IMG_4350_(resized).JPG
IMG_4344_(resized).JPG
IMG_4339_(resized).JPG
IMG_4337_(resized).JPG
IMG_4338_(resized).JPG
IMG_4336_(resized).JPG
IMG_4281.JPG
IMG_4282.JPG
There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

At first glance I was not sure what I got my self into. However I have wanted an embryon so I took a gamble and brought this home today.
After looking it over for a while I noted the positives:

Found 11 cents inside.
Its all working and playable with a drop target bank switch issue.
All the fuses are the correct value. Thats a first for me!
The bottom side of the playfied is really clean! I was actually shocked how nice the underside looked after seeing the top side.
The playfield mylar was found safely stored rolled up inside the lower cabinet so it is still mint NOS!
It came with the manual. I count that as a plus.

The bad so far seems like typical things for a machine that looks to have been left untouched for many years.
Rubbers are all fossilized and most actually just break apart so they are easy to remove.
Needs a new plastic set. Most are still good some are bad may as well go with a new set.
Pop caps all went straight in the trash.

IMG_3388.jpgIMG_3388.jpg
IMG_3380.jpgIMG_3380.jpg
IMG_3382.jpgIMG_3382.jpg
IMG_3389.jpgIMG_3389.jpg
IMG_3390.jpgIMG_3390.jpg
IMG_3391.jpgIMG_3391.jpg
IMG_3392.jpgIMG_3392.jpg

Anyone have any idea what the 2 wood blocks were for? I assume they were shipping blocks of some kind

IMG_3399.JPGIMG_3399.JPG
IMG_3401.JPGIMG_3401.JPG
Some bookkeeping info written in the manual from 1982
IMG_3402.JPGIMG_3402.JPG

#2 8 years ago

The playfield does have some bad wear by the upper drop targets but after some cleaning for a little while I got the lower playfield looking a bit better. The playfield will not be perfect and I am ok with that. Im not doing a playfield restoration just going to clean it up as best I can to make it look nice and enjoy playing it.

IMG_3396.JPGIMG_3396.JPG
IMG_3397.JPGIMG_3397.JPG
IMG_3398.JPGIMG_3398.JPG

#3 8 years ago

Your game certainly earned some money for the operator! Still a nice Bally pin to buy.

#4 8 years ago

Nice pickup! We love our Embryon. Yours should clean up very nicely!

#5 8 years ago

Just got one as well. I find it to be an excellent game. Congrats on the find and bring it back to life.

#6 8 years ago

Very nice! Embryon doesn't have the most complicated rules, but is a blast to play! Yours looks a little better than average, too, so congrats!

#7 8 years ago

Love my embryon. Such a cool looking game

#8 8 years ago

Was interested in that same machine. Hope you get it back in good playing condition. Embryon is one cool early SS.

#9 8 years ago

I took a gamble on it in my opinion but after a bit of cleaning I'm happy with how it will turn out. Not sure how quickly ill get to posting update on it though.

#10 8 years ago

It actually looks pretty decent.

#11 8 years ago

Even some extra plastics i see?!?

#12 8 years ago

No extra plastics, I started stripping the playfield. I have 2 broken ones though. I would like to just replace the bad ones rather than buy a whole new set but I don't know how easy it will be to find used ones.

#13 8 years ago

Did a bit more cleaning today lots more to do yet. I don't think I am going to do much more than just a good cleaning.
Some before and after
IMG_3417.JPGIMG_3417.JPG
IMG_3424.JPGIMG_3424.JPG
IMG_3419.JPGIMG_3419.JPG
IMG_3422.JPGIMG_3422.JPG

Is there any use for a NOS mylar?
IMG_3425.JPGIMG_3425.JPG

#14 8 years ago

What did you use to clean ? Looks nice.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from 20eyes:

No extra plastics, I started stripping the playfield. I have 2 broken ones though. I would like to just replace the bad ones rather than buy a whole new set but I don't know how easy it will be to find used ones.

PM me the ones you need; I might be able to help you.

#17 8 years ago

I think it looks decent as well. Always sad when you have some clean wood areas. I guess we have yet another one that would like CPR to make a pf repro for this game .

