Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by underlord
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

E2954B91-C1DC-4893-B42E-CB484AFB4420 (resized).jpeg
    129FE9EC-B383-40E5-AEEA-8092596814E5 (resized).jpeg
    F50A7B80-269F-4A39-9CED-D6ADD29D9DF4 (resized).jpeg
    soft drink (resized).jpg
    pasted_image56 (resized).png
    89146B4E-00A2-4397-A57D-1788690AC95C (resized).jpeg
    #1 1 year ago

Hey, y'all. I became a first time pinball owner a few weeks ago. We owned Roller Disco when I was a kid for many years but I just recently picked up my favorite pin... Haunted House. I quickly found Pinside. I am always reluctant to ask questions in forums because it has been my experience over the years that many forums are full of rude people who think their stuff does not stink and you are just a moron wasting their time. Pinside has not been this way. While I have not made a ton of posts those that I have made all the replies have been kind, courteous, respectful, and most of all helpful.

The pinball community has thus far been a pleasant experience and I am grateful to now be a part of it.

Thanks!

#2 1 year ago

Welcome!

#3 1 year ago

Good to hear!

Love that Haunted House. It can be a bit daunting under the playfield but they can be made solid.

#4 1 year ago

Welcome!

I have owned 3 haunted houses. How are you liking it?

What are you thinking for your next pin?

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Good to hear!
    Love that Haunted House. It can be a bit daunting under the playfield but they can be made solid.

EJS
    LOL the one I picked up was "not working" but I quickly fixed all issues save L19 would not work and there was no battery/capacitor to save scores. Well... it would not reliable boot after I soldered on a supercap. Even after I removed the supercap it would not reliably boot. I thought I might have perhaps loosened the EPROM so I removed it and without thinking put it back in.... upside down .... Yup bricked it! I have a Pascal board on the way and will get the OG boards rehabed as backups. I am also going to attempt to reburn the EPROM or buy used ones and burn them.

Daditude
    This was my absolute favorite machine growing up. I would play it all the time at the skating rink in my home town. I would like to find Roller Disco again for nostalgia reasons. I have found I enjoy working on them almost as much as playing them. I would like to buy another that is in need of some repair, fix it up and then start trading pins but I will never give up my haunted house!

#6 1 year ago

Are you yawning? - "y'all" isn't a word in any English dictionary I can find so you must be tired and yawning.

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

Are you yawning? - "y'all" isn't a word in any English dictionary I can find so you must be tired and yawning.

Its not English.. its Texan! The greatest country on Earth!

#8 1 year ago

Welcome to the club, neighbor! Well, Keller is a bit of a hike from here, but welcome!

89146B4E-00A2-4397-A57D-1788690AC95C (resized).jpeg89146B4E-00A2-4397-A57D-1788690AC95C (resized).jpeg
    #9 1 year ago

Well theres the rude Yall was talking about.Welcome to Pinside,some nice some not so much.

#10 1 year ago

Welcome to the wonderful world of Pinside !

LTG : )

#11 1 year ago

Welcome! I too enjoy fixing them as much as playing them. Hope you have plenty of space for the next ones because they multiply quick! As a side note, I have family in Keller, Tx. I live in Iowa, so it's a heck of a drive but we try to go down and visit about once a year. We're planning a trip for later this August. Hopefully the gas prices keep dropping.

#12 1 year ago
    pasted_image56 (resized).pngpasted_image56 (resized).png
    #13 1 year ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

[quoted image]

The new guy has chosen a Haunted House as his first trial by fire AND still enjoys the hobby.
    He gets a pass!

Also “Y’all” is considered hip now, even goofy city people now say it out of nowhere without a southern accent.

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

[quoted image]

Y'all is a very common phrase used by people who live in the southern states, especially people from Texas. Y'all = you all.

this might be helpful for you: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/hillaryreinsberg/who-says-yall-and-10-other-maps-showing-where-americans-say

#15 1 year ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

[quoted image]

It's pretty commonly used here in the US. Even Merriam Webster recognizes it.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/y%27all

I don't know if you were just trying to be funny, but please don't pick on the new guy. Especially since he took the time to say nice things about all of us.

@stvns78, welcome, and I'm glad you've been liking it here so far.

#16 1 year ago

Welcome @stvns78!

Quoted from pins4u:

"y'all" isn't a word in any English dictionary I can find so you must be tired and yawning.

What dictionaries are you looking at? Or are you confessing to not being able to find one at all? Y’all is in every English dictionary lmao! Oxford, Merriam Webster, Cambridge… all of them!

(If you’re referring to an English/Setswana dictionary, or English/French, or English/Whatever, those don’t count. They’re cross-language references, not actual dictionaries.)

#17 1 year ago

Welcome fellow DFW pinhead

#18 1 year ago

Y'all, Yinze, You'uns, Youse and the ubiquitous You Guys - all solving the problem You being singular or plural in the English language so you can't tell when addressing a group whether you mean one or more. Usually used regionally, like Y'all in Texas, You'uns in Appalachia, Yinze in Pittsburgh, etc.

The real question is, Soda, Pop, or Coke?

