7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by TheLaw
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

So, chatting off line with a fellow pinsider about pin-friends got me wondering how many others are out there like me/us.

I got into this hobby without having a single friend who liked pinball, or knew about it for that matter. Since then, I have met some pretty cool folks who are, very much, into pinball. What's developed for me is two distinct groups of friends, who don't mix.

Much of my original core group, and ironically enough, the only ones where my wife shows up, could really care less about pinball. Some walk right past them and don't even seem to notice. Sure, we have nights with friends over to play, but it's mostly about kids and chatting, and not much adult playing. I can try to introduce pinball all I want, but it just doesn't really stick. Not with my friends. I find this fascinating given how much I have grown to love pinball. Amazing how different people's tastes can be. There's nothing wrong with is at all...Just find it interesting given the extremes. Perhaps a sign that this hobby is more of an obsession? I know my wife would agree there, and she likes pinball!

Anyone else seem to have life developing into two halves? Anyone only have pin friends?

#2 7 years ago

I would say most of my friends are now "pinball friends". I get the occasional friend of my wife, or friend of a friend who's mildly interested.

#3 7 years ago

One friend from before I started collecting that is into pinball, his wife won't let him buy one.
    I managed to get my wife to play one game and that was on a NIB Elvis, she has no interest in my "Bing Bong machines".
    The rest could care less and don't want to play them.
    Made quite a few friends who are into the hobby and only one is local, I am kind of off the beaten path.
    My son loves them, none of his friends are interested and are all into video games.

#4 7 years ago

I will put it this way...Goonie, I am not sure I have even met you but with your line up of pins, I already consider you a friend!

#5 7 years ago

Most of mine just roll their eyes or politely play a game but that's it.
    B.t.w. Isn't that why we people hang out on forums like this?

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

I will put it this way...Goonie, I am not sure I have even met you but with your line up of pins, I already consider you a friend!

Ha, thanks man. We have not met, but from what I have seen on-line, you are welcome any time.

Got to love my wife...the only reason I think I still own TotaN is because it's the one machine she said I can never sell.

The distance issue amongst pin-friends is one of the things that sparked this thread. I'm realizing how many folks there are right around me and to the West. And people say I live in Iowa!

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from Goonie:

And people say I live in Iowa!

I worked just west of the Provena Mercy Medical center in Aurora at the Chicago Air Traffic Control Center. I wish I would have been active in pin collecting back then. There are so many "Chicago" area people involved on this forum.

#8 7 years ago

Most of my friends kind of went the same path, friends before pinball friends into pinball . and new pinball friends . But it is funny that I think its odd when people have no interest in pinball .

#9 7 years ago

I have met some really cool people through this site. Some family plays.......my friends aren't into it at all. If they do play they bore quickly. Luckily my father-in-law, brother-in-law, and my brother are pretty good and it's fun having them over.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

But it is funny that I think its odd when people have no interest in pinball .

Right? It's like, what is WRONG with you!

My wife just said 5 min ago when I explained this thread, "well, it is a little overwhelming. People are probably afraid they'll break them."

#11 7 years ago

Great thread topic. I definitely have these two groups, though being brand new my pin friends are still a small bunch.

I have called neighbors over every time i bring a pin home to help me carry it, not once after lugging them in and helping me setup legs etc do they stick around to play. Luckily my 16 yr old daughter and her friends and my 13, 11, and 9 year old sons and their friends all play them every day. So i am never alone at home playing by myself.

My best friends all know of my 'obsession' and have thanked me for not trying to explain it to them lol. Oh well, keeps me balanced I guess.

#12 7 years ago

I have pinball friends, snowmobiling friends, lifelong friends, golf friends, wife's friends, friends who are parents of boys my son plays ball with, drinking friends, and so on. Some overlap, some mix, some don't. Variety is the spice of life. For the most part the general population is not interested in pinball.

#13 7 years ago

Same here. Most of my friends are kinda hobby specific too and don't overlap much.

#14 7 years ago

I have one long time friend who is into pinball, he got it from me. I have a whole other group that has no interest at all and asks " they still make those things"?? Now from being in this hobby I have made friends with many people including the one who started this thread.

#15 7 years ago

I have mostly non pin friends of which a few like to play them when they come over. When they do play they all seem to really like playing them, however whenever I get talking about them into extremes like I'm sure we all do they seem to obviously not be as into it as I am. I guess I need more pin friends to fill that void.

#16 7 years ago

I'm new to this but how do Pinhead friends work?

Is there like one major a-hole rich guy with 50 pins that everybody ass kisses so that they can get invites to his pin parties?

I'm half joking of course, but I could imagine the allure of playing another person's table to be enough to make you put up with some pretty interesting character flaws.

#17 7 years ago

I never cared about pinball, until I saw a vid on youtube, it was a review for TSPP, had to look around here for dealers and distributors found only 2 and they only had IM and BBH, decided to go for IM NIB and it was my first pin.

Only 2 of my friends play on my pins from time to time, the other do not really care, they always ask why owning all these games, aren't they all the same with different decals !!!

I don't blame them because I always thought the same, until I saw the review above "link" and learnt about rules and mods.

Not many people here play or own pinball, so most of my pinball chat is here with you guys lol

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from Goonie:

So, chatting off line with a fellow pinsider about pin-friends got me wondering how many others are out there like me/us.
    I got into this hobby without having a single friend who liked pinball, or knew about it for that matter. Since then, I have met some pretty cool folks who are, very much, into pinball. What's developed for me is two distinct groups of friends, who don't mix.
    Much of my original core group, and ironically enough, the only ones where my wife shows up, could really care less about pinball. Some walk right past them and don't even seem to notice. Sure, we have nights with friends over to play, but it's mostly about kids and chatting, and not much adult playing. I can try to introduce pinball all I want, but it just doesn't really stick. Not with my friends. I find this fascinating given how much I have grown to love pinball. Amazing how different people's tastes can be. There's nothing wrong with is at all...Just find it interesting given the extremes. Perhaps a sign that this hobby is more of an obsession? I know my wife would agree there, and she likes pinball!
    Anyone else seem to have life developing into two halves? Anyone only have pin friends?

I was talking to my brother (ssbodyman) earlier today about this, which I think he had mentioned he talked with you the other day and it got me thinking. I know there are a few posts I've seen where a bunch of locals get together monthly at each others house to talk about and play pinball. This is something given the amount of guys on here in a close area could be done for sure. I'd gladding host one of these events if someone wanted to organize something like that.

#19 7 years ago

I still haven't made it to a show so I've only met a handful of people that are really in the hobby. I find I instantly hit it off with them all though; met up with a cool and fun pinsider yesterday actually.

I'm working on converting some of my pre-hobby friends into pinball addicts like myself.

Quoted from trilogybeer:

But it is funny that I think its odd when people have no interest in pinball .

Big plus one on this. LOL

#20 7 years ago

Well, I know this is a shameless self promotion (not that I am getting anything financial out of it, just my home turf!) but you should all meet your pin friends @ the pinside pinvitational in October in Iowa...

#21 7 years ago

What are non-pin friends?

#22 7 years ago

Almost all my friends are not into the hobby. Some will come over and play, or help work on them, but most could care less and wouldn't spend money on one. My wife doesn't care for my hobby.

So it is more of my own thing. If I had more friends into it, I guess I would spend even more money I don't have.

#23 7 years ago
    Quoted from BallPtPenTheif:

I'm new to this but how do Pinhead friends work?
    Is there like one major a-hole rich guy with 50 pins that everybody ass kisses so that they can get invites to his pin parties?
    I'm half joking of course, but I could imagine the allure of playing another person's table to be enough to make you put up with some pretty interesting character flaws.

You may be half joking, but I'm pretty sure you just nailed at least part of the Dallas community to a T for the most part.....

Thank christ I haven't run into that on Pinside. Both guys I know that post here (met one, haven't met the other yet but have standing agreement to meet up..uh...sometime.) are very cool.

#24 7 years ago

I've tried (unsuccessfully) to get many of my friends into pinball. They will play a few games when they come over, but I usually feel like they're doing it just to humor me.

#25 7 years ago

For me it is a delicate balance that is somewhat intertwined. I have MANY local pin-friends. I also have a handful of old friends from before I got into pinball. Some of my old friends have picked up the pinball bug to a degree and even bought machines, some have not. Some of my pin-friends have become close friends and get along with my old friends. We do both pinball related and non pinball related activities together, like going out to a bar/restaurant, watching B-movies, or going boating, fishing or camping. The only conflict stems from those of my old friends who don't get into pinball complaining that we always talk about pinball, or that we are glued to the machines when we are anywhere that has games. We are certainly never bored, though.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I've tried (unsuccessfully) to get many of my friends into pinball. They will play a few games when they come over, but I usually feel like they're doing it just to humor me.

Exact same here. I think they are amused by it. Ever since I started buying pins a couple years ago my old buddies will just smirk and say things like "so, got any new games recently?" Or "ok what did you buy now?"

They enjoy playing it while they're playing it but it's not their thing. I get it. Sort of like me and billiards.

Met a few local pinheads and they've all been eat up with pinball more like me. Some people get bitten and some don't.

#27 7 years ago

I have a few pin-friends, but the rest aren't interested.

#28 7 years ago

I have one friend who is sorta into pinball and i just found a coworker who actually enjoys playing.

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from Doot77:

I was talking to my brother (ssbodyman) earlier today about this, which I think he had mentioned he talked with you the other day and it got me thinking. I know there are a few posts I've seen where a bunch of locals get together monthly at each others house to talk about and play pinball. This is something given the amount of guys on here in a close area could be done for sure. I'd gladding host one of these events if someone wanted to organize something like that.

I'd love to get in on something like that. I'm just getting started so only have one machine to offer but am hoping to own more machines soon.

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from floyd1977:

I'd love to get in on something like that. I'm just getting started so only have one machine to offer but am hoping to own more machines soon.

Yeah, we definitely need to get something started for sure. Just need someone with the initative to start it, and honestly I'm too quiet/shy person to start something off as it takes me a bit to open up face to face. But there are quite a few I can think of off hand within a half hour 45 min drive of us both. I also actually work in the city you live too.

BTW- I'm hoping to own more soon too, if I could only find something to buy!

#31 7 years ago

I am extremely surprised Chicago doesn't have a league or club or something. If one doesn't exist, start one like we did. Doesn't have to be more than a few guys at your house and then try and get another person to volunteer. Worked for us in Anchorage.

#32 7 years ago

I actually just had a group of pinsiders over my place tonight to do just that. Play pinball talk pinball and drink some beers.

I didn't get into this hobby until I moved to Connecticut. Before that all my friends were my old life long friends. I moved here two years ago and knew no one and had no family. Pinside and this hobby introduced me to all the friends I have around me now. So really all I have are pinfriends now.

#33 7 years ago

I think alot are intimidated by a pinball machine. I have tried numerous times to get friends and family members involved but none are interested. My wife was the one who told me when we moved to a bigger house "We should get a pinball machine." She and my son love playing High Speed. Although we need more machines, have room for 3 total. Need to win lottery first! Happy to have atleast one in the home though.

#34 7 years ago

A lot of my friends followed me down the pinball path pretty much just shortly after I went down it myself. I think it can be attributed to the Midwest Gaming Classic. I am one of the main organizers of the show, and so they tend to help at the show, and when they saw all these different machines and how you could really play and get better at them, they all jumped on board.

This year, I met someone because our sons were together in a tots swimming class, he helped with the show, and on Sunday bought a machine that is now in his living room. Had no interest before that point.

Having said that, honestly, I rarely play pinball when I hang out with the pinball friends

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from SealClubber:

I am extremely surprised Chicago doesn't have a league or club or something.

Chicago does have a few leagues , just hard to get into . They must keep the number of members in a league to a reasonable number , How many people could really host a league night where 50 plus people show up.

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

I would say most of my friends are now "pinball friends". I get the occasional friend of my wife, or friend of a friend who's mildly interested.

I would say this is true.

Almost all of my friends are now into pinball. It helps to have beers and a free arcade in home =-)

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

How many people could really host a league night where 50 plus people show up.

Yeah, that would be hard. I guess the bigger cities have that problem. I meant more like start a club like thing. Doesn't have to be formal or a lot of people. I think I had 10 people at most at my last Bash.

#38 7 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

Chicago does have a few leagues , just hard to get into . They must keep the number of members in a league to a reasonable number , How many people could really host a league night where 50 plus people show up.

I think that would be an awesome problem to have! Far better than a pinball desert!

#39 7 years ago

Thought I haven't personally dealt with this issue, I had a friend who had a great perspective about situations like this. He was a guitarist in an indie band who also worked as a video game tester. So his friends primarily consisted of hipsters, college friends, and gamers from work. You can imagine the culture clash between all those groups. Oddly enough, I was his friend who existed in all 3 groups.. I went to college with him, i went to hipster clubs, and i worked with him.

His attitude was, "who am I to determine who should and should not hang out with each other?" When he was younger he was fixated with this idea of "different types" of friends but as he got older he was just fed up with handling everybody. So, he just mass invited everybody to every party he threw. From his perspective, it was like a giant comic book crossover and he himself was just curious as to how it would all pan out. It was amusing, seeing a gang of tight jeaned hipsters flipping over a anime loving gamer in Jnco jeans upside down for a keg stand.

#40 7 years ago

I have one old friend who is into pinball he has owned 3 still has a kiss sitting folded up in his basement right now because he has 2 young kids who are out of control. I stopped having them over to play because I cant deal with disciplining other peoples kids. The rest of my friends enjoy playing to one degree or another but not enough to jump in to this hobby.
    I have a great wife who loves to play so I feel fortunate in that. Some of you guys dont know how much fun it is to play pinball with a women in the room.
    I will say I do need more pinball friends,the few I have met since getting into this hobby are some of the highest quality people I know.

Steve

#41 7 years ago

Most of my friends are non pinheads. Usually seems to be a more stable bunch of people.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 224.99
    $ 229.99
    $ 339.00
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    £ 49.00
    Playfield - Other
    PinballToys
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    $ 20.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 109.99
    $ 12.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 9.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    Lighting - Led
    TheDudeMods
    $ 10.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 11.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside