(Topic ID: 182606)

Pinball Skates broke

By seeburg220

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ginger.jpg
    screen-shot-2011-10-26-at-11-44-03-pm (resized).jpg
    IMG_1116 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1118 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1117 (resized).JPG
    #1 7 years ago

Went out to my garage today and noticed that all four wheels were cracked or disintegrating. I've had a 4 player EM attached to them for a month, while I worked on the pin. Has anyone else seen their wheels do this ? I'm thinking it's the sub-par chinese bullshit materials used, that are the culprit. My skates are about 4 years old and have had little use.

I have seen replacement wheels available for these, which confirms my suspicion about the shoddy rubber.

IMG_1117 (resized).JPGIMG_1117 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1118 (resized).JPGIMG_1118 (resized).JPG
    IMG_1116 (resized).JPGIMG_1116 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

Could be a few things:

1. Garage floor has traces of oil that degraded the vinyl/polyurethane .

2. Bad batch of wheels.

3. Garage floor has heavy pitting or checking.

4. Pinball machine exceeds the weight limit of the wheels.

5. Crappy wheels.

As long as you are not using the skates on light colored carpet, I'd hit HF and get a replacement set with sold black rubber wheels that won't degrade from oil.

#3 7 years ago

Yes, this appears to be a common problem. I have seen this on at least 3 pairs of skates. Home Depot sells caster wheels very close to these with hard rubber which should last a long time. I bought them and put them on my skates and it is like new again. Easy solution, takes about 10 minutes to change out the wheels with the Home Depot ones.

#4 7 years ago

Thanks. I avoid HF because of the smell mostly. Will checkout Home Despot.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from seeburg220:

Thanks. I avoid HF because of the smell mostly. Will checkout Home Despot.

Ahhhh, I love the smell of Chinese rubber in the morning.

I'm sure they have the same caster wheels at HD for 3x the price.

#6 7 years ago

The other day I somehow blew a tire on my handtruck which has handled every single game in my collection for two and a half years over and over (and other things for like 15+ years), another thing you'd think would never happen!

Got a convenient replacement wheel/tire combo from Home Depot and also smells like rubber but I think it's going away reasonably quick. $20 later and I'm good to go!

In your situation, I'm pretty sure one wouldn't smell much less than the other but maybe I am wrong.

#7 7 years ago

I think Seeburg means that the entire HF store smells like Chinese rubber.

The same smell like when you walk into a bike shop.

The casters are all made in the same Chinese factory, no matter where you buy them.

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

My coffin lifter i got at HF came with some rubber mat that stunk up the basement. I think i ended up throwing it out it reeked like petro chemicals so bad.

#9 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

The casters are all made in the same Chinese factory, no matter where you buy them.

Definitely, that was my point as well.

And ahh, okay.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

The other day I somehow blew a tire on my handtruck which has handled every single game in my collection for two and a half years over and over (and other things for like 15+ years), another thing you'd think would never happen!

I know exactly what you mean.

I've had my handtruck tire blow out after holding air for years.

A new innertube is $6.99

A whole new wheel, tire and innertube is $3.99 at HF.

Cheaper than the just the tube!!!

screen-shot-2011-10-26-at-11-44-03-pm (resized).jpgscreen-shot-2011-10-26-at-11-44-03-pm (resized).jpg

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from seeburg220:

Has anyone else seen their wheels do this ? I'm thinking it's the sub-par chinese bullshit materials used,

The wheels on my Snap-On creeper are starting to do that too. But 30 years old and made in America.

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Eh, there's something about the wheels HF uses... I got one of their big black tool carts a couple years ago, and I had to leave the wheels sitting outside for a week before the fumes dissipated enough for me to attach them to the cart in the basement. These were solid rubber casters and boy did they have a chemical/rubber smell about them. FWIW the cart works well for the price, so no complaints, just be prepared to quarantine HF wheels upon purchase.

#13 7 years ago

Two of my wheels have started to have similar problems, but my skates are 13 years old and have been used heavily.

#14 7 years ago

I can barely breathe when I walk into a Harbor Freight store. I bought a hand truck from home depot and the chinese tires on it stunk for months, even after leaving it outside for weeks.

#15 7 years ago

ginger.jpgginger.jpg

#16 7 years ago
    #17 7 years ago

The exact same thing happened to mine as well!! HD had the better ones! Not bad price either!!

9 months later
    #18 6 years ago

One of my wheels has cracked. I've had the pinskates for around 5 years.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin-skates-broke and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.