Oh, and welcome @stvns78!

soft drink (resized).jpgsoft drink (resized).jpg
    #19 1 year ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

We moved to Texas in 1968. This was typical:

"Want a Coke?”
    "Sure"
    "What kind?"
    "Dr. Pepper."

#20 1 year ago

Welcome!!! Ask away. Try and search the forums if you can before starting a new thread. The search function here is pretty great. If you need repair help, the tech sub forum is where you want to post.

Enjoy!!

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

Ah hem

F50A7B80-269F-4A39-9CED-D6ADD29D9DF4 (resized).jpegF50A7B80-269F-4A39-9CED-D6ADD29D9DF4 (resized).jpeg

129FE9EC-B383-40E5-AEEA-8092596814E5 (resized).jpeg129FE9EC-B383-40E5-AEEA-8092596814E5 (resized).jpeg

#22 1 year ago
    Quoted from stvns78:

Its not English.. its Texan! The greatest country on Earth!

Yes it is!
    100 times better that the most corrupt one...Illinois

#23 1 year ago

Nothing beats Pinside for tech support. You’ll find the drama in high priced sales ads threads where the price police get called into action (thanks guys!!). Or people who like to post in owners threads about how crappy their machine is (who aren’t even owners funny enough) and don’t understand the poor reception. Avoid the “which game should i buy next” and anything to do with pinball price bubbles. Oh and threads about whales. Don’t ask….

But Pinside is the place if you need help troubleshooting a problem, resources for yr game, or searching for hard to find parts. Create a post in the specific owners thread or better yet start yr own thread. Trolls can’t seem to find those so you’ll only get positive responses.

Side note that “yr” is not a proper english word. It means “your”. Sometimes “you are”. You have to read the full sentence to understand the context. Btw we use y’all here in WV too.

Welcome to Pinside.

#24 1 year ago

Welcome. Things to do now that you are in the hobby.

1. Get a second or third job to fund new pins and parts

2. Buy good deals when you find them, no matter what

3. Do not sell any pins, keep them. You will thank me later.

I started with my first ebay win, firepower and nightmare on elm street in 2004. I have had about 25 pins since. I say all the time I wish I had my TZ and TAF back after I sold them for $3k to $5K, knowing they are $10-$13 k now makes me kick myself.

Good luck with the collection!

#25 1 year ago

If you like to play EMs and are going to be on the east side of the metroplex, hit me up!

#26 1 year ago

In the south:
    Y’all means you.
    All Y’all means all of you.

#27 1 year ago

Welcome and congratulations on Haunted House. That's such a fun pin. Always great to see another person from DFW here on Pinside!

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from ReadyPO:

[quoted image]

I'm kinda a hybrid. Soda, Pop, Soda Pop are all acceptable to me. Now if someone says you want a Coke. I will say naw I want a Dr. Pepper.

One thing I can't stand is "Southern Sweet Tea". I grew up on sweet tea but this stuff is tea flavored sugar water. First time I had it I thought it was rancid and told the guy at the counter something was wrong with their tea. He took a sip and said it tasted fine LOL. I'll take the unsweet then I don't need diabeetuz.

Quoted from Randy_G:

Yes it is!
    100 times better that the most corrupt one...Illinois

Funny enough I spent my first 35 years in "downstate" Illinois. I escaped years ago when the getting was good. Moving to Texas was one of the best decisions I ever made. Even better decision than the wife and kids LOL

Already on the hunt for my next one. I want to find the ones in need of love and fix them up. Pinball machines that is...

Thanks!

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

In the south:
    Y’all means you.
    All Y’all means all of you.

Much of my Family in Tennessee and Bama use Yall daily.Now im fixin to commence to start to play some Pinball in my room over Yonder.

#30 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Ah hem
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image]

Lol, I’m in Florence right now Y’all!! I leave tonight though.

#31 1 year ago

This place saved my life. Pinball did and pinside was a big part of it.

Literally. I am biased. I love this place! Welcome.

E2954B91-C1DC-4893-B42E-CB484AFB4420 (resized).jpegE2954B91-C1DC-4893-B42E-CB484AFB4420 (resized).jpeg
    When I asked these girls at knotts berry farm about pinball, they said:
    We love pinball.

#32 1 year ago

“Y'all” is great for when you don’t know exactly who you might be referring to, or how many people. “Y’all come on over and play some pinball.”

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

[quoted image]

You lived here you’d understand. Y’all ain’t never gonna get it if you don’t live it.

And don’t bother correcting the double negatives either, nerd.

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from stvns78:

Hey, y'all. I became a first time pinball owner a few weeks ago. We owned Roller Disco when I was a kid for many years but I just recently picked up my favorite pin... Haunted House. I quickly found Pinside. I am always reluctant to ask questions in forums because it has been my experience over the years that many forums are full of rude people who think their stuff does not stink and you are just a moron wasting their time. Pinside has not been this way. While I have not made a ton of posts those that I have made all the replies have been kind, courteous, respectful, and most of all helpful.
    The pinball community has thus far been a pleasant experience and I am grateful to now be a part of it.
    Thanks!

Thank you for the kind words. Here’s to enjoying a long bright future as hobbyists together. Pinside is awesome and my refuge against all my life responsibilities.

This thread offsets the other snowflake-easily-triggered threads. Ahhh…refreshing.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin-community?hl=stvns78 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.