(Topic ID: 207038)

Pin2DMD colorization of....... Baywatch!

By Rappelbox

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 237 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Stebel
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

caroline.gif
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-20 at 19.35.18 (resized).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-20 at 19.35.16 (resized).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-02-20 at 19.35.17 (resized).jpeg
20201117_093746 (resized).jpg
20201117_092717 (resized).jpg
20201117_093247 (resized).jpg
20201116_190432 (resized).jpg
20201116_190516 (resized).jpg
20201116_190557 (resized).jpg
20201116_190559 (resized).jpg
9BD1BA12-6805-469C-B82C-EF1AA3BF5814 (resized).jpeg
superjp (resized).png
Bonus (resized).png
541c11bdcc89e788361bec06dec54c9555612dec.png (resized).jpg
9324d0592cd8d9f350f57b3faa4d02e1becabff2.png (resized).jpg

There are 237 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 6 years ago

Hello Pinsiders!

Complete credits for this work go to Malenko lucky1 and steve45 for their work on pin2dmd, editor and the colorization!!!

Please support them by donating to www.pin2dmd.com ,

respectively to

http://www.paypal.me/Malenk0

Usage:
Owners of a PIN2DMD-XL can simply copy the provided pin2dmd.pal and pin2dmd.fsq over to their SD-Cards, reboot the dmd by pressing both the user and menu button and enjoy their new colorful Baywatch...
Simple as that!!!
This Colorization only works with PIN2DMD-XL!!!

The files are here:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1xZocmA6MZud1ZMt-mUAkabTApzPe8HmU?usp=sharing

PIN2DMD-XL can be bought at my pinside shop:
https://pinside.com/pinball/biz/directory/1175-ggs

or on my own shop:
https://germangamingsupplies.com/RGBPINDMD-XL-192x64-DMD-for-Sega

Video preview at early stage beta:

credits (resized).pngcredits (resized).png

bikini (resized).pngbikini (resized).png

highscore (resized).pnghighscore (resized).png

score (resized).pngscore (resized).png

sharkbite (resized).pngsharkbite (resized).png

surfingsonic (resized).pngsurfingsonic (resized).png

tidalwave (resized).pngtidalwave (resized).png

truck (resized).pngtruck (resized).png

Screenshot (71) (resized).pngScreenshot (71) (resized).png

Screenshot (72) (resized).pngScreenshot (72) (resized).png

Screenshot (74) (resized).pngScreenshot (74) (resized).png

Screenshot (77) (resized).pngScreenshot (77) (resized).png

Screenshot (81) (resized).pngScreenshot (81) (resized).png

Screenshot (83) (resized).pngScreenshot (83) (resized).png

Screenshot (84) (resized).pngScreenshot (84) (resized).png

#2 6 years ago

Looks great in color. About time it got some love.

#3 6 years ago

That looks bad-ass!

#4 6 years ago

Looks great! Is this compatible with Chad's 4.01 code?

#5 6 years ago

Woo-hoo, and happy belated birthday

#6 6 years ago

Very nice! Can someone post a video of the final product?

#7 6 years ago

waiting for the beta testers to send me new videos.

Pictures of product itself below

PIN2DMD-XL_1 (resized).jpgPIN2DMD-XL_1 (resized).jpg

PIN2DMD-XL_5 (resized).jpgPIN2DMD-XL_5 (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Looks great! Is this compatible with Chad's 4.01 code?

He only changed the CPU ROM, so everything should be good to go. There is a pic in the baywatch thread of it working:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/baywatch-clubmembers-only/page/31#post-4123793

I'm super psyched to see this released finally; I only wish I could afford a Baywatch to enjoy it.

#9 6 years ago

Looks fantastic

#10 6 years ago

is this a plug and play solution?

I never could get the previous "build your own" DMD replacement product to work and finally gave up after countless hours of time trying to make it all work/cobbled together.

#11 6 years ago

Mostly,

I still believe the external power source is more reliable and therefore i still go with it.
We stopped the time to install everything and the difference to an original DMD was approximately 2 minutes.
All done by 1st time buyer with close to no experience in mounting and unmounting DMDs before.

Instruction manual is included in my sets.

Apart from the additional power wiring everything else is stock, original mounting points, same spacers and distance points, no custom cables whatsoever!!!

#12 6 years ago

any trade in on the old stuff?

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

any trade in on the old stuff?

It's basically the same hardware but with improved details... PM me

#14 6 years ago

I suggest you guys insist on having the colorization files installed prior to shipment.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

I suggest you guys insist on having the colorization files installed

Understatement of the year...

#16 6 years ago

The provided files above are for the users that already own a PIN2DMD-XL!

new DMDs will be delivered with files if i'm asked to do so. (hope this is the right way to say it and the meaning didn't get lost in translation)

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

new DMDs will be delivered with files if i'm asked to do so.

Take him up on this. It'll save you some work and time when you get it for installation.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Take him up on this. It'll save you some work and time when you get it for installation.

let me quote myself...

Quoted from Rappelbox:

Usage:
Owners of a PIN2DMD-XL can simply copy the provided pin2dmd.pal and pin2dmd.fsq over to their SD-Cards, reboot the dmd by pressing both the user and menu button and enjoy their new colorful Baywatch...
Simple as that!!!

#19 6 years ago

Can we get some more details about the external power source?

#20 6 years ago

It is a 5V Power supply with precrimped wires, already connected to the DMD and professional grade connectors.
It taps into the power cord of the machine and comes with detailed instructions.

Basically it only serves as a backup to avoid rebooting of the DMD controller board which is a common issue on these Sega DMDs.

My DMD is capable of working with the provided 5V from the game but i prefer it this way.

#21 6 years ago

So the DMD comes WITH the external 5v power supply?

#22 6 years ago

Yes!!!

The set contains:
DMD, Cables, Power supply, Instruction manual, installation manual, MicroSD-Card, Usb to MicroSD card adaptor

#23 6 years ago

Wow, looks great!

#24 6 years ago

I installed the 2 files on mine, and so far, am not getting very good results. I hope it is just a setting in the options or something simple like that. The colors are not matching Rappelbox post and the colors seem to lag the frames on some screens. For instance, on the intro scene when the BATWATCH title scrolls across the screen, the outline of the letters lag behind the coloring. The only files on the SD card (4GB card that came with the unit) are the .key, .pal, and .fsq files. I should have the latest and greatest hardware/firmware since I just received it about a week ago. Any suggestions?

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

I installed the 2 files on mine, and so far, am not getting very good results. I hope it is just a setting in the options or something simple like that. The colors are not matching Rappelbox post and the colors seem to lag the frames on some screens. For instance, on the intro scene when the BATWATCH title scrolls across the screen, the outline of the letters lag behind the coloring. The only files on the SD card (4GB card that came with the unit) are the .key, .pal, and .fsq files. I should have the latest and greatest hardware/firmware since I just received it about a week ago. Any suggestions?

I‘m looking for it now

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Malenko:

He only changed the CPU ROM, so everything should be good to go.

D'oh! Of course you're right. I got confused because I just burned a set of Tommy ROMs for someone last night, and in that case there is a patch for the display ROM as well.

#27 6 years ago

FYI Chad added some display changes to the CAPTAIN WALKER mode and uncovered a hidden animation sequence before the multiball. That's why you needed the updated display rom. Tommy 5.0 is really nice work. I assume the Baywatch changes are also great.

Quoted from gweempose:

D'oh! Of course you're right. I got confused because I just burned a set of Tommy ROMs for someone last night, and in that case there is a patch for the display ROM as well.

#28 6 years ago

Updated with some bug fixes...
The link in the opening Post remains the same.

#29 6 years ago

I like the colored butts.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I like the colored butts.

Me too
BE182B96-1503-4401-A5A8-1E74D85B217C (resized).pngBE182B96-1503-4401-A5A8-1E74D85B217C (resized).png

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

Updated with some bug fixes...

No change - still messed up.

#32 6 years ago

Could you post a short clip if possible?

#33 6 years ago

sudsy7, what version of the game code are you running? Is it possible you don't have the most up to date code?

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

sudsy7, what version of the game code are you running? Is it possible you don't have the most up to date code?

I have the latest code - Chad's release 4.01. Also, I know of another person that is experiencing the exact same problem that I am. Does anyone have this working with satisfactory results?

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

I have the latest code - Chad's release 4.01. Also, I know of another person that is experiencing the exact same problem that I am. Does anyone have this working with satisfactory results?

This is why I am weary of getting a pin2dmd...seems like a lot of work and a lot of bugs. I liked that I could just plop the color dmd in and load the rom and I was done.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from sudsy7:

Please provide more details. Which scene is not working ? Did you check your RGB sequence in the onscreen menu like I told you ?
Which firmware version are you running ?

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

This is why I am weary of getting a pin2dmd...seems like a lot of work and a lot of bugs. I liked that I could just plop the color dmd in and load the rom and I was done.

The problem is that neither Malenko,nor Rappelbox and I have a Baywatch. So we can only test it with virtual pinmame and the help of the community to fix colorization bugs. (Remember pin2dmd originally is a non commercial DIY community project) If you don´t have the time to help to fix the colorization work of Malenko and Rappelbox you can still run in 4 color mode and wait until all bugs in the colorization are fixed. PIN2DMD firmware is stable in that mode for more than a year now and running without a problem in more than 100 pin2dmd XL installations.

#38 6 years ago

with the files provided above you should AT LEAST see this attract mode, if NOT then we'll need to investigate more in detail.

#39 6 years ago

Mine isn't working properly with the files I downloaded, looks like some of the colours are set to black when the screen boots because the squares are blank if you know what I mean.

I'm running 4.0

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from iEatHands:

Mine isn't working properly with the files I downloaded, looks like some of the colours are set to black when the screen boots because the squares are blank if you know what I mean.
» YouTube video

Thank you for feedback!!! This is FAR away from how it should look like!
Did you check the video above and if you have similarities?

...files updated

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

Thank you for feedback!!! This is FAR away from how it should look like!
Did you check the video above and if you have similarities?
...files updated

no similarities to the video above, sonic was nothing like in your video.

Is there anything special i need to do? I put the new files on the SD card and boot the game with it inserted and press both buttons to reboot?

Should I try the new files?

#42 6 years ago

please try the new files!

Could you please tell me about your pin2dmd?
White or black pcb?
Which firmware version (Pin2dmd) is displayed when the DMD boots?
Which Display ROM and CPU ROM is installed?

#43 6 years ago

Black (mine was your first batch) I think it is 1.01 Pin2DMD

All ROMs are 4.0, display says 4.0 USA on boot.

New files looked the same.

#44 6 years ago

OK,

You need to update the firmware to an actual state since the very first batch had not implemented full colorizations.
I'll send you all needed files and steps.

Firmwares after 2.05 can be updated via simple SD card operation, previous firmwares need to do it an other aproach.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Please provide more details. Which scene is not working ? Did you check your RGB sequence in the onscreen menu like I told you ?
Which firmware version are you running ?

I did check my RGB sequence and there is nothing wrong with it. That would only change the colors anyway - not the manner in which the color is being applied to the scenes, correct? Like I said in my first post, the color is out of sync with the frames in the scene where BAYWATCH scrolls across the screen. Also, the match sequence at the end of the game where the girls scroll across the screen has "splotches" of color here and there, but nothing is colored properly. The scene when you acquire a GUARD letter with the girl in the red swimsuit - the color suddenly disappears near the end of the scene. There are a multitude of scenes that are just monochromatic blue (not colored at all). Generally, there are glitches too numerous to describe, but that should give you a start.

I just got this 9 days ago, so I should be running your latest firmware.

EDIT: Firmware Rev 2.08

#46 6 years ago

thanks for the comment

Firmware is ok

could you please check the alternative release i added to the google drive?
it is a different tree but should have fixed issues with the baywatch scrolling text and the attract mode should be without any issues.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

I'll check it first thing tomorrow morning (no access to machine tonight).

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from Rappelbox:

it is a different tree but should have fixed issues with the baywatch scrolling text and the attract mode should be without any issues.

No, still have all the same issues. All I noticed were some color changes here and there -the other release was probably better with respect to colors truthfully. I'm not sure if it would help you, but I could make a youtube video of the output I am seeing if you think it would be useful.

#49 6 years ago

TY, would help on some small flaws

We found a way to resync the frames, which was implemented in PIN2DMD a while back but i didn't notice so far...
I'll update over the weekend and hope to get the missallignemt at least sorted out.

#50 6 years ago

Here are some game play videos (using your primary release). Let me know if I can help in any other way.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
There are 237 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin2dmd-colorization-of-baywatch/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.