(Topic ID: 170752)

Pictures Needed of Solar City Bonus Stepper Unit (Or a Bonus Unit ...)

By jackblotto

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by jackblotto
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20161013_215144 (resized).jpg
20161013_215144 (resized).jpg
PA110002 (resized).JPG
PA110001 (resized).JPG
MyBonusUnit2 (resized).jpeg
MyBonusUnitPic1 (resized).jpg
DSCN1078 (resized).JPG
DSCN1075 (resized).JPG
DSCN1074 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Hi folks, I am still trying to find the parts for the bonus stepper unit for my Solar City. I know it is the same unit used on a few games (Target Alpha, Canada Dry) and maybe Sure Shot and Bank Shot. I'm missing the Shaft/Gear Assembly and the Wiper Unit, plus probably a few parts to connect it all together. If anybody has and of the parts or an entire unit to sell, please let me know.

I've asked Steve Young and he doesn't have the bonus stepper unit or some of the parts, however he thinks he can fabricate something if needed, but admitted that could be expensive. Part of this exercise to figure out EXACTLY what I'm missing, which is the reason for this post.

I need good pictures of the front/back (maybe it's top/bottom) of the bonus unit. Need to be able to visually figure out what I'm missing. The link below is to my other post and it has a picture from one side but not both. Would like something of that quality at least if possible. Trying to also find a diagram with an exploded parts drawing if anybody has something like that?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/needed-gottlieb-solar-city-wiper-assembly

THANKS, David

#2 7 years ago

Front, from the right.
DSCN1074 (resized).JPGDSCN1074 (resized).JPG

Left side, (blurry)
DSCN1075 (resized).JPGDSCN1075 (resized).JPG

Rear.
DSCN1078 (resized).JPGDSCN1078 (resized).JPG

#3 7 years ago

That works, THANKS.

Now to find the parts ....

#4 7 years ago

If you can post a picture or two showing the non-rivet side of your stepper, we can tell you what parts are missing.

Thanks - TimMe

#5 7 years ago

Here is what mine looks like. Thanks

MyBonusUnitPic1 (resized).jpgMyBonusUnitPic1 (resized).jpg

MyBonusUnit2 (resized).jpegMyBonusUnit2 (resized).jpeg

#6 7 years ago

OK, you need:

- Gear with stop-pin, switch pin, and long shaft to hold the return spring.
- Gear return spring.
- Wiper spider.
- Wiper disc.

Many gears have a tooth filed off at the factory to prevent the gear from going beyond a certain number of steps, so make sure that the gear you get has all the teeth needed for the stepper to go 15 steps.

- TimMe

#7 7 years ago

Thanks TimMe, now to find the parts.

Here are some learning questions for me. Are the gears typically the same size, in diameter, just different numbers of teeth? If there should be 15 steps, should be there be 15 teeth or ?? I've seen where a tooth is not there, filed down like you said I suspect. So if you have a gear that has say 16 teeth and you need 15, can you simply file one down or does that cause a different action in the mechanism?

Regards, David

#8 7 years ago

Pics of a unit somebody has that could work. Anybody want to verify? I can't tell if the shaft/gear is ok. Does it have the right number of teeth? Does it need to only have 15 or ??

Thanks, David

PA110001 (resized).JPGPA110001 (resized).JPG

PA110002 (resized).JPGPA110002 (resized).JPG

#9 7 years ago

im bettin the gear and spring will work?? the disk is different, so you will want to use your bottom disk.
then, the wiper disk is prob different too.
it may work tho, if the top two rows line up??

#10 7 years ago

I agree, it looks like you may be able to make it work. However, it's hard to tell for sure from a couple of photos, so no guarantees.

- TimMe

#11 7 years ago

Here's probably a better wiper I can offer up, just cut off half.

20161013_215144 (resized).jpg20161013_215144 (resized).jpg

20161013_215144 (resized).jpg20161013_215144 (resized).jpg

#12 7 years ago

Trying to find the entire unit if possible now, been told there are as few parts that are specific to the unit which makes it hard for me (the novice) to know whats really missing from just pictures.

#13 7 years ago

The rivet spacing looks further apart on that older unit. Not sure if that makes a difference on the gear but I would imagine it would.

#14 7 years ago

All gears have the same tooth spacing. The only thing you need to worry about is getting a gear with a long shaft for the return spring, and with no filed-off tooth where you need one.

For the wiper disc, you need to be sure the double-wiper set is in the same offset orientation and is on the same set of tracks as the rivets on the board. The wiper in post #11 looks to me like it's correct for the disc in post #5, once you cut off one side.

- TimMe

#15 7 years ago

TimMe, what do you mean "cut off one side"? Thanks

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from jackblotto:

TimMe, what do you mean "cut off one side"? Thanks

Notice how the wiper (brown plastic-looking (it's bakelite) thing that spins) in the provided picture of your unit looks like pinhead52's, but broken on the end. That's factory, as it only needs to utilize half of the unit and disc.

#17 7 years ago

In my 78 parts catalog the gear and shaft is a A16154 used in bank shot,spot pool,sure shot,canada dry,t alpha ,.The disc is B16312 ,and the wiper is a B17378 used in ta,ss,and cd.I don't see these part numbers used on other machines during this period.I would call Steve Young at PR.

#18 7 years ago

Thanks guys. I have already talked to Steve at PBR. He dies not have the gear-shaft or the wiper. Said the wiper could be made, but not sure about the gear-shaft. Told me it would be best to try and find one first, then if not successful, get back with him.

Bummer ..... for now i guess. Suspect somebody with various parts of this era could rebuild what i have to make it work, but that's not in my current skill-set.

R/ David

#19 7 years ago
Quoted from jackblotto:

Thanks guys. I have already talked to Steve at PBR. He dies not have the gear-shaft or the wiper. Said the wiper could be made, but not sure about the gear-shaft. Told me it would be best to try and find one first, then if not successful, get back with him.
Bummer ..... for now i guess. Suspect somebody with various parts of this era could rebuild what i have to make it work, but that's not in my current skill-set.
R/ David

I have the wiper for you... I send you the complete bonus unit if you wish but my gear does have a notch

#20 7 years ago

Hey pinhead52, somebody reached out this weekend who may have the specific bonus unit I need. Will follow-up once i know.

Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pictures-needed-of-solar-city-bonus-stepper-unit-or-a-bonus-unit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.