Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 42 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by 85vett
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

xfiles_bulb_diode_wiring_(resized).jpg
    xfiles_scully_badge_lit_(resized).jpg
    xfiles_badge_scotchlok_(resized).jpg
    untitled_(resized).JPG
    IMG_6745_(resized).JPG
    Goggen_Skrueløs_(resized).jpg
    like_this_(resized).png
    connections_(resized).png
    474299-1.gif
    474299.png
    chart.png
    lamp_wiring.png
    idc_bulb.png
    nuts.png
    26.jpg
    19.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

I wrote short about this in the xfiles club, but that being not frequented by "everyone" I thought Id ask here in tech section.

I have a "normal" .555 bulbbase with two lugs which i have placed as a mod, and I am connecting it to another bulb so when it is lit, the other new bulb is lit too. I thought it was just to solder a wire from lug to lug, but then I see that Sega has their own strange .555 bulb base as an IDC connector. Does anyone have tips to how I can piggyback this correctly?

19.jpg19.jpg

26.jpg26.jpg

#2 8 years ago

Just cut into into each wire and make two- three way splices about two inches back from the connector and use wire nuts. Easy peasy

#3 8 years ago

So, pardon y poor paint skills, but like this?

nuts.pngnuts.png

#4 8 years ago

Exactly!

#5 8 years ago

Found this in a store here in Oslo, so will buy these, does the same job it seems

http://www.clasohlson.com/no/no/Wago-222-tilkoblingsklemme/Pr363051000

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Just cut into into each wire and make two- three way splices about two inches back from the connector and use wire nuts. Easy peasy

Actually no that is wrong. The lamp matrix travels through a diode which is absolutely required in order to prevent lights from being lit when they're not supposed to be. The splitting of the wires bypasses the diode, which is inside that white piece of plastic. You need to add the diode to your wiring or you need to come off the diode side of the split.

#7 8 years ago

thanks for the input markmon. So it should work fine if I cut make the split on the "correct" side of the idc connector, will that be the banded side or the other, i should look for in the schematics?

So the other option is to add a diode to the new .555 bulb base lugs? Though id prefer doing the above.

#8 8 years ago

Ih thought it was g.i. My bad

#9 8 years ago

I'm not familiar with those connectors I don't see a diode anywhere, maybe there's a diode board somewhere in the game if there is you're already passed the diode at the connector and what I said will work. Thought it was g.i. not controlled lamps my bad Bud!

#11 8 years ago

I think your best solution is to do what I said but just add a diode onto each of your two new lamps in the correct orientation, if the diode is inside that IDC connector it's going to be harder to open it up and parallel after the diode. Good luck!

#12 8 years ago

Looking at that photo, it looks to me like the diode is in the slot above the yellow wire. If the diode is elsewhere then you can disregard what I said and are totally fine as this would be wired after the diode. The wires chain from one light to the next and there needs to be a diode per insert. So I really think the diode is inside the plastic connector though.

#13 8 years ago

So, if the diode is in the bulb base, i have to make the split on the "correct" side of the idc base, is that right? Worst case, will somethipng blow or just the new bulb stay lit always rather than when it's supposed to?

#14 8 years ago

There is in fact a diode in the bulb socket. So I guess you have to insert the piggyback after the diode. And follow the wires so we are sure that it is in fact the right end. If not, do it with the same kind of diode and a shrink tube.

Axl

#15 8 years ago

Checked the manual (RTFM) and yeah its a built in diode. Is there a way to see which "side" to make the split by looking at this image from the manual?

I see there seems to be a diode and what appears to be the banded side under the illustration, with "4001" on it?

idc_bulb.pngidc_bulb.png

#16 8 years ago

And here is the lamp wiring. It is bulb 24 and 20 which are the badges.

lamp_wiring.pnglamp_wiring.png

#17 8 years ago

Three-way splice into the wires as shown above then put a diode on each of your new lamps put the diode in series with your new red wire and your new lamp base assuming you're hooking up red to red and black to yellow. The banded side of the diode should hook up to your red wire and the black side of the diode should hook up to the new lamp base.

