Pin sittin in a garage (UPDATE!!!)

By dementedwarlok

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Someone down the street from me has a pinball machine in the garage. I am thinking its a EM. I am 31 and when I moved here I was 12. The pin is still there. I want to get it outta there and see what the hell it is. I have put a note on the door saying I have seen the pin since I was a kid and now I am would like to buy it and give it TLC. I know the cab is white and has some decals on it but they are hard to describe. What should I do? I want to buy it but dont want to push it to much. I dont want to buy a machine that cannot be salvaged. Its hard to talk to the people living there as they are never home.

#2 11 years ago

Dress up in all black and wait for them behind the bushes. Jump out and start singing "pinball wizard" while waving a stack of $20'a at them. Gets them all the time.

#3 11 years ago

i was gonna cut a hole in the side of the garage where it sits and slide it out and take it home lol

#4 11 years ago

if you've left a note with you contact details then be patient and see if they call. How long ago did you put a note on their door? Is it possible to look them up in the phone book and give them a call as well?

#5 11 years ago

I am not sure when I put the note in the door. could have blown away. I may just send a letter to them in the mail since it will be seen

#6 11 years ago

Yeah, If you have been near neighbors for that long and don't know them, they may be tough to meet. Leaving a nice friendly note is a good idea. Try talking to anyone else in the area that might know them. Try to casually, accidentally run into them while they are doing yard work or something else outside.

#7 11 years ago

Put a on nice vest and carry a bible and give the door a knock. When they find out you're not a Jehovahs Witness they will be so elated the pin will be yours moments later.

#8 11 years ago

Just go knock on the door and ask if they want to sell the machine. How hard is that??

#9 11 years ago

maybe i can catch them outside and shovel snow and cut their grass for a year for it

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Cobray:

Dress up in all black and wait for them behind the bushes. Jump out and start singing "pinball wizard" while waving a stack of $20'a at them. Gets them all the time.

You mean gets them shot?

#11 11 years ago

It's fun to think of a great garage find, but most likely it has frozen and thawed so many times that you won't be able to restore it.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It's fun to think of a great garage find, but most likely it has frozen and thawed so many times that you won't be able to restore it.

yeah that is my greatest fear maybe i can ask to see what kind it is one day and they can show it to me just to be nice.

#13 11 years ago

Hmmm. If they are never home, then just steal it. If they find out, then hold it for ransom.

#14 11 years ago
Quoted from dementedwarlok:

i was gonna cut a hole in the side of the garage where it sits and slide it out and take it home lol

Shotgun blasts can be very painful. Not to mention the time involved removing the buckshot.

#15 11 years ago

Someone down the street from me has a pinball machine in the garage. I am thinking its a EM. I am 31 and when I moved here I was 12. The pin is still there.

If they've had it for that long, it has sentimental value by now.

Good luck at getting it for a decent price, if not at all.

#16 11 years ago

just gotta stalk them and find them when home and ask nicely and let them know what your price range is..let them know they might have $100 or $1000 sitting in there garage,..then offer them $50 after you see it.

#17 11 years ago

Many of the pins I have purchased are from locations like this. The last one I got had been in the families finished basement for 20+ year (Space Invaders, looks like new). It was not that they wanted to keep it, it was being used as a table to fold laundry on, they just did not know where to sell it, what to charge or how to move it. In their minds it was just about the heaviest, most awkward thing, they could not imagine moving out.

Many sellers I deal with are in this category. The dealer/route owner/repair tech who sold them the pin is long out of business. The game died and they don't know what to do with it, they always figured they would find some else to fix it, someday. But someday never comes and they are happy when someone (like me) offers to come, pay cash and move it out.

For your situation, talk to all of the surrounding neighbors. You have lived in the area for a long time. You are not some weirdo cruising the town. Just tell anyone you talk to that you grew up in the area at (insert your homes address/location/description of house) and you had noticed the game and wanted to talk to them about it.

Best of luck

#18 11 years ago

Tell them the trash collection service will charge them $100 to haul off that piece of junk, then offer to do it for $50

#19 11 years ago

Spring is almost here and maybe I will create a flyer. Spring cleaning help and put a list of things including hauling off old pinball machines. Either way I will keep everyone posted on what happens. Maybe catch them outside and invite them over to see my pins and how I take care of them.

