with old code
Added additional Crime Simulator spash screen frames (CHADCODE)
Recolored Replay screen back to gold and blue
Recolored "Silver Pictures" intro scene
Recolored "insert coin" screen, reverted coin to silver
Recut/Colored/Triggered BSMT2000 screen to remove glitch
Recut/Colored/Triggered ALL TEN DEMO SCENE CARDS (this was well over 12 hours alone)
-1 to 1 and 1 to 2 triggering (2 triggers per frame when possible)
-this fixes color and frame glitching
-this fixes the scrolling effect issue
-this fixes coloring getting out of sync with DMD
Better shading on the exploding building windows
Fixed miscolored S on "Riggs wins" in fight mode completion
ALL NEW Colorized by Malenko screen, as if you care.
Recolored the Helicopter chasing the car scene
Recolored the Helicopter pilot's eyes scene
Better shading on Car crashing into Helicopter scene
Replaced the blue with brown in the chopper chasing the car towards the screen, darkened car mirror
"Coming Soon" shorted to 6 frames (it loops) should fix timing on demo screens
Added/colored "FROM" frame (after coming soon, before Data East)
Added/colored "Data East Pinball" scene witht he circles
Fixed Yangra's colorization of the dont drink and drive (recolored guy and martini olive)
Added/Colored the credit scroll instead of just a pal swap
Added/Colored "Multiball Fuse" scene instead of just a pal swap
Added/Colored "Karate Kick" scene
Recut/Colored "Looping" sequence 1 to 1 framing
Changed "Leo Getz" speech bubble to white
Recolored "Danger Dog" scene
Added/Colored Super Pops 100,000
Added/Colored Super Pops 1,000,000
Added/Colored Super Leo
ReCut/Colored/Triggered armored car driving through Multiball letters
-triggered on both Multiball and Tri-Ball

1 year later
#72 2 years ago

what version of my colorization are you using? The latest *should* have everything converted to Multiball.

Im using the chad beta roms but they should be using the same hashes as the final.

1 year later
#75 1 year ago

good work!

I quit colorizations a while back. The politics were a bit much and money seemed to be the focus. Thanks for taking the time to update this, it was one of the reasons I always released all my work with source for free; to try and foster some sort of community. I'll give these a go when I can carve out some time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Milwaukee, WI
$ 28.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Plantsville, CT
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
3,377 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
York, NE
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

3,800 (OBO)
$ 17.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider malenko.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2dmd-colorization-of-lethal-weapon-3?tu=malenko and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.