(Topic ID: 207038)

Pin2DMD colorization of....... Baywatch!

By Rappelbox

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 237 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Stebel
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

caroline.gif
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-20 at 19.35.18 (resized).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-20 at 19.35.16 (resized).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-20 at 19.35.17 (resized).jpeg
20201117_093746 (resized).jpg
20201117_092717 (resized).jpg
20201117_093247 (resized).jpg
20201116_190432 (resized).jpg
20201116_190516 (resized).jpg
20201116_190557 (resized).jpg
20201116_190559 (resized).jpg
9BD1BA12-6805-469C-B82C-EF1AA3BF5814 (resized).jpeg
superjp (resized).png
Bonus (resized).png
541c11bdcc89e788361bec06dec54c9555612dec.png (resized).jpg
9324d0592cd8d9f350f57b3faa4d02e1becabff2.png (resized).jpg
There are 237 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Maybe Chads code changes are the reason ? I will check. What is your display version ? 4.00 ?

You should be using Chad's ROM version for your recordings. He changed some values, for instance 25M is displayed on chopper rescue screens for successful hit instead of 20M, so if you happen to be using that part of the frame for masking a keyframe it would affect the hash value I assume. Probably others as well. I also know he made some screens display that previously did not, so you probably would miss them for colorizing.

My display version is A4.00.

#152 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

My display version is A4.00.

That's weird. Mine is 4.01

#153 6 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

That's weird. Mine is 4.01

That's the CPU ROM Version. Look at the display version during bootup.

#154 6 years ago

Duh. I'm dumb.

#155 6 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

An off topic but slightly on topic question. I have a pin2dmd with below controller board. Thinking about giving coloring a JP a try but as this board is not white it can’t be used to dump recordings on SD ? Guess I will have to learn than also virtual pinball ... trying to keep it as easy as possible. Having already a RasPiSound board which is giving me a headache

The “white controller” was only related to pin2dmd-xl since that is a custom controller.
With the normal piggyback version (pin2dmd 128x32) you can record right from the start.

To start a recording you need to connect your computer to the controller via mini-usb (pin2dmd-xl) or micro-usb (pin2dmd).
Start the pin2dmd.exe (available from https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD?files=1) and select “start recording” in the lower left corner. Make sure you have downloaded the complete content of the github and unblocked the .dll files that are stored in The tools folder.

A txt-file will be saved to the folder of the pin2dmd.exe. Please zip that file using eg 7zip into a “recording.txt.gz” file.

#156 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

To start a recording you need to connect your computer to the controller via mini-usb (pin2dmd-xl) or micro-usb (pin2dmd).
Start the pin2dmd.exe (available from https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD?files=1) and select “start recording” in the lower left corner. Make sure you have downloaded the complete content of the github and unblocked the .dll files that are stored in The tools folder.

I don't have a "Start Recording" anywhere - I have a "Signal Enhancer" and "Create Dumpfile" checkbox in the lower left corner. The "Create Dumpfile" words are red-highlighted when I check that box, which I assume means it is recording, but I don't get any resultant txt file anywhere. The instructions say that you should be able to change the palette colors and see the result on the DMD, but it does not change when I do this so I evidently do not have communication between the PC and the controller board established. I am using version 2.53 of Pin2DMD.exe which is the latest version (at least when I was messing around with this a week or 2 ago) - maybe I need a different version for the XL?. I've tried it several times with no success. The only thing that you said that I do not understand is "unblocked the .dll files". I copied all the files to the PC - is there something I need to do to unblock them?

#157 6 years ago

You’re right, “create dumpfile” is the correct term!
Once you connect the usb to the controller, do you get the typical connection signal? What windows version are you using?

Unblocking dll files is sometimes necessary when downloaded from the internet or different pc. Right click the dll file, go to properties and there you’ll find the unblocking checkbox. If there is none you don’t have to worry.

#158 6 years ago

Hey Rappel, I sent you a message on Facebook, PayPal, and pinside. I can't call international numbers without cost. Can you reply on any of those platforms?