#18 8 years ago

I just used simple green and a bit of novus 2 to clean the playfield. I still have to wax it yet. I'm working on getting some parts orders together for several projects in the meantime while I clean.
Thanks to swampfire I am getting the 2 plastics that I need to replace. The other plastics are good/ok for the most part, I can live with them.
I am ok with the playfield as it is, however I would most likely pick up a repro playfield if they were ever made.

#19 8 years ago

I cleaned all the drop targets yesterday. They look good to me being original.
I debated on buying the ultrasonic cleaner A while back but I'm glad I did.
IMG_3446.JPGIMG_3446.JPG
IMG_3447.JPGIMG_3447.JPG

Some reassembly today. I ran out of bulbs so this is as far as I got.
IMG_3443.JPGIMG_3443.JPG
IMG_3444.JPGIMG_3444.JPG

#20 8 years ago

That things pretty nice. Wouldn't take much too restore it.

#21 8 years ago

Looks like it is coming together very well! Excellent work.

#22 8 years ago

Lookin' better and better with every pic! Nice work.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

PM me the ones you need; I might be able to help you.

I have a few extras as well. cc me on that mail...

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

I have a few extras as well. cc me on that mail...

I appreciate the reply, but I was able to get the 2 plastics that I need from swampfire. I'm trying not to go overboard on this project for now its way too easy to spend a ton of money. I figure I can always buy a plastic set in the future if it really bothers me.

The plastic on the right is actually a new repro plastic! Thanks swampfire!
IMG_3448.JPGIMG_3448.JPG

#25 8 years ago

Got some stuff in the mail yesterday from Pinball Resource. I already have a list of the things I forgot in this order for other projects.
IMG_3451[1].JPGIMG_3451[1].JPG

#26 8 years ago

First off, I love this game and you sure are bringing it back to life

From the before photo with the duct tape on the pop-bumper... First thing that came to mind was the Red Green Show. Anyone else remember that show? I think you would have to grow up in the mid-west up north someplace to know what I am talking about?

red-green-show.jpgred-green-show.jpg

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from Jean-Luc-Picard:

First off, I love this game and you sure are bringing it back to life
From the before photo with the duct tape on the pop-bumper... First thing that came to mind was the Red Green Show. Anyone else remember that show? I think you would have to grow up in the mid-west up north someplace to know what I am talking about?
red-green-show.jpg

Hell no, Red Green rocks!!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

#28 8 years ago

Did some work today. I decided to go with regular bulbs for now, I will get around to LEDs in the future when I feel like blowing more money. I have some of the boards out of the machine so a lot of the bulbs aren't lighting in the pictures. I know I pictured the alltek board but that was more of an as long and i'm ordering thing...

BTW I have always liked Red Green. No idea what you mean by upper midwest at least not related geographically to when I happen to live.

IMG_3462.JPGIMG_3462.JPG
IMG_3465.JPGIMG_3465.JPG
IMG_3464.JPGIMG_3464.JPG

#29 8 years ago

I finally found the source of the runaway scoring problem this machine had.
Coin up the game and constant scoring until you drop the left 3 target bank. Switch test said switch 28 was closed which it was not. I changed the diode and still closed. I changed the cap no more closed switch and no more runaway scoring.

#30 8 years ago

Probably a good policy just to change out all of the switch caps on those old Bally's, along with re-pinning all of the connectors.

#31 8 years ago

I'm on my way to doing that at this point. For now its mostly working through the issues to a functional state. I'm working on a fireball classic at the same time as this so its a lot of double duty with switches and connectors.

#32 8 years ago

Great game.
Embryon was my first pin 5 years ago - picked it up for $300 non-working. Had no clue how to fix & then stumbled across Clay's repair site. What a treasure trove of repair goodness!. Had it fixed (bad rectifier, acid damage, etc) in a couple of weeks.
Still have it, still love it. It's never leaving.

#33 8 years ago

Very nice find! Typical PF wear but it looks good despite its age. What about the cabinet? Hows the BG? My PF is fully restored and clearcoated by HSA. New CPR plastics, and got the stencils for the cab which my buddy who has a car paint booth will be repainting for me. Something about this game that when you see it, you are just awestruck by the graphic detail, colors, and sounds.

#34 8 years ago

The cabinet is good overall. Have to be careful cleaning the cabinet though. That silver paint comes off super easy!
Some before and after of the front of the cabinet. I still have to fill the credit button hole I may just leave it...
IMG_3377.jpgIMG_3377.jpg
IMG_3468.jpgIMG_3468.jpg

Back glass is in really great shape.
IMG_3508.JPGIMG_3508.JPG
IMG_3509.JPGIMG_3509.JPG

#35 8 years ago

The more you post, the more I want one of these.

#36 8 years ago

You have the same nice purple version of the backglass as I do. Add some purple LEDs to it to enhance it!

IMG_3552.jpgIMG_3552.jpg

#37 8 years ago

Rob, I like the purple enhancement. I am going to do that to mine. Sweet game. Embryon is not leaving my collection. I have a Blue / Purple backglass and an NOS glass that has less blue / purple. Keeping both because I like each one in its own way.

#38 8 years ago

After five years it's time to re-rubber & deep clean the playfield on mine again. I think I am going to go with the new Titan silicone rings. Maybe order a set of traditional white & a set of translucent.
https://www.titanpinball.com/index.php

Also thinking about going with the seven digit score displays -
http://www.xpinpinball.com/shop/catalog/7volution

#39 8 years ago

I've got it functional now. The saucer was not kicking the ball, bad transistor. The flashers were not working alltek lamp driver fixed that. I put a few leds under the playfield but not all the under playfield lights are installed since i'm nearly out of 555 bulbs.
Next update, not sure when, will be with leds installed.

2 weeks later
#40 8 years ago

I tried the comfort bright frosted bulbs from Comet. Warm white in the back box, natural white in the GI, frosted blue in the lane guides pops and inserts.
I like the warm white in the back box but it doesn't look right with the natural white in the GI. It just looks off. Not sure...

IMG_3677.JPGIMG_3677.JPG

IMG_3680.JPGIMG_3680.JPG

#41 8 years ago

Ahhh I think I'm at the pinball hall of fame with that GI

#42 8 years ago

Is Embryon a good candidate for Teal Flipper Buttons? However with your Purple-ish popbumper caps... maybe a purple set?
Regardless nice work so far.

#43 8 years ago

Pop bumper caps are supposed to look blue, however they look purple in the picture. I am going to get some ice blue leds and try them. The blue looks good but too dark for my liking.
I'm thinking lighted blue flippers sometime in the future.
Trying to finish other projects for now. I'm happy with it so far, i'll get back around to doing more in the future.

4 months later
#44 8 years ago

Doing a bit more work on this lately. Thinking about bringing this to MGC so I ought to get all the bugs worked out.
I changed to cool white comfort bright in the backbox I think it looks better than the warm white. The backglass just looks odd with the purple colors maybe the blue backglass would look more normal.

IMG_4282.JPGIMG_4282.JPG
IMG_4281.JPGIMG_4281.JPG

#45 8 years ago

Cool whites all the way!

#46 8 years ago

Atleast fix that woodwear i saw on one of the pics, if you are only doing a clean-up.

Looked nasty!

#48 8 years ago

Also thinking about going with the seven digit score displays -
http://www.xpinpinball.com/shop/catalog/7volution

Dang! Those 7 digit displays are awesome! My parents have one in their basement I keep trying to convince them to give me that works 100%, but needs a lot of cleaning. I got a high score of 1.4MM when I was a kid and was so disappointed that it didn't save the score after I rolled it that I didn't really play it anymore after that haha

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Atleast fix that woodwear i saw on one of the pics, if you are only doing a clean-up.
Looked nasty!

I'm not doing a restoration on this. Fixing it would involve clearcoating the playfield. Maybe one day but not right now, maybe i'll hold out for a CPR playfield

#50 8 years ago
Quoted from 20eyes:

Maybe one day but not right now, maybe i'll hold out for a CPR playfield

I would not count on CPR making a play field for this game out of the 2250 that were made and the lesser amount that have survived over the years it would be a very low production playfield and thus low revenue for them is my guess.

I bought the CPR plastics from them and I can tell you that they are very good looking. The artist who did that was very meticulous reproducing the originals.

Machine looks great!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
$ 199.95
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 7.50
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

There are 64 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/picked-up-an-embryon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.