(Topic ID: 207038)

Pin2DMD colorization of....... Baywatch!

By Rappelbox

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 237 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Stebel
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

caroline.gif
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-20 at 19.35.18 (resized).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-20 at 19.35.16 (resized).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-20 at 19.35.17 (resized).jpeg
20201117_093746 (resized).jpg
20201117_092717 (resized).jpg
20201117_093247 (resized).jpg
20201116_190432 (resized).jpg
20201116_190516 (resized).jpg
20201116_190557 (resized).jpg
20201116_190559 (resized).jpg
9BD1BA12-6805-469C-B82C-EF1AA3BF5814 (resized).jpeg
superjp (resized).png
Bonus (resized).png
541c11bdcc89e788361bec06dec54c9555612dec.png (resized).jpg
9324d0592cd8d9f350f57b3faa4d02e1becabff2.png (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lucky1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

I have the latest code - Chad's release 4.01. Also, I know of another person that is experiencing the exact same problem that I am. Does anyone have this working with satisfactory results?

Please provide more details. Which scene is not working ? Did you check your RGB sequence in the onscreen menu like I told you ?
Which firmware version are you running ?

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

This is why I am weary of getting a pin2dmd...seems like a lot of work and a lot of bugs. I liked that I could just plop the color dmd in and load the rom and I was done.

The problem is that neither Malenko,nor Rappelbox and I have a Baywatch. So we can only test it with virtual pinmame and the help of the community to fix colorization bugs. (Remember pin2dmd originally is a non commercial DIY community project) If you don´t have the time to help to fix the colorization work of Malenko and Rappelbox you can still run in 4 color mode and wait until all bugs in the colorization are fixed. PIN2DMD firmware is stable in that mode for more than a year now and running without a problem in more than 100 pin2dmd XL installations.

#53 6 years ago

A list of what is wrong would help to keep track of it.
From what I can see
- Scrolling Baywatch Logo Intro
- Normal Score Display
- Guard
- Tidal Wave
- Laser Kick
- Match
- Caroline
- Replay

Maybe you can add

#60 6 years ago

You must separate between scenes that are generated from video snippets (like the beach babes at start) and scenes that are animated (like beach babe in bikini). Video snippets are hard to colorize by hand because they use dithering to generate different shades which is nearly impossible to colorize by hand. They look best in monochromatic mode or even better replaced by importing videos from the original TV series. I think Malenko only colorized animations and did not take the time to watch the series to get suitable video sequences. That is why he chose the monochromatic mostly mono blue way for those scenes. All PIN2DMD colorizations are community projects and the project files are shared. So if anybody wants to take the task to find suitable video snippets, they can be added to the project with Steves free downloadable pin2dmd editor from here https://bintray.com/sker65/pin2dmd/Editor2

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from iEatHands:

So how do I update my early release board to the latest version?

For the early versions running V1.x firmware you need a ST-Link V2 USB dongle from e.g. ebay. These cost around 2$ depending on where you get them from. Simply search for ST link V2. Once you upgraded to the latest version (v2.10) all further upgrades use the SD card. You can download the firmware here https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/firmware/latest/CUSTOM

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

I upgraded mine a while back and just checked and am running V 2.02. do I need to upgrade my firmware again or just change my .bin file to run V 2.10?

You should upgrade to the latest version to have easy SD card update for the future.

1 week later
#82 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

I hope the other 5 don't need to be fixed like this one.

Colorization with pin2dmd consists of two tasks. First you need to colorize the scenes, which is very time consuming and then need to assign starting points for the playback of these scenes / frames. Malenko took care of the first part but the second needs testing an a real machine which is impossible to do without access to one. That is where the help of the community, like you offered, is very much appreciated.

As much as most people prefer the lazy way, PIN2DMD lives from the collaboration and contribution of the community.

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

If you were great at coloring and Lucky was great at triggering, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Could it be you're both great at what you're doing, but the software doesn't work as advertised. I don't know, but nobody is admitting that either. What I do know is, it doesn't work correctly. That is the fact - nobody can argue with it.

