(Topic ID: 76329)

Picture Guide to Condition Ratings (Your Input Please!)

By Pafasa

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Astropin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2962.JPG
    IMG_2997.JPG
    IMG_2998.JPG
    IMG_2989.JPG
    114175-i.jpg
    o-BO-DEREK-570.jpg
    DSC04045.JPG
    20140106_215758.jpg
    IMG_3262.JPG
    IMG_3266.JPG
    #1 10 years ago

I know rating pinball machine condition can be somewhat objective and I feel like there can be too much grey area. I think most of us understand that a 10 out of 10 means PERFECT and a 0 out of 10 means VAPORIZED, but I get a little lost in the middle. One man's 7 might be another man's 5 or 8! One man's 5 could mean 6 or 7 to another. I have looked for a picture guide to rating such things as playfields and backglasses but have found nothing. This is what I hope to accomplish with this thread. I will start it off with a few pics of a backglass and give my opinion on the rating of it. It would be great to field some other opinions and explanations.

Please post a pic of something you have and put a rating on it too. Hopefully this won't create a bunch of bickering about the "correct" rating, but rather help us get close to a consensus. As this thread grows, it could become a very useful tool for all pinball owners new and old.

Perfect machines and completely crappy machines should all be included. Over time, lets make this as comprehensive as possible

To help organize the thread a bit, it would be nice to put a heading line such as "BACKGLASS RATING 9 out of 10" or "GENERAL RATING 7 out of 10" if you are posting a new pic and rating.

Any other suggestions to help this along are encouraged!

#2 10 years ago

BACKGLASS RATING 3-4 out of 10

Gottlieb Sweet Hearts. this machine has been in a garage on the farm in Nebraska for many years. The playfield glass had a large section missing and the machine was full of mud wasp nests. Completely filthy and almost a lost cause! Its owner asked me if I could fix it up. It is coming along quite nicely.

Here is the backglass. You can see that the gold paint is almost all flaked off and quite a bit of the title as well. Add in the past attempts at touchups and I give this backglass a rating of 3 to 4 out of 10.

What do you think?

***EDIT***
    I will put future opinions after the pics.

IMG_3262.JPGIMG_3262.JPG
    IMG_3266.JPGIMG_3266.JPG

***EDIT***
    PracticalSteve said "3-4 may be too generous, because the flaking occurs in key areas like the title and key characters I would say 1-2."

***EDIT***
    EM-Pinman said "I think Pafasa's Sweet Hearts Backglass is a 5 rating because a major item for me is can you still read all the Function Lights on the Backglass on your example. Feature Lights being the Ball Count, Game Over, Tilt, Player 1-4, and Misc as if the ink is wiped out on the Backglass the game is hard to track in many areas and affects the overall fun factor in conjunction with the Artwork being an eyesore instead of a thing of beauty."

***EDIT***
    newmantjn said "When it gets below about a 6, who cares? It's pretty well toast."

***EDIT***
    GListOverflow said "I would give the Sweethearts a 4-5... mostly there but what is missing is pretty ugly and it looks like more pieces will fall off if you sneeze while looking at it."

***EDIT***
    Way2Wyrd said "IMHO Sweethearts - 5"

#3 10 years ago

I would be interested to know peoples thoughts on shooter lane condition. Thoughts?20140106_215758.jpg20140106_215758.jpg

#4 10 years ago

3-4 may be too generous, because the flaking occurs in key areas like the title and key characters I would say 1-2.

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rshackxd:

I would be interested to know peoples thoughts on shooter lane condition. Thoughts?

20140106_215758.jpg 121 KB

Awesome! This is exactly what I was hoping for.
    Only looks to be a small amount of wear at the eject area. Is the cliffy covering up any more? If not, I'd say 8.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from practicalsteve:

3-4 may be too generous, because the flaking occurs in key areas like the title and key characters I would say 1-2.

Thanks Steve! I am going to add your comments to my post to keep them in one spot.

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rshackxd:

I would be interested to know peoples thoughts on shooter lane condition.

I for one am sick of the shooter lane BS, if a buyer wants to critique and not buy my machine cause of a shooter lane, then I don't want to sell it to them anyway. It's stupid.

#8 10 years ago

It's even more complicated. A game from the 60's or 70's is naturally going to be most likely in worse condition than a game from the 80s or 90's so while opinions change person to person expected condition changes from era to era and game to game making any rating system overall flawed.

