• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Should I modify my Williams Big Deal with this switch?”

• Yes 0 votes
  • No 6 votes
    100%
  • For the LOVE OF GOD stop trying to add options to a 42 year old machine! 0 votes

(6 votes)

This poll has been closed.

#1 4 years ago

I was looking at my WMS EM machine and realized the Match Unit coil fires every time the 100 points relay does. In the interest of saving the unit countless spins of the Match Unit, I was thinking of taking the 1,000 or even the 10,000 relay unit's output and sending it to the Match Unit's coil input via a stock selector pin unit like you use for the Free Ball or Match option. It would keep the original setup, but add an option.

Thoughts? Does anyone know what this selector / pin switch is actually called?

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from MD_Pinball_Dude:

I was looking at my WMS EM machine and realized the Match Unit coil fires every time the 100 points relay does. In the interest of saving the unit countless spins of the Match Unit, I was thinking of taking the 1,000 or even the 10,000 relay unit's output and sending it to the Match Unit's coil input via a stock selector pin unit like you use for the Free Ball or Match option. It would keep the original setup, but add an option.
Thoughts? Does anyone know what this selector / pin switch is actually called?

The match unit was engineered to do this. It does not overheat. These old games get a fraction of the usage they once got when they were new. This match unit will likely never wear out.

#3 4 years ago

Not trying to be a dick, but I’ve noticed a general influx of new users in the past month and many keep trying the same things.
Don’t bother reinventing the wheel, or in this case, the ball.
The engineers who designed these games were pretty damn smart and inventive. They are designed with purpose and function in mind. These games typically received half a million plays or more in the short few years they were on route. Your game should have a counter and if it says anything like, [059,784] know that it’s rolled over once or twice! My Drop-A-Card got over 700k plays in its history, and my Mars Trek has seen nearly half a million.
These units were designed to be better to hell and back and keep working. Don’t worry about wearing out units! A few steppers will probably need to be rebuilt but your coil won’t die anytime soon.
Tying it to the 100 coil is essentially their way to ensure a “random” result for the match sequence.

#4 4 years ago

Also, the match unit may operate an alternating relay toggling some playfield feature lights at every operation. If you set it to advance at slower rate, the lights do not work as expected.

#5 4 years ago

OK. Valid points to leave it alone.

#6 4 years ago

It is called a Jones plug

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin-option-selector-wms-em-machine?hl=wolverinetuner and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.