image.jpg
image-494.jpg
image.jpg
tmp_31665-image341421785.jpeg
tmp_31665-image-1-1149289840.jpeg
image-162.jpg
image.jpg
#1 9 years ago

Can anyone provide me pictures of the LED backbox insert they have installed? I'm building one for my Ironman currently and could use some inspiration on LED placement. I haven't found a layout that really pops in my mind yet.

#2 9 years ago

Wanna build 2 while your at it? Ask this guy for some pics.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fs-huo-imve-4700-york

#3 9 years ago

I'm planning on building a few. I can't justify spending 200 bucks for a piece of cardboard with LEDs glued to it. Once I figure out a layout, it shouldn't take me long to pump out a few.

#4 9 years ago

I posted a couple of treads on how to do this and used Tron and IM as examples: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-make-flashers-or-under-cabinet-lighting-for-15-for-modern-sterns

There are some pictures if IM in there. Happy to take more photos if you need them.

#6 9 years ago

That's exactly the method I'm following. Could you snap a picture of your layout you used for Iron Man? I only saw the layout for TRON. That thread was my inspiration!! Thanks for putting it together.

#7 9 years ago

Just for you

image.jpgimage.jpg image-162.jpgimage-162.jpg
#8 9 years ago

Here's the layout cointaker uses. I like how each one is unique. I was trying to make a few layouts but the led connectors suck so I had to solder the strands together to make them flexible.
tmp_31665-image-1-1149289840.jpegtmp_31665-image-1-1149289840.jpegtmp_31665-image341421785.jpegtmp_31665-image341421785.jpeg

#9 9 years ago

I want one of these so bad

#10 9 years ago

I just glued 4 rows of RGB LEDS and have them on a fade pattern and it looks pretty sweet, but it's almost too much. I realized that you need to actually make a pattern to highlight certain pieces of the art. I took like 2 hours to put it together including soldering the strips together.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

I want one of these so bad

You mean to tell me the Grinder has every mod but this?!? How can this be so

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from ff6735:

You mean to tell me the Grinder has every mod but this?!? How can this be so

Haha! Hey, I'm working on it!

#13 9 years ago

Here is mine. Excessive, but awesome. The white strips are back lighting and the black are tied to the flashers. There is video link in the backbox flasher thread.

image-494.jpgimage-494.jpg
image.jpgimage.jpg

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from lyonsden:

Here is mine. Excessive, but awesome.

#15 9 years ago

Here is a video of a game. Things get cooking for the last minute when Jericho is reached.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I'm planning on building a few. I can't justify spending 200 bucks for a piece of cardboard with LEDs glued to it. Once I figure out a layout, it shouldn't take me long to pump out a few.

I'll buy one.

#17 9 years ago

Ditto or another one like Lyonsden has.

#18 9 years ago

You guys remember when an interactive backbox was just standard in a pinball machine??? I'm a Stern lover, but it drives me nut that they did away with that.

#19 9 years ago

I had one of these in xmle and ripped it out, but the one lyonsden made is awesome. The flasher hook up and positioning is awesome!

#20 9 years ago

And the pulsing arc reactor! too cool... and this coming from a guy who normally doesn't dig on this type of mod.

#21 9 years ago

I'm looking into a more efficient way to build the connectors. I'd like to design a small board that piggybacks on the existing flasher headers. I'm thinking it could have a board with connectors similar to the 40-pin connector on a system 6 game and then a set of header pins for the existing flashers to plug into so it would be a cleaner install.

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I'm looking into a more efficient way to build the connectors. I'd like to design a small board that piggybacks on the existing flasher headers. I'm thinking it could have a board with connectors similar to the 40-pin connector on a system 6 game and then a set of header pins for the existing flashers to plug into so it would be a cleaner install.

Yeah. The harness is a killer when making these. This is what I've come up with as a partial solution. A protoboard that acts as a splitter. One set of plugs is coming from the flashers, then I can split to backbox, cab, under backbox, Arduino, etc.

image.jpgimage.jpg image-353.jpgimage-353.jpg
#23 9 years ago

I would like a board similar to the piggy back boards driving the LEDs. I'm still trying to learn now to use eagle cad.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Dunkirk, MD
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 24.95
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 46.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pictures-of-iron-man-led-backbox-insert-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.