(Topic ID: 207038)

Pin2DMD colorization of....... Baywatch!

By Rappelbox

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 237 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Stebel
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

caroline.gif
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-20 at 19.35.18 (resized).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-20 at 19.35.16 (resized).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-20 at 19.35.17 (resized).jpeg
20201117_093746 (resized).jpg
20201117_092717 (resized).jpg
20201117_093247 (resized).jpg
20201116_190432 (resized).jpg
20201116_190516 (resized).jpg
20201116_190557 (resized).jpg
20201116_190559 (resized).jpg
9BD1BA12-6805-469C-B82C-EF1AA3BF5814 (resized).jpeg
superjp (resized).png
Bonus (resized).png
541c11bdcc89e788361bec06dec54c9555612dec.png (resized).jpg
9324d0592cd8d9f350f57b3faa4d02e1becabff2.png (resized).jpg
There are 237 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Here are some game play videos (using your primary release). Let me know if I can help in any other way.

Some of it looks great, but there are definitely some serious issues there. Such potential, though. I hope they are able to figure out what's going on and fix it. The hardware in your game is clearly running the code differently than the emulator.

#52 6 years ago

They will get it working - it's just going to take a little time. I haven't run into a simulator yet that could model real world hardware perfectly. Always requires some tweaking

#53 6 years ago

A list of what is wrong would help to keep track of it.
From what I can see
- Scrolling Baywatch Logo Intro
- Normal Score Display
- Guard
- Tidal Wave
- Laser Kick
- Match
- Caroline
- Replay

Maybe you can add

#54 6 years ago

Until I learn how to get into the editing software, I'm not sure what was intended to be colored and perhaps isn't because it isn't being triggered properly right now. So, here is a list, and some of it may not apply because some things might have been intended to be what I'm calling monochromatic blue (perhaps a 4-color palette with black, white, and 2 shades of blue?), but I thought I would include everything I noted,valid or not, while I was reviewing the videos. I realize that a lot of the video scenes are probably just too complex/detailed to color dot-by-dot so they were likely just "shaded" with "mono blue". Malenko spent a lot of time colorizing this game, so he could probably notate what was actually colorized with a quick perusal of this list.

Beach babes at start (all mono blue?)
All Life Guards report to the tower screen has remnant coloring in the lettering during transitions
Ball lock 1 is mono blue, but ball lock 2 and 3 have coloring
Shark Flip (when auto flip is activated) (all mono blue?)
S-H-A-R-K Fins target status (all mono blue?)
ATV (some momentary mono blue)
Wave Runner (some mono blue)
Bonus Girl (at the end of ball - all mono blue?)
Coast Guard Boat (at beginning of ball - supposed to be mono blue)
Stephanie (her picture mono blue?)
Matt (his picture mono blue?)
CJ (her picture mono blue?)
Mitch (his picture mono blue?)
Replay at X,XXX,XXX,XXX (the last digit is only half-colored)
Extra Ball Lit Screen and Extra Ball Achieved Screen
Guard Millions Mode (all mono blue)
Chopper Rescue Mode (all mono blue)
CPR mode (all mono blue?)
Multi Ball videos and jackpot status screen - all mono blue?
Diver Trapped Underwater scene (is everything supposed to be mono green?)
Water Ski Video (is everything supposed to be mono blue?)
Extra ball volley ball scene
3-way Combo
2 women racing on the beach (is it supposed to be blue sand and red water?)
Scarab (mono blue?)
Appears to be red masking occurring when the sharks are lurking in the bay - maybe that was intended to be blood when they are shot?
Variety Award screen - all mono blue?
SPF Multiplier Screen (all mono blue)

#55 6 years ago

I'm assuming the mono blue stuff is not how it's supposed to look based on these fully colorized images ...

Baywatch (resized).pngBaywatch (resized).png
Baywatch 2 (resized).jpgBaywatch 2 (resized).jpg
Baywatch 3 (resized).jpgBaywatch 3 (resized).jpg

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm assuming the mono blue stuff is not how it's supposed to look based on fully colorized images like these ...

Wonder if the black of the water could be redone to blue by altering the source file slightly so that the black of the water was the same shade on the mask as the blue in the bikini.

bww (resized).pngbww (resized).png

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Wonder if the black of the water could be redone to blue by altering the source file slightly so that the black of the water was the same shade on the mask as the blue in the bikini.

It would be interesting to know what type of limitations they are up against. For example, how many different colors can they have in a single frame? It's gotta be a very painstaking job. I know it takes the ColorDMD guys a long time to colorize a game, and those DMDs have way less dots.

#58 6 years ago

It is not the amount of dots that takes time.

What is wrong with the water getting darker as the sun sets?

There are a lot of nice looking frames in this thread.

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

It is not the amount of dots that takes time.

They don't colorize it one pixel at a time?

#60 6 years ago

You must separate between scenes that are generated from video snippets (like the beach babes at start) and scenes that are animated (like beach babe in bikini). Video snippets are hard to colorize by hand because they use dithering to generate different shades which is nearly impossible to colorize by hand. They look best in monochromatic mode or even better replaced by importing videos from the original TV series. I think Malenko only colorized animations and did not take the time to watch the series to get suitable video sequences. That is why he chose the monochromatic mostly mono blue way for those scenes. All PIN2DMD colorizations are community projects and the project files are shared. So if anybody wants to take the task to find suitable video snippets, they can be added to the project with Steves free downloadable pin2dmd editor from here https://bintray.com/sker65/pin2dmd/Editor2

#61 6 years ago

So how do I update my early release board to the latest version?

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from iEatHands:

So how do I update my early release board to the latest version?

For the early versions running V1.x firmware you need a ST-Link V2 USB dongle from e.g. ebay. These cost around 2$ depending on where you get them from. Simply search for ST link V2. Once you upgraded to the latest version (v2.10) all further upgrades use the SD card. You can download the firmware here https://github.com/lucky01/PIN2DMD/tree/master/firmware/latest/CUSTOM

#63 6 years ago

I upgraded mine a while back and just checked and am running V 2.02. do I need to upgrade my firmware again or just change my .bin file to run V 2.10?

#64 6 years ago
Quoted from V_piscopo:

I upgraded mine a while back and just checked and am running V 2.02. do I need to upgrade my firmware again or just change my .bin file to run V 2.10?

You should upgrade to the latest version to have easy SD card update for the future.

#65 6 years ago

Another thing that will need to be addressed are the portal screens - the menu items at the bottom of the screen are blank/hidden.

DSCN2496 (resized).JPGDSCN2496 (resized).JPG

#66 6 years ago

Where are the colored animations shared? I downloaded the editor but can't load in the files you've already shared. If I have the time I wouldn't mind seeing what I can do about coloring some of the frames. I've worked in graphic design and have done a lot of pixel art for various websites. It might be fun project but it depends on how bad the files are and how clunky this editor is.

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Beach babes at start (all mono blue?)
All Life Guards report to the tower screen has remnant coloring in the lettering during transitions
Ball lock 1 is mono blue, but ball lock 2 and 3 have coloring
Shark Flip (when auto flip is activated) (all mono blue?)
S-H-A-R-K Fins target status (all mono blue?)
ATV (some momentary mono blue)
Wave Runner (some mono blue)
Bonus Girl (at the end of ball - all mono blue?)
Coast Guard Boat (at beginning of ball - supposed to be mono blue)
Stephanie (her picture mono blue?)
Matt (his picture mono blue?)
CJ (her picture mono blue?)
Mitch (his picture mono blue?)
Replay at X,XXX,XXX,XXX (the last digit is only half-colored)
Extra Ball Lit Screen and Extra Ball Achieved Screen
Guard Millions Mode (all mono blue)
Chopper Rescue Mode (all mono blue)
CPR mode (all mono blue?)
Multi Ball videos and jackpot status screen - all mono blue?
Diver Trapped Underwater scene (is everything supposed to be mono green?)
Water Ski Video (is everything supposed to be mono blue?)
Extra ball volley ball scene
3-way Combo
2 women racing on the beach (is it supposed to be blue sand and red water?)
Scarab (mono blue?)
Appears to be red masking occurring when the sharks are lurking in the bay - maybe that was intended to be blood when they are shot?
Variety Award screen - all mono blue?
SPF Multiplier Screen (all mono blue)

Thanks for the list!!!
I know it's been a while since my last visit here, but after a quick look at the list I see some scenes that i don't have found yet in my recording.
I need to do another recording.

After a talk to lucky1 we figured out that we better use our second coloring method.
This means we would convert all done animations to replacement scenes, but need to watch carefully since once they're converted it is nearly impossible to revert back.

I try to do a small youtube tutorial on coloring using my actual state on baywatch as this seems most practical to me so you guys and gals could try it out on a working project.

Afterwards we need to figure out a way how multiple people could contribute to an existing project...

Dom

#68 6 years ago

If you need me to color anything else, LMK. I started using the second coloring method a while ago, Godzilla was the first game where it didnt look like I had to.

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

I try to do a small youtube tutorial on coloring using my actual state on baywatch as this seems most practical to me so you guys and gals could try it out on a working project.

Make your dump file available to everyone as soon as you build it. I think I'm ready to color some scenes now - doesn't look difficult once you get used to the editor. If we can copy palettes, scenes and keyframes from project-to-project (i.e., contributors can freely trade artwork amongst each other), I think it would greatly speed the project up. I have been told, in general, that it should be possible to do that, but explicit instuctions on exactly how to do it in your tutorial would help.

#70 6 years ago

Make your own dump file? Its easy peasy.

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

Shouldn't be difficult then to outline it for us or make a tutorial?

#73 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I wouldn't exactly say triggering every animation in the game manually with the glass off is "easy peasy", especially if you don't know all of them or aren't familiar with some of the more obscure and poorly documented recesses of code in some games.

If one person has done it, it's a good idea to share it.

#74 6 years ago

Description of the tool. Pretty much like handing a syllabus to a student and saying there you have it, now you know calculus.

#75 6 years ago

I want to purchase this, but it sounds like "still" frames are colored quite nicely but "action" frames are all just shades of blue?

#76 6 years ago

I want it too, but I want it fully colored and working

#77 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Description of the tool. Pretty much like handing a syllabus to a student and saying there you have it, now you know calculus.

hook USB cord up between pin2dmd hardware and a computer , run the software, hit capture, trigger the animations you want to capture.

Now you know calculus.

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I want to purchase this, but it sounds like "still" frames are colored quite nicely but "action" frames are all just shades of blue?

No, the only sequences I didnt color, that were recorded, were the "digitialized video" scenes and the video mode.

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

hook USB cord up between pin2dmd hardware and a computer , run the software, hit capture, trigger the animations you want to capture.

Now you know calculus.

I would bet you a $1000 if anyone ran those instructions you "describe", they would not end up with a dump file - just more questions. They're not complete and contain no detail. Good thing you don't defuse bombs for a living.

We have plenty of dump files to work with now - just a few scenes missing and Dom is acquiring them for us. No need for anyone to get derailed on dump file generation. If you really want to help, make some training videos on scene colorization and show us all your tricks.

#80 6 years ago

I learned how to dump games with the link I sent the first time, I summarized it with my previous post, I provided the same instruction to Scotty C; so I guess you owe me $1,000 ? Scotty's SMB thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2dmd-colorization-of-super-mario-bros

All you do to dump the DMD graphics is hook up the pin2dmd hardware to a computer, hit capture, and then trigger the animations. Seriously, thats all there is to it. Then you have to GZ compress them to import into the editor. Its not rocket surgery.

Quoted from sudsy7:

If you really want to help.........

You mean in addition to coloring 6 games so far? In addition to releasing all the source files to games I wasnt hired to color? In addition to answering a deluge of PMs here and on VP universe?

I dont do videos but I did start a coloring guide : http://vpuniverse.com/forums/tutorials/article/11-malenkos-pin2dmd-colorization-tutorial/
I'm hoping my hundreds of hours coloring will lead to doubling up the dozens of dollars I've gotten in donations.

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

You mean in addition to coloring 6 games so far?

I hope the other 5 don't need to be fixed like this one.

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Colorization with pin2dmd consists of two tasks. First you need to colorize the scenes, which is very time consuming and then need to assign starting points for the playback of these scenes / frames. Malenko took care of the first part but the second needs testing an a real machine which is impossible to do without access to one. That is where the help of the community, like you offered, is very much appreciated.

As much as most people prefer the lazy way, PIN2DMD lives from the collaboration and contribution of the community.

#83 6 years ago

I'm excited for this one to get working and want to buy it.

#84 6 years ago

I'm excited for everyone else to get this working and then I'll buy it.

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Lucky helped me with pretty much all of them. I'm great at coloring dots (and drawing new sprites) , and all the scenes I colored turned out how I wanted, he is just better at getting them to trigger.

You are free to avoid using my colorizations if you'd like and I also love your trash talk considering I didn't even do any of the sequence triggering on this game

#86 6 years ago

I’d ease up on Malenko, he has at least put a great deal of time and effort in getting this colorized. It may not be working in an actual Baywatch pin yet but it’s a step in the right direction and should be commended.

#87 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I'm great at coloring dots (and drawing new sprites) , and all the scenes I colored turned out how I wanted, he is just better at getting them to trigger.

If you were great at coloring and Lucky was great at triggering, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Could it be you're both great at what you're doing, but the software doesn't work as advertised. I don't know, but nobody is admitting that either. What I do know is, it doesn't work correctly. That is the fact - nobody can argue with it.