#9 10 years ago

No noticeable wear under cliffy, I kinda thought around an 8 myself but I have never really been sure what people consider "acceptable" wear. (Btw, thats from a fishtales)

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from JoeJet:

It's even more complicated. A game from the 60's or 70's is naturally going to be likely in worse condition than a game from the 80s or 90's so while opinions change person to person expected condition changes from era to era and game to game making any rating system overall flawed.

All the more reason to discuss this case by case. If we all agree that this backglass from 1963 is a 2 then that can become a reference for backglasses from that era. Same goes for a system 11 playfield or a DMD era coindoor, etc.

Your point is well taken and is exactly the reason for this thread. There are too many variables for one rating system to be good across all eras of pinball. Pictures and discussion can help sort this out.

#11 10 years ago

While I like your initiative, I think getting a consistent grading system will be very challenging. I rarely use a numbers rating unless specifically asked because it's so subjective.

Quoted from Pafasa:

I think most of us understand that a 10 out of 10 means PERFECT and a 0 out of 10 means VAPORIZED, but I get a little lost in the middle. One man's 7 might be another man's 5 or 8! One man's 5 could mean 6 or 7 to another.

I think this is exactly right. It's not just getting a consensus it's also a matter of what each individual finds important. As Practicalsteve just pointed out. While the Sweet Hearts glass looks almost presentable the heavy flaking is a big issue to many because it's in the lit areas. To some it may be less bothersome or acceptable if the flaking were in the non-lit areas. And to some anything less than near perfect they may consider unacceptable. One man's mild insert wear may be another's required playfield swap.

#12 10 years ago

I hear you. You know me though. I will keep trying until it has driven me completely crazy! And then I will try a little more. And even after I give in and accept the loss, I keep secretly trying because I know I will eventually win! (and I will WIN)

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pafasa:

BACKGLASS RATING 3-4 out of 10

I think Pafasa's Sweet Hearts Backglass is a 5 rating because a major item for me is can you still read all the Function Lights on the Backglass on your example. Feature Lights being the Ball Count, Game Over, Tilt, Player 1-4, and Misc as if the ink is wiped out on the Backglass the game is hard to track in many areas and affects the overall fun factor in conjunction with the Artwork being an eyesore instead of a thing of beauty.

Now as far as my 1971 Williams Stardust Backglass I would rate it a 4 as it too retains all the Function Lights but has more overall ink loss then your Sweet Hearts.

As a side note I could possible rate a Backglass lower if it say had more ink left then my Stardust Backglass but because I could not read some or all of the Feature Lights, it now affects Gameplay.

Just my 2 cents.

Ken

DSC04045.JPGDSC04045.JPG
    #14 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pafasa:

I hear you. You know me though. I will keep trying until it has driven me completely crazy! And then I will try a little more. And even after I give in and accept the loss, I keep secretly trying because I know I will eventually win! (and I will WIN)

I wish I was that driven.

#15 10 years ago

Hmmmm. I would rate Pafsa's and AlexFs backglasses the same:

Crappy
    Poor
    Needs replaced etc.

When it gets below about a 6, who cares? It's pretty well toast.

These ratings discussions might make more sense in the 7,8,9 area.

#16 10 years ago
    Quoted from bemmett:

I for one am sick of the shooter lane BS, if a buyer wants to critique and not buy my machine cause of a shooter lane, then I don't want to sell it to them anyway. It's stupid.

Never understood this either, it's only the shooter lane, has no relevance to the table or how the game plays.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from newmantjn:

These ratings discussions might make more sense in the 7,8,9 area.

Good point but I would like to see ratings all across the board.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from Garrett:

Never understood this either, it's only the shooter lane, has no relevance to the table or how the game plays.

Supposedly is an indicator of how much play the game has had. Also makes no sense to pay attention to this as compared to the actual condition of the machine as a whole. Who cares if it has 20k or 200k plays if it is in crappy condition?

#19 10 years ago

I think the general difference between an 8 and a 9 often boils down to two types of people. One oversells and one undersells. The 9 guy likes to paint an overly positive picture and may have some smooth talking sales skills to back it up. The 8 guy likes to rate conservatively so expectations are met to a larger audience and hates to worry about disappointed buyers.

#20 10 years ago

Shouldn't some of the backglass discussion include whether it is still functional or totally trashed? At least when you are getting into the <5 ratings? I would think most glass that still indicates "ball in play" and has a legible "tilt" and "game over" as at least a 5.