I think if you reply to my Facebook message I can call on there. I'm simply asking for the status of my order.

#159 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

The good news is Guard scene is now working perfectly. Video is better than words for the rest, but summary is:
1. The CPR mode after ball save no longer changes to the red/yellow palette, but it now goes in and out of mono blue.
2. Tidal wave intro may have improved somewhat but still not right. On the bright side, it doesn't look like ball save affects it colors.
3. Chopper Rescue mode is affected by ball save - sometimes it goes mono blue, sometimes red/yellow.
4. Diver Trapped mode is affected by ball save - sometimes it goes mono blue, sometimes red/yellow.
5. Shark Cove mode is curious because the "Baywatch will be right back" screen is a blue palette when activated (instead of normal red/yellow). Looks like the Shark Cove blue palette is affecting the ball save screen palette in this mode?
In addition, I noticed the Guard Millions screen momentarily uses the blue mono palette when it resets sometimes.
One more thing, the Earthquake mode needs to be colored (I know, I know you are not responsible for coloring! Just bringing it to everyone's attention).
***EDIT: Ball lock scene still displays blue mono at end***
» YouTube video

1.) I think there is missing one keyframe I need to add. Should not be a problem
2.) Good thing is I catched the first frame for triggering finaly, but still some triggers/wrong missing
3.-5.) I need a recording of all scenes with "right back interruption" Will see if I can get them
I need also a recording for the Earthquake mode. Have to look how to get there
I will see what I can do about the last frame of Ball Lock

We are getting ahead. Thanks for the input.

Did you have a look at the windows device manager to see if anything changes when you plug in the USB ?

#160 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

You’re right, “create dumpfile” is the correct term!
Once you connect the usb to the controller, do you get the typical connection signal? What windows version are you using?

Unblocking dll files is sometimes necessary when downloaded from the internet or different pc. Right click the dll file, go to properties and there you’ll find the unblocking checkbox. If there is none you don’t have to worry.

OK, I'll give it another shot tomorrow. Something came up I need to take care of right now. I'm running Windows 7 Professional.

#161 6 years ago

It works! It was a driver problem. I had to use the Zadig utility to install the winusb driver. That tidbit of information would have saved me a lot of grief if it had been mentioned anywhere in the http://pin2dmd.com/tool/ page instructions. The github depository states that the PIN2DMD is registered automatically in windows as a winusb device - which wasn't true, at least not in my case. Anyway, thanks for the missing clue and this should help others avoid frustration in the future.

Lucky1 - I will make you a recording of what you are asking for above. Can I upload the dumpfile to the google drive or how shall we proceed?

UPDATE: Dumpfile is complete. Looks like I need permissions set to upload in to the google link?

#162 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

It works! It was a driver problem. I had to use the Zadig utility to install the winusb driver. That tidbit of information would have saved me a lot of grief if it had been mentioned anywhere in the http://pin2dmd.com/tool/ page instructions. The github depository states that the PIN2DMD is registered automatically in windows as a winusb device - which wasn't true, at least not in my case. Anyway, thanks for the missing clue and this should help others avoid frustration in the future.
Lucky1 - I will make you a recording of what you are asking for above. Can I upload the dumpfile to the google drive or how shall we proceed?
UPDATE: Dumpfile is complete. Looks like I need permissions set to upload in to the google link?

Please send it to lucky1 or me we’ll then upload it for you. Thank you for sharing it to make it better!!!

#163 6 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

An off topic but slightly on topic question. I have a pin2dmd with below controller board. Thinking about giving coloring a JP a try but as this board is not white it can’t be used to dump recordings on SD ? Guess I will have to learn than also virtual pinball ... trying to keep it as easy as possible. Having already a RasPiSound board which is giving me a headache

These boards only exist for pin2dmd-XL (Sega192x64). You can use your micro USB connector to record your play to a windows PC using pin2dmd.exe.
Instructions are on pin2dmd.com

#164 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

These boards only exist for pin2dmd-XL (Sega192x64). You can use your micro USB connector to record your play to a windows PC using pin2dmd.exe.
Instructions are on pin2dmd.com

Thanks. Already read the instructions from rappelbox and made a recording on my JP which I can open in pin2dmd editor. Now the hard part ......

