(Topic ID: 197928)

Pin2DMD colorization of....... GODZILLA!

By Malenko

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 44 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Code
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
Godzilla.gif
pasted_image (resized).png
matchgame.gif
GodzillaMB.gif
ChopperSnack.gif
SuperPops.gif
ReplayEye.gif
bridge.gif
Lightning.gif
MissileJackpot.gif
SonarMB.gif
NY Radar.gif
Taxi-T.gif
TaxiCrush.gif
TaxiMultiball.gif

#1 6 years ago

Let me just say that the DMD artists for this game did an AMAZING job, its some of the best pixel art Ive ever seen on a DMD.
That being said,Rappelbox talked me into coloring this game and he provided recordings for me. This is my 5th colorization and I like to think Im getting pretty good at them.

Every scene is colormasked so far and the colors themselves are subject to change so if something looks too bright or too dark dont worry, adjusting palettes is one of the last steps.

As of right now I'd say the game is about 70% colored. Here are some Taxi related GIFs

TaxiMultiball.gifTaxiMultiball.gif
TaxiCrush.gifTaxiCrush.gif
Taxi-T.gifTaxi-T.gif

#2 6 years ago

And some more eye candy:

NY Radar.gifNY Radar.gif

SonarMB.gifSonarMB.gif

MissileJackpot.gifMissileJackpot.gif

Lightning.gifLightning.gif

#3 6 years ago

Malenko is the man

#4 6 years ago

I am always surprised this is the only Godzilla pin - seems like such a slam dunk theme!

#5 6 years ago

Multiple questions ....
1) in your pm you stated 70% done is there a timeline when this would be complete
2) can I purchase the DMD and run a base colour till its completed?
3) where do you purchase the DMD's?
4) is the power set up different to run the unit ?

#6 6 years ago

I dont like to give myself a hard deadline but I hate the answer"it'll be done when its done". I *should* be able to finish coloring this week, Rappelbox will do some testing (I lack the actual machine) after the colorization is done, it'll be up to him to release the files publicly.

You can purchase a pin2DMD and run it in a "palette" mode , basically replacing the 4 colors with any 4 of your choosing or just using an all green shaded palette until the files are released

Rappelbox has dibs on group buy for this game, so I'd suggest him

Not sure, dont have a machine or the latest pin2DMD shield. Thats a question for a hardware vendor (I just color the games)

bridge.gifbridge.gif

#7 6 years ago

All PIN2DMD devices have the great option to be installed even before colorization is available.
I'd put up a temporary, but beautiful white/greenish palette and once the files are finished and tested they'd be send to all buyers of my hardware.

Power distribution is universal to all systems since each unit comes with a built-in DC-DC converter which is capable of up to 35V input

#8 6 years ago

Still chippin away!

ReplayEye.gifReplayEye.gif

SuperPops.gifSuperPops.gif

ChopperSnack.gifChopperSnack.gif

#9 6 years ago

spectacular work man!

#10 6 years ago

it *might* be done the coloring part today

GodzillaMB.gifGodzillaMB.gif

#11 6 years ago

Very cool, Godzilla is finally alive!

#12 6 years ago

Wow, looks great!

#13 6 years ago

Looks awesome!

#14 6 years ago

Thanks, all the coloring is done. Rappelbox is going to check the keyframes. Took a week and about 40 hours.

Here's my pan handling link: http://paypal.me/Malenk0

matchgame.gifmatchgame.gif

I dont know why the GIFs look so messed up on here /shrug

3 weeks later
#15 6 years ago

Everything looks very good to me so let's go!!!

I prepare these devices so that you only have to install in your game, done!!!
PIN2DMD devices are availbale from me directly, just shoot me a PM or mail me drictly to [email protected]

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

Sounds easy .... However.... You will need 1/4 stand offs ... 4@3/4 number 6screws, longer 14 pin Dmd cable, as the installed cable will not reach! Could possibly be a good product but the customer support is lacking!

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

Everything looks very good to me so let's go!!!
PIN2DMD devices are availbale from me directly, just shoot me a PM or mail me drictly to [email protected]

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#18 6 years ago

You don’t need to advertise their stuff in this thread either do we in theirs!
And it doesn’t even make sense since both product target different groups and have different approaches.

transprtr4u : I will test your device once it arrives here.
And support is already improving, we started with diy-kits now we have a almost ready-to-go product.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

both product target different groups and have different approaches.

what are the different groups?
and what are the different approaches?

Just curious how this one works compared to ColorDMD. My basic understanding is that ColorDMD came up with a way to see the signal coming to the DMD and that it intercepts it and then overlays the colored frames on that signal. That is why it takes a while to color titles. The colorists have to go capture each frame that could possibly be displayed and then create masks/overlays telling the display which colors to use.

