(Topic ID: 207038)

Pin2DMD colorization of....... Baywatch!

By Rappelbox

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 237 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Stebel
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

caroline.gif
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-20 at 19.35.18 (resized).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-20 at 19.35.16 (resized).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-20 at 19.35.17 (resized).jpeg
20201117_093746 (resized).jpg
20201117_092717 (resized).jpg
20201117_093247 (resized).jpg
20201116_190432 (resized).jpg
20201116_190516 (resized).jpg
20201116_190557 (resized).jpg
20201116_190559 (resized).jpg
9BD1BA12-6805-469C-B82C-EF1AA3BF5814 (resized).jpeg
superjp (resized).png
Bonus (resized).png
541c11bdcc89e788361bec06dec54c9555612dec.png (resized).jpg
9324d0592cd8d9f350f57b3faa4d02e1becabff2.png (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rappelbox.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

Hello Pinsiders!

Complete credits for this work go to Malenko lucky1 and steve45 for their work on pin2dmd, editor and the colorization!!!

Please support them by donating to www.pin2dmd.com ,

respectively to

http://www.paypal.me/Malenk0

Usage:
Owners of a PIN2DMD-XL can simply copy the provided pin2dmd.pal and pin2dmd.fsq over to their SD-Cards, reboot the dmd by pressing both the user and menu button and enjoy their new colorful Baywatch...
Simple as that!!!
This Colorization only works with PIN2DMD-XL!!!

The files are here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1xZocmA6MZud1ZMt-mUAkabTApzPe8HmU?usp=sharing

PIN2DMD-XL can be bought at my pinside shop:
https://pinside.com/pinball/biz/directory/1175-ggs

or on my own shop:
https://germangamingsupplies.com/RGBPINDMD-XL-192x64-DMD-for-Sega

Video preview at early stage beta:

credits (resized).pngcredits (resized).png

bikini (resized).pngbikini (resized).png

highscore (resized).pnghighscore (resized).png

score (resized).pngscore (resized).png

sharkbite (resized).pngsharkbite (resized).png

surfingsonic (resized).pngsurfingsonic (resized).png

tidalwave (resized).pngtidalwave (resized).png

truck (resized).pngtruck (resized).png

Screenshot (71) (resized).pngScreenshot (71) (resized).png

Screenshot (72) (resized).pngScreenshot (72) (resized).png

Screenshot (74) (resized).pngScreenshot (74) (resized).png

Screenshot (77) (resized).pngScreenshot (77) (resized).png

Screenshot (81) (resized).pngScreenshot (81) (resized).png

Screenshot (83) (resized).pngScreenshot (83) (resized).png

Screenshot (84) (resized).pngScreenshot (84) (resized).png

#7 6 years ago

waiting for the beta testers to send me new videos.

Pictures of product itself below

PIN2DMD-XL_1 (resized).jpgPIN2DMD-XL_1 (resized).jpg

PIN2DMD-XL_5 (resized).jpgPIN2DMD-XL_5 (resized).jpg

#11 6 years ago

Mostly,

I still believe the external power source is more reliable and therefore i still go with it.
We stopped the time to install everything and the difference to an original DMD was approximately 2 minutes.
All done by 1st time buyer with close to no experience in mounting and unmounting DMDs before.

Instruction manual is included in my sets.

Apart from the additional power wiring everything else is stock, original mounting points, same spacers and distance points, no custom cables whatsoever!!!

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

any trade in on the old stuff?

It's basically the same hardware but with improved details... PM me

#16 6 years ago

The provided files above are for the users that already own a PIN2DMD-XL!

new DMDs will be delivered with files if i'm asked to do so. (hope this is the right way to say it and the meaning didn't get lost in translation)

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Take him up on this. It'll save you some work and time when you get it for installation.

let me quote myself...

Quoted from Rappelbox:

Usage:
Owners of a PIN2DMD-XL can simply copy the provided pin2dmd.pal and pin2dmd.fsq over to their SD-Cards, reboot the dmd by pressing both the user and menu button and enjoy their new colorful Baywatch...
Simple as that!!!

