Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 37 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by RawleyD
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

STTNG-LED.JPG
    IMG_4799.jpg
    IMG_4796.jpg
    IMG_4794.jpg
    IMG_4793.jpg
    IMG_4792.jpg
    #1 12 years ago

Finally found my first pin last night, picked it up today after work. It's a STTNG and I got it from a local collector. It's in really nice condition and very clean. I'm very happy with it. Since i'm a pin noob, the seller was really cool about it. He spent about 2 hours with me going through the game inside and out explaining how everything works, what typically can go wrong with a STTNG, and just playing the game and showing me the modes. Hopefully I wont suck at it for too long!

IMG_4792.jpgIMG_4792.jpg IMG_4793.jpgIMG_4793.jpg IMG_4794.jpgIMG_4794.jpg IMG_4796.jpgIMG_4796.jpg IMG_4799.jpgIMG_4799.jpg

#2 12 years ago

Congrats! Great feeling to bring that first game home. You'll have more soon

Looks like a fine example.

#4 12 years ago

Sure, just start out with a top 10 game. Make us all jealous...congrats!

#5 12 years ago

Awesome game! Welcome to the club. They're just like rabbits, before you know it you'll have a room full. Remember, "there's always room for one more".

Steve

#6 12 years ago

Well I almost started with a few different project pins and to be honest, i'm very glad that I didn't. This machine went above my original budget but it's all worth it. When I told my wife last night that it was going to cost me $500 more than my original budget, she told me "Happy Birthday". It's only a month early but i'm stoked, so its just an awesome Bday gift =)

#7 12 years ago

Excellent game looks to be in great shape, your gonna love it especially if you like the show. It is a blast to play, really cool when you can get the balls to come out of the borg ship, I always have trouble hitting the delta ramp! Beware one pinball machine turns into two, two turns into four, well you get the idea! Have fun!

#8 12 years ago

Looks like a nice example of a fun game - and certainly a great one for a first.

#9 12 years ago

Yeah i'm really digging all the objectives. I really didn't want something that was going to bore me. I'm having trouble hitting the Delta ramp also jsandjs. My 4 year old was stoked too. I got home with it right as she was going to bed. First thing she asked when she saw me was if she can play my new pinball tomorrow. Hehe she doesn't even know what pinball is but she is going to learn tomorrow =)

#10 12 years ago

Nice game. Love the wire ramp launch.

#11 12 years ago

Congrats on your first pin, Star Trek is a fun one. The guy you got it from really is representative of the pinball community in my experience. Since I began buying/trading pins I have met some of the nicest people around...it's amazing how those who know what they are doing are so eager to help those of us who don't. Welcome to the addiction...er...hobby!

#12 12 years ago

Wow, nice start. Definitely one of my faves!

Don't know how far from Chicago you are, but I think they do Trek conventions there once in awhile. Sometime the Next Gen cast are on the signing circuit. Just something to consider... a Picard signed translite would be kinda cool.

#13 12 years ago

Nice game

#14 12 years ago
    Quoted from jitneystand1:

The guy you got it from really is representative of the pinball community in my experience. Since I began buying/trading pins I have met some of the nicest people around...it's amazing how those who know what they are doing are so eager to help those of us who aren't.

He was the first local guy that I have met face to face but I communicated with a bunch of others through email and have seen the same attitude. Most have been super nice and want to help.

#15 12 years ago

Great pin,I miss mine.

#16 12 years ago

STTNG is a great machine. Glad to hear you had a good experience in buying it. Delta ramp is a toughie but its all timing. I love this game and cant get enough... Thank You Mr. Data

#17 12 years ago

Great machine. Add some LEDs to that bad boy. This game really benefits from them.

STTNG-LED.JPGSTTNG-LED.JPG

#18 12 years ago

Great find! Welcome to the world of pinball

#19 12 years ago

Congratulations on your very first machine! looks amazing! always good to buy from collectors.

