Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by timtim
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

So I've been thinking of hosting a partial pin-golf tournament soon and was curious to get suggestions for some target scores.

I currently have only 8 pins so I can't do a true 9 or 18 "holes". But figured I would do 7 and have one as a backup. I plan to set to 6 balls for a possible 7 strokes per game setup. Players that would show up would be from new to medium skilled players. So 1+ billion on a TZ would be a too much for this crowd. That being said, please give me any suggestions you may have for scores or even rules. This would be both the first time I host a tournament and the first time playing pin golf so any suggestions for machine settings I may forget would be helpful too.

Games: EATPM, TZ, IJ 93, TSPP, CFtBL, RFM, JY, and JD.

Thanks.

#2 10 years ago

get a handful of representative players and have a night of pinball. That is the best way to both decide what goals/scores to use for each game and how difficult. I suggest just leaving them on 3 ball and most goals should be reachable by a good to avg player in 3. This brings the penalty stroke of starting a second game into play more often. Try and make goals that will carry over.

For example: Collect all 4 letters in CFTBL works good. Someone could get F I L in the first game and then only need to get M in the second game.

As opposed to start a multiball in CFTBL, which means if they do not get it by ball 3 then they start over from scratch at the beinging of the 2nd game.

Good players should shoot par but rarely get to the goal/score on 1 ball. Bad players will likely be stroking out on many games. Make stroke out be the end of the second game = 8 (3 for first game, penalty stroke, 3 for second game, another penalty stroke for still not getting to goal)

#3 10 years ago

also I have more info on general rules at www.madrollinpinball.com

#4 10 years ago

Thanks for the input. I hadn't thought of it as objective based rather than score based. That definitely gives me another dynamic for how to look at each machine.

#5 10 years ago

Par score suggestions:
    TZ 200M
    TSPP 8M
    CFTBL 80M

#6 10 years ago

Yeah, I would stick to three ball as well. If you set it on six and someone nails it in the first couple balls, you'll be waiting around while they plunge their remaining 4 balls throughout the night, and they'll be stuck at one game doing so. Multiply that by several players and the night will drag on.

#7 10 years ago

Suggestions

JD - 200-300M
    RFM - 100M

#8 10 years ago

Most newer games set to free play can be reset by pressing and holding the start button, so that shouldn't be a reason to stick to 3 ball vs. 5. I prefer 5, max score of 6.

I also prefer no target score, and only trying to get a certain objective.

#9 10 years ago

goals (picking things that you normally don't go for in regular play can be fun)

EATPM - certain # of letters (3 maybe) in ELVIRA
    TZ - collect certain number of hitchhikers, or spiral awards maybe
    IJ 93 - advance multiplier to a certain level perhaps by getting lanes, or maybe get in that hole on the mini playfield
    TSPP - get 2 itchy scratchy, or maybe 3 hurry up shots complete
    CFtBL - start move your car, or start video mode
    RFM - martian multiball start maybe
    JY - dont know the game well enough, maybe certain number of junk items needed, or certain level of video mode complete
    JD - advance that captive ball multiplier by hitting it 3 times, or whatever it is

#10 10 years ago

What i like about pin golf with objectives, is that it really forces a new player to learn at least one part of the rules. Since the objective is only one or two things that are possible, it is not too overwhelming.

A neat advantage of pin golf in general is that if a couple really good players show up, they will not play forever!

#11 10 years ago

Sounds like a fun time...I had never heard of this before.

#12 10 years ago

scores alone are boring... objective based games are more fun because you can forced people to play in ways they don't normally play!

#13 10 years ago

The Pin-Golf events run out here utilize a score AND objective format. Each table has an actual objective (earn X amount of mansion rooms in TAF) and a score objective. Earn either one to move on. The key to making this work is to make the score objective higher than what the player will earn going for the normal objective. So the player has to be realistic about their skill set and what he/she can or can not do...and decide which objective is worth the risk/reward.

