(Topic ID: 67043)

Pin with ramp loop shot AND upper lanes leading to pop bumpers?

By Jags

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Jags
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2060.jpg
IMG_2061.jpg
416f2.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheShameGovernor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 10 years ago

Cyclone.

Hard plunge or soft skill shot plunge feed into rollover lanes that feeds directly into three pops.
Easy shot back up into rollover lanes (with lane change)
Two ramps that feed into right flipper.
No multiball.
End of ball bonus, and on-playfield build/collect bonus (Ferris wheel)
No spinner.
It's a great old school/new school hybrid

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from Jags:

Here is what I have noticed about some of these newer pins that have been mentioned here. It seems that the importance of the pop bumpers and how they can score on other targets doesn't happen any more like it used to in the older games. It seems like the pop bumpers are always just a section of their own. They don't really interact with any of the other scoring features of the game. If you get the ball up into the pop bumper section all it will do is score pop points until it exits that section.

You are absolutely right about this, and it's something I've noticed myself. I'm not sure why some current games even include them other than kitsch value. Pop bumpers provide 2 main services: to generate randomness and speed. Newer machines corral them so much you lose both- almost to the point of worthlessness. I don't think this is the fault of the designers, quite the opposite in fact. I think the core purpose of the pop bumper is completely contrary to modern pinball design philosophy (and by modern I mean the last 20-25 years), and also (to tie it back to your thread) is why you seem to have such a hard time finding that one machine that meets all your new-school /old-school criteria.

The shift is this: New school design focuses on the player *maintaining* control, whereas old school design focuses on the player *regaining* control. Nothing wrong with either philosophy; I enjoy both immensely. Pop bumpers, however, are the very antithesis of maintaining control (unless you cage them), so you will likely not see very many new school pins with pops "let loose in the wild" so to speak. They are out there though. Look at the System 11 games; Cyclone and Black Knight 2k being just two examples already mentioned in this thread. I think Sys 11 provided a great mix of new/old design philosophies. Let's take a detailed look at (ahem) my previous example, Cyclone.

-Ball is launched into rollover lanes (with flipper lane change ability), and feeds into bumper nest.
-The pop bumpers build the ferris wheel bonus, and often launch the ball back into the roll over lanes.
-Completing the roll over lanes starts timed 2x playfield scoring.

So the strategy becomes this: keep feeding your ball into the pop bumpers to build your ferris wheel bonus *without* accidentally activating 2x playfield scoring (using your lane change uber-skillz) until you've maximized the bonus. Then start the 2x, light the ferris wheel by feeding the right inlane from a ramp, and hit the collect for all she's worth. Now, while the ball is enjoying the ride and winding it's way back to you, have a nice swig off your favorite refreshment and know that you've earned every drop

It's a nice design that keeps the pops kind-of-not-really tucked away (new-school), while still maintaining their randomness and importance in the overall scoring of the game (old school). There are other examples, but I own Cyclone so I can speak to it best. I think this type of compromise is what you should be looking for rather than rigid playfield layouts. Besides, if all your pins have essentially the same layout with one or two variations, don't you worry you would become bored with them? I would think with limited access to machines, I would want as much variety as possible while sticking to the design philosophies I like best, not specific designs. Not a critique, just an observation. Who knows, I could be full of shit. Just play what you like.

Now me? I'm a masochist. I like dangerous pops. Up front and no safety gate like Twilight Zone or Abra Ca Dabra, or (my fav) Flash Gordon. Gimmie one right next to an inlane /outlane ala Paragon, Genie, (cough, cough, Deadly Weapon) and I'm a happy/anxious man.

#23 10 years ago

Never played Cactus Jacks but it looks fun. Definitely looks like one my family would like, and System 3s are just rock-solid normally.

I can't say enough good things about BK2K (it's on my wishlist for sure) but I'm not sure it's quite the style you're looking for.

Quoted from Jags:

It also seems to have a LOT of balls in multiball. Multiball is OK as long as you can manage some control. For me 2-ball is perfect. Even 3-ball I think becomes more of a punishment rather than a challenging award. I will look into it some more.
Thanks!

Remember, ALL multiballs can be 2-ball multiball if you're bad enough.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Peekskill, NY
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 39.99
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider TheShameGovernor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin-with-ramp-loop-shot-and-upper-lanes-leading-to-pop-bumpers?tu=TheShameGovernor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.