That the software (firmware and editor) is working correctly has been proven many times through colorizations which are in a finished state, like Streetfighter 2, The Simpsons pinball party etc. The only thing that is missing for this project for us, is access to a real machine. That is why it is released in a alpha state. Unfortunately although you offered your help, you don´t seem to be the right person. Instead of providing useful information you prefer to complain about things. So if anybody else, who is more positive, is willing to invest his time feel free to contact me to productively work on the problems to be solved.

#97 6 years ago

A few baywatch owners contacted me and I will try to fix the remaining problems with them. I will use the list from sudsy as a starting point, but first I need to setup a test system for 192x64 on my desk.

1 week later
#104 6 years ago
Quoted from merccat:

I ordered a diy kit coming close to 3 weeks ago from UncleSash at VPUniverse. Asked last week if there was any tracking info, said he’s look into it then nothing.
The pinned order thread says shipping is USPS priority of which I get automatically notified for by usps as soon as something addressed to me hits their system so I know it hasn’t even been mailed yet.
I’m probably about 2-3 days from going ahead and opening a dispute then forgetting about Pin2DMD. Bummer too since I already bought and recieved the panels, power supply and Nucleo board.
I was so excited to give it a shot with my TZ too.

Sasha is on a business trip for his real job from beginning of last week until thursday this week.

#105 6 years ago

I fixed some triggering issues in Malenkos project and just updated the project files in the google drive link in the first post.
You are adviced to use it with latest firmware 2.11 version of pin2dmd XL from my github account.
https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/firmware/latest
I added color correction to this firmware to have better color matching to the editor colors.

I used all scenes colored by Malenko but there are still video sequences which would look best if we had the original video snippet to extract the color from.

Give it a try if you want.

#107 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

I fixed some triggering issues in Malenkos project and just updated the project files in the google drive link in the first post.
You are adviced to use it with latest firmware 2.11 version of pin2dmd XL from my github account.
https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/firmware/latest
I added color correction to this firmware to have better color matching to the editor colors.
I used all scenes colored by Malenko but there are still video sequences which would look best if we had the original video snippet to extract the color from.
Give it a try if you want.

Videos of what is not working are appreciated.

#110 6 years ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Competition is good!

True ! It is questionable wether a LED version would exist, but definitely no Sega version without the PIN2DMD project.
But now back to the topic.

#115 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

The 3 things that stand out the most at this point are:
1. Match sequence is not in full color (i.e., no red swimsuits, blond/brown hair, blue squid girl, etc.).
2. Tidal Wave - it goes in and out between color and mono blue.
3. Ball Locks - they also go in and out between color and mono blue. Also, there is a ghost image of the ball rolling up the ramp for some reason.
There are also monochromatic frames during many transitions (like perhaps the correct keyframe wasn't chosen?).
Also, a lot of still frames are not colorized. I know that a lot of scenes were not colorized due to a higher level of difficulty, but the ones I am talking about are just still frames. Not sure if they were never colored or just not keyed.
» YouTube video

Thanks for the video !

1) Match - The sequence of the girls is random which needs special colorization work which is not done -
I made a replacement till it is done
2) Tidal wave - will fix the triggering of the start sequence but the successful end scene is missing colorization. I only have the scene where it crashes.
3) Ball lock - will fix triggering
4) Variety award - never seen this scene in the recordings -> needs colorization
5) Three of a kind - same as above
6) Shoot hole for extra ball - same as above
7) Multiball - Need the video snippets for the intro and colorization
8) Transitions need colorization. Currently only the end frames are colorized.

Except 2 and 3 the triggering is working fine. I will try to fix this.
I already told you that I´m not good in choosing colors that is why I leave
the colorization work to others. If it is done, I can easily add the scenes to the project.

#123 6 years ago

I must say that I´m also not satisfied how currently these things are handled and unfortunately I don´t have much influence on that.
I have no business partnerships with any of the hardware suppliers. From my side it is a hobby software project and the hardware part is DIY. From my experience with chinese suppliers I can tell you that it is hard to make any schedules but that is only an excuse for the late delivery and not for the bad communication. The only thing I can say is that there is not a single pin2dmd user I know of who did not get his display in the end. If anybody wants to jump in and sell pin2dmd compatible hardware kits, feel free. I´m happy about anybody helping this community project and I can provide the necessary information.

