(Topic ID: 279387)

Pin-Hylites - Customizable Pinball Lighting!

By nodyeliab

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by CashMoney
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20200719-155338_NewPipe (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200719-151306_NewPipe (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20200719-155452_NewPipe (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider btrip.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#16 3 years ago

I consider myself extremely fortunate to be a tester for these. I knew from first hint about them that they would be amazing and they exceeded all of my expectations.

I agree with Curbfeeler that pictures and videos don't really do these justice, but I created some before and after videos to give a sense of what is possible.

I installed them on my AFMRSE. Installing is an absolute cinch and took all of 20-30 minutes. Absolutely NO permanent modifications to your machine are required, completely reversible, and NO STICKY STRIP!

Once installed, I simply connected to the PinHylite's built in WiFi, navigated to the webapp, and what then proceeded was absolutely awesome. Tweaking the various colors and seeing how the playfield responded was stunning.

For the basic GI, I was able to dial in this almost ultra violet color that really makes the UV reactive parts of the playfield pop. Immediately the game looked more amazing than it already did (thanks CGC!). I was then able to fine tune in some green highlights on the saucers which look fantastic.

But that was just the beginning of this adventure. I hadn't even scratched the surface of what these things could do.

I always loved strobe multiball on AFM, but it always felt kind of weak. These provided the solution. I placed one of the light sensors in the strobe light "chamber", and was able to run the sensor wire through to the back practically undetected. I set up a trigger in the app for when the strobe goes off, the PinHylites will strobe as well! Not even a ziptie was needed, although some were supplied.

Next, curbfeeler noticed that the saucer above the SOL hole does some interesting things throughout the game, so he suggested that a light sensor go there as well. We set this trigger up to have the PinHylites do a green colored effect where the LEDs chase up the field whenever that saucer lights. This led to some interesting lightning effects during the start of Martian Multiball, SOL kickout, and when a saucer is destroyed.

Still not enough though. There's also a sensor that can hook to switches, so of course we had to add a green sparkle effect whenever a ball is waiting to be launched.

That same sensor can be used, believe it or not, on motors. So I hooked one up to the shield up/down motor and set the effect to alternate green left and right. This combined with the saucer sensor causes quite an amazing light show when a saucer is destroyed.

Here is what everything looks like all together during Total Annihilation.

And this is all just one machine. Imagine what these can do to other machines. The possibilities are truly endless.

Thank you so much to nodyeliab and Curbfeeler for everything. You guys are the best.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider btrip.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin-hylites-customizable-pinball-lighting?tu=btrip and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.