(Topic ID: 233356)

Pin-Hauler Trailer Discussion

By desertT1

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

C3846806-D050-4CC7-8D60-C06C3B58FC74 (resized).jpeg
    60DF7A9F-415B-4874-AF60-44C8F97A1AF7 (resized).jpeg
    15DCDE0E-7E77-4300-8439-AA0384822FA7 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_4551 (resized).jpg
    3C14C8DA-D248-413C-B45C-A6A02E07B0BC (resized).jpeg
    20161119_151929 (resized).jpg
    20161119_151914 (resized).jpg
    20161119_144808 (resized).jpg
    20161119_134328 (resized).jpg
    20161119_134317 (resized).jpg
    8E2FC16A-6FC7-4C91-9B62-C3E152576686 (resized).jpeg
    A8C33547-7BB2-4C63-9609-17DFCFD62501 (resized).jpeg
    300DB330-DC99-477E-9B44-3DDDC52812E1 (resized).jpeg
    FC3EA4DD-69C2-4B18-9FB6-5D3A6AABDA8C (resized).jpeg
    B48FC9CB-CB89-4FD2-8B77-FD27BB2E9016 (resized).jpeg
    EFA5F5EB-8E02-47F4-9113-62AF452B9BE4 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider desertt1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

My regular pin moving vehicle is on its way out. As the wife got a new vehicle, I got her 2013 Dodge Journey, which I have actually always liked. The major downside is that it can't fit a modern pin conveniently. The agreement is that I get a trailer when she gets a new vehicle. Well, that time is now. I hadn't thought too much about it, but as I started doing research it seems there is more out there then I was expecting. So here is where I'm at:

I want as small of a trailer as I can get away with. 5x8 is what I first thought of. I looked at a 4x6, and I just don't see that being an overly usable size because of one consideration. That consideration is I'd like to be able to move machines with legs on, and on occasion, more than one. Measuring the length of a typical game at the levelers, it should fit in a 5' wide trailer once inside. The issue is that with barn doors, you don't get the full width at the back wall.

So next, what type of doors do trailer guys suggest? Barn doors seem to me to be able to get you closer to a loading area, potentially. My buddy and I used a 6x12 with barn doors and a ramp he had and was able to back up pretty close to the dock. A larger concern I have is the lip on a ramp style door.

So, anyone have some feedback on past experience?

1. Does a 5x8 work if I wanted to put games in sideways?
    2. What door type is suggested?

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

You’re gonna wish you got the 6’ wide trailer. Only downside is the wider the trailer, the less you see in your side view mirrors. Prefer the ramp.

I guess the width is not really a big factor for me, it's the length that is associated with it. Not like another 2' in length is going to put me over the limit, but also don't want big just for fun.

Also interesting about the ramp. I just picture my dolly's wheels struggling to get up and over the lip of a door ramp. I do this solo, so it's not like I can lift the whole setup when something is in the way.

#6 5 years ago

Lots of good info. Thanks for the replies so far.

#34 5 years ago
    Quoted from too-many-pins:

After looking at the "specs" on a Journey I need to ask is yours a 4 cylinder or a 6 cylinder. If you are working with a 4 cylinder you might want to just live with a 5x8 trailer because it will tow better with a smaller motor. The smallest I would go would be a 6x10 but with the hills out in your area that might be too much for a 4 cylinder to handle. If you add wind resistance & hills together you will be working that poor little vehicle to death with a 6' wide trailer if you are running the smaller motor.
    As much as I hate using them you might actually be better off with a 5x10 open trailer if you are towing with a 4 cylinder. I hate to suggest open trailers but sometimes it is just the best way to go with a smaller tow vehicle!

I have a V6 in the Journey.

I also have a V6 Tacoma living at my house, since my parents seem to like it there compared to at their house 2 miles away. Doesn't bother me and has been handy to have. I'd just use that to move games if the gate wasn't so far above the max height of my lift. I'm also over lifting up my lift into a vehicle, since wheeling it up a ramp is way more appealing.

#36 5 years ago
    Quoted from Phat_Jay:

Harbor freight table jacks? The 1,000lb one will lift damn near three feet up, but it’s heavy so it needs to stay in garage.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lbs-capacity-hydraulic-table-cart-69148.html[quoted image]

I have a 500-LB lift table from HF. It's great, but doesn't lift high enough to be even with the gate of a TRD Tacoma. It's several inches short, and I move games solo and don't want to wrestle with lifting things into the truck every time. Plus, picking up the lift every time has worn thin at this point. I'm ready for something to make moves a little easier on myself.

#54 5 years ago

I’ve had my questions answered by some very helpful members, so if this evolves into a more general trailer conversation that’s all good. I found a pretty good candidate and went to look yesterday. It’s a 6x10 that is pretty much what I think I’d try first as far as configuration. Hoping to take it home this weekend.

2 weeks later
    #75 5 years ago

I ended up getting a 6X10 (barn doors) and with the Tacoma it pulled just fine. Since the Tacoma is available to me pretty much at all times I'll likely just use that until things change. I got a folding (long ways) ramp from Harbor Freight and it'll do just fine for my needs. I did a circuit route where I moved/swapped a game from each of my locations and it went just fine. It takes a little more time and I have to park in specific areas, but I also don't really have to lift anything. The only "hump" is getting my lift cart up onto the ramp, which isn't even very bad.

the 6X10 has already proven a good choice because at one time I had 2 machines in and I needed to swing one around. I was able to do that with my lift in the width of the trailer and I doubt I could have in the 5' wide trailer.

Going up to Phoenix this weekend to get some arcade games. Hoping to add some "supplemental pinball income" to one of my locations with the arcades.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider desertt1.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin-hauler-trailer-discussion?tu=desertt1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.