#18 8 years ago

Just got to figure out on which side of the IDC connector base I should make the split. or is that irrelevant if I put diodes on the new bulb bases?

#19 8 years ago

I marked it with colors in this chart. Need to know if I should split on the right side marked in red color (with no relevance to wire colour), or the left side marked in yellow color, of the bulb base.

chart.pngchart.png

#20 8 years ago

It is irrelevant if you put diodes on the new lamp bases in the correct orientation

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from Edenecho:

So, if the diode is in the bulb base, i have to make the split on the "correct" side of the idc base, is that right? Worst case, will somethipng blow or just the new bulb stay lit always rather than when it's supposed to?

Doubtful either of these will be the case. The bulbs you're working with will be fine. Instead, several other random appearing bulbs will be lit as well that shouldn't be in other areas of the game. (It's not really random but it will appear so).

Your option here is to splice the wires and add a diode as suggested or to solder the new wires to the socket instead and use the diode after the wire. Looks like you would use the middle section of be socket and the nonbanded portion of the diode to feed your mods.

Final note: if your mod is a 5v toy, the lamp matrix runs much hotter than that. It uses 6.5v LEDs but it's actually closer to 18v being quickly pulsed.

#22 8 years ago

In parallel without need for additional diode:

474299.png474299.png

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from terryb:

In parallel without need for additional diode:

Dont really see how that would be done in reality, based on my photos of the two "endpoints" in the frist post on this page, terryb?
    I have not much experience with exactly this type of "hacking" hehe, but eager to learn.

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Your option here is to splice the wires and add a diode as suggested

Yeah add a diode to the new base bulbs on the backplate right?

Quoted from markmon:

or to solder the new wires to the socket instead and use the diode after the wire. Looks like you would use the middle section of be socket and the nonbanded portion of the diode to feed your mods.

I dont follow quite what you mean :/

Quoted from markmon:

Final note: if your mod is a 5v toy, the lamp matrix runs much hotter than that. It uses 6.5v LEDs but it's actually closer to 18v being quickly pulsed.

Not a toy, just two .555 bulbs But useful information in general, will keep it in mind.

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from Edenecho:

Dont really see how that would be done in reality, based on my photos of the two "endpoints" in the frist post on this page, terryb?

Not sure what you're asking, but is this what you are trying to do?

I just picked a different lamp since it was easier with my limited artistic ability.

474299-1.gif474299-1.gif

2 months later
    #26 8 years ago

Sorry for slow update, sure took some time to actually try to fix this. spent some hours on saturday, sadly without luck!
    First, in the absence of photos (sorry) i've used my paint skills to draw exactly where I connected wires with the scotchloks, and what I tried on the new bulb. In the drawing are the different connections i tried with the wires, I started with the rightmost. As markmon said would happen if something was wrongly wired; when going through the lamp matrix test (one lamp at a time) different lights turned on when they should not be. So I tried soldering both wires on the banded side of new diode, tried reversing them (just to try), then at last I tried without a diode. That did not work either, always some other lamps starting to blink when they should not.

So, I wonder if you guys have any suggestions as to what i have done wrong? Should I have used scotchlock on the other side of the original badge bulb base?

If needed I can try notice exactly which lamps blink when they shouldnt and when the new bulb is blinking.

connections_(resized).pngconnections_(resized).png

#27 8 years ago

I read a little more around: Could it be that it does not help which side of the IDC socket i connect the new wires to, but that i have to solder the wires IN the socket on the non-banded side of the diode, as the following drawing shows?

like_this_(resized).pnglike_this_(resized).png

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from Edenecho:

I read a little more around: Could it be that it does not help which side of the IDC socket i connect the new wires to, but that i have to solder the wires IN the socket on the non-banded side of the diode, as the following drawing shows?

like_this_(resized).png

This should solve your problem.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

This should solve your problem.

Abd then a diode should not be necessary on the new bulb if doing it like this, is that correct?