#21 10 years ago

Wow. I would put Ken's Stardust backglass down around a 2. And the Sweet Hearts would be well below a 4 for me. I guess I have always been more critical of the Backglass since when I started Collecting, reproductions didn't exist. Playfields were fairly easily touched up since no light shines through them. But Backglasses show their damage very prominently. So, as others have suggested, for me, it is more about how many areas allow light to shine through and reveal the damage. Damage in an unlit spot would have far less weight than damage where your eyes tend to go all the time (lit name, Ball In Play, Match lights etc.) Obviously, there is a big difference about a 50's game with light up scoring where the entire Glass is probably an integral part of playing the game. Verses a 70's score reel game with no backglass features other than Ball in Play, Match, Game Over.

As to the Shooter lane, I wouldn't give it a thought in judging a playfield unless it was truely damaged. On an EM, thhe groove sometimes cut in the upper arch is more prominent than a little denting down at the shooter. But I do know a lot of collectors of more contemporary games use Shooter Lane wear to indicate heavy play as someone else has already mentioned.

Like was mentioned, Perhaps it is necessary to have a different set of rating rules for older EM games verses newer SS stuff. I think it may become way too messy to lump the rules set all together.

#22 10 years ago

Words over numbers... description rules

#23 10 years ago
    Quoted from Tanner:

Shouldn't some of the backglass discussion include whether it is still functional or totally trashed? At least when you are getting into the <5 ratings? I would think most glass that still indicates "ball in play" and has a legible "tilt" and "game over" as at least a 5.

Sounds like you and EM-Pinman agree on this point

#24 10 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I think the general difference between an 8 and a 9 often boils down to two types of people. One oversells and one undersells. The 9 guy likes to paint an overly positive picture and may have some smooth talking sales skills to back it up. The 8 guy likes to rate conservatively so expectations are met to a larger audience and hates to worry about disappointed buyers.

I'm the 8 guy. Maybe even 7.5

I want a future buyer to get something better than he expected rather than feeling like I was trying to hide something from him.

#25 10 years ago

o-BO-DEREK-570.jpgo-BO-DEREK-570.jpg

#26 10 years ago

I would give the Sweethearts a 4-5... mostly there but what is missing is pretty ugly and it looks like more pieces will fall off if you sneeze while looking at it.

Stardust is IMO a 2-3, major sections are straight up missing and the rest is pretty cracked. Not much room below that, any more missing and it will be mostly glass.

That shooter lane is an 8, there are a couple of tiny areas where the finish is worn through. 10 would be looks like it has never been played (also mint or like new), 9 would be you can tell it is not straight out of the box but just barely (near mint). But yes I agree that this is one of the most pointless things to care about.

I give Bo Derek a 7 but I'm not a fan of cornrows or skinny thighs.

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

o-BO-DEREK-570.jpg 35 KB

Meh I'd give it a 6

#28 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballgeek:

Meh I'd give it a 6

Oh, sorry - I forgot to check for wear in the shooter lane.

#29 10 years ago

"Seen the new Playboy?"
    "Good?"
    "Bo Derek's Tits!"
    "Alright!"
    "I like sex!"
    "People on ludes should not drive!"

#30 10 years ago

One important factor in grading a backglass is to grade it in 2 different light conditions:

1) bright daylight with power off
    2) darkness with power on

Make sure that you rate (and weight) the backglass in the manner you plan to experience the machine the most...

I have two backglasses that have opposite issues:

1) Grand Lizard with bubbling, looks like a 7 while playing in the dark, and a 4 in the daytime (with all the bubbling which catches all the ambient light in the room)
    2) Barracora looks like a 8 during the daytime, but it's a 4 while playing it, since someone used a rattle can on the backside of it, and that blocks the light coming through.

So it's not that daytime always looks better than nighttime, or vice versa.
    Examine both situations equally when buying a machine.

thanks!
    -mof

#31 10 years ago

IMHO

Sweethearts - 5
    Stardust - 3.5

both acceptable for players games.

The only time i would care about a shooter lane is if i was buying a 10k machine.
    On a players game unless its really torn up who cares

--Jeff

#32 10 years ago

I rate them using a royalty system. Condition is king!

#33 10 years ago

I think someone pointed out some big differences in EM vs. SS. games. I think this thread should be one or the other. Games that are 35-60 years old will have a different standard than more 'modern' games....

#34 10 years ago

Do you think we could keep them in the same thread as long as they are marked EM or SS or DMD etc...?

#35 10 years ago

I am so glad you guys started this thread. Is it okay if you guys rate the condition of my Silverball Mania or do I need to take it to a SS forum?

114175-i.jpg114175-i.jpg
    #36 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

my Silverball Mania

I knew it, I knew it, you do have a SS game. HA!

#37 10 years ago

At least that playfield is well grounded

#38 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Is it okay if you guys rate the condition of my Silverball Mania

I'd say it's almost as nice as that KoD you just picked up,

#39 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

Is it okay if you guys rate the condition of my Silverball Mania

On a scale of 1 to 10, my rating would be -5. Parts missing, playfield wood missing, art work missing.

#40 10 years ago

But I was told by Bob Borden that this is collector quality! -5? How dare he!

#41 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

I am so glad you guys started this thread. Is it okay if you guys rate the condition of my Silverball Mania or do I need to take it to a SS forum?

114175-i.jpg 101 KB

The plastics seem decent! And boy did the Mylar prevent wear!

#42 10 years ago

i'd give the silverball a .5 rating because the apron, flipper bats all look salvageable. You probably could get $50 worth of parts off that thing depending what the backside looks like.

#43 10 years ago

Can this thread be put in the EM forum?

Sweet Hearts backglass - I guess a 4, but would never buy a game with a glass like that.

#44 10 years ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Can this thread be put in the EM forum?
    Sweet Hearts backglass - I guess a 4, but would never buy a game with a glass like that.

I put this in All Pinball thinking that it would get views and opinions from everyone. Maybe this is more fitting an an EM post.

Thoughts?

#45 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pafasa:

I put this in All Pinball thinking that it would get views and opinions from everyone. Maybe this is more fitting an an EM post.
    Thoughts?

Definitely more EM as most SS have translites and clear coated playfields. Different way of rating them so more interested in rating EM's.

#46 10 years ago

Lets do it then. Mods? Can you move this to the EM Hangout please?

Lets get some more examples posted. I'll start.

****BAKCGLASS RATING 6****

IMG_2962.JPGIMG_2962.JPG
    IMG_2989.JPGIMG_2989.JPG

****EDIT****

Garrett said "So for me that Royal Guard glass would be a 4 at best because the flaking is in the lit areas. If the same amount of flaking was in non-lit areas I would say a 6 because touching up non-lit areas is fairly easy and not nearly as noticeable."

#47 10 years ago

Here's another!

****BACKGLASS RATING 9.5!****

I really can't find anything wrong with it but I have no reference to judge if it is faded or not. Little bit of surface rust on the lift channel.

IMG_2997.JPGIMG_2997.JPG
    IMG_2998.JPGIMG_2998.JPG

****EDIT****

Garrett said "The Captain Fantastic would be a 10, even with the rust on the channel area."

#48 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pafasa:

Lets do it then. Mods? Can you move this to the EM Hangout please?
    Lets get some more examples posted. I'll start.
    ****BAKCGLASS RATING 6****

IMG_2970.JPG 47 KB

IMG_2989.JPG 125 KB

I wish it wasn't so subjective, and a scale of 1-10 can be a large swing of subjectivity.

Even verbal ratings of Like New, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor, Very Poor would be subjective.

For me the back glass is what people look at first. It's the advertisement for the game, the artwork is trying to draw you into the game.

So for me that Royal Guard glass would be a 4 at best because the flaking is in the lit areas. If the same amount of flaking was in non-lit areas I would say a 7 because touching up non-lit areas is fairly easy and not nearly as noticeable.

The Captain Fantastic would be a 10, even with the rust on the channel area.

I am very harsh when it comes to the back glass.

I am more lenient on the playfield. I have a Spirit of 76 that has a very good playfield with center kick out wear on the playfield. Other than that it's in extremely good shape. So I would have to say it's an 8.5-9.

The cabinets I'm even less critical about. When I line them up you see little of the cabinet other than the fronts. At this point for an EM the cabinet is the patina you don't disturb unless it's been repainted or wall papered. The cabinet tells a story.

With that said my Spirit of 76 cabinet is a 6-7. But I don't care as my eyes are first drawn to the glass then the playfield.

The condition of the back glass and playfield on this machine would raise the overall rating of the pin, even with the cabinet that's a little rough looking.

But that's just my subjective 2 cents.

#49 10 years ago
    Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

114175-i.jpg 101 KB

Looks like it just needs a little Novus 2.

#50 10 years ago
    Quoted from bemmett:

Here! Here!

Agree 1000%

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/picture-guide-to-condition-ratings-your-input-please and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.