#124 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

just shoot me any scenes that need colored and I'll do them.

Will do, but first I need a recording of the missing scenes

#125 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

The 3 things that stand out the most at this point are:
1. Match sequence is not in full color (i.e., no red swimsuits, blond/brown hair, blue squid girl, etc.).
2. Tidal Wave - it goes in and out between color and mono blue.
3. Ball Locks - they also go in and out between color and mono blue. Also, there is a ghost image of the ball rolling up the ramp for some reason.
There are also monochromatic frames during many transitions (like perhaps the correct keyframe wasn't chosen?).
Also, a lot of still frames are not colorized. I know that a lot of scenes were not colorized due to a higher level of difficulty, but the ones I am talking about are just still frames. Not sure if they were never colored or just not keyed.
» YouTube video

I uploaded a new version for testing the tidal wave intro and ball lock scene.

#130 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

I don't see any changes - both scenes look the same as the previous version.

I updated the project on google drive for public testing.

#132 6 years ago

2. a video would be helpful
3. I changed that palette because I did not like the other. Feel free to change it yourself to what you like

1 and 4. maybe the colorization of these frame ends to early. I adjusted the times a bit. Let´s see if it helps.
New files on google drive.

Edit:
Changed the keyframing for Guard. Please test.

#135 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

No change.
» YouTube video

I changed the palette for surfboards.
Comparing the Guard pictures of my recordings and the pictures in your video there seems to be a
difference. I changed the keyframes again and hope that helps. Otherwise I need a new recording.
For the Lock scene I definitely need a new recording because I´m missing the end frames of the scene.
Please check the guard scene and the Tidal wave intro

#138 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

I figured out what happened in the CPR mode when the color palette changed this morning. When you are in the CPR mode, anytime the ball is ejected from the shark hole and then drains within a short period of time, you get a ball saver and the "Baywatch will be right back" frame is displayed, which uses a red/yellow palette. When the ball automatically returns to play then and the CPR scene continues, it retains that red/yellow palette for the remainder of the mode, instead of it's normal fleshtone palette. It's repeatable. I'm sure this will also occur in any mode that is interrupted by the "Baywatch will be right back" frame.

That is a good info about CPR mode. I will see if I can reproduce that behavior in my baywatch virtual pin and catch the moment where the CPR scene starts again. About recordings on real machines, the early versions of the custom controller used USB only to power for testing and not for communication. So dump recording depends on wether you get the device recognized in your PC or not.
We did not plan to do that when we started the XL project. Look in your device manager if anything comes up. I have to find out where the differences in recordings come from. Maybe Chads code changes are the reason ? I will check. What is your display version ? 4.00 ?

#139 6 years ago

New version is up for testing.
Changed

CPR after Drain
Tidal Wave
Guard
Ball Lock

#141 6 years ago

I don´t know if and when the design got changed. I only tested USB with the DIY Nucleo shield because I have a first generation board in my Batman Forever. Pinmame recordings work better anyway.
Did you test the latest files ?

#143 6 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Why are you guys still not communicating with people who paid a month ago?

You guys ? I can´t answer your questions because I have nothing to do with any of the hardware suppliers. Sorry.
If you are desperately waiting for an answer from Rappelbox best way is to give him a call. That is what I do if he is not answering my mails. https://germangamingsupplies.com/Impressum

#145 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Is that a "yes" to my question?

No it is a I don´t know. He talked to me about that but I don´t know whether he changed the design.

#159 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

The good news is Guard scene is now working perfectly. Video is better than words for the rest, but summary is:
1. The CPR mode after ball save no longer changes to the red/yellow palette, but it now goes in and out of mono blue.
2. Tidal wave intro may have improved somewhat but still not right. On the bright side, it doesn't look like ball save affects it colors.
3. Chopper Rescue mode is affected by ball save - sometimes it goes mono blue, sometimes red/yellow.
4. Diver Trapped mode is affected by ball save - sometimes it goes mono blue, sometimes red/yellow.
5. Shark Cove mode is curious because the "Baywatch will be right back" screen is a blue palette when activated (instead of normal red/yellow). Looks like the Shark Cove blue palette is affecting the ball save screen palette in this mode?
In addition, I noticed the Guard Millions screen momentarily uses the blue mono palette when it resets sometimes.
One more thing, the Earthquake mode needs to be colored (I know, I know you are not responsible for coloring! Just bringing it to everyone's attention).
***EDIT: Ball lock scene still displays blue mono at end***
» YouTube video

