(Topic ID: 63041)

Picture of a real STERN STAR TREK & REVIEW!!!!

By eXidy

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 280 posts
  • 129 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by SteveP3
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen_Shot_2013-09-16_at_10.53.16_PM..png
image.jpg
The-dude.jpg
th.jpeg
image.jpg
MM_jon.jpg
WashMyEyesWithSoap.jpg
review.jpg
PCV.jpg
StarTrek-Pro-Detail-04.JPG
pf4.jpg
pf3.jpg
pf2.jpg
pf1.jpg
stpro4.jpg
stpro3.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bc_gambit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#134 10 years ago
Quoted from 35mm:

Put my deposit down for an LE, but have to say, little underwhelmed. If there was ever a time for Stern to wow us with an LCD or something groundbreaking, this was it. I won't be putting any more deposits down. Sorry, but i gotta say to Gary Stern..."COME ON MAN!".

Wow, throwing close to 9K at them... way to stick it to the man. I am sure they are hurting

1 week later
#271 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The new Treks have lots of action, but they are not as deep as Insurrection or Nemesis.
Fun, popcorn gobblin films..shrugs.

I was very pleasantly surprised by the first "new" ST film (seemed like it had some heart, not just stupid explosions). Into Darkness was "good enough" for a stupid summer movie, but not much more than that.

If you are satisfied by a bunch of action sequences strung together, then yes Into Darkness does that.

If you want a movie with some consequences to the characters actions and some interesting plot? Nope.

Highlights for me (SPOILERS):
- Remember when Kirk lost command of the Enterpise for an afternoon?
- Enterprise does not fire a single shot in the entire movie if I recall correctly. Not a deal breaker, but considering the "Wrath of Khan" aping it is weird.
- Starfleet communicators can now call from the middle of nowhere in Klingon space to a bar in our solar system. Huh?
- Personal transporter devices that can hop solar systems. Huh? If these exist, just beam a bomb somehwere you want it to go and boom. Movie over.
- nobody tries (apparently) to stop the Vengeance from killing 100,000's(?) of people near the end of the movie... at the very least the Enterprise should have called 911.
- Khan blood cures space herpes.

Lazy writing. It would have been more interesting to me if they did something surprising like:
- Khan's backstory was explored and made a sympathetic charater (e.g. yes he killed people back in the day, but it was to get his people who were being wiped out off the earth to prevent either a genocide of regular humans or his people)
AND then:
- have him join the crew to prove himself... but there would always be a question of trust. Would he betray it?
- have him punch Kirk across the room to enter the warp core to save the ship. With his Khan blood it makes sense he would be more resilient than Kirk. Plus he could more convincingly align the warp core than Kirk does with his wimpy flail kicks

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bc_gambit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/picture-of-a-real-stern-star-trek?tu=bc_gambit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.