You've been paid for coloring this title already (by your own admission), yet every time I message you, I get the "sure could use a donation for all my hard work" speech - makes it hard to believe you are in the user's corner. How many people do you think are going to donate anything for something that doesn't work? Point the blame wherever and at whoever you want - the fact is, it doesn't work and now has to be re-colorized.

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

If you were great at coloring and Lucky was great at triggering, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Could it be you're both great at what you're doing, but the software doesn't work as advertised. I don't know, but nobody is admitting that either. What I do know is, it doesn't work correctly. That is the fact - nobody can argue with it.

That the software (firmware and editor) is working correctly has been proven many times through colorizations which are in a finished state, like Streetfighter 2, The Simpsons pinball party etc. The only thing that is missing for this project for us, is access to a real machine. That is why it is released in a alpha state. Unfortunately although you offered your help, you don´t seem to be the right person. Instead of providing useful information you prefer to complain about things. So if anybody else, who is more positive, is willing to invest his time feel free to contact me to productively work on the problems to be solved.

#89 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

The only thing that is missing for this project for us, is access to a real machine.

You have access to anyone and everyone's Baywatch machine that owns a PIN2DMD-XL and there is no fee or donation required. All you have to do is post 2 files and 10 minutes later they can tell you if your changes work or they don't work. Why do you pretend like you guys didn't have people with REAL machines testing this before - I have spoken to them. They provided feedback to you guys - it apparently didn't work. What's changed?

#90 6 years ago

I love that you are trying to twist my words against me but the bulk of our conversation was you begging for source files, me saying that weren't mine to give because I was hired to color this game, you demanding I make tutorial videos because I make dozens of dollars coloring games, and then me saying I don't make enough dollars to make videos.

You can try to paint me into a corner and call me a greedy fuck; but my reputation has shown I'm not. If you had even bothered to try and record dmd playback I'd be a lot more willing to personally help you; but you can pound sand.

#91 6 years ago

The main reason is simple:
Timings on real machines are different then on virtual, and therefore some things just simply don’t work like expected.
And to be honest, you’re wrong when you tell I doesn’t work. It does, but the triggers and some things have to be changed.

There is no doubt about the effort especially @malenko, lucky1 and other spend on Pin2dmd projects.
You might blame it on me, but not on them!!!

#92 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I love that you are trying to twist my words against me but the bulk of our conversation was you begging for source files,

The source files are posted for anyone to download. I wouldn't beg your pardon.

#93 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

And to be honest, you’re wrong when you tell I doesn’t work. It does, but the triggers and some things have to be changed.

Sounds easy, let's do it.

#94 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

The source files are posted for anyone to download. I wouldn't beg your pardon.

I wish I could be more help but all I did was color the dots.
Capture2 (resized).PNGCapture2 (resized).PNG

Quoted from sudsy7:

Sounds easy, let's do it.

You have the source files and I told you how to record playback (so you have have the values from your actual machine in frame data in case yours differs from the recording)
So, do it.

I'm tapping out on this conversation.

#95 6 years ago

I'd be willing to do a temporary trade of my Baywatch for another game to get a Baywatch in the hands of someone who wants to tackle the coloring and needs a physical game.

#96 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I'd be willing to do a temporary trade of my Baywatch for another game to get a Baywatch in the hands of someone who wants to tackle the coloring and needs a physical game.

I have Terminator 2, Street Fighter II, and Comet (just finished a PF swap!) ; my Lethal Weapon 3 has its boards out for repair. Delaware too far?

#97 6 years ago

A few baywatch owners contacted me and I will try to fix the remaining problems with them. I will use the list from sudsy as a starting point, but first I need to setup a test system for 192x64 on my desk.

#98 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

I have Terminator 2, Street Fighter II, and Comet (just finished a PF swap!) ; my Lethal Weapon 3 has its boards out for repair. Delaware too far?

Delaware isn't toooo far, but I've owned the games you have and my wife would HATE to part with BW even just temporary. So I'd need a game in trade that we haven't had before and one that she would enjoy.

#99 6 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

I'm excited for everyone else to get this working and then I'll buy it.

That's exactly where I'm at on ordering this. I so want to, but...

#100 6 years ago

Just do it. There pretty sweet. 1/4 the sceenes are already colored with the supplied files. You could prob sell your old one for $100 to recoupe costs but I held on to mine just in case.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 33.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.00
$ 259.00
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 33.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

There are 237 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2dmd-colorization-of-baywatch/page/2?hl=littlecammi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.