#20 11 years ago

Let me get this straight, you have no idea what this game is right? So you have no idea that it works, or you will like it, or get it running, or what it costs even if they decide to sell. There are plenty of other pins to buy out there rather than stalking someone for like 20 years?
Welcome to pinside!!LOL

#21 11 years ago

11 step program

step 1- get drunk
step 2- take off your shirt you dont need it no more
step 3- wait till about 9 tonight
step 4- grab some quarters
step 5- better grab a 6 pack for the trip over
step 6- park in there yard
step 7- beat on there door
step 8- complment there barking dog, kids, and tell them their wife is hot.
step 9- offer them all a beer, showem the quarters and challenge him to a game- heres where luck comes into play- (hope it at least a 2 player so you dont look stupid)
step 10- win or lose tell him he sucks and offer to buy it for 1oo, but dont try to cash the check till next week
stepp 11- & tell him bring the quarters and the beer and he can come & play it any time,,,
- in a month or so with you full of beer the machine full of quarters the it will be practlly free

#22 11 years ago

Dress up like Frank/Mike from American Pickers and have a friend follow you with a camera. Then spout a lot of nonsense and pick the machine on the cheap!

#23 11 years ago

Most people are home on weekends

Quoted from RCA1:Yeah, If you have been near neighbors for that long and don't know them, they may be tough to meet. Leaving a nice friendly note is a good idea. Try talking to anyone else in the area that might know them. Try to casually, accidentally run into them while they are doing yard work or something else outside.

+1

Casually, accidentally run into them preferably in the daytime like on the weekend. Be honest and upfront. What are you waiting for! It's an em for gosh sakes!

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from hoov:

Most people are home on weekends

+1
Casually, accidentally run into them preferably in the daytime like on the weekend. Be honest and upfront. What are you waiting for! It's an em for gosh sakes!

+2 It's not like it's a MM...go make an offer already!!

#25 11 years ago

OP- You need a undercover Girl Scout.
Put a ad on craigslist stating you want to hire a girl - must be under 12 - for a "secret mission."

#26 11 years ago

just go knock on the door every other day untill you get someone home, let them know you have lived there since you were a kid and seen it every so often, the wost thing that will come of it is they will say no. if you never ask , you will never get opportunities.

#27 11 years ago

Offer to cut their grass in exchange for letting you play their pin!!

#28 11 years ago
Quoted from lladnip:

11 step programstep 1- get drunkstep 2- take off your shirt you dont need it no morestep 3- wait till about 9 tonightstep 4- grab some quartersstep 5- better grab a 6 pack for the trip overstep 6- park in there yardstep 7- beat on there doorstep 8- complment there barking dog, kids, and tell them their wife is hot.step 9- offer them all a beer, showem the quarters and challenge him to a game- heres where luck comes into play- (hope it at least a 2 player so you dont look stupid)step 10- win or lose tell him he sucks and offer to buy it for 1oo, but dont try to cash the check till next weekstepp 11- & tell him bring the quarters and the beer and he can come & play it any time,,,- in a month or so with you full of beer the machine full of quarters the it will be practlly free

Step twelve-
Stand in the front yard, with your pants down, doing the propeller move with your cock

#29 11 years ago

I do have a back up fixer upper that I may grab. Been watching this pin on ebay for awhile. I/O power board fried and no DMD and may or may not be missing the glass. Its dirty but the playfield looks hardly wore. Price is retarted at 775. Gonna have to talk them down..... alot

#30 11 years ago

Finally talked to him. He is wanting to fix it up. The table is called Tropical Island but I just searched for it on here and did not find it maybe the name it off a bit. Its EM Bally or Williams. The guy is very much into pinball. He said he has jukeboxes and slot machines in his basement.

#31 11 years ago

Tropic Isle, Gottleib? http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=2661 Beautiful game.

#32 11 years ago

Are you sure it is not Tropic Isle?

That is a Gottlieb made in '62.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

Put an ad on craigslist stating you want to hire a girl - must be under 12 - for a "secret mission."

If the original poster does that we'll be seeing him on To Catch a Predator on TV.

#34 11 years ago

OMG it is the Gottlieb the side art matches

#35 11 years ago

The owner will be a nice, old Grandma til she says "You want to buy it young man, well I saw that this pin was selling on EBAY for......."!?!?!?!

#36 11 years ago

So do you have a new friend now? Sounds like thats the kind of neighbor you want. Offer to help so you can learn.

#37 11 years ago

If it's been sitting there since you were 12, I'm thinking he's not going to be fixing it up any time soon....

#38 11 years ago

Finally talked to him. He is wanting to fix it up. The table is called Tropical Island but I just searched for it on here and did not find it maybe the name it off a bit. Its EM Bally or Williams. The guy is very much into pinball. He said he has jukeboxes and slot machines in his basement.

When did it stop working? ~20 years is a long time to want to fix something up that's sitting right there.

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

When did it stop working? ~20 years is a long time to want to fix something up that's sitting right there.

not sure didnt ask. did invite him down to check out my pins to get him motivated to fix up. maybe after he gets a quote or 2 he will learn that its not worth the price to fix.

#40 11 years ago

cool story - knowing folks can pay off big down the road

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin-sittin-in-a-garage and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.