• Dialed In 45 votes
    54%
  • Hobbit 11 votes
    13%
  • Other 16 votes
    19%

(84 votes)

#1 5 years ago

Yea I know another help me pick my game thread. If these bore you then move on...

I've been thinking Star Trek premium for some time now. Kind of open minded, maybe DI? I want a newer pin, nothing 90s or older. No more music pins, already have a MET.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Yea I know another help me pick my game thread. If these bore you then move on...
I've been thinking Star Trek premium for some time now. Kind of open minded, maybe DI? I want a newer pin, nothing 90s or older. No more music pins, already have a MET.

ST Premium is a great game.....TWD is better even! I know you dont want another music pin but holy shiii is IMDN great!

#3 5 years ago

Of the three games listed I would pick Dialed In. Really fun game that I wish I had a chance to play more of, unfortunately I cant find one local to play.

#4 5 years ago

With ST pro is fine LOTR TSPP SM all good games

#5 5 years ago

Out of the three games in the poll i would pick DI.

#7 5 years ago

DI is a blast!

#8 5 years ago

Of listed Dialed in pretty easily

#9 5 years ago

DI easily. Not really even a competition with these 3

#10 5 years ago

Long ball times on DI?

#11 5 years ago

I love love love my star trek but would pick dialed in if i had the scratch

#12 5 years ago

Other. Iron Man. Maybe Houdini.

#13 5 years ago

Long ball times on DI?

Mixed bag. DI can be frustrating if you can't 'dial in' on the mode hole shot. For the most part it reminds me of Addams family and Whirlwind had a baby.

#14 5 years ago

Long ball times on DI?

If you don't want long ball times, you need to look at early SS, or TNA

TWD would fit the bill too.

Side note: I feel like I'm really sounding line a broken record at this point with the early SS and TNA posts.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

If you don't want long ball times, you need to look at early SS, or TNA
TWD would fit the bill too.
Side note: I feel like I'm really sounding line a broken record at this point with the early SS and TNA posts.

Or Iron Man.

#16 5 years ago

Long ball times on DI?

not really. I find it tough but every so often you get a good game and get to explore.

I would describe it as variable. It is like Congo to me in that I could have a bunch of short games and then a few mid length, and then an occasional killer one that lasts 20 min.

#17 5 years ago

Long ball times on DI?

Yeah it isn't endless or anything...but you might want to be asking that question aboot Hobbit instead.

#18 5 years ago

How many Star Trek Premiums do you see for sale?
Not many

How many used Hobbit's do you see for sale?
TONS

I rarely see a Used Dialed In for sale used.

I've played each of these games and would probably recommend Dialed In if you had to have one of these.

If not move on to Iron Maiden, Mars attacks or my favorite Star Wars Premium

#19 5 years ago

The fact that you listed this thread in JJP and not in all could tilt the vote heavily tord DI

#20 5 years ago

The new code updates to the Hobbit really change the game - that is the #1 game I wish I had not sold. But it's 50/50, people either love it or hate it. And they say "code can not make a game better" but that is demonstrably not true. Pick up a used one for 5 or 6K before people find out there's been this massive update. Or just get DI.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

The fact that you listed this thread in JJP and not in all could tilt the vote heavily tord DI

Possible if anyone browses by areas and not just new posts.

#22 5 years ago

You have some great options there. I own a Dialed In LE and a Hobbit LE and there two of the best pins I've ever owned. The latest Hobbit code update puts the game on a new level, very impressive stuff. JJP has done an an incredible (industry best in my opinion) job of supporting code for their games. Ted Estes has mentioned that yet another code update is coming for Dialed In too.

I would say that the Hobbit with its latest code is now the most immersive and deepest pin ever made. I own a WOZ as well and while getting to SOTR is likely more difficult to reach then There and Back Again I find The Hobbit to be the more immersive game thanks to the newest code. You can still find used HUO Hobbits in the $6500-$7200 range but I think the game will be going up in value due to the massive update that was just dropped for it.

#23 5 years ago

I've been saving up for a Star Trek Premium for awhile now. I've owned a ST Pro and sold it, regretted it since.

I've been thinking about a Hobbit for the last year also. Hard to pull the trigger on it, mixed bag of great code and questionable layout.

#24 5 years ago

I vote Dialed In and Hobbit. Hobbit has been gaining in popularity especially since the recent update.

As always. It is an investment. Play any you are considering, a lot if you can. Then you decide. You are the one that will be playing it.

LTG : )

#25 5 years ago

I've been saving up for a Star Trek Premium for awhile now. I've owned a ST Pro and sold it, regretted it since.
I've been thinking about a Hobbit for the last year also. Hard to pull the trigger on it, mixed bag of great code and questionable layout.

You do have a pic of the TNG Enterprise as your avatar pic which makes me think you are a big Star Trek fan? If that is your preferred theme I would go with that one, especially since you regretted selling your ST pro.

#26 5 years ago

Long ball times on DI?

My average ball time on DI is 90 seconds a ball. Not super quick, but not long either.

I highly recommend DI out of the three you're considering.

Good luck with your decision.

#27 5 years ago

I love all three but I gotta go with Dialed In! It's becoming my favorite Lawlor game!

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

You do have a pic of the TNG Enterprise as your avatar pic which makes me think you are a big Star Trek fan? If that is your preferred theme I would go with that one, especially since you regretted selling your ST pro.

Yes huge fan. I had a great huo sttng but I found it boring to play so I sold it. I like fast pins.

#29 5 years ago

Personally, I'd recommend buying HUO. In Canada, it's a savings of about $800 to $1,000. Not sure in the States. I've bought all my Sterns, except one, HUO and been really happy.

If you are set on NIB, DI is awesome. I love my Star Trek Pro. I feel it's fully featured enough and don't need the minor things added with Premium or Limited. Both do look great, though.

I didn't vote, because I cann't choose between ST and DI. I love my ST Pro. If it was a choice between it and DI, I'd take the ST Pro as it is so much cheaper and a really great game. Between the Premium and DI, it's a tougher choice.

#30 5 years ago

Yes huge fan. I had a great huo sttng but I found it boring to play so I sold it. I like fast pins.

If you like fast pins; ST PREM is right up your alley. But if you're considering a new premium or a dialed in for that matter, you may want to seek out an STLE. It'll hold value better than a PREM; and it's one of sterns best LE packages especially for a ST fan. Add in color dmd and you'll be set.

Now to play devils advocate. Dialed In is another great choice with similar flow and layout. Aside from the ST warp ramp, the shots on dialed In all feel better. You're trading a stellar theme in ST for a game with better tech, code, rules, and shots (aside from the warp ramp which is one of the best shots in pinball). So pick your poison; theme + warp ramp vs technology, integration, and code. As for ball times, these 2 pins are near identical in ball times - both can be quick and brutal but both need a good 15+ minute game to get deep. Dialed In gets more interesting the longer you play. All in all I vote Dialed In because of its code and tech package. But I love both.

EDIT: more Devils advocate. Like me, you have a small lineup, do you want to get a game you already owned and played,or go for something new and different? It's hard to have a 'keeper' pin when you don't have unlimited funds and space. So getting a new game and learning it is more than half the fun of owning a pin.

#31 5 years ago

Take the Hobbit off your list right now then

#33 5 years ago

I'd remove ST now. You had it already. You will get tired of it again. Hobbit and DI are great. New Hobbit code has put new life into the game, and don't let people tell you it's slow. It starts off slow (just like the movies,), and then goes nuts later on. It's an adventure and will provide much variety opposite your Metallica. DI is apparently an instant classic (haven't played it) and that says a lot, but again you need to play these games if possible to really decide. I voted Hobbit because our family loves the theme, we love the simple rules, the beautiful Machine itself, and it's fun to progress through. I'm sure DI is awesome and would be a great choice to.

#34 5 years ago

What are the differences between Dialed In standard and LE? I know the LE has invisiglass and the purple. Anything else?

#36 5 years ago

I would vote no on ST as well.

No doubt a great game but move on try something different. You might consider SM it's a great pin.

#37 5 years ago

For the record - I have played the Hobbit and Dialed In on location many times. It's difficult to decide when my budget is limited. Hobbit is the tough one, it plays slower than Star Trek and doesn't get my adrenaline going as much. The Hobbit is a work of art to look at and awesome code, just can't decide if long term I would get so tired of it I'll want to sell.

#38 5 years ago

Looks like the lighted ramps would be the other major difference.

#39 5 years ago

I’ve got Dialed In and The Hobbit. We love them. Also have Star Trek pro, it’s lots of fun. I’d definitely recommend getting a JJP pin. Hobbit may be the nicest looking pin I’ve ever seen. Dialed in may be one of the best playing pins, theme is it’s only negative. No matter what pin you pick, you shouldn’t have any trouble trading or selling after you’ve had fun.

#40 5 years ago

Of the games I have listed I’d say WOZ should be an option... personally much better than hobbit

#41 5 years ago

Buy smart and you shouldn't lose money on a machine. The going rate for a HUO Hobbit is around 6500 right now. A HUO DILE is going for around 8000. Buy right and you should be able to sell it for what you paid for it. If you end up not liking one or the other, sell it and get the next. I know you have a limit of 2 pins at any given time, so it's fine to switch out often. Dont do this with NIB machines though as you'll take a +1k hit most of the time if you want to sell. Buy a nice used pin, and if it's not for you, sell it. Whatever you go with, you'll enjoy it at least for a while. Deciding on what to get next shouldn't be stressful.

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

Buy smart and you shouldn't lose money on a machine. The going rate for a HUO Hobbit is around 6500 right now. A HUO DILE is going for around 8000. Buy right and you should be able to sell it for what you paid for it. If you end up not liking one or the other, sell it and get the next. I know you have a limit of 2 pins at any given time, so it's fine to switch out often. Dont do this with NIB machines though as you'll take a +1k hit most of the time if you want to sell. Buy a nice used pin, and if it's not for you, sell it. Whatever you go with, you'll enjoy it at least for a while. Deciding on what to get next shouldn't be stressful.

Yea I'm not planning on buying new. I'll just have to be very patient since none of the 3 are available near me HUO right now.

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Tord?

I think you mean TURD. As in, stop being a turd by trolling JJP forums.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 6,595.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Hilton Head Island, SC
$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

7,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salinas, CA
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/picking-a-new-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.