(Topic ID: 45660)

Picking up a F-14 tomcat, what to look for?

By Magicmike0

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 78 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Magicmike0
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

Hey guys, I'm driving down the interstate right now so the quicker the suggestions the better. I'm about 10 minutes away from this place. I saw a good deal on a F-14 and jumped On it. Sorry for the typos I'm doing text to speech, so hopefully you can figure out what I'm trying to say. What do I need to look out for when buying a pan.? I'm already know that a couple of the flippers do not work but I figure that's a small fix. Anything else you guys can think of I need to look out for before I purchased this baby?

#2 11 years ago

Playfield inserts being raised.

#3 11 years ago

Thanks to the one guy who responded quick.. HAHAHAH! Well, I went ahead and pick it up. I talked to B_R and he said I'd be crazy to let it go for the price they were asking
Thanks B_R and tamoore.

#4 11 years ago

Here's a link to a quick glimpse of it. I know I don't seem excited but its only because I not the best at flipping pinball games haha. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.
-MMZ

#5 11 years ago

Not bumping,just fig since I started this post I'd continue to ask here. Do you F14 owners take the old mylar off or does it need to stay? Mine is bubbling. I take it is was factory layout sine all the mylar looks to be patterend.

#6 11 years ago

I think thats the million dollar question, (removing mylar)..I have never tried it, so I am a little apprehensive to try it. My F-14's mylar is in good shape so I am considering just polishing it and leaving it. On my Grand Lizard, its bubbled in some spots and lifted on a few edges. If you do a search, I know I ran into a thread where you can inject glue into the bubbles and it appeared guys have had good results. Best of luck with your F-14. I was lucky to find one that had the lights that work on the back box and inserts not raised. As soon as I saw that, I paid full price.

#7 11 years ago

Mine has the lights on top too
everybody has mentioned the raised inserts, B_R asked me too. Whats the deal with the inserts? I can't tell really. It feels smooth except for the raised mylar in spots that pops as the ball rolls across it :/

#8 11 years ago

Dang...I was going to look at that pin during lunch today but they told me that it was already sold. I spoke to them Sunday night but today was the earliest I could go. Let me know how it works out. Would love to play it once you get her all shiny and stuff.

Darin

#9 11 years ago

Sorry bud
If it looks to be to much work for me I may put it back on Craigslist, but I will give you first dibs :-)if I do. It would be a nice flip for somebody who knows what they're doing. I want a good F-14 for sure.I just gotta see what it'd take to get it looking/playing good before I decide what to do.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

If you do a search, I know I ran into a thread where you can inject glue into the bubbles and it appeared guys have had good results.

What threads discuss this? I couldn't find any.

#11 11 years ago

I hope you get it up and running. From talking with the seller I thought it might be out of my league. Getting my 3rd pin delivered on Thursday so what you really did was simply remove out of my life a temptation...thanks!

Seriously, if you get it playing, I would not mind seeing it sometime.

Take care.

Darin

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from Magicmike0:

Sorry bud If it looks to be to much work for me I may put it back on Craigslist, but I will give you first dibs :-)if I do. It would be a nice flip for somebody who knows what they're doing. I want a good F-14 for sure.I just gotta see what it'd take to get it looking/playing good before I decide what to do.

Thanks, but I'm very far from the "somebody who knows what they're doing" lol.

There is a place on Magnolia Ave, (Baxter's I think) who sells and works on pins. I don't know if they are any good or anything else about them. I did go see a few pins they had for sale but was underwhelmed in their quality. I wonder if they could be of help if you get in over your head.

Darin

#13 11 years ago

Make sure the lights function and the plastic light covers are in good shape expensive if not impossible to get original parts.

#14 11 years ago

A fellow pinsider and a case of beer would have that machine working in no time!

#15 11 years ago

Well. Just tried to put in a new diode and coil to see if it would help the left flipper that was sticking. in the process a wire touched some place it shouldnt have because i heard that sweet sound of traveling electric current and it traveled all the way down to the left flipper button And burnt something down there into. At first the top left flipper and the right flippers still worked in test mode but after a couple of flips it all stopped and now the ball ejectors make noise but they won't pop the ball back out. Ugh!!!! Now what?

#16 11 years ago

You best hope you didn't just fry your switch matrix by sending 50v to it. But usually you would see the backbox turn into a smokestack in that event.

#17 11 years ago

I saw smoke at the left flipper switch
Awwww man this sux. Only thing I saw damaged was this...

image.jpgimage.jpg

#18 11 years ago

Looks like you fried a capacitor used to enlongate the 5v switch closure to register lane changes. Which means it looks like you definitely fried something on the CPU board... check the boards in the backbox for any signs of burned components.

#19 11 years ago

I would but I can't get in the dang thing. I have the key but it doesn't turn.
Well. My luck. Thanks for the input.

#20 11 years ago

Drill the lock out, they only cost $3 to replace .

#21 11 years ago

Aha I got it. Somebody before me had the backglass and the speaker board wedged tight and it wouldn't turn. I just pecked and wiggled and it released all the tension between them and the glass dropped enough to where it would turn. Ok.... I'm going in. Wish me luck

#22 11 years ago

So far not seeing anything. Much cleaner than my SOF haha. Any clue which board to concentrate on?

image.jpgimage.jpg

#23 11 years ago

If the CPU board looks fine (biggest one on the bottom) then you may have gotten off lucky. Put the game in switch test and see if playfield switches still register. Press the center coin door button to where it stays down and press the service/test button to enter diagnostics (see the displays). Press the center switch again to lift it and press test until you see the switch edge test.

#24 11 years ago

All I have is a small click for ball popper, Center eject,right eject,and diverters. Not like it used to be a louder pop

#25 11 years ago

Hmmm I never knew how to get to the switch edges. Thanks! What am I looking for when I get there? sorry I'm so new at this.

#26 11 years ago

I was actually talking about a switch test just to see if your playfield switches still work but since you provided that information it looks like you blew a fuse somewhere in the backbox based on my experience. I was working on a system 11b and the flippers got weak all of a sudden. The voltage at the flipper coils dropped from 70v to something like 36v while not under load. Under load it's normally about 50v and it was in the 20v range in my case. Turned out a fuse on the auxiliary power board to the right of the driver board blew as it was a fast acting fuse instead of a slo blo. I can't remember which one it was but that's irrelevant anyway since F-14 is a system 11a game and it only has a preliminary aux driver board. The fuse bank to the right above it is probably the system 11a equivalent of the aux board fuses. Pull the fuses from that bank and test them with a multimeter on continuity/diode test. But because you shorted something the failed one will most likely have a burned appearance.

#27 11 years ago

Cool thanks for all the info I appreciate you bro. I still can't fig out why that dang left flipper goes up once the game is on. Once I go into test mode it drops but as soon as I hit start it goes in upward position. That's what caused all this. Looking for the answer to that. I thought it was the diode because the little wire was in half. I replaced the diode and the coil and soldered it all back and it does the same thing. As I went to undo it the wires touched the wrong place on the diode thingy and ZAP!

#28 11 years ago

Yeah blown fuse for the diverters/ball ejectors or popper as it calls it
Thanks bud. Now for the flippers again!!!!

#29 11 years ago

Also not sure what kind of dude this is I got but its what was in there. Long story short as soon as I push right flipper during gameplay it blew again

#30 11 years ago

Where exactly did the short happen? Was it on one of the flipper lugs or at the flipper button? Do your playfield switches work? The way a flipper is fired is the flipper power ground line hits the flipper relay on the CPU/driver board. This allows the CPU to turn the flippers on and off using a transistor to drive the relay. The actual 50v power hits a connector and arrives at the flipper coils and other high power solenoids such as the vertical up-kickers and this wire is chained as a common across all involved coils. Going back to the flipper ground line, this comes off the driver board and each flipper coil's ground goes to it's respective flipper button leaf switch and this completes the circuit when the switch is pressed. If the flipper goes up as soon as a game is started then this switch is either stuck closed or wired wrong. There is also a stacked switch next to that with an insulating separator. This is the low voltage 5v switch used for lane changes I mentioned and it is ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL that no part of this switch touches any part of the main high voltage switch used to activate the flipper. Post a picture of those switches. Was that capacitor fried when you got it or when the short occurred?

#31 11 years ago

Not sure what Fuse ....not dude. Smartphones are so smart!!!
It calls for 4 am slo blo but this is what was in it. I don't know nothing bout no fuses either. Haha... Ohhhh I'm learning though. Thanks for everybody's help

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#32 11 years ago

Those are fast acting fuses, they will blow anyway but it's obvious that one failed because of that short. I'd say you shorted 2 coil lugs together, not a big deal. Looks like that capacitor is actually on the high voltage side of the switch, maybe it's used to smoothen out the rectified coil voltage I'm not sure, but you would've fried that too. Looks like your CPU board is fine. Do you have your playfield switches? You will need to get some assorted slo blo fuses from Radio Shack or a similar place. See the manual's fuse chart for details.

#33 11 years ago

(Side note I have gotten an adjust failure message since I bought this thing yesterday. From the first time I fired I up.) I forgot to mention that.
Ok back to the short... This wiring here is what I'm not sure of anymore. What goes where? I know the gray wore touched the somewhere causing the problem I have now with none of the flippers working.
First photo is where the wire touched causing short(above flipper assembly I think that's the diode)
Second pic is old diode I replace thinking it was the cause of raised flipper
3rd pic is the only damage I found so far.

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#34 11 years ago

When u say switches? U mean all the scoring spots.... Yeah all is working I think. Bumpers targets and .... I will try to do a video real quick an put it on YouTube.

#35 11 years ago

You are missing the diodes on both of those coils. Did the center wire on the lower left flipper just break off? Also, when you replaced the diode did you install it the correct way? Was the stripe facing the same side as the old diode? Turn the game off and do a resistance test using your meter across various pairs of lugs on both the lower right flipper and upper right flipper coils. I say that broadly because I haven't memorized what lugs are tied with what voltages. 3 or 4 ohms is normal, zero is a dead short. Something is shorted on that right side. Since the capacitor on the left flipper button switch disintegrated due to the short you shouldn't get anything on that side. It looks like the other cap has gotten hot as well... my point is you have several issues and I would look for some experienced help before you do more damage to the game. Send VolunteerPin a Pinside Mail message and see if he can pay a visit to your house and help you.

#36 11 years ago

Here's a vid. What's the batteries for... Memory? Thanks again for all your help.

#37 11 years ago

Yeah I'm done messing...but I am trying to learn

#38 11 years ago

The batteries are used to maintain settings and scores, you need them and this is why you are getting the adjust failure message on startup. By the way I sent you a message, if you can make it down to that arcade in Nashville we can talk and play some games sometime.

#39 11 years ago

That'd be cool man. It's a good drive for me and it'd be nice to make a night out of it at least. Maybe someday once I get all my ducks in a row here. Doing the whole refinance thing. Haha. Why am I getting into pinball, right? Thanks again for all the suggestions and tips. Anybody else want to add feel free to check my video and suggest away.

#40 11 years ago

I found this guide which does a great job explaining the flipper circuits on old (pre-solid state flipper) games:

http://stevekulpa.net/pinball/bally_flipper1.htm

1 week later
#41 11 years ago

Any luck on this? I hope you get this thing up and running. Sorry to hear you've had so much trouble.

#42 11 years ago

Should read this repair guide. Lots of information as to what to look for and do before even powering up a game for the first time. One of those things is to pull ALL the fuses and check them, make sure they are the right values. If someone has overfused for instance, lots of damage can be had. There's a section on how to check all the coils etc.. good stuff.
http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wms11/index1.html

#43 11 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Any luck on this? I hope you get this thing up and running. Sorry to hear you've had so much trouble.

Hey volunteer I actually got it semi
Working. I would like to say 100% but I'm not sure about it. Small problems like, pop bumper not allowing ball release gates to open.(possibly ordered wrong cap for it but it said Williams) I got the flippers all going. It doesn't seem as smooth as my swords of fury, I am pretty sure all that old Mylar is causing issues but it could be that too of the ole raised inserts tale. I dunno. The ball hangs up here and tere too. Haha today it got hung up in the middle of the lower right slingshot because I don't have the plastic but I mean hey I'm happy with the minor issues from what I started with. I need a plunger kit and a lock bar still. I took it apart and cleaned the playfield best I could and waxed it even though its 75% Mylar. I got new pinballs and rubber rings coming this week. About 95 % of the lights are working and I LED'd the main arrow inserts. It looks pretty awesome so far. I hope I can tweak it all. It almost seems kinda to strong up top because that ball hit the glass a few times... Hehe. I will try and do a video real quick showing my progress. I owe a lot of thanks to pinside members helping. Especially Crash! I stayed up one night all night til 7am(that was the Night of the disassembling and putting back together after cleaning) then I stayed up another night rebuilding flippers and replacing coils til 4am.

#44 11 years ago

Make sure you have the correct coils in the upper flippers. Too strong and you can damage your targets and plastics. Here is a Williams coil strength chart:

FL-11753 Yellow - Used with short flippers and close shots
FL-11722 Green - Used for close shots near drop targets
FL-11630 Red - The standard, most commonly used coil
FL-15411 Orange - Used for long playfield shots
FL-11629 Blue - Used for long shots and high ramps

#45 11 years ago

Great to hear it. I want to play it sometime once you get all your bugs figured out

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Make sure you have the correct coils in the upper flippers. Too strong and you can damage your targets and plastics. Here is a Williams coil strength chart:
FL-11753 Yellow - Used with short flippers and close shots
FL-11722 Green - Used for close shots near drop targets
FL-11630 Red - The standard, most commonly used coil
FL-15411 Orange - Used for long playfield shots
FL-11629 Blue - Used for long shots and high ramps

Yeah I made sure before I ordered them from pinball life. it may be that they aren't lined up properly but they seem to be in line. I guess I'm just not used to them be fully functional haha.

#48 11 years ago

Oh and sorry bout the video cutting off ....phone memory

#49 11 years ago

Looks like you need the same slingshot plastic I am looking for....

After rebuilding the flippers, could you tell a big difference?

#50 11 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

Looks like you need the same slingshot plastic I am looking for....
After rebuilding the flippers, could you tell a big difference?

Well, to begin with they weren't working so I can't compare them. The bottom right was , but they do seem pretty snappy. My SOF machine on the other hand, I can tell a huuuuge difference after the rebuild.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/picking-up-a-f-14-tomcat-what-to-look-for and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.