(Topic ID: 88622)

Picture comparison: Comet vs. Ablaze single frosted LED's (plus PBB/CT in white)

By Pac-Fan

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by OLDPINGUY
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cometAblazePbbCT(all).jpg
    CometWWctwwPBBWW.jpg
    coolWhitesClearInserts.jpg
    cometORANGEredPURPLE.jpg
    cometORANGEredPURPLE(alone).jpg
    CometCWgreenWW.jpg
    CometCWgreenWW(alone).jpg
    CometCWctcwPBBCW.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

A friend just acquired a lot of Comet frosted single LEDs (the 38c ones). I have been using Ablaze ones in most switched circuits and PBB/CT double frosted's in the GI/backbox across 4 games. With his purchase I borrowed some and threw them in my backbox alongside the others, with pictures taken in the same frame for good side by side photo comparisons. While I will add my own personal commentary below (as the pictures do show the side throw VERY well, they do not show exact color makeup quite as well), take a look at the pictures and you be the judge as to what may work best for you.

First: The Comet ones are NOT polarized! (YEAH!!) That was a problem with the Ablaze ones in three ways:
    - You had a 50% chance of putting an Ablaze wedge in backwards and needing to rotate it
    - If you had a backwards wired bayonet socket, you'd have to rewire the socket to make it work (rare, but possible)
    - Most importantly: The 60hz flicker in the Ablaze LEDs in GI does NOT exhibit itself in the Comet ones (due to having rectification now). This makes these as stable looking as the ones costing 2-3 times as much (just not as bright as those)

Second: The Comet warm whites come darn close to the yellow-ness of a #44 incandescent. A far cry from the horrible pink/salmon tint the Ablaze warm whites had.

Other details:
    - The Comet cool (Natural) whites are almost identical to the Ablaze. They are slightly blue/silverish
    - The Comet greens are significantly brighter than the Ablaze.
    - The Comet purples are significantly brighter than the Ablaze and give a lavender tint instead of a deep rich (and dark) purple with pink tinge.
    - The Comet orange feels more peach than the Ablaze (** Unfortunately I did not have a frosted Ablaze to compare with to get a perfect comparison).
    - The Comet red is a tad brighter than the Ablaze, but also makes it a tiny tiny bit lighter tint.
    - Sorry, no blue to compare with, will get those on a future order.
    - Just like the Ablaze, I had to file down some solder tips on the Comet bayonets to get them to fit in the very tight/short Williams sockets. One of the Ablaze I actually pushed in one bayonet bump and crumpled the bottom inward, breaking the solder to the wire. I wish all manufacturers could work on lowering the bayonet bumps a little bit to help on these tight sockets.

Again, the pics below do an awesome job of showing the throw patterns of all the bulbs (even better than looking directly at them yourself) but the color tint is skewed a bit, but when comparing "like" colors from all the brands it's a pretty close comparison.

I labeled all cool whites "cool" below, but Comet calls theirs "Natural". Yes, it looks like some of the same warm white ones are different colors depending on the picture (whats next to them). That's why it's hard to get exact pictures based on auto color balancing of the camera.

cometAblazePbbCT(all).jpgcometAblazePbbCT(all).jpg
    (typo-bottom row right one is a warm white CT not cw)--will edit text in pic later
    ----------------------------------------
    CometCWctcwPBBCW.jpgCometCWctcwPBBCW.jpg
    CometWWctwwPBBWW.jpgCometWWctwwPBBWW.jpg
    CometCWgreenWW(alone).jpgCometCWgreenWW(alone).jpg
    CometCWgreenWW.jpgCometCWgreenWW.jpg
    cometORANGEredPURPLE.jpgcometORANGEredPURPLE.jpg
    cometORANGEredPURPLE(alone).jpgcometORANGEredPURPLE(alone).jpg
    coolWhitesClearInserts.jpgcoolWhitesClearInserts.jpg

#2 9 years ago

Good job with the photos. I tried to do a comparison of the Comet retro bulbs and incandescent bulbs, but the differences weren't as obvious in my cell phone pics as they are in yours. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

#3 9 years ago

Thank you! Nice comparison.

#4 9 years ago

Thank you for taking the time to do this,

Please allow me to clarify a few things that may not be apparent.

SMD= Surface Mounted Diode
    LED= Light Emitting Diode

An SMD is an LED
    an LED is not an SMD

SMD vary in size, and light output

SMD, as an average, are twice as bright, and in general twice or more in price.

In this layout, SMD are next to LED to take note.

On color, always hard, but an excellent Job.
    Cool White listed is a blue hue, I cant speak on the photo, but we are not stocking cool, but natural.
    Warms are hard to photo as well.

My sincerest thanks for a fair review.

Art
    cometpinball

.....Non polarized makes these easier to install and brighter.

#5 9 years ago

Thank you Pac-Fan for posting this comparison thread and taking these pictures. I am very pleased with the LEDs from Comet and as a side note, Art is nothing short of a stand up guy to work with. Just do not call him "sir".
    -Kyros

#6 9 years ago

yes sir !

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/picture-comparison-comet-vs-ablaze-single-frosted-leds-plus-pbbct-in-white and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.