Pin 2000 computer problem

By WeirPinball

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Finishing up a SWE1, but the computer seems to have trouble booting. Doesn't seem to boot unless I leave it on for a few minutes, then turn off the computer and restart. Tried reseating everything in the computer, pulled the prism apart and put it back together, new power supply. It isn't the monitor, because no lamps/sounds come on. The caps on the MB are fine, not leaking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Scott

#2 7 years ago

Back from my working on computer days that sounds like bad capacitors on the MB, but it sounds like you have already inspected them. Any of them bulging?

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from Beebl:

Back from my working on computer days that sounds like bad capacitors on the MB, but it sounds like you have already inspected them. Any of them bulging?

Nope they all "look" fine. I thought caps as well, but I guess they still could be bad.

#4 7 years ago

Are you using the stock pin2k computer? Does your cpu fan spin when you turn it on? what happens after a few minutes does it boot? Maybe there is something set in the CMOS and it has to time out and then continues booting. You said you replaced the power supply. perhaps the cmos was set back to default?

Quoted from WeirPinball:

Finishing up a SWE1, but the computer seems to have trouble booting. Doesn't seem to boot unless I leave it on for a few minutes, then turn off the computer and restart. Tried reseating everything in the computer, pulled the prism apart and put it back together, new power supply. It isn't the monitor, because no lamps/sounds come on. The caps on the MB are fine, not leaking. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Scott

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Are you using the stock pin2k computer? Does your cpu fan spin when you turn it on? what happens after a few minutes does it boot? Maybe there is something set in the CMOS and it has to time out and then continues booting. You said you replaced the power supply. perhaps the cmos was set back to default?

Yes, I replaced the fan on the cpu as well - fan on cpu and ps spin on power on.

#6 7 years ago

ok, can you see the POST (booting) messages on the monitor when you turn on the game? Does it just sit there with a blank screen for several minutes or is it trying to run/load something and timing out....

Quoted from WeirPinball:

Yes, I replaced the fan on the cpu as well - fan on cpu and ps spin on power on.

#7 7 years ago

No boot period just a blank screen. I have to either power on/off the computer or game to get it to start again.

#8 7 years ago

Have you seen this document? Some help for common pin2k boot problems.

http://redspawn2k2.com/customfiles/crg/PINBALL%202000/#boot

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Have you seen this document? Some help for common pin2k boot problems.
http://redspawn2k2.com/customfiles/crg/PINBALL%202000/#boot

Nope - thanks - I'll give it a look.

#10 7 years ago

There are several different motherboards that were used in P2K games. Some had the bad cap issue, some didn't. Please don't just go blindly replacing the caps.

I've gotten in more boards with botched cap replacement attempts than every other issue combined. Replacing these caps is not to be taken lightly, you will damage the board and thru-holes if you are not experienced in such things. And even then, the board is easily damaged. I've had to repair boards sent by folks who swear they've done the cap replacement dozens of times successfully, but still managed to screw up the board.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from Borygard:

There are several different motherboards that were used in P2K games. Some had the bad cap issue, some didn't. Please don't just go blindly replacing the caps.
I've gotten in more boards with botched cap replacement attempts than every other issue combined. Replacing these caps is not to be taken lightly, you will damage the board and thru-holes if you are not experienced in such things. And even then, the board is easily damaged. I've had to repair boards sent by folks who swear they've done the cap replacement dozens of times successfully, but still managed to screw up the board.
--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

I don't plan on re-capping myself. I just re-seated the cpu and it has booted correctly so I'm going to let it sit a few hours and see if that was it.

1 month later
#12 7 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

I don't plan on re-capping myself. I just re-seated the cpu and it has booted correctly so I'm going to let it sit a few hours and see if that was it.

To close this out - ended up getting an NOS mb. Never did fix the problem

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from WeirPinball:

To close this out - ended up getting an NOS mb. Never did fix the problem

What's the going price for one of those? Mind sharing your source?

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from ypurchn:

What's the going price for one of those? Mind sharing your source?

contact Boygard above - he had the one I bought.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 169.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 135.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 234.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Cento Creations

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
5,195 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Machine - For Sale
Hackensack, NJ
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 69.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 120.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pin-2000-computer-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.