(Topic ID: 122080)

Picking up a LOTR today. What do I need to look at?

By thearcadegeek

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Lermods
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Hey hey,

Picking up my first real pin today! Aside from the obvious inspection of the exterior and playfield, is there anything else I need to do before I leave the seller's house? It is a HUO LOTR described as "perfect".

I'm planning on getting copies of any service records, all paperwork, and the original receipt he has. Should I run any specific diagnostics?

What do you guys do when picking up a new pin?

Thanks!

#2 5 years ago

Have them take off the glass and progress through all the modes while you watch. Check the shire on the left to see if it is beat up. Same with gimli vuk. Check the settings to see if destroy the ring can be set to one ball, newer rom supports that.

Sorry for any errors.. typing on my phone.

#3 5 years ago

So you are the lucky guy who is getting that lotr which showed up on craigslist yesterday? Congrats!

Go through the test modes to make sure all coils and switches are working.

#4 5 years ago

Congrats! I have one, this was my thought process.

Switches, lights and flippers are wear items which I wouldn't care too much about them. However, by running Dr Pinball through the service menu you can see if any are out.

More importantly I would be concerned about cabinet and playfield condition, this is what differentiates the HUOs. As previous poster said, check the areas where Cliffs would covers (Shire, Gimli, Orthanc), all of the playfield plastics for cracks (these can be difficult to find), and wear on the playfield (shooter lane is normally a good indicator of this).

If you buy, first additions should be new balls, Pinbits plastic protectors, and Cliffys. The LOTR owner's thread has a lot of notes about small gameplay issues. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/the-lord-of-the-rings-journey-begins-members-club

Shameless plug, when I bought my LOTR I wrote up a guide on my blog how I moved it to ensure no cabinet damage! http://toddnappi.blogspot.com/2013/08/how-to-properly-transport-pinball.html

#5 5 years ago

Check that Balrogs Flasher inside him is working and that his hit switch is working,the wires running inside him him are known to split apart from the back and fourth movement.The wires are in a black tube behind his back .

#6 5 years ago

Go into the menu and look at the "tech" option. It's the equivalent of the credit dot on b/w games, so will show any switches or coils not functioning. Pretty reliable game, most common issues are fork switches at gimli and shire. Make sure switch up sword ramp works and vuk to potd. Battery corrosion.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 41.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside