(Topic ID: 188518)

Pin-Bot MPU generated Voice and sounds WAY too loud and odd static.

By Oldschool77

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Sorry this is so long, i wanted to give as much detail as possible in case this is an easy fix...

I picked up a Pin-Bot this past weekend, and I'm extremely happy with it. My only issue is the sounds that are generated via the 11A MPU daughter board (Those would be all the voice call outs and most of the "sounds" such as the visor opening sound etc., NOT the background music which comes from the separate dedicated sound board) are WAY too loud in comparison to the background music. It has a Rotten dog MPU in it manufactured in 2015 (according to the sticker on it). And the dedicated factory sound card is the one that isn't populated on the top left corner (i forgot to get the Williams part number before i went to work this morning). In addition, there is a weird "helicopter" sounding background "static" when in attract mode (more then the normal system 11 Hum) which increases when i turn up the main volume pot in the cabinet.

I've tried this so far.....

1)....I can isolate the "helicopter static" noise when i unplug J1 (Analog in from 1J16 of the MPU sound daughter board) at the dedicated Williams sound board.

2) I turned up the pot on my dedicated soundboard (the Rotten dog MPU doesn't have a pot for the voices) and it seems to work fine (background music goes up and down smoothly). I forgot to note if the voices/sounds went up and down when i did that.

3) Everything turns up and down at the same ratio when i spin the cabinet pot. Which means the voices/sounds AND the music go up and down, but are still equally disproportionate.

4) I verified ALL my grounds throughout the whole cabinet via my Fluke. And ALL the screws are in on ALL the boards.

So that's the extent of my troubleshooting at this time. I normally have more then one system 11, but i don't right now, so i don't have any boards to swap out.

So now my questions....

The caps on the dedicated Sound board "look" OK. I've learned in the past (Bally...booo) they can look OK, but in reality not be. However in the 8 or so system 11 games that I've had, I've never had to re-cap a sound board. So guess anything is possible.

So does this sound like an Amp issue? (I'm aware that there are two amps one for the input from the voice Roms on the MPU and one for the Roms on the dedicated sound board.

Can one side of that tiny pot on the dedicated sound board be bad? Or is everything mixed together BEFORE that tiny pot and goes in as one input?

Could this be a rottendog daughter board issue, and do you think they would honor a repair on a board i didn't' buy from them that's 2 years old?

Also it's worth noting that the cabinet speaker is "new" and 8ohms, Not sure if that has any bearing.

Also.....If all else fails, can i install a independent pot on one of the wires from 1J16 (and if so which one, the ground wire??) to "dial back" the input from the MPU daughter board to try and turn down the voices before they go through the dedicated sound board amp? I'd imagine it'd be a set it and forget it since everything goes up and down via the main cabinet POT.

This is cross threaded on KLOV too. Sorry for all the questions, like i said I've never had a system 11 sound issue, so I'm not sure what the usual culprits are, and i haven't found any posts that are specific to my issue.

#2 6 years ago

I have never had luck with rottendog cpu boards in a system 11. Best advice is to try a known good system 11 cpu board and see if your issues clear up. It seems with rottendog cpus the sounds have issues in my exp. Whirlwind and big guns come to mind.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

I have never had luck with rottendog cpu boards in a system 11. Best advice is to try a known good system 11 cpu board and see if your issues clear up. It seems with rottendog cpus the sounds have issues in my exp. Whirlwind and big guns come to mind.

Thanks! Someone on KLOV mentioned that the resistors on the daughter board are supposed to vary from game to game, however Rottendog just put a "generic size" on them all. So to call them and find out what game specific value you should have. Hopefully i can get through to someone.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
4,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fincastle, VA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin-bot-mpu-generated-voice-and-sounds-way-too-loud-and-odd-static?hl=oldschool77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.