#20 6 years ago

It is a 5V Power supply with precrimped wires, already connected to the DMD and professional grade connectors.
It taps into the power cord of the machine and comes with detailed instructions.

Basically it only serves as a backup to avoid rebooting of the DMD controller board which is a common issue on these Sega DMDs.

My DMD is capable of working with the provided 5V from the game but i prefer it this way.

#22 6 years ago

Yes!!!

The set contains:
DMD, Cables, Power supply, Instruction manual, installation manual, MicroSD-Card, Usb to MicroSD card adaptor

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

I installed the 2 files on mine, and so far, am not getting very good results. I hope it is just a setting in the options or something simple like that. The colors are not matching Rappelbox post and the colors seem to lag the frames on some screens. For instance, on the intro scene when the BATWATCH title scrolls across the screen, the outline of the letters lag behind the coloring. The only files on the SD card (4GB card that came with the unit) are the .key, .pal, and .fsq files. I should have the latest and greatest hardware/firmware since I just received it about a week ago. Any suggestions?

I‘m looking for it now

#28 6 years ago

Updated with some bug fixes...
The link in the opening Post remains the same.

#32 6 years ago

Could you post a short clip if possible?

#38 6 years ago

with the files provided above you should AT LEAST see this attract mode, if NOT then we'll need to investigate more in detail.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from iEatHands:

Mine isn't working properly with the files I downloaded, looks like some of the colours are set to black when the screen boots because the squares are blank if you know what I mean.
» YouTube video

Thank you for feedback!!! This is FAR away from how it should look like!
Did you check the video above and if you have similarities?

...files updated

#42 6 years ago

please try the new files!

Could you please tell me about your pin2dmd?
White or black pcb?
Which firmware version (Pin2dmd) is displayed when the DMD boots?
Which Display ROM and CPU ROM is installed?

#44 6 years ago

OK,

You need to update the firmware to an actual state since the very first batch had not implemented full colorizations.
I'll send you all needed files and steps.

Firmwares after 2.05 can be updated via simple SD card operation, previous firmwares need to do it an other aproach.

#46 6 years ago

thanks for the comment

Firmware is ok

could you please check the alternative release i added to the google drive?
it is a different tree but should have fixed issues with the baywatch scrolling text and the attract mode should be without any issues.

#49 6 years ago

TY, would help on some small flaws

We found a way to resync the frames, which was implemented in PIN2DMD a while back but i didn't notice so far...
I'll update over the weekend and hope to get the missallignemt at least sorted out.

1 week later
#67 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Beach babes at start (all mono blue?)
All Life Guards report to the tower screen has remnant coloring in the lettering during transitions
Ball lock 1 is mono blue, but ball lock 2 and 3 have coloring
Shark Flip (when auto flip is activated) (all mono blue?)
S-H-A-R-K Fins target status (all mono blue?)
ATV (some momentary mono blue)
Wave Runner (some mono blue)
Bonus Girl (at the end of ball - all mono blue?)
Coast Guard Boat (at beginning of ball - supposed to be mono blue)
Stephanie (her picture mono blue?)
Matt (his picture mono blue?)
CJ (her picture mono blue?)
Mitch (his picture mono blue?)
Replay at X,XXX,XXX,XXX (the last digit is only half-colored)
Extra Ball Lit Screen and Extra Ball Achieved Screen
Guard Millions Mode (all mono blue)
Chopper Rescue Mode (all mono blue)
CPR mode (all mono blue?)
Multi Ball videos and jackpot status screen - all mono blue?
Diver Trapped Underwater scene (is everything supposed to be mono green?)
Water Ski Video (is everything supposed to be mono blue?)
Extra ball volley ball scene
3-way Combo
2 women racing on the beach (is it supposed to be blue sand and red water?)
Scarab (mono blue?)
Appears to be red masking occurring when the sharks are lurking in the bay - maybe that was intended to be blood when they are shot?
Variety Award screen - all mono blue?
SPF Multiplier Screen (all mono blue)

Thanks for the list!!!
I know it's been a while since my last visit here, but after a quick look at the list I see some scenes that i don't have found yet in my recording.
I need to do another recording.