1.) I think there is missing one keyframe I need to add. Should not be a problem
2.) Good thing is I catched the first frame for triggering finaly, but still some triggers/wrong missing
3.-5.) I need a recording of all scenes with "right back interruption" Will see if I can get them
I need also a recording for the Earthquake mode. Have to look how to get there
I will see what I can do about the last frame of Ball Lock

We are getting ahead. Thanks for the input.

Did you have a look at the windows device manager to see if anything changes when you plug in the USB ?

#163 6 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

An off topic but slightly on topic question. I have a pin2dmd with below controller board. Thinking about giving coloring a JP a try but as this board is not white it can’t be used to dump recordings on SD ? Guess I will have to learn than also virtual pinball ... trying to keep it as easy as possible. Having already a RasPiSound board which is giving me a headache

These boards only exist for pin2dmd-XL (Sega192x64). You can use your micro USB connector to record your play to a windows PC using pin2dmd.exe.
Instructions are on pin2dmd.com

#165 6 years ago

Updated the files on google drive and added some triggers from new recording.
Please test

#167 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Will do. I also have a question, and this is meant as constructive criticism. Don't you think the art editing window should be as big as possible in the editor? Maybe something like pictured below (before and after). It sure would make it a lot easier to colorize frames. Seems like so much wasted space in the current GUI. I know there is the zoom feature, but it is obviously better to see the whole picture as large as possible. Seems like this would be a very easy change to make to the editor. Am I missing something?

I´m not the right person to address this to but seems like a good idea. The editor is done by steve45 .
Best place to report bugs and requests is here https://github.com/sker65/go-dmd-clock/issues

#170 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

I didn't see improvement on any of the scenes.
I PM'd steve45 so we'll see what he says with regard to the editor re-sizing suggestion.
EDIT: Wow - quick response from steve45:
"Of course this could be done. Not sure when I will have time though. I'll give you an update when I improve the layout."

I forgot to update the real pin exports. Please try again.

#171 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

I tried my hand at colorizing a couple of frames. They turned out OK I guess. Now I want to share these scenes and palettes with you so you can key them into the master source files. Would I just "Save single Animation" and "Save Palette" for each of them, then send the resulting files to you for import and keyframe assignment - is that how the process works?

What you describe is how you could merge your colorizations into the project. You should learn to assign keyframes yourself.
I´m only here to help and fix problematic triggers / scenes.

#175 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Some things look better now.

3.+ 5. I need a recording of this when it happens to fix it.
4. forgot to fix this - will do

So only these 3 little things left which do not trigger correctly. Great !

To fix the problems of the editor it is missing two things if I understand right.
Append the palette when importing, export and import of keyframes.
This should be addressed to @steve45
For now you can change the palette number in the xml import file accordingly
and add the keyframe by hand. You also can change back to ColMask after import.

About the community working together. Until now the collaboration on such projects
has been equal to none. Most wait for other to make the work. That is why these bugs /
missing features have not been recognized.

#177 6 years ago

I uploaded a new version of the project which should fix ball lock end and color offset in tidal wave jetski.
The problem with the shorts is that I´m simply to lazy to color and trigger all frames (positions of the guy).
If somebody wants this to be fixed feel free to add the missing frames / triggers.
I changed the start trigger for diver right back, hope that helps. Otherwise it would need a recording of that
missing frame. The same with CPR.

I consider this project as stable from my side for now as the only thing that is missing are some frames not colorized and triggered. There is always room for improvement and you will always find something that is not looking as you wish but the good thing is that you can change it on your own. I think it is proven that colorization of Sega 192x64 pinball machines is working with the current release of the editor and firmware and that is all I wanted to verify from my side. Thanks for the great colorization work to @Malenko. He really deserves a donation for the work he made here. And thanks to all other beta testers that provided valuable feedback.