How does pin2DMD work? Did you guys borrow any ideas from ColorDMD or develop a completely novel approach?

#20 6 years ago

Pin2dmd is targeted at more “technically” people.
Like mentioned above, it is in first instance a replacement for defective plasma dmds. It’s ability to do colorization is a bonus, not more not less. At least that’s my personal understanding.

I am not involved in the particular development of the software but am extensive user of the editor and I can tell that it is really powerful once you get used to it.

Interestingly since pin2dmd started the “per year” count improved a lot on their side and before we get again into the colordmd vs. Pin2dmd vs. “best solution” bs, in the end the user and all pinball enthusiasts profit from various sources!!!

Isn’t that a good thing?

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

transprtr4u : I will test your device once it arrives here.
And support is already improving, we started with diy-kits now we have a almost ready-to-go product.

Seeing as you have time to post here and ignore my paypal dispute, I see your customer service is not improving ... I sent you a fair resolution for both parties, and you chose to ignore me! I'm a fair person that would like to get a product that actually works as discribed...
Issues:
1) received product.. Have to donate to another company to activate
2) no instructions as to how to install unit
3) no hardware to install Dmd into game
4) endless downloading from sites to install a "key"
5) my personal time to try to get this work, resolve issues , ect.

Reinstalled my Colordmd in 5 minutes.. Will happily stay in Sigma green ... Until it's programmed for color...

Admitting I'm no computer genius or super wizard when it comes to electronics , which was made clear before this product was purchased and now you leave me ignored to solve the issue!

Purchase at own risk...

#22 6 years ago

See my post above and I replied you, check our mail.

Since this product evolves it has not been your fault maybe, like I said also before: let me check your particular unit and I’m sure we’ll find a solution.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

I said also before: let me check your particular unit and I’m sure we’ll find a solution

So now I sending a unit back to the Netherlands (2weeks) for you to check it ? (Time unknown) fix and install what should have been completed before shipping? ... Shipping back to Canada(2weeks)
Please explain who is paying all the incurred costs?

#24 6 years ago

Return the unit to me (Germany) my address is on your invoice, delivery note, PayPal invoice etc. easy to find!
And I’ll refund you completely.

#25 6 years ago

I have the feeling ColorDMD is hiring people to spam pin2dmd threads. Nice !

Quoted from transprtr4u:

1) received product.. Have to donate to another company to activate

We are NOT a company. PIN2DMD is a hobby project and the donations go 100% into charity projects.
I assume you did know about that before you ordered your hardware from Rappelbox because it is written on pin2dmd.com?

Quoted from transprtr4u:

4) endless downloading from sites to install a "key"

Your internet connection must be really slow, because the key is only 68byte and you simply need to copy it to the SD card

Quoted from transprtr4u:

Reinstalled my Colordmd in 5 minutes.. Will happily stay in Sigma green ... Until it's programmed for color...

You are the first I know of that swaps a 400$ ColorDMD for a 200$ PIN2DMD. Did Randy hire you too?

Quoted from transprtr4u:

Admitting I'm no computer genius or super wizard when it comes to electronics , which was made clear before this product was purchased

There are several 100 PIN2DMD users who managed to activate and install it without a single question, just following the instructions on pin2dmd.com.

Quoted from Rappelbox:

Return the unit to me (Germany) my address is on your invoice, delivery note, PayPal invoice etc. easy to find! And I’ll refund you completely.

The best solution in this specific case.

#26 6 years ago

I just personally cant see why people would want to support a company that is pretty blatantly copying ColorDMD's process and their only defense is " LOL we're not in the USA so we dont care."

#27 6 years ago

Excellent work ! You should make a quick tutorial how you go about coloring games. I tried for a weekend once and wanted to kill myself. I would love to see your process since you seem to be cranking these out relatively quick...THERES GOTTA BE A BETTER WAY !

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

what are the different groups?
and what are the different approaches?
Just curious how this one works compared to ColorDMD. My basic understanding is that ColorDMD came up with a way to see the signal coming to the DMD and that it intercepts it and then overlays the colored frames on that signal. That is why it takes a while to color titles. The colorists have to go capture each frame that could possibly be displayed and then create masks/overlays telling the display which colors to use.
How does pin2DMD work? Did you guys borrow any ideas from ColorDMD or develop a completely novel approach?