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from Edenecho:

Abd then a diode should not be necessary on the new bulb if doing it like this, is that correct?

Right. You already have a diode in the circuit this way.

#31 8 years ago

Oki thanks, I will test it this evening and report back

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from Edenecho:

Maybe I am interpreting this pic wrong, but it looks like you are connecting both wires from the additional lamp to the diodes anode. If so, there is no way this will work, as there is no loop path for current to go to the bulb.

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Maybe I am interpreting this pic wrong, but it looks like you are connecting both wires from the additional lamp to the diodes anode. If so, there is no way this will work, as there is no loop path for current to go to the bulb.

That is correct, that is what I was thinking of.
    Markmon seemed to think this would work, but do you have a suggestion on how to make this in the correct way?
    Running out of options :/

Wolfmarsh made a comment in a similar thread:
    " you either need to attach your wires to the actual socket (after the diode), or add a diode to your new lamp"

What exactly does "socket (after the diode)" mean, I thought maybe that meant on the anode side, cause that is after the diode on the socket.

#34 8 years ago

I misread what you showed. Connect your wires as if they *were* the bulb and you're good to go.

#35 8 years ago

my paint skills arent exactly da vinci, no problem.

Referring to the second picture in the first post, where on the socket do you mean they should be soldered? I did not get the "if they *were* the bulb", sorry.. :/

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from Edenecho:

my paint skills arent exactly da vinci, no problem.
    Referring to the second picture in the first post, where on the socket do you mean they should be soldered? I did not get the "if they *were* the bulb", sorry.. :/

Take a bulb. It has two wires on it. Pretend those wires were your mod wires. Should be pretty simple.

#37 8 years ago

Goggen_Skrueløs_(resized).jpgGoggen_Skrueløs_(resized).jpg

#38 8 years ago

A "normal" bulb socket has two lugs with a diode in between them usually, and a wire soldered to each lug, isnt it so?

Its the IDC variant that I dont manage to "translate" to, since it seems that both wires are on the banded side, and no wire on the black side.....

#39 8 years ago

Here is how I accomplished this on my Stern Pro.

I tapped into the wires that led to the lamp. On the wire that goes from my tap to the bulb I pit a diode on it with the strip facing towards the tap.

Here is a pic of what I'm talking about. You don't need to cut the factory wire. I had in a previous attempt at adding a light so I had to solder it back together (poorly at that apparently).

This was a great thread as it got me looking at my old mod. I've learned a lot since then so I need to go back in and clean that up a bit

IMG_6745_(resized).JPGIMG_6745_(resized).JPG

#40 8 years ago

The diode(s) do not have to "live" on the socket, all that is needed is to make certain the cathode faces the row driver side.

untitled_(resized).JPGuntitled_(resized).JPG

2 weeks later
    #41 8 years ago

So, I finally managed to get this working today! Thanks for the help and input, bearing with me.

It was not perhaps the extreme effect i was imagining, I have a flexible strong white bulb begind the badges, will try with a white LED strip around on the inside behind the badge.

Some pictures and also some videos I uploaded can be found below:

Videos:
    Scully mode:

Ball is drained light show:

xfiles_badge_scotchlok_(resized).jpgxfiles_badge_scotchlok_(resized).jpg

xfiles_scully_badge_lit_(resized).jpgxfiles_scully_badge_lit_(resized).jpg

xfiles_bulb_diode_wiring_(resized).jpgxfiles_bulb_diode_wiring_(resized).jpg

#42 8 years ago

Glad you got it working. I think you aren't real happy with them a those are some of the dimmest flex LED's I've seen. You'll most likely be much happier with some of these:
    http://www.cometpinball.com/product-p/1smdflexng.htm

or even these
    http://www.cometpinball.com/2-SMD-FLEX-Non-Ghosting-p/2smdflexng.htm

Nothing wrong with the ones you have, but I've found that type of light to be really dim compared to the SMD's.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/piggybacking-of-sega-idc-bulb-bases and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.