• 47 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Pinfidel
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Pretty disappointed.
Saw a local STTNG, great price. Called buyer, arranged to come see machine this evening. Called back to say I could meet sooner, and the machine is gone. terrible....

#2 9 years ago

Nope. First come..first served....if you would have been smart you would have dropped what you are doing and you would have headed on over...

#3 9 years ago

Lesson learned. Finally had the wife on board, cash in hand, my first pin was coming home. Better luck next time. I can't wait to see it on kijiji tomorrow for 4k.

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from flashinstinct:

Nope. First come..first served....if you would have been smart you would have dropped what you are doing and you would have headed on over...

You're probably right. How dare he probably put his job before his hobby. What an idiot!

#5 9 years ago

No, the above is nonsense IMO. There should be integrity in pin sales and sometimes there is but unfortunently a lot of times there isn't, so sad. I can understand not waiting a week or a few days but not waiting a few hours, despicable.

#6 9 years ago

Yeah, a call would have been appreciated. I would have skipped dinner lol

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

You're probably right. How dare he probably put his job before his hobby. What an idiot!

It's Sunday!!! I get what people are saying but when a deal like that comes along you don't wait..you drop what you are doing and you drive over.

#8 9 years ago

It's Sunday!!! Learn your days!

Maybe he was in church. This is why I don't go to church.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from jayhawkai:

Maybe he was in church. This is why I don't go to church.

Amen! Now praise the lord for another deal to come by.

#10 9 years ago

Greed is so pathetic. I will never ever understand selling out one's integrity for a handful of dollars. People like that will always find themselves losing at life in the long run.

#11 9 years ago

It's Sunday!!! Learn your days!

People don't work on Sunday's. News to me. All the stores close in Canada on Sunday?

#12 9 years ago

Some people do some people don't. The guy never mentioned he was working....irrelevant!

#13 9 years ago

Alright, fess up who got it?

#14 9 years ago

I wish i did. But I am too far. And yes. If you had an agreement with the guy it sucks but on the other hand the guy doesn;t know you and there are way too many people that say 'yes..i'll buy it" and never show up. You got screwed.... but again...first come first served when it comes to kijiji

#15 9 years ago

Tough break Pinball-Pat, I'm rooting for you.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from shaub:

Tough break Pinball-Pat, I'm rooting for you.

Thanks man, I'll come out on top of one of these damn things sooner or later.
Lol

#17 9 years ago

THIS. Exactly what you have to do if you ever want to get anything reasonable. Have to be ready at the spur of the moment. Throw the kids in the van/truck, grab the dolly, grab your socket with both leg bolt sizes, ratchet strap and DE/Stern wrench (just in case you need it) and go.

#18 9 years ago

Edit.... Didn't realize you didn't make a firm commitment to buy the game. So done else offers to buy it and you are SOL.

#19 9 years ago

I heard it was a $2600 "just came out of the box" looking game. Signed by Patrick Stewart

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I heard it was a $2600 "just came out of the box" looking game. Signed by Patrick Stewart

I can smell the rat droppings from here.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

I can smell the rat droppings from here.

Maybe you should shop out your games once in awhile. It's probably your Shit Tales.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Maybe you should shop out your games once in awhile. It's probably your Shit Tales.

LMAO

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

If you agreed on a time and a firm pickup then the seller is a douchebag.

"...arranged to come see machine this evening" doesn't sound like a firm time or a firm pickup commitment to me. For $2600 the potential buyer should have said I will take it and I will be there at x:xx. Then if it was sold out from under them, they would have something to be upset over.

#24 9 years ago

It's Sunday!!! I get what people are saying but when a deal like that comes along you don't wait..you drop what you are doing and you drive over.

I f---ing worked today, thanks. Always trust a douche to stand on the backs of others and then pretend they do nothing.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

"...arranged to come see machine this evening" doesn't sound like a firm time or a firm pickup commitment to me. For $2600 the potential buyer should have said I will take it and I will be there at x:xx. Then if it was sold out from under them, they would have something to be upset over.

Yep I totally agree with that. I was under the assumption a time and commitment to buy was made.
Then the buyer should have no remorse.

#26 9 years ago

It's not about class or integrity. Do you know how many people have told me that they are coming by to look/buy something just to never show up or even call to let me know. Unless it's someone that I know, I would never expect anyone to hold anything for me without a deposit. Cash is king and a for sure sale is better than some guy who may be coming by later on tonight (and may try to haggle) so I would never fault anyone for that.

Some slip through the hands, life too short to get mad about it. Life goes on.....

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I f---ing worked today, thanks. Always trust a douche to stand on the backs of others and then pretend they do nothing.

Who gives a shit? You could be working, at church, watching football, etc. Doesn't matter to the seller.

If you see a game for well below market price, you need to move quickly. End of story.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

It's not about class or integrity. Do you know how many people have told me that they are coming by to look/buy something just to never show up or even call to let me know. Unless it's someone that I know, I would never expect anyone to hold anything for me without a deposit. Cash is king and a for sure sale is better than some guy who may be coming by later on tonight (and may try to haggle) so I would never fault anyone for that.
Some slip through the hands, life too short to get mad about it. Life goes on.....

+1

#29 9 years ago

I called on this one. A little old lady answered and said it had just been picked up. She had a Bally ST too.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Jarbyjibbo:

Yep, you make a good point.
I have been on both sides (buyer/seller) many times.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Verbal agreements are the same as written ones. Had I said I would "buy it", legally, I am required to do so, even if it were a pile of crap hiding behind nice internet photos. However, we agreed on a set time for me to view the machine. Agreeing to purchase without seeing something this day in age of Photoshop etc. is madness.