#165 6 years ago

Updated the files on google drive and added some triggers from new recording.
Please test

#166 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Updated the files on google drive and added some triggers from new recording.
Please test

Will do. I also have a question, and this is meant as constructive criticism. Don't you think the art editing window should be as big as possible in the editor? Maybe something like pictured below (before and after). It sure would make it a lot easier to colorize frames. Seems like so much wasted space in the current GUI. I know there is the zoom feature, but it is obviously better to see the whole picture as large as possible. Seems like this would be a very easy change to make to the editor. Am I missing something?

Better 2 (resized).jpgBetter 2 (resized).jpg
Better1 (resized).jpgBetter1 (resized).jpg

#167 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Will do. I also have a question, and this is meant as constructive criticism. Don't you think the art editing window should be as big as possible in the editor? Maybe something like pictured below (before and after). It sure would make it a lot easier to colorize frames. Seems like so much wasted space in the current GUI. I know there is the zoom feature, but it is obviously better to see the whole picture as large as possible. Seems like this would be a very easy change to make to the editor. Am I missing something?

I´m not the right person to address this to but seems like a good idea. The editor is done by steve45 .
Best place to report bugs and requests is here https://github.com/sker65/go-dmd-clock/issues

#168 6 years ago

I didn't see improvement on any of the scenes.

I PM'd steve45 so we'll see what he says with regard to the editor re-sizing suggestion.

EDIT: Wow - quick response from @steve45:
"Of course this could be done. Not sure when I will have time though. I'll give you an update when I improve the layout."

#169 6 years ago

I tried my hand at colorizing a couple of frames. They turned out OK I guess. Now I want to share these scenes and palettes with you so you can key them into the master source files. Would I just "Save single Animation" and "Save Palette" for each of them, then send the resulting files to you for import and keyframe assignment - is that how the process works?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#170 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

I didn't see improvement on any of the scenes.
I PM'd steve45 so we'll see what he says with regard to the editor re-sizing suggestion.
EDIT: Wow - quick response from steve45:
"Of course this could be done. Not sure when I will have time though. I'll give you an update when I improve the layout."

I forgot to update the real pin exports. Please try again.

#171 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

I tried my hand at colorizing a couple of frames. They turned out OK I guess. Now I want to share these scenes and palettes with you so you can key them into the master source files. Would I just "Save single Animation" and "Save Palette" for each of them, then send the resulting files to you for import and keyframe assignment - is that how the process works?

What you describe is how you could merge your colorizations into the project. You should learn to assign keyframes yourself.
I´m only here to help and fix problematic triggers / scenes.

#172 6 years ago

Enhanced the editor layout, so that preview makes use of all remaining space. Hope it fits on everybodys screen.

Find the new version here: bintray.com/sker65/pin2dmd/Editor2/latest#files

Thx Steve

Pin2dmd_Editor-new-layout (resized).jpgPin2dmd_Editor-new-layout (resized).jpg

#173 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

I forgot to update the real pin exports. Please try again.

Some things look better now.
1. Chopper Rescue does not seem to be bothered by a ball save anymore - I would say it is fixed.
2. Tidal Wave intro appears to be working correctly now! There are some minor coloring issues during the scene but they have been there all along and you can see them in previous videos - notice the coloring for the girl on the jet ski is slightly out of sync sometimes. Also, the little guy running in front of the wave - his shorts are not colored sometimes.
3. CPR still goes in and out of mono blue, but it doesn't seem to do it as much as it used to.

These are the same:
4. Ball locks 1 and 2 still go to mono blue at the end.
5. Diver Trapped colors are still affected by ball save screen.

Quoted from lucky1:

What you describe is how you could merge your colorizations into the project. You should learn to assign keyframes yourself.
I´m only here to help and fix problematic triggers / scenes.

The correct way to merge is what really I'm really trying to figure out because in a community project like this, it would great if people could create and upload their own colorized scenes (including palettes and keyframes) to an online storage location where other people could view them, and if they like them, download them and merge them into their own project. So people can share, trade, pick and choose, and personalize their own machine to their liking. I thought this was kind of the whole purpose of the open source format. So, I thought maybe someone had already created a process for how to do this, but I can't find it documented anywhere. I have been told, in general, that it should be possible to do but I haven't actually seen it done yet. I tried to do it myself, but the scene mode changed (from color mask to replace) when I merged it and when I tried to import a new palette, it ended up replacing (deleting) an existing palette. So, I was hoping that you could do it and then tell us how to do it correctly. I didn't do a keyframe on these because I couldn't find anything in the menu for "exporting" or "saving" a keyframe.

#174 6 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Enhanced the editor layout, so that preview makes use of all remaining space. Hope it fits on everybodys screen.

Find the new version here: bintray.com/sker65/pin2dmd/Editor2/latest#files

I hope it fits everyone's screen, too. It fits mine perfectly! Thank you for the quick response Steve. Now I don't have to squint anymore!

#175 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Some things look better now.

3.+ 5. I need a recording of this when it happens to fix it.
4. forgot to fix this - will do

So only these 3 little things left which do not trigger correctly. Great !

To fix the problems of the editor it is missing two things if I understand right.
Append the palette when importing, export and import of keyframes.
This should be addressed to steve45
For now you can change the palette number in the xml import file accordingly
and add the keyframe by hand. You also can change back to ColMask after import.

About the community working together. Until now the collaboration on such projects
has been equal to none. Most wait for other to make the work. That is why these bugs /
missing features have not been recognized.

#176 6 years ago

Wow. Some great progress with the editor tonight. It has helped me compelete my colorization to what I am able to do. I still haven't figured out how to do the scenes with dynamic scoring or masking. I also, could use some help with making keyframes and finally uploading it back into my DMD.
This new editor sure helped colorize faster and find missed or skipped areas!!

Original colorizing effort (which I think looked pretty poor)
New pasting of actual graphic (which I think look pretty great)

Thanks for all the great work.

#177 6 years ago

I uploaded a new version of the project which should fix ball lock end and color offset in tidal wave jetski.
The problem with the shorts is that I´m simply to lazy to color and trigger all frames (positions of the guy).
If somebody wants this to be fixed feel free to add the missing frames / triggers.
I changed the start trigger for diver right back, hope that helps. Otherwise it would need a recording of that
missing frame. The same with CPR.

I consider this project as stable from my side for now as the only thing that is missing are some frames not colorized and triggered. There is always room for improvement and you will always find something that is not looking as you wish but the good thing is that you can change it on your own. I think it is proven that colorization of Sega 192x64 pinball machines is working with the current release of the editor and firmware and that is all I wanted to verify from my side. Thanks for the great colorization work to @Malenko. He really deserves a donation for the work he made here. And thanks to all other beta testers that provided valuable feedback.

In the next days I will release a new version of the firmware for XL which improves the live preview function in the editor. I tested all keyframes playing back the recordings provided with the pin2dmd.pal and fsq on the SD card. That way you can see how it would look in the real machine.

Would love to see some gameplay videos now.

I you have any problems with your own project feel free to contact me through PM.

P.S. Next project Batman Forever

#178 6 years ago

Here is a video of the CPR mode, and I will email you the Pin2DMD recording of the same session. The blue mono mode doesn't trigger off the ball saver now, it just comes on/off during the scene for some reason. Anyway, the entire scene is recorded here. Hopefully an easy fix.

#179 6 years ago

I updated the project files. Should fix CPR and diver trapped after right back.

Maybe Malenko or anyone else wants to better colorize some more scenes.
I think these scenes could be easily done:

- special is lit
- diver trapped
- spell shark
- two girls from the replay animation
- CPR
- complete cast (a better palette for skintones would already help)
- shark killed

More work needed is for

- video modes like ski and running
- chopper rescue
- match sequence

#180 6 years ago

There are many transition frames between scenes that need to be colored to give it a polished look. Also, don't forget the match sequence - the temp is ok, but it needs the colorized version to make it pop.

#181 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

I updated the project files. Should fix CPR and diver trapped after right back.

CPR works. Diver trapped still changing colors.

#182 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

CPR works. Diver trapped still changing colors.

I need a recording from the diver scene which is not working then.
Add match sequence to the list above.

New firmware 2.12 with improved editor preview support is on github
https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/firmware/latest/CUSTOM

#183 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

I need a recording from the diver scene which is not working then.

Here's the video. Sending corresponding pinball recording to your email.

#184 6 years ago

Project files updated !
Diver trapped should work now.

#185 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Diver trapped should work now.

Verified!

#186 6 years ago

Now let´s see a video of a gameplay

#187 6 years ago

I saw various upgrade and firmware topics but did not see anything about how to actually do it. I just bought a Baywatch with the a colorDMD (looks too be mid 2017). The files did not work for me, is there a place to get eh most up to date firmware for the Sega Pin2DMD?

Thanks

John

#189 6 years ago

Thanks! One last question. Can I flash the firmware with everything connected to dmd or should I unplug some of the connections from the pinball machine? Looks like it needs to be powered at least. Sorry for the slight derail, excited to take a look at the colorization.

John

#190 6 years ago

You can flash with everything hooked up.

#191 6 years ago

I updated the project with "variety award" and "3-of-a-kind" colorizations

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1xZocmA6MZud1ZMt-mUAkabTApzPe8HmU?usp=sharing

9324d0592cd8d9f350f57b3faa4d02e1becabff2.png (resized).jpg9324d0592cd8d9f350f57b3faa4d02e1becabff2.png (resized).jpg
541c11bdcc89e788361bec06dec54c9555612dec.png (resized).jpg541c11bdcc89e788361bec06dec54c9555612dec.png (resized).jpg

#192 6 years ago
Quoted from ViperJelly:

Thanks! One last question. Can I flash the firmware with everything connected to dmd or should I unplug some of the connections from the pinball machine? Looks like it needs to be powered at least. Sorry for the slight derail, excited to take a look at the colorization.
John

You are aware that this is a project based on pin2dmd and that these files don’t work on colordmd?

#193 6 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

You are aware that this is a project based on pin2dmd and that these files don’t work on colordmd?

He was talking about the latest XL firmware because he needs to upgrade from 1.x to 2.5x to make the colorization work.

#194 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

whitout saying too much:
I'm going to show a little feature in the next few days that is only possible with the pin2dmd system...
The mother of all mods, the limit is your imagination!
If you want to know which machine i mean?! ALL

Did I miss the unveiling of this feature?

#195 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Did I miss the unveiling of this feature?

No, I didn't show it for now... Shipping of orders has priority as you can imagine! I don't want to let customers wait anymore!!!

#196 6 years ago

Nice work on the scenes you did sudsy7. Is anybody currently working on the remaining uncolored scenes? Or able to get said scenes over to Malenko?

#197 6 years ago

The scenes are all available on the google drive.
And yes, working on it

#198 6 years ago

I'll be taking a look at the scenes this weekend, hopefully get them all done.

#199 6 years ago

Very nice work. I donated for the effort. I did notice some color change during transitions (it might actually be intentional). I can take some video tonight.

Chad H ROM + Pin2DMD really take this machine up a notch and it wasn't too bad to begin with.

John

3 weeks later
#200 6 years ago

Thanks to Rappelbox sudsy7 and lucky1 I've got mine in and working. Just wanting to confirm files on the Google drive in the first post are the most up to date colorization. Also...bump!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 259.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
PinSound

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 33.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 22.50
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 237 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2dmd-colorization-of-baywatch/page/4?hl=lucky1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.