(Topic ID: 10163)

Pin for Robin got me thinking. NEW IDEA FOR NUMBER PICKING...INPUT?

By The_Gorilla

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 79 posts
  • 37 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by The_Gorilla
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

When I was an Air Traffic Controller, we had a really great break room. Pinball machines!!!!! Billiard table, couches, chairs and a very large TV.

During the weeks of the Super Bowl, we would offer "chances" at winning this years TV.

The winner not only won the TV, though, he had to go purchase a new one with the raffle money.

Anything left over went out as consolation prizes.

SO.........

Annual pin raffle? If the price of new pins is going to be "around" $6k, we could sell:

$25 tickets 240
    $50 tickets 120
    $100 tickets 60

This is totally speculation here. Don't know if there is any interest. I don't really know if even I am interested. Just thinkin' is all....

#3 7 years ago

I would be in.

I have seen these sort of things on other forums (I collect rock art also) and a few tips that I have seen work well in the past:

-need a trustworthy person to run it (assuming payments are via paypal gift?)
    -need to have the drawing be done by a non partial person >> works well if you pick a specific state lotto and just use their ball drawing in some fashion to pick the winning number.
    -be aware that there are surely some legal issues with doing a 'raffle' when the person running it is not a NPO. Might need to constructively word things if you are worried about it. For this reason I think fewer entrants with a high cost is better (also, I think there are powerball lottos where they select from 60 balls??).

#4 7 years ago

It's good to be thinking,
    I'm out,everybody wants a piece of the pie-I'm not in a position for another temptation

#5 7 years ago

I'm in!

#6 7 years ago

I would be in. I would place my trust in a fair game here rather than the State Lotteries lately

Great idea to do this btw...hope the idea takes off!

#8 7 years ago

I hope your experience with the Robin job would be a help. I would also need to make sure on all of the things that Whysnow brought up. Attorney/Pinheads?

#9 7 years ago

Our local league did it for the finals of the year. I got 2nd and won a family guy translite. First place won a Gottlieb Volley...

#10 7 years ago

Assuming we shoot for 6k, and that the price of the pin leaves money in the pot after the purchase, give PBL, Marco, CT etc gift certificates?

#11 7 years ago

Well keep in mind that being a global forum, shipping costs will most likely be involved. That said, i'm in. This is a great idea.

#12 7 years ago

To lower the cost how about buying a used machine from someone looking to sell on pinside? Basically, have users submit a machine they are looking to sell and a price. Whatever the majority think is the best deal becomes the machine up for raffle.

#14 7 years ago

I'm so in. New or used. Do it once a month or so? I would put in 100 month for a NIB

#15 7 years ago

would be aweosme

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

To lower the cost how about buying a used machine from someone looking to sell on pinside? Basically, have users submit a machine they are looking to sell and a price. Whatever the majority think is the best deal becomes the machine up for raffle.

I'm ok with it as long as it does not introduce a level of, "Drama" into the equation. You know what I mean...as soon as you bring a local forum seller into it, with a machine they wish to unload, enter in a possible drama event/debate//emotional bickering/3,406 posts long thread discussion...yada...yada...yada.

enuff said.

#17 7 years ago

I would be in too just for the hell of it. I never, ever, win in raffles. But there's always tomorrow's chance.

I think the idea of using a state lotto number is the best idea for selection. There are a few posters on here I would trust that are senior pinheads +.

#18 7 years ago

I'd be 100% down.

#19 7 years ago

I think that since we are a 'private club', and there is no PROFIT involved, we don't have to worry so much about the legal issues. For protection, someone would need to draw up all the rules and specifics, leaving no stone unturned. Once it is clear how the raffle would work then there should be no problems.

Whoever becomes the 'spokesman' for the Pinside group and agrees to run the raffle, they could PM three major sellers and get a price on the SAME NIB. I am sure you could get Trent to give us a great option on a NIB. Set the raffle up as close to the price given ($45 for a $4,500 pin), and let any few dollars left over either go to a gift certificate like someone else said to Pinball Life, etc., or give the excess to Robin to help keep the forum going.

As for the SHIPPING . . . yes, that could be a problem, BUT . . . have each entrant to agree that if he/she is the winner, the winner would be responsible for paying the freight costs. After all, if someone is lucky enough to win a brand new pinball machine for $50, then they could easily afford to pay to have it shipped.

With all that said, I'M IN! And I lean toward the $45, $50, $60 range. BUT . . . might even consider going for a bigger hit, like $100. That would sure increase the odds!
    Mike

Post edited by Pintucky : To change "Pinball Live" to "Pinball Life"

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from v8torino:

I'm not in a position for another temptation

OK,I held out for 4 hours-Who has the tickets-Sign me up.

#21 7 years ago

Interesting idea, definitely would need to come up with a way to ensure the drawing is on the up in up. I think it would be pretty cool maybe come up with some NIB options and take a vote for what should be the prize. Maybe even an LE depending on how many people want to get in on it. I agree with Pintucky about shipping being the responsibility of the winner. Perhaps higher amount for each ticket and less overall tickets may be the easiest route but either way this would be sweet one lucky Pinsider would get a pin.

#22 7 years ago

It could be that the winner picks out a pin from a supplier near them. Say if you live in FL you could pick someone who sells locally. Then whoever is in charge would pay them and you could pick up. Could get interesting--- say there is a 6k$ pot, but the winner finds a TSPP near them for 4k$ and chooses that. Then perhaps the rest of the pot could either go to second third or fourth place people OR the remainder could stay in the pot and people could re-buy to win once it gets back up to 6k.

