It's been an exciting 24 hours for me! Won this Gottlieb Royal Flush in an online arcade auction last night in my home town and got to pick up the machine today. Me and my buddy managed to move it the 2 miles from the auction house to my house with just taking the head unit off and we got it down the stairs without issue on my lunch break today.
I paid $950 + 18% auction fee + tax = $1,188 , so not the best deal I am sure, but I checked out all the machines in the auction and this was the one that really caught my eye.
I've had Williams Pat Hand growing up and my dad still has it and I love that game, I can play for hours, so I'm hoping for the same for this one.
This certainly won't be a showroom quality machine but I took some 99% isopropyl alcohol and cleaned the gas and that already made a huge difference. I'm back at the office, so I have time to type and post this, but I only managed to get one photo of it after we got it set-up. It's attached.
Some items I've noticed so far that I will need to resolve / improve right off the bat:
1. The lower right rear leg bolt is stripped and needs to be replaced. This missing (it's in there and I got a nut on the end since it isn't catching the threaded insert, but the nut barely threads on, so it's not tight) bolt is causing a lot of looseness in the feel of the machine, so I need to get that resolved ASAP.
2. I need to figure out how to properly level this thing, but I'm sure there's plenty of support for that around this website and more.
3. There seems to be a little dust on the playfield and it could probably use some wax. I will research how to clean and wax it properly, but I'm assuming that a can of air might be a good place to start for clearing some dust?
4. It is currently set in 3-ball mode and I want it in 5 ball mode. Also, I think the rules are something non-standard, because the big circular bouncer thing at the top is worth 1000 points and that seems way too high to me. So I'll have to read all the manuals and stuff about that.
5. I think because my floors are a little spongy (basement, so vinyl plank on concrete), the tilt needs to be turned down a lot. I managed to set it off a few times in the few games I played in the basement.
6. The score on Player 4 isn't working properly, the 10,000 reel isn't turning over after 9,990 and I think it is because the 0X,000 reel is not in the correct position to make the 10,000 reel roll, if you can see in the photo, the 0X,000 reel is sitting back about an inch further than the other reels on the board.
7. It's missing the metal back cover right now, but the auction people have tons at the other shop, so I am going to get one next week.
8. It would be prettier with a lock and key, but not a dealbreaker for me. It does have all the manuals and schematics and extra balls and fuses inside
So, that's it so far, back at the office now and itching to go home and play it. My dad is pretty handy with those older EM machines, so tomorrow morning he is going to come over and we are going to tackle fixing the leg with a new bolt and maybe a nut, switching it to 5-ball and changing the scoring, wiping off and maybe lightly blowing the playfield, cleaning the underside of the glass, fixing the tilt and the reels, and leveling.
Really excited to have this machine! I will get some much more detailed pics tomorrow AM when the glass is off and share them. I'll also have plenty of more questions after we go over the machine tomorrow morning. Thanks for reading guys.