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

Verbal agreements are the same as written ones. Had I said I would "buy it", legally, I am required to do so, even if it were a pile of crap hiding behind nice internet photos. However, we agreed on a set time for me to view the machine. Agreeing to purchase without seeing something this day in age of Photoshop etc. is madness.

Madness or not, I guarantee someone else committed to buying it sight unseen for $2600 and that person now has a STTNG. You had a vague appointment to come look at the game at some point during the night. I highly doubt the seller agreed or would have agreed to hold a game for you to look at and potentially not show up or walk away from a sale when they could have had a sale on the table from a person who said "I'll take it". For some prices you have to take a leap of faith. It would have had to have been pretty awful to be a losing proposition at $2600.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

If we're getting into contract validity, then no discussion would be complete without the statute of frauds:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statute_of_frauds

#34 9 years ago

If I'm interested in a game I *always* say I will buy it and I'm free to come now. No hemming or hawwing.

#35 9 years ago

I called on the pin as well, the buyer paid a cash deposit an hour after the ad went up and is picking up the pin tomorrow and paying the balance...

#36 9 years ago

I would only hold a game for someone I know & even then it would only be if they committed to buying it.

Random internet people are just random internet people, Gnomesing?

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

Agreeing to purchase without seeing something this day in age of Photoshop etc. is madness.

Then you surely realize that agreeing to put off the sales for someone random that you hear from from the internet in this day of people not actually showing up is madness.

Seriously, for every time this argument comes up, I'm always amazed because I have NEVER had someone sell a game that I contacted on out from under me. It's because in this age of Photoshop, etc, I am happy to still call people based on a photo and say, "If that's the price, I'll take it. Shall I send you a deposit? I can be by in two days to pick up."

You found a STTNG for $2600. You, a random person online contacted and asked to come look at it tomorrow. Another random internet person called and said that they would pick it up today with cash, and then showed up and bought it. Who would you sell too?

#38 9 years ago

Cash in hand > a tire kicker. Seller is just doing what sellers do. You didn't commit to anything so why should he?

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

Photoshop has been around since before that machine was even made.

You just don't get good deals very often unless you are willing to agree to a sale, and have the availability to go pick it up immediately. If you have to wait until after work, you are going to miss it most of the time. I haven't managed to pick up a game below market value for years. There are at least 3 people in town who can get there before I can.

#40 9 years ago

Thanks for all the input guys. Moral of the story, talk in buying terms. Much appreciated!

#41 9 years ago

If it's a pinball person posting on a pinball forum and another pinball person agrees to come, that's one thing.

If it's a random on CL/Kijiji on either side, anything goes. Someone comes with more money/faster, no way any non-pinhead is not going to take that. We have ALL been victim to the "no show tire kicker" on these sites.

I agree as well, regardless of the situation, the early bird gets the worm. Like you said though, lesson learned. We have all learned a few

#42 9 years ago

Just because you state on the phone, "I will buy it.", doesn't mean you HAVE to buy after you see it.

#43 9 years ago

Actually, the moral of the story should be that it's yours when it's in your truck. Not even a second before that.

Quoted from Pinball-Pat:

Thanks for all the input guys. Moral of the story, talk in buying terms. Much appreciated!

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from PoMC:

Just because you state on the phone, "I will buy it.", doesn't mean you HAVE to buy after you see it.

Yeah, if you want to be known as a buyer that screws people over.

Holy heck have I made myself a great reputation with local sellers by saying, "I will buy it" and then, you know, buying it. Allows me to still get pins at what many people consider great prices. I guess that is because my reputation is that if I say it, I'm going to do it.

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

Yeah, if you want to be known as a buyer that screws people over.
Holy heck have I made myself a great reputation with local sellers by saying, "I will buy it" and then, you know, buying it. Allows me to still get pins at what many people consider great prices. I guess that is because my reputation is that if I say it, I'm going to do it.

No, this covers you in case the seller misrepresents the game or neglects to inform of some details.

I've never had to do this, but trust me I would if I needed to. How does this screw a seller over? Did I steal his game? Lowball him after agreeing to a price? No, he still has the game to sell to the next person.

I'm giving my word I will buy it in the condition as described or shown in the pics. But if that condition is different once I see it in person? Fuck that, I walk away with my cash. The seller wants to call me out on "screwing him over", then I call him out on his shitty, deceptive description and for WASTING MY TIME traveling to see it.

#46 9 years ago

I was selling a car once, and the guy offered me too low of an offer when he came to see it... I told him it wasn't enough and he accused me of 'wasting his time'.

I also had someone tell me "Tell people it's sold, I'm coming this evening", and he never showed up. I had told one person it was sold in the meantime, so it did cost me a potential sale... then he had the nerve to try and barter with the price when I called him the next day asking why he didn't show.

If you say you're coming and will buy it, then you're obligated to buy it (if it is in the condition and state that was expected.) It works both ways - if someone is confirmed and coming to see it at specified time, they should have first swing of the bat. Even if you have to call the person back and tell them someone else wants to come earlier, they should get the opportunity to at least try to make it before that time.

Things like "Oh, I forgot to mention that the backglass is cracked and there is only 1 flipper" cancel all previous agreements.

That's my logic anyway.

#47 9 years ago

Yeah, it's too bad you missed out on such a sweet deal OP. But when you see a deal like that, you gotta POUNCE!

As you said, lesson learned and GL on the next one.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grapevine, TX
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
Decorations
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball
Protection
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 9.95
$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 64.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
Decals
$ 40.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin-tegrity-sttng-for-2600 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.