PIN2DMD is programmed from scratch and started as a project for virtual pinball machines using RussDX USB protocol integrated in pinMame open source project. A little later we (Steve and me) had the idea to add a interface for real pinball machines using colorizations for both. Until today I don´t know exactly how colorDMD works (no idea about FPGA) but I can tell you that even if we could reengineer the code we could not use a single line of it because a FPGA like used by ColorDMD has nothing in common with CPUs. (https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-among-CPU-GPU-APU-FPGA-DSP-and-Intel-MIC) Additionally I did´t not know about colorDMD when I started with PIN2DMD until I presented here on pinside and got contacted by Randy shortly after.

Depending on what we want to achieve we currently use different approaches to colorize:
- replace the scene with a scene stored with timing information on the SD . Also used for re-themeing (pin2dmd editor)
- copy colorized content from SD into parts of the existing scenes (pin2dmd editor)
- modify the ROM and switch the palette by sending information from the ROM to the display device. That is also known as SmartDMD developed by oga84. ROM modification is done using pinballBrowser from oga. Used for Stern and Spike.

I honestly can´t tell you if we accidentally do something which is infringing the ColorDMD US patent because I´m not a US patent lawyer and if I show it to a german patent lawyer he tells me that it would not even be patentable in europe.
What I can tell you for sure is that colorDMD did not have LED displays when we presented pin2dmd, can´t do re- themeing, can´t use modified ROMs but claims that all this is covered by their patent ??!! So decide yourself wether we borrowed something or not.

#29 6 years ago

The issue with pin2DMD was the whole purchasing the hardware (from rappelbox) & then having to send a donation for the unlocking of the software (to lucky1). That is time consuming it should already be included in the pin2DMD hardware purchase. When you buy the hardware, the software should be ready to go....that's just my opinion.

I was fortunate enough to do a group buy for my SF2 and we just forwarded the software unlocking key we received from lucky1 (after a donation) to rappelbox & he unlocked + installed the colorization files onto a micro-usb and then shipped the pin2DMD. (why this can't be done as regular practice?)

In the end I loved the pin2DMD and the colorization (thank you @malenko).....but the entire purchasing/installation was much more convoluted than it should have been.

My 2 cents

** And transprtr4u is a very honest & nice guy. I can personally vouch for him.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

I just personally cant see why people would want to support a company that is pretty blatantly copying ColorDMD's process and their only defense is " LOL we're not in the USA so we dont care."

Can you proof what you claim or are you just parroting what Randy is spreading as the only truth ?
If you legally proof it I will immediately stop the development of pin2dmd. Until then it is just the opinion of someone who does´t know better how to deal with competition.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I was fortunate enough to do a group buy for my SF2 and we just forwarded the software unlocking key we received from lucky1 (after a donation) to rappelbox & he unlocked + installed the colorization files onto a micro-usb and then shipped the pin2DMD. (why this can't be done as regular practice?)

Nobody said that this can´t be the regular practice. I don´t care wether you have your device or not when you donate for the key.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Nobody said that this can´t be the regular practice. I don´t care wether you have your device or not when you donate for the key.

Then why isn't it? I'm not trying to be difficult here....but if rappelbox simply raised each pin2DMD price on his website by, let's say 10 euros, each sale of a pin2DMD would mean he would send you 10 euros as your "donation" for unlocking the software.

Then rappelbox can simply load the colorization files (request which game upon purchase of pin2DMD) onto a micro usb. Ship out the hardware and it's nearly "plug and play" after that.

Then that cuts out the user who purchased the pin2DMD from having to do all this unnecessary technical nonsense.

It's just good business practice....even for "hobbyist"

#33 6 years ago

I don't know why every Pin2DMD thread needs to have ColorDMD promoters in them. They're different products and they're aimed at different audiences. Their development timelines point to two similar products that rose up in parallel. That happens fairly often.

For any of my colored DMDs, I've always used ColorDMD, but as we all know, competition is good. For the ColorDMD camp to say that they haven't taken some influence from Pin2DMD is disingenuous. Having both products in the market will make both products better over time.

Keep doing your thing, Pin2DMD.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Then why isn't it? I'm not trying to be difficult here....but if rappelbox simply raised each pin2DMD price on his website by, let's say 10 euros, each sale of a pin2DMD would mean he would send you 10 euros as your "donation" for unlocking the software.
Then rappelbox can simply load the colorization files (request which game upon purchase of pin2DMD) onto a micro usb. Ship out the hardware and it's nearly "plug and play" after that.
Then that cuts out the user who purchased the pin2DMD from having to do all this unnecessary technical nonsense.
It's just good business practice....even for "hobbyist"

That is a different way you describe now. The simple reason why we don´t do it that way, is that we want to forward every single cent to charity projects and not run a second business for pin2dmd. I already have 40 employees and before I open a second business for pin2dmd I stop pin2dmd. This is my hobby not my business.

Order a pin2dmd hardware and ask for the UID - send the UID together with your donation - forward the key to your hardware supplier.

I can tell you, if there were something like a commercial license it would be around 50$ because when you run a business you are not allowed to be non-profit.

1 week later
#35 6 years ago
Quoted from jar155:

I don't know why every Pin2DMD thread needs to have ColorDMD promoters in them. They're different products and they're aimed at different audiences. Their development timelines point to two similar products that rose up in parallel. That happens fairly often.

Me either but you should watch the crucifixion that takes place when a PIN2DMD gets mentioned in a CDMD thread. Get familiar with the ignore button, the mods don't seem to want to stop it. Like 24-hour news channels, even white noise is better for business than nothing.

2 months later
#36 6 years ago

Did this ever get issued? I just bought a Godzilla and I'm very interested in this work for Pin2DMD and would donate when its available!!!

1 week later
#37 6 years ago

this is my actual copy of the work so far...
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ytr_NXZVQIpKyXIb8Xsfp8gZO9MEYBoK

I'll keep the things updated over the next days and post progress in this thread.

-Fixed some keyframes

1 year later
#38 4 years ago

Since DMDMK66 is stealing my work without credit, I decided to make some changes to this colorization

Release Change Log:
1.01 the "DMDMK66 Stole my work" edition.
Rappel added and fixed some triggers.
Alterted some palettes and color masks
No source code update for this release until dmdmk66 either admit he stole my work or stops
Missile Bonus recolored and remasked, Buildings remasked/color, bonus numbers redone
New York Sonor scene redone, brown haired army guy is now a blonde haired navy guy
triple helicopter missile scene recolored and remasked. Buildings are grey instead of blue to contrast with the sky better
missile also had white area removed and turned red.
File is over here :
Vpin http://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/file/5569-godzilla-vpin/
real pin http://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/file/5570-godzilla-realpin/

Godzilla.gifGodzilla.gif
#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Since DMDMK66 is stealing my work without credit, I decided to make some changes to this colorization
Release Change Log:
1.01 the "DMDMK66 Stole my work" edition.
Rappel added and fixed some triggers.
Alterted some palettes and color masks
No source code update for this release until dmdmk66 either admit he stole my work or stops
Missile Bonus recolored and remasked, Buildings remasked/color, bonus numbers redone
New York Sonor scene redone, brown haired army guy is now a blonde haired navy guy
triple helicopter missile scene recolored and remasked. Buildings are grey instead of blue to contrast with the sky better
missile also had white area removed and turned red.
File is over here :
Vpin http://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/file/5569-godzilla-vpin/
real pin http://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/file/5570-godzilla-realpin/[quoted image]

To be precise it is not the DMDMK66 edition it is the "Magic Editor Edition" which isn´t of any practical use.
So he only stole your work to use it on PC platform. He has a looooong way to go to use it on his DMDMK66 hardware.
Maybe even impossible for him to go it at all. I´m sure there is no need to be afraid.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

To be precise it is not the DMDMK66 edition it is the "Magic Editor Edition" which isn´t of any practical use.
So he only stole your work to use it on PC platform. He has a looooong way to go to use it on his DMDMK66 hardware.
Maybe even impossible for him to go it at all. I´m sure there is no need to be afraid.

I was just showing how a scene like the new york radar could have easily been colored different and that he took the lazy way; pretend the work shown was something he did and not something I did. Changing the uniform from army camo to navy camo was easy, just like giving the guy blonde hair instead of brown hair. I also updated a few other scenes with some more color "pop"

#41 4 years ago

His only working products are nothing but public projects from others which he took and then pretended that he did it. DMDMK66 (RGB.DMD from ecurtz with modified boot splash) , DMDST32 (PIN2DMD with modified boot splash). None of his own projects have ever come to life because of the lack of skills. Thats why I´m confident that he can never make any use of your colorizations.

2 months later
#42 4 years ago

Hello

I just added the pin2dmd to my Godzilla. I have just one question regarding the colorization.
Some scenes don't seem to be colorized (maybe they haven't been colorized yet).
This video sequence for example

On my pin it's not colorized.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Thanks for your help!

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#43 4 years ago

if you can provide a dump of it not working it'd speed up debugging. When I colored this game I didnt have access to a real pin I was coloring it based on the VPIN.

If you give me a list of everything that isnt working for you, I'll see what I can do to get it all working.

#44 4 years ago

That would be awesome! Very much appreciated, Malenko
I'll try to make a dump file. If not successfull I'll take pictures of the scenes that aren`t colorized.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2dmd-colorization-of-godzilla and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.