Pin Not Turned on in 20 years!

By Ericpinballfan

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

I am purchasing a 1974 Bally Delta Queen today. It looks great! But, the pin has not been turned on in 20 years, It's a friend of friends and I am a little worried about what to expect. I don't want to start changing out fuses at there place and so forth. 2 points of Advice I'm seeking.
1. What should I look out for?
2. How does one buy a pinball machine and never turn it on first, tough call?
Thank you all in advance.

#2 8 years ago

just turn it on, it will thank you...

#3 8 years ago

Oh just flip the switch already.

#4 8 years ago

Don't turn it on. If it works the price automatically goes up lol

#5 8 years ago

Just be ready to unplug it. Things like shorted wires or switches will be a problem. Metal objects that were loose inside could get into areas that will also cause a short. If you are by yourself use an extension cord for a power source and have it close by when the machine is turned on. Most likely nothing will happen, but it is better to be prepared.

#6 8 years ago

Pull out all fuses ,turn it on if all is good start adding one fuse back at a time .

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Wariodolby:

Pull out all fuses ,turn it on if all is good start adding one fuse back at a time .

Pull all of the fuses before you make an offer

#8 8 years ago

Never mind thought you already bought it .
Just offer them $100 more then what you want to pay.Probaly save you more time and money later.

#9 8 years ago

Take it home FIRST. If it does /anything/ they're going to possibly drive the price up. No doubt it's going to need some adjustment and love, but it's an EM and nothing is truly "gone forever", after all these are the machines that can and will last basically forever. If anything, just ask to take a peek inside the cabinet and backbox, and if everything (or mostly everything) is complete chances are you'll get it running eventually with no real loss if the price is good (or even great) to start with.

#10 8 years ago

sounds like $100 machine...take it home and fire it up

#11 8 years ago

My favorite kind to buy. You'll get it running in no time. Just make sure that most everything is there and you'll be golden.

#12 8 years ago

No, don't just flip it on and pray for the best. You risk causing damage.

This post-purchase checklist is geared toward solid state games, but a lot of it would still apply to EMs.

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Post-Purchase_Checklist

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from Wariodolby:

Just offer them $100 more then what you want to pay.Probaly save you more time and money later.

do you mean less?

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Charliew65:

Wariodolby said:
do you mean less?

Delta Queen is maybe a $500 machine in VGC fully shopped. This has to be $100 or you should pass unless it's a dream pin of yours.

#15 8 years ago

Update!!! This is not a Dream Pin. Went to the Banning show today, and Guess what? They have a Delta Queen. Richard the tech there opened it up for me and we talked about fuse holders and such. Not a bad EM Pin, not the best. There's is a little beat up with poor backglass and a lot of fade and planking on field. It helped me determine what to do if I hear back from flaky pinball sellers, that at first are motivated to sell, then realize how much work it is to unbury it from deep in the garage. They didn't bother to empty garage and get it out. So for now we are on hold, but still am arranging to look at it. The 3 pictures I received makes the machine seem near minty ( I hope) looks very good, flawless backglass. So if it plays well, i was never going above $300. If the owner doesn't have it working when I get there or on, no more than 200, mostly for condition. I was always planning to park this next to my Riverboat Gambler for awhile, till I need space. They will look good together. Don't pinball machines need pin friends?
HUMM, Banning show... Was thinking of starting new thread called. "Banning Show, the good' the bad' and the ugly"

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

No, don't just flip it on and pray for the best. You risk causing damage.
This post-purchase checklist is geared toward solid state games, but a lot of it would still apply to EMs.

Forceflow, Thank you, You always have great tips and instant tech data.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin-not-turned-on-in-20-years and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.