Straight score objective is kind of "blah" and there are vastly superior formats if score is how you're gauging who wins and loses. The magic of the Pin-golf format is that if you truly are the better player, on paper, you should have the control and shooting chops to start a specific mode or activate some rule in as few balls as possible.

#14 10 years ago

This is some great feedback guys. I really appreciate it and i'm pretty certain I will be going with an objective based system for sure. As for having a score backup - I may consider that too, or perhaps only on a certain pin. But for the reasons above, I would definately prefer objectives simply to make it move a bit faster, but to also level the field so each game can seem simple enough in theory for anyone.

I hope to do this in the next 2-3 weeks, i'll make sure to give some feedback for what I used and how it seemed to go. Any additional suggestions are still welcome.

1 year later
    #15 9 years ago

Been perusing pin-golf threads and this one looks the most relevant to post in. Does anyone have any other goals for games they like? Would love to see what people think might be good on any games. I'll be hosting a tourney at a place that has about 100+ machines of all eras so getting ideas.

Thanks in advance! (FYI I may make a Google doc that can be shared with the goals from all the games - or post it here to collate them in one place).

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from genex:

Been perusing pin-golf threads and this one looks the most relevant to post in. Does anyone have any other goals for games they like? Would love to see what people think might be good on any games. I'll be hosting a tourney at a place that has about 100+ machines of all eras so getting ideas.
    Thanks in advance! (FYI I may make a Google doc that can be shared with the goals from all the games - or post it here to collate them in one place).

Where would this tournament be? Also, have you reached out to Johnny? He used to run a lot of pingolf tourneys. It might be easier if you had a core list of games.

#17 9 years ago

Yeah, what are the games!

Here's a list of ideas I came up with for machines that were at the Pyramid Scheme. Haven't run a pingolf there yet though. I like goals that you can build up to over balls. For example, not a big fan of starting gravemarker mb on MET because they reset if you fail. When you're golfing, you don't start at the tee every time you don't get a hole in one. I also dislike goals that are already part of the normal high scoring strategy for the game, make people shoot those weird shots they otherwise wouldn't. That said, sometimes I couldn't think of anything original...

BoP
    Metomorphosis
    #loops
    #multiplier

LOTR
    DTR on easy settings?
    Start ROTK
    Get Ring Frenzy
    Start FOTR on Hard
    Get 1 Elf Gift

ToM
    Spell Theatre
    Collect Theatre Jackpot
    Get clock to Midnight

FT
    monster Fish
    Get a Super
    Video Mode

WCS'94
    defeat # teams
    score # goals

AC/DC
    play # songs
    get to 3x
    collect 2 song jackpots

ST
    Acheive warp #
    3 in a row
    start galactic mode

AFM
    # saucers
    martian MB
    Total Annihilation

MET
    Sparky
    Start Fuel
    # Blown Piston

ST:TNG
    Picard Man
    # modes
    Warp factor 7

TZ
    Get in bf hole
    hit dead end
    # hitchhikers
    # door panels

TDK
    2x a shot
    Joker MB
    Bat Signal MB
    Light Lucius (lol)

WH2O
    bigfoot bluff
    5x playfield
    bonus X

WOZ
    spell rescue
    activate ball saver mode
    play crystal ball mode

MM
    Launch # Catapult Items
    Start Royal Madness
    Castle MB on hard

SM
    Spider Sense
    Finish Unity Day
    light 3x shot

CV
    strike an arc
    # ring masters

IJ
    Get on POA
    MB
    # x bonus
    Narrow Escape

MB
    # monsters
    collect # inst.

TOTAN
    # jewels

max lamp spins
    Harem

XM
    fight # villains
    # heros

SS
    Monster's Lab
    start scared stiff

#18 9 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

Where would this tournament be? Also, have you reached out to Johnny? He used to run a lot of pingolf tourneys. It might be easier if you had a core list of games.

I'm collecting info for all machines but specifically what's spurring this along is the New Years Eve tourney at PPM in Alameda. Thanks for these tips everyone!

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from appeac:

I also dislike goals that are already part of the normal high scoring strategy for the game, make people shoot those weird shots they otherwise wouldn't. That said, sometimes I couldn't think of anything original...

I agree. Thus, you may want to re-think a few --- or spend more time thinking of goals that aren't part of a typical tourney strategy/exploit. ToM goal should never be about spelling THEATRE, for instance.

Here's a few more for you:

ToM
    Play Tiger Saw MB
    Complete Spirit Ring

FT
    Start Feeding Frenzy
    Achieve the higher Captive Ball levels (Video Mode only requires four shots)

WCS'94
    Advance to X City

ST:TNG
    X Neutral Zone modes played

WH2O
    advance to X raft level

WOZ
    Advance to Fireball Frenzy
    Start a Munchkin Mode
    Advance your Munchkin multiplier (by one successful "completion" of HOADC --- although this one likely too difficult to explain to novice players)
    Advance YBR to X.

MM
    Complete Trolls (lite Troll Madness)

CV
    Complete X # (or all) of the non-important marvels: Menagerie, Spin, Balloon, Acrobats

MET
    Start Lady Justice mode

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from Snailman:

I agree. Thus, you may want to re-think a few --- or spend more time thinking of goals that aren't part of a typical tourney strategy/exploit. ToM goal should never be about spelling THEATRE, for instance.

I know for tourney players that it's the dominant strategy, and for the A players it would be an easy hole in one, but some of the lower players never shoot loops, don't even know it's a strategy on that game and honestly probably can't combo it... It's actually kind of fun shooting the loop, and yeah, watching someone do it 200+ times is boring as fuck, but trying to do it 7 times is fun!

Play Tiger Saw MB - Like it

Start Feeding Frenzy - Don't remember how to do this, actually

Complete Trolls (lite Troll Madness) - thought about it, but if you drain halfway through you have to hit a bajillion standups again, right?

#21 9 years ago

Love these - thanks again for the input - can you also include how to do some of these? I don't know how to start Feeding Frenzy either

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from genex:

Love these - thanks again for the input - can you also include how to do some of these? I don't know how to start Feeding Frenzy either

Feeding Frenzy is started by lighting the four fish across the center of the playfield. There is a set of standups on either side of the playfield with a 3 segment fish in front of them. Hit those standups when flashing until all three are lit - that lights the next of the four fish. (You can then hit the left orbit to spin the spinner and light "Tale Told" for that fish, and the spinner gives you a random multiplier for your catch. Lighting Tale Told isn't necessary for Feeding Frenzy - but it does give you 1m times your multiplier, plus 500k in each subsequent bonus).

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from appeac:

I know for tourney players that it's the dominant strategy, and for the A players it would be an easy hole in one, but some of the lower players never shoot loops, don't even know it's a strategy on that game and honestly probably can't combo it... It's actually kind of fun shooting the loop, and yeah, watching someone do it 200+ times is boring as fuck, but trying to do it 7 times is fun!
    Play Tiger Saw MB - Like it
    Start Feeding Frenzy - Don't remember how to do this, actually
    Complete Trolls (lite Troll Madness) - thought about it, but if you drain halfway through you have to hit a bajillion standups again, right?

get Troll bombs and then use them when you drain in the number of them covers the needed hits to get the trolls.

#24 9 years ago

The thing most GOLF tourneys do wrong is after the qualifying is over they switch to best score format which totally defeats the purpose of qualifying in Golf Format.

#25 9 years ago

Pin-golf is very fun. In one tournament, on Dracula you had to start rats which is odd shot but was a challenge.
    That is what is great about pin-golf is you have to approach the game totally differently. As long as its objective based.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin-golf-tournament-suggestions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.