Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Bandit78
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Playfield (resized).jpg
    Backglass (resized).jpg
    CF Total (resized).jpg
    Schematic Meme (resized).jpg
    164052120_10218949806483764_2226730548516592333_n (resized).jpg
    162541920_10218949816084004_9218050927450966401_n (resized).jpg
    Stars 1 (resized).jpg
    Stars (resized).jpg
    IMG_9324001 (resized).jpg
    Back Box EM (resized).jpg
    Main Cab EM 2 (resized).jpg
    Main Cab EM 1 (resized).jpg
    Main Cab EM (resized).jpg
    Playfield EM (resized).jpg
    Lower Playfield Cleaned (resized).jpg
    Coin Door (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

I committed to buying a project Capt Fantastic Pin sight unseen other than a couple pictures and made the 10 hr. round trip drive today to get it. Other than a missing playfield glass and lock bar the machine is complete. It's very dirty or has very heavy patina, not sure which at this point. The main cabinet and back box have matching SN (16982) and game counter reads 89,301.

Back story is dad bought it new and 45 years later son is selling it. Dad passed in 1981 and Pin has been setting in its current state for 25 years. Pin was located in a business kind of place that from the looks of everything hasn't been a business in a very long time. There were lots of coin entertainment items like juke boxes, dart boards, arcades etc. all of which were complete broken junk. The place reminded me of a hoarder nest type location. Safe to assume that dad was in the coin entertainment business and after he passed the family didn't fair to good in running it.

Other than the above missing items the Pin is as it was delivered from the factory, no hacks and everything looks Bally original. Currently powers up and has playfield and back box lights but nothing else. I dropped a quarter in the right coin drop and it landed in the coin return. I dropped a quarter in the left coin drop and it didn't fall through or hit the coin return. This is all the testing I did for today.

The playfield is very dirty from setting in a warehouse uncovered with no glass for 25 plus years. However there is very little to no missing color and very little wear. The white you see above the "Elton John" is a piece of plastic and dark spot at top is grease. I did a test cleaning using GP cleaner and a rag behind the lower right hand flipper and was surprised how clean it came.

I know everyone likes pictures

Translight (resized).jpgTranslight (resized).jpgCF CAB Side (resized).jpgCF CAB Side (resized).jpgCoin Door (resized).jpgCoin Door (resized).jpgPlayfield (resized).jpgPlayfield (resized).jpgLower Playfield Cleaned (resized).jpgLower Playfield Cleaned (resized).jpg
    #2 2 years ago

Here are picture of the E-M components. Equally surprised how clean this stuff is for 45 years old.

Playfield EM (resized).jpgPlayfield EM (resized).jpgMain Cab EM (resized).jpgMain Cab EM (resized).jpgMain Cab EM 1 (resized).jpgMain Cab EM 1 (resized).jpgMain Cab EM 2 (resized).jpgMain Cab EM 2 (resized).jpg

Back Box EM (resized).jpgBack Box EM (resized).jpg
    #3 2 years ago

Looks like a good example. I think it will clean up nicely!

I would be up half the night working on it!

#4 2 years ago

I’ve seen much worse! Agree that’ll clean up nice!

#5 2 years ago

Sometimes, you will find that a layer of dirt and grime ends up sort of protecting the playfield paint underneath and it cleans up nicely.

#6 2 years ago

I think you’ll be in good shape with this one. Great pickup!

#7 2 years ago

I think this lockdown bar should be the correct one for the game

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-18240

I just restored this game, spent $1600 on buying/ccoating and installing a pf, lucky that you can avoid this costly piece!

And I see your bg has no stars, supposedly there were only 155 that were made/released this way then the prudes in the company forces stars to be added.

And another pinsider with bad timing (I do not want to publicly shame him here) suggests the "no stars" games had an alternate paint job... Anybody else aware of this feature?

Although Ive seen way too many games without stars to validate that only 155 were made without stars...

Ken

IMG_9324001 (resized).jpgIMG_9324001 (resized).jpg
    #8 2 years ago

Ken

Based on the above picture I have the Red that indicate the X-rated version but have stars on my back glass. Who knows really, I have read several topics on this and its all subjective or so it would seem.

Stars (resized).jpgStars (resized).jpgStars 1 (resized).jpgStars 1 (resized).jpg
    #9 2 years ago

Trap the ball then shoot. That’s how I played pinball as a kid. Captain fantastic wasn’t a game I liked for an obvious reason.

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Trap the ball then shoot. That’s how I played pinball as a kid. Captain fantastic wasn’t a game I liked for an obvious reason.

You should send a pic or 2 to Jay at ipdb to get the alternate cab art captured. shoot us a side pic here please.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinhead52:

You should send a pic or 2 to Jay at ipdb to get the alternate cab art captured. shoot us a side pic here please.

Not sure where you’re going, I was suggesting left flipper arrangement.