#20 12 years ago

Sweet...and congrats! I still have not played that Pin but I look forward to doing so soon...I hope.

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from Silverballer:

Delta ramp is a toughie but its all timing.

It's weird. Some days I am totally off and can't hit the Delta ramp to save my life, while other times I can't miss. The key is to flip right when it's at the very end of the flipper. I was at Warp 9.7 last night when the ball rolled partially up the ramp and then shot down the right outlane. That's pretty frustrating to say the least.

#22 12 years ago

Nice! And nice first pin! Just got this a few weeks ago and its kicking my butt. phrmtek and his bro came over last week and took me to school on it. Congrats!

#23 12 years ago

Wow! Looks cool! That's on my want list! great 1st pin!
    JohnnyPhatsaqs your LEDs look cool in that STTNG!
    Meph: I just put some LEDs in my SMB:MW (my 1st) I'd say try it!

#24 12 years ago

Very well played. Congrats the pin it looks great!! Don't worry about stinking at the start just enjoy the darn thing and watch your pinball skills go up and up.

#25 12 years ago

I just did my own personally picked out LEDs in Congo, its like a totally new game. I really enjoy the darned thing. MEPH.....niiiiiiice!

#26 12 years ago

Johnny, you don't find them too blinding? Which did you replace with LEDs or did you do it all?

#27 12 years ago

Congrats, nice looking game.

#28 12 years ago

All my pins get LEDs in the backglass. It will really take the orange glow off and it makes the colors really crisp. I'm not as much of a fan for inserts or GI, but to each his own with the LEDs. You should totally do some experiments.

#29 12 years ago

For a dark game like STTNG I think some LEDs in GI are almost necessary. Just not a lot of light illuminating the playfield in that one.

#30 12 years ago

How overpriced are LED kits on ebay? This was the one I saw on there right now. Seems really high to me.

ebay.com link: Star Trek Next Generation Pinball LED KIT

#31 12 years ago

Looks like I have a hit on my hands. Just brought it home last night and I haven't even gotten to touch it yet today but my Wife is out in the garage right now playing it by herself. Score! =) I smell more pins in the near future.

#32 12 years ago
    Quoted from Meph:

Wife is out in the garage right now playing it by herself. Score! =) I smell more pins in the near future.

Very encouraging sign indeed!!!!!

Quoted from Meph:

How overpriced are LED kits on ebay?

I would not buy a kit off ebay. I would pick out type and color you want and make an order from Cointaker or Pinball Life. You don't need to go all out right off the bat try to change out a few you think it will look good then go from there. You really just need to know the type of bulb you want and select the type & Color LED you want.

#33 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

You don't need to go all out right off the bat try to change out a few you think it will look good then go from there.

Great advice. On some machines, switching all the lights to LED is overkill and it is blinding and looks stupid (this is especially true with EMs). Other games look amazing with LEDs as if they were meant to be there the whole time. For sure, be strategic and do a few at a time.

#34 12 years ago
    Quoted from Meph:

Johnny, you don't find them too blinding? Which did you replace with LEDs or did you do it all?

So far, I've just done the insert and controlled lamps. The pic makes it look a lot more blind than it actually is. It just pops. Looks great, and is never distracting.

I am still trying to decide a neat, creative way to light up that upper left corner.

#35 12 years ago
    Quoted from Meph:

... my Wife is out in the garage right now playing it by herself. Score! =) I smell more pins in the near future.

Nice! Get your wife addicted, and you are on easy street my friend!

#36 12 years ago

I went out to the garage to play a little while ago and she followed me out for about 5 or 6 games. Standing on the concrete was hurting her feet/back so I need to find a nice rubber pad to put down. Can't have sore feet ruining my good fortune!

#37 12 years ago

I played a Star Trek this weekend that had nice LED's in it, looked great. You will love it!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/picked-up-my-first-pin-tonight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.