After a talk to lucky1 we figured out that we better use our second coloring method.
This means we would convert all done animations to replacement scenes, but need to watch carefully since once they're converted it is nearly impossible to revert back.

I try to do a small youtube tutorial on coloring using my actual state on baywatch as this seems most practical to me so you guys and gals could try it out on a working project.

Afterwards we need to figure out a way how multiple people could contribute to an existing project...

Dom

#91 6 years ago

The main reason is simple:
Timings on real machines are different then on virtual, and therefore some things just simply don’t work like expected.
And to be honest, you’re wrong when you tell I doesn’t work. It does, but the triggers and some things have to be changed.

There is no doubt about the effort especially @malenko, lucky1 and other spend on Pin2dmd projects.
You might blame it on me, but not on them!!!

1 week later
#112 6 years ago

It's sad that colordmd fanboys need to push their product in pin2dmd threads whereas pin2dmd comments get bashed when we do it in their threads...

All open orders are being processed right now, the delay of the last days is mainly caused by shortage from supplier and a bad diarrhea on my side, SORRY for that!!!

whitout saying too much:
I'm going to show a little feature in the next few days that is only possible with the pin2dmd system...
The mother of all mods, the limit is your imagination!
If you want to know which machine i mean?! ALL

Greetings,
Dom

#147 6 years ago

Like lucky1 already said:
It depends wether your controller gets recognized in your windows pc or not. The usb connection has been changed in the middle of last year, and only white controllers are capable of recording. sudsy7 as long as I don’t know which controller you have exactly I can’t determine if yours is capable or not.

Collin and other customers:

Please contact me at my mail address [email protected] !!!
Or you can also CALL me via phone/ Facebook messenger/ WhatsApp etc.

#155 6 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

An off topic but slightly on topic question. I have a pin2dmd with below controller board. Thinking about giving coloring a JP a try but as this board is not white it can’t be used to dump recordings on SD ? Guess I will have to learn than also virtual pinball ... trying to keep it as easy as possible. Having already a RasPiSound board which is giving me a headache

The “white controller” was only related to pin2dmd-xl since that is a custom controller.
With the normal piggyback version (pin2dmd 128x32) you can record right from the start.

To start a recording you need to connect your computer to the controller via mini-usb (pin2dmd-xl) or micro-usb (pin2dmd).
Start the pin2dmd.exe (available from https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD?files=1) and select “start recording” in the lower left corner. Make sure you have downloaded the complete content of the github and unblocked the .dll files that are stored in The tools folder.

A txt-file will be saved to the folder of the pin2dmd.exe. Please zip that file using eg 7zip into a “recording.txt.gz” file.

#157 6 years ago

You’re right, “create dumpfile” is the correct term!
Once you connect the usb to the controller, do you get the typical connection signal? What windows version are you using?

Unblocking dll files is sometimes necessary when downloaded from the internet or different pc. Right click the dll file, go to properties and there you’ll find the unblocking checkbox. If there is none you don’t have to worry.

#162 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

It works! It was a driver problem. I had to use the Zadig utility to install the winusb driver. That tidbit of information would have saved me a lot of grief if it had been mentioned anywhere in the http://pin2dmd.com/tool/ page instructions. The github depository states that the PIN2DMD is registered automatically in windows as a winusb device - which wasn't true, at least not in my case. Anyway, thanks for the missing clue and this should help others avoid frustration in the future.
Lucky1 - I will make you a recording of what you are asking for above. Can I upload the dumpfile to the google drive or how shall we proceed?
UPDATE: Dumpfile is complete. Looks like I need permissions set to upload in to the google link?

Please send it to lucky1 or me we’ll then upload it for you. Thank you for sharing it to make it better!!!

1 week later
#195 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Did I miss the unveiling of this feature?

No, I didn't show it for now... Shipping of orders has priority as you can imagine! I don't want to let customers wait anymore!!!

#197 6 years ago

The scenes are all available on the google drive.
And yes, working on it

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rappelbox.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2dmd-colorization-of-baywatch?tu=Rappelbox and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.