#12 2 years ago

Did some more light cleaning on the playfield today and it's going to clean up nicely and a good coat of wax will make it pop. The after cleaning patina that remains will just make the game more nostalgic IMO.

Still not able to get a game started so I will jump over to the EM Tech section for some help on that.

What I really need is a paper schematic, the pdf version I'm using is too hard to read on the computer and beside I'm jumping from the office to the garage trying to use that. Will dumpster dive the internet today and see if I can find one.

Next up is at shopping trip at Marco's to get everything I need for shopping this out (lights, rubber, glass, lockbar etc.). Also want to put locks back on the coin door and back box.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from F-14Pin:

Did some more light cleaning on the playfield today and it's going to clean up nicely and a good coat of wax will make it pop. The after cleaning patina that remains will just make the game more nostalgic IMO.
    Still not able to get a game started so I will jump over to the EM Tech section for some help on that.
    What I really need is a paper schematic, the pdf version I'm using is too hard to read on the computer and beside I'm jumping from the office to the garage trying to use that. Will dumpster dive the internet today and see if I can find one.
    Next up is at shopping trip at Marco's to get everything I need for shopping this out (lights, rubber, glass, lockbar etc.). Also want to put locks back on the coin door and back box.

$16.50 spent with pbr for a paper copy is well worth it...

Yea, there are ~5, 6 or 7 NC contacts in series with the start button to drive the coin relay... One of them is the limit switch on the coin/player unit on the bottom board, when it hits 4 players it opens to stop adding. Another is on the credit wheel for obvious reasons and another on the reset relay, ie if its resetting you cant add a player. Cant remember the fourth... actually the coin switches have a NC contact in the path as well, cant add a player when coining up. it also goes through the coin door jones plug, another source of open. So depending on how many chutes you have 1 2 or 3 the start path daisy-chains thru those coin switches. Needless to say I just recently fired one up as well.

#14 2 years ago

Congratulations on the new machine!

I will definitely be following so please keep us up to date on your progress. I just picked up a Captain Fantastic last week. EM will be a learning experience for me so I will enjoy watching your exploits!

Good luck and enjoy!

#15 2 years ago

Picked up a Capt Fantastic a couple of months ago. The score motor would not stop, so I tried to troubleshoot it myself. As this is my first EM, of course now there is a list of things wrong with it. Taking it down to New Orleans on Saturday to have a professional do it...lesson learned. It looks great though, I didn't mess that part up.
    [

162541920_10218949816084004_9218050927450966401_n (resized).jpg162541920_10218949816084004_9218050927450966401_n (resized).jpg

164052120_10218949806483764_2226730548516592333_n (resized).jpg164052120_10218949806483764_2226730548516592333_n (resized).jpg

#16 2 years ago

Bandit very nice looking CF Pin. I'm currently in the troubleshooting mode on mine and learning as I go. It's been a one step forward two steps back process.

#17 2 years ago

This is me today

Schematic Meme (resized).jpgSchematic Meme (resized).jpg
    #18 2 years ago

Id suggest reading this guide first. http://www.pinrepair.com/em/
    It is a lot to digest, but will save you time and frustration in the long run.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from bonzo71:

Id suggest reading this guide first. http://www.pinrepair.com/em/
    It is a lot to digest, but will save you time and frustration in the long run.

Yes I have read that 305 page, 66,767 word document a couple times now. Lot to digest for sure, along with that I have the manual and schematic so it's just of matter of me getting my brain wrapped around all this. I have already corrected a couple things so I will just keep plowing the field until I have all the bugs worked out.

1 week later
    #20 2 years ago

Wanted to shoot an update out on this CF project I took on 2 weeks ago. While not as nice as the one Bandit78 owns it did clean up to the point of being presentable and will find a home next to my F-14 Tomcat Pin. As stated above it spent half its life in a retail environment and the last half in a warehouse.

Every function of the game now works, big thank you to the Pinside guys who kept me pointed in the right troubleshooting direction.

Blackglass - The backglass is in like new condition on both sides.

Playfield - The art work is in pretty good condition considering the amount of use, all the inserts have noticeable cupping and affect some of the ball play but not too bad.

Cabinet - Other than being 45 years old its in great condition.

EM - All EM components are day 1 original and overall has very little corrosion.

Overall being that the Pin is very original the patina all matches so it has that end to end vintage look. Other than painting the legs tomorrow and installing new leveling feet I'm calling this done. Anything further from a restoration standpoint would require a end to end type restoration and that is not a road I'm headed down.

Purchase price, gas and normal consumables for bringing this back from the dead has me at $850 so not bad considering I guess. Here are a few pictures, not the best quality but I'm working on that too.

Dennis

CF Total (resized).jpgCF Total (resized).jpgBackglass (resized).jpgBackglass (resized).jpgPlayfield (resized).jpgPlayfield (resized).jpg
    #21 2 years ago

This is one of the few EMs that looks better with white LEDs, really helps the Red, White, and Blue pop.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/picked-up-capt-fantastic-pin-today and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.