It would almost become like a second game where the winner is trying to find a pin as close to but not over 6k$

#23 7 years ago

Sounds like a great idea to me. I'd be in.

#24 7 years ago

I like the idea of shipping being the winners responsibility.

What my gramps always used to tell me >>"Keep It Simple Stupid"

#25 7 years ago

I'm in. I vote for the $25 option.

#26 7 years ago

Your always thinking gorilla....good show

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I like the idea of shipping being the winners responsibility.
    What my gramps always used to tell me >>"Keep It Simple Stupid"

Id pay shipping all day long on a free NIB pin. SIGN ME UP!

#28 7 years ago

I'd definitely be in.

#29 7 years ago

I like the idea, new or used does not matter. It's a pinball machine!!!

#30 7 years ago

Would work best for me

#31 7 years ago

I'd definitely be interested if the rules allowed for a machine to be sourced locally - shipping a NIB from the States to Europe would not only be expensive, but Stern's made for the domestic market are generally blocked from working in the EU!

#32 7 years ago

Well, we finally have a covering of snow in the Midwest so between day dreaming about this and thinking about the pin/golf outing I have something to occupy my thoughts...rather than CL!

Anyone know the Chicago expo dates for 2012?

#33 7 years ago

I'd be in... Great idea

#34 7 years ago

I'd be in for this but be warned, Paypal *WILL* shut you down.

It happened on another pinball site I'm on.. did a raffle for a 60-in-1. They look for certain keywords in the notes (kinda invasive don't you think?) like "raffle" or "lottery".

Otherwise I'm game.

Also for shipping, honestly.. if I won the game I'd be totally ok with paying for my own shipping.

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_customs:

It happened on another pinball site I'm on.. did a raffle for a 60-in-1. They look for certain keywords in the notes (kinda invasive don't you think?) like "raffle" or "lottery".

We might have to call it a gift instead of a raffle,just for namesake.

#36 7 years ago

I would be in at the $25 for sure. The shipping for us is pretty high as well which I would pay.

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_customs:

They look for certain keywords in the notes (kinda invasive don't you think?) like "raffle" or "lottery".

IF it is a gift, not that any notes are needed but, "for your pin" should do nicely.

I like the idea of letting the winner work out either shipping or purchasing from a local distributor. Why ship to Alaska if you can buy it from someone there?

OK. Ummmm.....I am going to work on this some more. I will probably be PM contacting some of you as a "team" to make this work. No rush, it would be nice to get it rolling though.

Uhhhhh...ya'll aren't going to beat me with hammers if I win, are ya? Of course, I would just sell it a week later anyway!

#38 7 years ago

Also, how many entries per person?

One, unlimited, same price for 1 or 2 or 3 etc?

I lean toward 1. Hope we can get enough interested. Could take some time to get enough entries.

Sigh...I better do some work. Later

#39 7 years ago

I think one ticket per person to give everyone a chance . . . unless . . . we see they are not selling well. Then, it could be opened up to multiple ticket buying by an individual.

To choose the winner, you need to set an EXACT date for the finish. Our church has a raffle like this (Catholic, of course! Ha.) and after all the tickets are sold, the next Friday decides the winner. It is the last three numbers of the Dow Jones results at close of business on the New York Stock Exchange that Friday evening. THAT cannot be minipulated.
    Mike

#40 7 years ago

Why not? I'm in gorilla, once you get it set up.

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

Uhhhhh...ya'll aren't going to beat me with hammers if I win, are ya? Of course, I would just sell it a week later anyway!

I call first dibs! Pin fund should be replenished by then.

#42 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pintucky:

It is the last three numbers of the Dow Jones results at close of business on the New York Stock

So entries must also pick a unique 3 digit number? Or do I assign them? Or?

#43 7 years ago

Maybe a minimum karma rating too? Nothing big but we want to keep people from creating accounts to buy multiples if we are only allowing one ticket per person?

#44 7 years ago

I'm in if this happens!

#45 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Maybe a minimum karma rating too? Nothing big but we want to keep people from creating accounts to buy multiples if we are only allowing one ticket per person?

Yea very good point there. It may be a good idea to exclude newer accounts then the date of this post for this very reason. I think we are much more likely to get 120 valid entries then we would with entering 240. I guess what I am saying is people would be a bit more likely to figure out a way to double enter at $25 than they would at $50. Either way it would be fun hope we figure out a way to make it fair and get a Pinsider a pin.

#46 7 years ago
    Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

Maybe a minimum karma rating too?

I agree. Only people with 65,000+ karma should be allowed to participate.

#47 7 years ago

A: As long as each entry costs the same, do we care if peeps try multiple entries?

B: If each entry must send an accompanying email with contact information is it likely that I (or whoever ends up running this) would be able to tell if a person has more than one entry from the contact information? Assuming that we get an accurate mailing address for the "delivery" of the pin?

Ball is rolling...

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I agree. Only people with 65,000+ karma should be allowed to participate.

Go ahead...Gonna be awhile before the rest of us can purchase an entry though....

#49 7 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

I agree. Only people with 65,000+ karma should be allowed to participate. []

Gweem you would have to buy all the tickets

#50 7 years ago
    Quoted from scooter:

Gweem you would have to buy all the tickets

You have a point. I might as well just buy myself a NIB pin.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 140.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 7.65
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 26.50
    $ 26.95
    $ 14.50
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 139.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Medisinyl Mods
    $ 19.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 40.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 74.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 179.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 15.00
    $ 48.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 209.99
    $ 109.95
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Pinball Pro
    $ 12.95
    $ 229.99
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 69.00
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    There are 79 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside