P8303322.JPG
P8303320.JPG
P8303319.JPG
P8303318.JPG
P8303316.JPG
P8303315.JPG
P8303314.JPG
#1 9 years ago

This is officially my favorite pf ever made. It is nos, though it has loose inserts, cracks around the inserts, and the print was smeared in a couple places. The shooter lane had some bad plywood in places and was rough. Not a hard job except for the clear, which was not hard, but I did my best work. I did what I felt was exactly enough depth.
I let it cure inbetween sets, and after the last coat, as always I sanded the whole thing down to level the edges of the drilled out stuff. The clear pulls to the edges and you get a ramp. Plus even the worlds best sprayer has orange peal. Its just that you cant tell with the good ones until you hit it with an orbital sander. It is really easy, if you don't know what you are doing to have wavy clear, that dosent really show until you play, or hit it with a sander like I said.

My reference says they only made 211 games of this title. Gottlieb made 10 titles this year!!! Imagine stern making 10 titles in one year, plus 4 other manufactures competing. This is when pinball was so fun. I was in 8th grade, dropping quarters!!!

P8303329.JPGP8303329.JPG P8303312.JPGP8303312.JPG P8303330.JPGP8303330.JPG P8303311.JPGP8303311.JPG P8303314.JPGP8303314.JPG P8303315.JPGP8303315.JPG
#2 9 years ago

this is going to be a long one

P8303316.JPGP8303316.JPG P8303318.JPGP8303318.JPG P8303319.JPGP8303319.JPG P8303320.JPGP8303320.JPG P8303322.JPGP8303322.JPG P8303323.JPGP8303323.JPG
#3 9 years ago

very cool looking playfield

#4 9 years ago

no compound caked on the holes?

P8303324.JPGP8303324.JPG P8303326.JPGP8303326.JPG P8303327.JPGP8303327.JPG P8303328.JPGP8303328.JPG P8303331.JPGP8303331.JPG P8303332.JPGP8303332.JPG P8303336.JPGP8303336.JPG P8303333.JPGP8303333.JPG
#5 9 years ago

There must be some reason why they held back production on this title, and pushed a bunch of others. Great question to ask someone in the know from then.
cheers, kruzman

#6 9 years ago

Well, purely from an artwork standpoint, Gottlieb certainly did the "Alien Poker" concept better than Williams did.

#7 9 years ago

sure did, though I have never played this, gottlieb poker games were always the best in the em era.

#8 9 years ago

Beautiful. Love this game. Glad to see one saved.

#9 9 years ago

BY the way, there is not just one black, I choose between 4 brands depending on who made the pf, but to key line the inserts that are bordered by black you have to have the color/shade right, because the clear magnifies all the flaws! I will quit stroking myself here, its just I am so loving this plank!!

#11 9 years ago

Cool pics thanks for sharing them. Really makes me wish I hadn't passed up on an Asteroid Annie about 10 years ago (the bg was in really bad shape and this was before we had bgresto, CPR etc)

Any chance you can get that playfield scanned for the archives?

#12 9 years ago

Only 211 units were made because it was made from overstock parts. I owned one and loved the art. Even more so in the backglass but the gameplay sucks.

#13 9 years ago

Nice review of the game here

#14 9 years ago

The slow play wouldn't keep me away! That sucker is beautiful!!!

#15 9 years ago

Great time for pinball. I would have been in about the 8th grade to when this title was out to. I spent many hours at the 7-11 drinking slurpees and playing pinball. Great looking PF!

#16 9 years ago

I don't know who that guy is, or why he is so hard for robo cop (its not bad) but my guess is he has very little years in pinball. That's the think about the net. it gives everybody a voice, and in my opinion the people that love to be heard, don't have much interesting to say.
I stopped counting the times he said Robocop at 12 in a few minutes.

some people collect corvairs. some collect pre evolution Harleys. they were not as dependable, or fancy as imports.
My friend has an EM charlies angels. Its not as fast as AFM. dumbass.

#17 9 years ago

One of the most gorgeous PFs indeed, looks fantastic as usual. Would build a game from parts if that was what it took to populate that deck.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from shimoda:

One of the most gorgeous PFs indeed, looks fantastic as usual. Would build a game from parts if that was what it took to populate that deck.

I'd be in for an Annie kit - pf, bg and plastics. The pf parts are standard and there are lots of other Sys1 games that could be used as donors.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from kruzman:

I don't know who that guy is, or why he is so hard for robo cop (its not bad) but my guess is he has very little years in pinball. That's the think about the net. it gives everybody a voice, and in my opinion the people that love to be heard, don't have much interesting to say.
I stopped counting the times he said Robocop at 12 in a few minutes.

Mark is great, and actually knows how to play, unlike his Youtube personally.

Here he reviews Supersonic, because it's super-awesome.

#20 9 years ago

I'd have to say this is by far the best Gottlieb artwork I have ever seen on a pinball. I do agree that it is better than Alien Poker, but AP has some damn nice work itself, but I may be biased since I own it.

#21 9 years ago

Ron your work is very much self- stroke worthy. Maybe Annie can help ya out with that.
Youre amazing dude !
Cheers !

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

» YouTube video

Agreed, Mark cracks me up. He doesn't take himself too seriously and neither should anybody else. He is entertaining

#23 9 years ago

Ron, you are the best, wish you could refinish all of my pins. Asteroid Annie looks awesome, the review is hysterical, they hate it but WTF do they know?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

#24 9 years ago

That playfield is so beautiful !

Thank you for sharing.

LTG : )™

#25 9 years ago

That is now probably the best Asteroid Annie playfield on the planet imho.

Quoted from kruzman:

but I did my best work

Very impressive work kruzman. Thanks for explaining some of the details/issues.

Congrats to iwantansi.

Quoted from nikpinball:

Only 211 units were made because it was made from overstock parts

Further to what nikpinball said: My understanding is that Asteroid Annie was the last System 1 machine, and Gottlieb was trying to use up the rest of the Sys 1 electronic boards and displays. This is also a major reason why it was a single player model (the last single player pin by Gottlieb).

#26 9 years ago

How many hours of work do you think this pf has?

#27 9 years ago

Asteroid Annie is also the only single-player solid state game made by Gottlieb.

Beautiful work Ron!!

#28 9 years ago

That looks so nice. Great job, man.

#29 9 years ago

Wowwww fantastic

#30 9 years ago

Great!!!!! Awesome job on the PF! One of Gordon Morison's last art packages for a Gottlieb game, and my favorite of his work..........I would kill to have an Asteroid Annie backglass, even a repro for the wall....................so beautiful!

#31 9 years ago

Never got to play this game in the arcade and would really love to play one. Beautiful playfield Ron!

#32 9 years ago

This was 2 years after Strange World, and it's clear that Gordon Morrison decided to one-up himself on that theme. That is the most beautiful PF I've ever seen, and with the clear it looks amazing! Really nice work, Ron.

#33 9 years ago

Don't take Mark the reviewer seriously. He doesn't even know when Bally Supersonic was made. It's 1979 not 78. Sheeesh. The disrespect for the anything Classic old school shows whenever he speaks. Robocop...Robocop..Robocop, indeed.

Quoted from vid1900:

» YouTube video

#34 9 years ago

Beautiful work Ron. I love that PF!
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

Nice review of the game here

Your results may vary.

Quoted from DRDAVE:

Don't take Mark the reviewer seriously.

Quoted from DRDAVE:

The disrespect for the anything Classic old school shows whenever he speaks.

Many classic and older pins play slow when you have little to no playfield slope. Setting the leg levelers to jack up the back of the pin helps speed up gameplay, along with having lively pop bumpers and slingshots.

When I brought Annie to TPF and to Hou Acade/Pinball Expo, I saw several people that could get Annie rockin pretty good. Nudging and shaking helps keep the ball in play longer too if you start to get a feel for her.
I agree that it is a bit slow shooting the ball back up to top of playfield above the rollovers, but action can get pretty frenzied when shooting the drop targets and bouncing off the pops.
The extra ball shot is a fairly satisfying shot also.
Annie may not be as addicting as Metallica, but most pins aren't imo, and it's fun to play a few games every so often.

MLV

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from DRDAVE:

Don't take Mark the reviewer seriously. He doesn't even know when Bally Supersonic was made. It's 1979 not 78. Sheeesh. The disrespect for the anything Classic old school shows whenever he speaks. Robocop...Robocop..Robocop, indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZOMfkJGgDqk?autoplay=1&rel=0

#37 9 years ago

Dammit Ron, your shit looks better than anyone else's I have seen. That is one beautiful PF.

#38 9 years ago

Ron, your work looks amazing - cant wait to see it in person

#39 9 years ago

My pants just got a little snug.

#40 9 years ago

Is there any chance you (pr original owner) can get a scan of this playfield so that it could be redrawn and the playfield repro'd?

#41 9 years ago

Nice looking playfield Ron thanks for sharing. I still believe and I know it is confirmed 211; but I have seen alot of these since I have been buying and selling pinball's. I have had a chance to own 2 of them and seen something on the order or 6. That would be 2-3%. uhmmmm... Great looking game.

#42 9 years ago

I think that review is awesome actually. I love all of his reviews. Very dry, and funny.

Your playfield is gorgeous. What amazing creatures. I wish there wasn't a completely incongruous group of playing cards in the middle of the playfield!!?? Just give me more of those crazy forced perspective aliens. Wow.

Great job. Thanks for sharing.

#43 9 years ago

Wow...Wow...Wow. Your work is outstanding. You have every right to be proud.

#44 9 years ago

Amazing. Is it for sale or a commission?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7.50
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pics-of-a-rare-pf and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.