(Topic ID: 198306)

Pin2DMD colorization of....... Lethal Weapon 3!

By Malenko

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 75 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by Malenko
  • Topic is favorited by 23 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MultiScroll.gif
MultiCrash.gif
fuse.gif
fuse.gif
choppahhhheyes.gif
choppaah.gif
Multiball (resized).JPG
Malenko.gif
helico 5.gif
helico 4.gif
helico 3.gif
helico 2.gif
helico 1.gif
helico 5 (resized).png
helico 4 (resized).png
helico 3 (resized).png

There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

EDIT: The files are here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B9cWp45XToh2d2ZGUWk5NGE4eDQ?resourcekey=0-iR0GELtLI4JUG0Q3pY6Zlw&usp=sharing

So after finishing SFII (Gottlieb), Terminator 2 (Williams), Baywatch (SEGA) ,I figured its time to tackle a Data East pin! Here is Lethal Weapon 3! Very much a work in progress, but I do have a few scenes done ( more than what is attached here). I'm trying to use color masks and palette changes exclusively, no redraws.

There's also another reason for choosing this game. Randy Perlow hired me to color this for ColorDMD, sent me a contract an a W9 form, which I filled out and sent back after purchasing the machine. After I bought the machine, I emailed him for an update on when I'd get the hardware and software to color the game and he replied with this: (Full disclosure I did take an extra week to get back to him, I was in the process of buying the machine):

"Thomas,

I previously contacted you regarding ColorDMD’s concerns with your work on an infringing platform and potential harm to its business. At the time you responded that the work was for private use.
Since then you have ignored our concerns, and taken action to promote and publicly distribute this work, counter to a ColorDMD new product introduction.
As a result, ColorDMD can no longer reasonably expect to conduct business with you in good faith, or entrust you with safeguarding our proprietary information.

Regretfully, our offer to work with you as an independent contractor on future titles is withdrawn.

Randy Perlow
ColorDMD Displays"

Which put me on the hook for a machine I really cant afford to own. Im going to knock out this colorization, install the pin2DMD, and hopefully get a bunch of money in donations (spoiler: I wont ) but I'll likely end up selling the machine. Shame as its a really fun game and I had hoped to be a steady contributor to ColorDMD and use that money to expand my pinball collection.

LW3.gifLW3.gif
gungrab.gifgungrab.gif
digital stereo.gifdigital stereo.gif

#2 6 years ago

A couple of the longer scenes (they never seem to display correctly embedded, so click them!)

LW-Scene1.gifLW-Scene1.gif

Multiball.gifMultiball.gif

#3 6 years ago

The game is practically done, I just need to capture and color the last "stunt scenes" and finish some color tweaks.

digital stereo 3.gifdigital stereo 3.gif

DE Fluff.gifDE Fluff.gif

DataEast.gifDataEast.gif

firework.giffirework.gif

#4 6 years ago

Im in the middle of making 2 versions of this, one will say Multiball no matter what version you have, the other will say Tri-Ball no matter what version you have, so you can pick what you want it to say, Im still checking out the differences between 5 and 8 and determining what needs redone/retriggered

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Im in the middle of making 2 versions of this, one will say Multiball no matter what version you have, the other will say Tri-Ball no matter what version you have

Great idea!

#6 6 years ago

there are a lot of differences between 2.05 and 2.08 I might have to do 2 separate releases instead of trying to make everything work for both.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

there are a lot of differences between 2.05 and 2.08 I might have to do 2 separate releases instead of trying to make everything work for both.

Interesting. What else have you found? I think my machine came with 2.04, but it needed a new MPU to work right, so new ROMs went in early on.

#8 6 years ago

Some attract scenes are different , multi-ball is mentioned a few times and that's changed to tri-ball but a bunch of scenes have different hashes/crc32s . I feel like I'm pot committed to making this work on both games but its going to require some post release testing/bug squashing.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Some attract scenes are different , multi-ball is mentioned a few times and that's changed to tri-ball but a bunch of scenes have different hashes/crc32s . I feel like I'm pot committed to making this work on both games but its going to require some post release testing/bug squashing.

I'm just waiting/hoping on a group buy for Rappelbox Pin2Dmd and I'll order immediately. It'll go right in to my LW3 so let me know if I can help or test.

#10 6 years ago

I think all the "triball" shenanigans are done. I think I'll release a "works for both ROM versions set" and if I get any donations with a note asking for pre 2.08 saying triball or 2.08 saying multiball instead of triball I'll considering doing more work on this game.

Release forthcoming

triball.giftriball.gif

MBCrash.gifMBCrash.gif

1 week later
#11 6 years ago

This really looks like an excellent effort. I’m relatively new to pinball and currently have an LW3 that has a couple of horizontal lines out and would like to replace it with this config. My CPU is 2.08 and display is 2.0. Are there resources to buy the most current roms? Also, are there kits/tutorials available for implementing the color dmd?

#12 6 years ago

Hi @cherga,
The hardware will be available from me, complete and ready to install. only take your old DMD out, put the new one in, attach 2 cables, done!

I'm actually preparing a group buy for these and all other titles from @malenko.

Stay tuned, updates will follow shortly

Dom

#13 6 years ago

That’s great! Thanks Dom.

#14 6 years ago

I want one.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

There's also another reason for choosing this game. Randy Perlow hired me to color this for ColorDMD, sent me a contract an a W9 form, which I filled out and sent back after purchasing the machine. After I bought the machine, I emailed him for an update on when I'd get the hardware and software to color the game and he replied with this: (Full disclosure I did take an extra week to get back to him, I was in the process of buying the machine):
"Thomas,
I previously contacted you regarding ColorDMD’s concerns with your work on an infringing platform and potential harm to its business. At the time you responded that the work was for private use.
Since then you have ignored our concerns, and taken action to promote and publicly distribute this work, counter to a ColorDMD new product introduction.
As a result, ColorDMD can no longer reasonably expect to conduct business with you in good faith, or entrust you with safeguarding our proprietary information.
Regretfully, our offer to work with you as an independent contractor on future titles is withdrawn.
Randy Perlow
ColorDMD Displays"
Which put me on the hook for a machine I really cant afford to own. Im going to knock out this colorization, install the pin2DMD, and hopefully get a bunch of money in donations (spoiler: I wont ) but I'll likely end up selling the machine. Shame as its a really fun game and I had hoped to be a steady contributor to ColorDMD and use that money to expand my pinball collection.

If anyone should still be in any doubt as to the nature of ColorDMD's actions regarding trying to eliminate competition, I think this should put that to bed.

What an utter ****.

Donated. Though don't yet have a game that you've coloured.

1 week later
#16 6 years ago

more updates to this, I just got the 2.08 ROMs so maybe I can do the multiball/tri-ball changes. Tri-ball does sound really stupid.

#17 6 years ago

Very cool.

3 months later
#18 6 years ago

Where can I get the color kit for my LW3?
My email is [email protected]

#19 6 years ago

I had a look at Malenkos LW3 project and fixed some keyframes. Successfully tested in my v-pin. Here is the link to Malenko´s project folder

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9cWp45XToh2d2ZGUWk5NGE4eDQ

3 weeks later
#20 5 years ago

Updating the files, Redoing a couple scenes and I'm going to fix the high score triggers and look for the uncolored "Tales from the Crypt" scene.

TftC.gifTftC.gif

Replay.gifReplay.gif

10 months later
#21 5 years ago

I'd love to do this game for color DMD, so I could do the video mode properly.

2 weeks later
#22 5 years ago

Malenko I am buying a color 2dmd to put in my LW3. Thanks for taking the time to do the colorization for this game first off. Can't wait to get it installed. I have a question. Right now my game has cpu 2.0 with display 2.1. I was thinking of upgrading to the most recent cpu 2.8 and most recent display 2.6 that way I had the most recent rom set. I saw on another forum that you colorized the game using 2.05 rom set. Did you ever finish the 2.08 rom set or would I be better just updating to the 2.05 that you did the initial colorization on?

Also whats your paypal, i would like to send a donation to you for doing this? Thanks

#23 5 years ago

Video mode is incomplete but mostly working. The match game has 1 frame needing fixed (Im working on it) and the frame for winning the "fight mode" also needs fixed (Im working on it) 2.06 and 2.08 are both at the same completion point (99.9999%). I am going to do a release that changes triball back to multiball, which was the only major difference I saw between the display roms , besides the inclusion of the "tales from the crypt" promo scene (which is also done).

If you want a display, and it actually ship, hit up dpannel at vpuniverse.

my paypal is https://www.paypal.me/Malenk0

#24 5 years ago

thanks i ordered from from mike (ptolemey) on here which is why he messaged you earlier asking about differences in rom revisions

#25 5 years ago

ahhhhh thats cool. I'll try to update the files this weekend to force Multiball overwriting Tri-ball. For the actual scene (where the armored car crashes through the letters) its easy, but the for the arrow scene that says "shoot here for triball" , well that might have to stay.

Ptolemy is a good dude too, so you should get your panels super fast from him. I started coloring the game with 2.05, then 2.06 then I used a vpin to rip the 2.08 scenes. I have 2.08 in my actual machine and verified the colorization on it. Oddly enough, the frame in the match game that doesn't work on the real pin works fine on the vpin.

3 weeks later
#26 5 years ago

Hello guys,

Sorry for my bad english... I'm french

I have worked on this subject on my side, with the good base from Malenko (thanks a lot to him). I have spend a lot of time for that (it's my first coloration). I have made some upgrades from several scenes with adding colors, and have colorised some scenes who was not made.

Is it possible to share my work with you?

#27 5 years ago

Some exemples...

TFTC (resized).pngTFTC (resized).pngToilet (resized).pngToilet (resized).pngVictory (resized).pngVictory (resized).pngbonus (resized).pngbonus (resized).pngbuilding 1 (resized).pngbuilding 1 (resized).pngdanger (resized).pngdanger (resized).pngdont drink (resized).pngdont drink (resized).pngexplosion 1 (resized).pngexplosion 1 (resized).pngexplosion 2 (resized).pngexplosion 2 (resized).pnggetaway (resized).pnggetaway (resized).pnggun (resized).pnggun (resized).pnghelico 1 (resized).pnghelico 1 (resized).pnghelico 2 (resized).pnghelico 2 (resized).pngriggs (resized).pngriggs (resized).pngtriball (resized).pngtriball (resized).pngtriball 2 (resized).pngtriball 2 (resized).png
#28 5 years ago

Sure ! Just contact Malenko and I´m sure he will add it to his google drive folder

#29 5 years ago

He can just host his own version. Im still working on mine, almost done replacing triball with Multiball.

I dont recognize the helicopter scene at all though

#30 5 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I dont recognize the helicopter scene at all though

Helicopter scenes are the same as "Car crash", "Toilet",... and comes just before "Watchout". This scene is missing in your dumps...

#31 5 years ago

GIF's don't works

helico 1 (resized).pnghelico 1 (resized).pnghelico 2 (resized).pnghelico 2 (resized).pnghelico 3 (resized).pnghelico 3 (resized).pnghelico 4 (resized).pnghelico 4 (resized).pnghelico 5 (resized).pnghelico 5 (resized).png
#32 5 years ago
helico 1.gifhelico 1.gif
#33 5 years ago
helico 2.gifhelico 2.gifhelico 3.gifhelico 3.gifhelico 4.gifhelico 4.gifhelico 5.gifhelico 5.gif
#34 5 years ago

Send me a link to your source files, I'll merge what I like into mine. Feel free to put your fork up for download I think its great you did work on this game.

I must suck at this game as I didnt even know there were Helicopter scenes

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Send me a link to your source files, I'll merge what I like into mine. Feel free to put your fork up for download I think its great you did work on this game.
I must suck at this game as I didnt even know there were Helicopter scenes

Helicopter is one of the modes lit by the flippers. You have to shoot holes 1, 2 & 3 to start a scene.

#36 5 years ago

I know how it work, lol I just never got that far

1 week later
#37 4 years ago

So, is there a colour DMD for LW3 deadlier available now?

#38 4 years ago

I haven't done a color dmd before, hell I've only owned two dmd games. However, I'm ready to pull the trigger on one for LW3. How do you get the files on to the new dmd?

#39 4 years ago

I'm on vacation in Japan right now, but the link to the files should be on the first post. Just copy the pal and fsq files to the sd card and it should work. I'm am squashing a few bugs and fixing some colors and I plan to update the files when I get back state side.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I'm on vacation in Japan right now, but the link to the files should be on the first post. Just copy the pal and fsq files to the sd card and it should work. I'm am squashing a few bugs and fixing some colors and I plan to update the files when I get back state side.

Got my firmware issue figured out and am loving the new update. Some scenes still turn to blue and yellow right at the end though. Looking forward to more updates!

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from Herk:

I haven't done a color dmd before, hell I've only owned two dmd games. However, I'm ready to pull the trigger on one for LW3. How do you get the files on to the new dmd?

In order to run this colorization, you need the pin2DMD display. I've been running Malenko's lethal weapon for several months and I love it. The colorization files are loaded onto the Display by copying the files to a SD card. I have some extra displays. If you need one, send me a PM.

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from dpannell:

In order to run this colorization, you need the pin2DMD display. I've been running Malenko's lethal weapon for several months and I love it. The colorization files are loaded onto the Display by copying the files to a SD card. I have some extra displays. If you need one, send me a PM.

PM sent!

1 week later
#43 4 years ago

Hello, here you can download my work :

http://www.k-upload.fr/afficher-fichier-2019-04-04-1520a51d7pin2dmd.rar.html

Enjoy !

If you have some suggestions for improving that, feel free to notify that

9 months later
#44 4 years ago

I ran into some problems trying to fit a Pin2DMD in my Data East Lethal Weapon 3 LW3 today. The LED panels on the Pin2DMD are much deeper than the original DMD and push up against the perspex in front. It's practically impossible to get washers / spacers in to lift it clear of the front and would also need longer screws.

#45 4 years ago

Hi Malenko,

Did you update your Lethal Weapon 3 files with the additional scene's colored by Yangra? I have just installed a Pin2DMD in my LW3 and noticed some of scene's are missing color and then saw this thread. Would be great to get an updated version with the missing scene's colored.

If you need any help testing I can test on both the real LW3 and a VPin.

Thanks
Andy

#46 4 years ago

I didnt have problems fitting my Pin2DMD but its a really old one. Yangra actually did send me his updated files (his version was build on mine) a while back I will go through them soon and push out an update.

#47 4 years ago

Thanks Malenko

7 months later
#48 3 years ago

just circling back if this ever got updated

#49 3 years ago

There is an update I'm going to push out. I've already got multiball replacing tri-ball across all versions. I would have already released it but I'm updating it to work with Chad's code update. Life is in the way and takes priority

#50 3 years ago

Minor update, merged Yangra's work into my build and I am finalizing the chad code changes (based on his 3.1 code)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
There are 75 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2dmd-colorization-of-lethal-weapon-3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.