In the next days I will release a new version of the firmware for XL which improves the live preview function in the editor. I tested all keyframes playing back the recordings provided with the pin2dmd.pal and fsq on the SD card. That way you can see how it would look in the real machine.

Would love to see some gameplay videos now.

I you have any problems with your own project feel free to contact me through PM.

P.S. Next project Batman Forever

#179 6 years ago

I updated the project files. Should fix CPR and diver trapped after right back.

Maybe Malenko or anyone else wants to better colorize some more scenes.
I think these scenes could be easily done:

- special is lit
- diver trapped
- spell shark
- two girls from the replay animation
- CPR
- complete cast (a better palette for skintones would already help)
- shark killed

More work needed is for

- video modes like ski and running
- chopper rescue
- match sequence

#182 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

CPR works. Diver trapped still changing colors.

I need a recording from the diver scene which is not working then.
Add match sequence to the list above.

New firmware 2.12 with improved editor preview support is on github
https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/firmware/latest/CUSTOM

#184 6 years ago

Project files updated !
Diver trapped should work now.

#186 6 years ago

Now let´s see a video of a gameplay

#191 6 years ago

I updated the project with "variety award" and "3-of-a-kind" colorizations

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1xZocmA6MZud1ZMt-mUAkabTApzPe8HmU?usp=sharing

9324d0592cd8d9f350f57b3faa4d02e1becabff2.png (resized).jpg9324d0592cd8d9f350f57b3faa4d02e1becabff2.png (resized).jpg
541c11bdcc89e788361bec06dec54c9555612dec.png (resized).jpg541c11bdcc89e788361bec06dec54c9555612dec.png (resized).jpg

#193 6 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

You are aware that this is a project based on pin2dmd and that these files don’t work on colordmd?

He was talking about the latest XL firmware because he needs to upgrade from 1.x to 2.5x to make the colorization work.

1 month later
#203 5 years ago
Quoted from foxtj24:

I am getting a baywatch with a pin2dmdxl already installed. It looks like it just has the 4 color template on it. What are the steps to getting it to the full color release?

You also have to check the firmware version and should upgrade if necessary following the instructions on pin2dmd.com.

1 month later
#207 5 years ago
Quoted from JellyNeck:

Yea. I'm not confident that there will be any more updates. Neat...

I am Received this and others from a forum member. Now needs only to be integrated into Malenkos project

Bonus (resized).pngBonus (resized).png

1 month later
#215 5 years ago

Project has been updated with the graphics received from the community. Download see first post.
superjp (resized).pngsuperjp (resized).png

#216 5 years ago

Forgot to keyframe one scene (activate LaserKick) ! Updated !

2 years later
#219 3 years ago
Quoted from Seth1977:

if you look at the picture, its the only non color screen.

Which picture ?

Quoted from Seth1977:

I tried downloading the pindmd editor but not having any luck, I have a Mac so not sure If I can even do it.

Did you download the latest version and read the tutorial ?

Have a look here https://pin2dmd.com/#5

If you want anyone else to do it a dump with the scene would be very helpful. How to create a dump is described under 5.1 here https://pin2dmd.com/editor/

#221 3 years ago

That scene is colorized and those TV converted animations never look as good as Comic Style animations

1 month later
#224 3 years ago

This is a ST-Link interface. Depending on your controller and firmware version, you need that to update to the latest pin2dmd firmware.

#228 3 years ago

You need a ST-Link on a windows PC to update the software with the STM ST-Link software.

For Mac I found this link using google
https://forum.microej.com/t/flash-flashing-stm32-boards-from-a-linux-mac-os-environment/46
I never tried it but I would follow the instructions from here https://github.com/stlink-org/stlink

The firmware file for your hardware you need to upload is here https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/blob/master/firmware/latest/CUSTOM_XL/pin2dmd_XL.bin

Good thing is after you updated to the latest version you are able to use the SD card update feature in the future.

3 months later
#230 3 years ago

Change the RGB sequence https://pin2dmd.com/#3

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 259.00
Displays
Retrocity
Displays

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider lucky1.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2dmd-colorization-of-baywatch?tu=lucky1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.