6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 74 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by sven
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

TRON. Played it @ a Little Shop of Games rollout event in 2011 and my first impressions were awful. Toy's looked really cheap (especially the TRON arcade), software was incomplete, and it seemed to ripoff the Funhouse layout. It was also very unforgiving/difficult. Lastly, the license didn't do anything for me…not a TRON groupie. Never thought I'd own one.

After playing the finished software @ a FLiPs tournament last year, decided to pickup a nicely modded Pro model with all 3 translites. Now it's one of my favorite machines…still kicking my butt, but has a unique shot selection, cool ramps and rule set. First impressions aren't always spot on...

#2 6 years ago

WH2O... hated it at first and then fell in love. One of my top three favorites.

#3 6 years ago

I'm starting to grow a soft spot for AF. Never played a nice one in the wild before till recently.

#4 6 years ago

A toss up between Fish Tales and Jack Bot. The more I play them, the more I like them. I had an unfavorable impression of both of them at first. Someday I'd like to add them both to the collection.

#5 6 years ago

Twilight Zone. Thought it would be the greatest game ever and it left my house within 6 months.

WOF - Spit beer out my nose when I heard it was announced as a theme. Owned one for two years and regret selling it.

#6 6 years ago

SWEP1. I thought I knew better than every review I had read about it and that my love of the theme and new tech could overcome it's shallow software and minimal shots.

If I collected pins I would own it again just for the music, theme, nostalgia.

#7 6 years ago

TSPP. I never cared for the show so I had no attraction to the theme, but I acquired a super mint HUO machine in a trade deal and love the shit out of this game. I don't see it leaving anytime soon.

#8 6 years ago

Monopoly. I thought it would be fun and the kids would like to too. Instead, they complained about the sounds being repetitive and irritating. They only played it a few times. After a couple months, I traded it towards an Avatar. Avatar was a much better fit for our family.

#9 6 years ago

Many Pat Lawlor games....TAF, FH, WW....once I understood the rules (Thanks Bowen tutorials)...they have all become a lot of fun. Hope to have a WW or FH at some point.

#10 6 years ago

MM: never understood why it was #1. Having only played routed not so good games, I didn't see what was so special. Then, I played a really nice one at a Pinsiders house in which I always skipped playing it whenever I was at his house til one day he said PLAY IT! Lol. Had a blast

#11 6 years ago

Terminator 2 - Played a bunch times in the mid 90's and thought it was awesome. Played again recently and realized it was crap.

Jurassic Park - I read reviews here before playing and then owning. DE games were supposed to be terrible. I thought it was great.

#12 6 years ago

RBION, much better than I thought. Very fun and deep

#13 6 years ago

W?d. Looked lame but took a chance and love it. Low production keeps it from getting love.

#14 6 years ago

I'm with the op on Tron. Never liked it until I got the chance to play it at The Banker's house recently. I probably won't ever own it, space being so limited, but I do now understand why it has so many fans.

It has been my experience that the circumstances under which I play a pin for the first time (including my own state of mind, how tired or rushed I am, etc.) have an awful lot to do with my impressions of that table. I can come back to it later, perhaps rested and playing in a quieter environment, and come to a much more favorable conclusion.

#15 6 years ago

Baywatch.

Totally turned off by the theme (hated the show), and couldn't believe the ugly Hoff head staring at you.

Played it a bunch at a few Expos and now it's #1 on my hit list...

Later,
EV

#16 6 years ago

Flinstones for me. The movie version of the license is disappointing, and just looking at it it didn't seem like a pin I'd enjoy - but I've got one on loan from BangerJay currently so I've had a decent amount of time to play it and I really enjoy it.

#17 6 years ago

Bride of Pinbot. Never liked it when I was younger, now I'd love to own one

#18 6 years ago

Black Pyramid. I dismissed it for being simple and one dimensional. Playing in a few tournaments with it made me appreciate it as a fun shooter with some great feeling shots.

#19 6 years ago

Good
Fish Tales thought it was repetive and didnt like the tunes at first, but def like it now especially yours

Monopoly
Sold my NGG to get this, just didnt do it for me. Did have a lot of shots but the sound was terrible and the game felt cheap. I miss my NGG..thats one I was wrong for selling

#20 6 years ago

TRON & The Shadow.

I didn't have any appreciation for either despite having played them quite a few times. Finally a HUO LE fell into my lap (a few months after release & before prices went crazy) so I said "whatever" and picked it up figuring I could always sell it for around what I paid. Lets just say that turned out to be a very fortunate event! TRON is an amazing game with great modes, decent rules and extreme speed, not too mention the light show!) I would never sell it now but it took me a few weeks of ownership to really appreciate it.

The Shadow. I spent years playing this off and on and never enjoyed it. I had never really seen the movie either so after finally seeing the movie it made more sense so I decided to buy one. After shopping and tweaking it - it became one of my favourites. Fast, good simple & fun rules with some nice flow. Again, I can't see this one leaving my collection anytime soon.

#21 6 years ago

I want to love T2 and AFM but no matter how many times I play them I just cant enjoy them. I want to enjoy them just like everyone else. lol Also, been trying to enjoy BSD but that's hasn't happened either.

Fish Tales is the game I didn't enjoy at first but now find myself playing over and over again whenever I get a chance.

#22 6 years ago

Transformers LE- I discounted the title because of theme and price dropping. I could not have been more wrong. It kicks ass and is a really fast exciting game. It has climbed to be one of my favorites. Multi-Ball and the cannon blasting balls has to be one of the best multi-balls next to Avengers 6 ball madness.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

Flinstones for me. The movie version of the license is disappointing

I felt the same way. If I ever got one, I'd have to do the cartoon overlay.

#24 6 years ago

Rollercoaster Tycoon....hated it when I first started playing it. Kept on playing it over the years either on locations (usually Disneyworld hotels had them) or at a friends house. Now I am picking one up tonight

#25 6 years ago

Tron LE- didn't like the movie, thought the game looked sparse. I actually had one pre-ordered and paid for - and got a refund lol ... then I couldn't stop playing it and had to pony up the dough to get one.

AC/DC Prem- At first I didn't like the art or the jukebox rules...but in person with the multi-color action and light shows, it looks awesome....and after that big update it all clicked for me and I had to have it.

Avengers LE - At first I hated the art, the fake voices, and all the problems sounded like a pain in the ass. However after playing it, I loved how the shots felt and the music/soundFX are compelling. I took a gamble on buying one, and after getting it totally dialed in - it's just a really fun game.

Fish Tales - I was turned off by the extreme redneckyness of it, especially the music....but eventually the gameplay won me over.

Sega games in general - You really have to have them cleaned & rebuilt well...there's really no middle ground. If just a few things are off, they feel like crap. However once dialed in, games like Goldeneye, Apollo 13, and Baywatch are really fun.

Congo - Who the F would have ever thought anyone would like Congo!? Purely a bad movie bias kept me away from that one...it's great, though!

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Who the F would have ever thought anyone would like Congo!? Purely a bad movie bias kept me away from that one

I liked that movie....I also liked the Super Mario Bros. movie

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

Dude even the people IN the Super Mario Bros movie didn't like the Super Mario Bros movie!!!!

http://kotaku.com/5813330/bob-hoskins-has-one-regret-guess-what-it-is

#28 6 years ago

Jack Bot has really grown on me. So much so that I'll be in the market for one late summer after the game room expansion is done! It'll go right next to the wife's BoP.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

TRON. Played it @ a Little Shop of Games rollout event in 2011 and my first impressions were awful. Toy's looked really cheap (especially the TRON arcade), software was incomplete, and it seemed to ripoff the Funhouse layout. It was also very unforgiving/difficult. Lastly, the license didn't do anything for me…not a TRON groupie. Never thought I'd own one.
After playing the finished software @ a FLiPs tournament last year, decided to pickup a nicely modded Pro model with all 3 translites. Now it's one of my favorite machines…still kicking my butt, but has a unique shot selection, cool ramps and rule set. First impressions aren't always spot on...

BBH. At first I kind of liked it but the more I played it, the worse it got. Pretty unique situation as normally it is the other way around.

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from Max_Badazz:

I concur, I was a kid and assumed in later years it was just nostalgia, but watched it recently and enjoyed it. Heck I like all the pin movies that people dump on. Stargate, waterworld, congo, shadow, demolition man etc....

#31 6 years ago

Black Hole, was a game i just thought sucked, play wise...

Boring slow and just a let down...

I had played a few at shows, and thought OK, i'm good...

The first 2 i played were weak, and i guess you could say tired.

Then i got to play one at a show that was in pretty good working order and i though well this is a hole pile better than i remember.... Hmmmm ?

Me being a Gottlieb guy through and through it was tough for me not to like it before, i am glad i got a chance to play one that had some actual substance to it...

Fast forward to about a month ago, i went to pick up a Star Race for a guy in a trade deal, Laser Ball for star Race, and there sat a Force II, and a BH...

I loaded up the SR, and bought the Force II also, as that game NEVER comes up for sale EVER !

after all of that back breaking work, i gave this guys BH a shot, the game played pretty snappy, and i would say for the most part it was 100% working except for a sound issue...

So here i am, a full truck, not enough cash on hand in my pocket anyway, and a BH that the guy said he would sell me even though he really didn't want to.. had to leave without it, but told him in 2 weeks i would be back for it...

FF again..2 weeks later its in the back of the truck heading home..

spent a ton of time de-cobbling things, and dialing it in, full major shopping..

What a fun and punishing game if set up right...

I thumbed my nose at it for 4 yrs, ....4yrs without a BH i can never get back LOL

Great game, and glad i gave it the chance every game should really deserve...

lesson learned !

#32 6 years ago

Oh, and EM games in general....

I think i have been bitten by that freakin bug now too...

#33 6 years ago

was so excited to get a taxi, bought it set it up, and sold with a couple weeks. just wasn't feeling it.

an okay game for sure but thought it was a keeper.

#34 6 years ago

Viper Night Drivin'. My original impression of it was so poor that I would rather drive to another place to play pinball then play the VND at the arcade that I managed. I couldn't believe how horrible it was. Then, about 5 years later, someone told me I had just never played one that was properly set up, and that it was absolutely fantastic. I didn't believe it, but figured I'd give the game another chance if I had the opportunity.

I had the opportunity, and I was instantly floored by just how great the game set up properly was. It's been a favorite ever since, and I have owned and played my VND now for about 7 years.

#35 6 years ago

Recently? ST. Thought it was going to be junk...played it roughly 20 times on location and loved it.

#36 6 years ago

CFTBL and Shadow were 2 games that I had no use for when they first came out, but I've had a complete change of heart on both of them.

On the flip side, game that originally made a very good impression on me that I don't care for now is Guns N Roses

#37 6 years ago

Sega games in general get a really bad rap but so far I find them very enjoyable.....SST, Baywatch, Apollo 13, Godzilla, Batman Forever....I think all of those are fun. Have not had a chance to play Goldeneye which I hear might be the best of the bunch.

On the other end I don't care for TZ. Too clunky of a game for my taste, regardless of the good rules or theme.

#38 6 years ago

TSPP -- played it on location after hearing how great it was. Did not see the appeal. Then when I read up on the rule sheet and learned about how the clock/modes works, the five different wizard modes/objectives, and other aspects of the game, I finally understood. Clearly a game where you need to understand the rules and the strategy around that, to really enjoy playing it. Not a game you can just step up, play and figure it out as you go.

#39 6 years ago

AC/DC I had the Mustang point of view most basic POS ever - thought the premium was a waste - played it with updated code and said yup wrong on that one. Ordered it the next day.

#40 6 years ago

transformers

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

It warms my heart to hear you love the pin and that I could be the one to make it happen for you I doubt there are too many out there with all 3 translites...

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from Gerry:

Oh, and EM games in general....
I think i have been bitten by that freakin bug now too...

Definitely EMs for me. I had brushed off nearly 30 years of pinball machines because they looked slow and boring. Then I played a well tuned Flip A Card and it completely changed my perspective in about 5 min. I have very limited space, but an EM will always be in the lineup now.

#44 6 years ago

Unfortunitely it was FH.

I just couldn't get into the flow of the game. It wasn't too fun. Rudy was interesting, but old hat after awhile.

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Unfortunitely it was FH.
I just couldn't get into the flow of the game. It wasn't too fun. Rudy was interesting, but old hat after awhile.

I'm with you on FH. Just can't get into it.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from TheShameGovernor:

Definitely EMs for me. I had brushed off nearly 30 years of pinball machines because they looked slow and boring. Then I played a well tuned Flip A Card and it completely changed my perspective in about 5 min. I have very limited space, but an EM will always be in the lineup now.

kinda of wish you would not let that cat out of the bag- its so funny when people complain about the speed and have no idea how to tune a game.

#47 6 years ago

ACDC Prem by far, I think that games is just awesome....Should have a Bally badge on it

#48 6 years ago

I can't tell you how many times I've played a pin and came away with a not so great impression, then find one that is dialed in and been blown away. WH20 is a great example. Never understood the popularity of it based on my playing experience. I finally played a nice one and now totally get it. Great pin.

Chris

#49 6 years ago

World Cup Soccer. Avoided it like the plague. Why? I hate soccer so, thus, I did not want to have anything to do with playing a soccer-themed game. Having had to play it in a tournament now puts it on my "Wish List"! NICE game!

#50 6 years ago

Definitely Shadow for me.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 239.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 36.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside