Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

gr1.jpg
afm1.jpg
afm2.jpg
Oh_Hell_!!.gif
IMG_1023.JPG
IMG_1025.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ssathre.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

Just got done with a long day of driving. This morning I drove down to Omaha to pick up a CFTBL for dvandentop. At any rate, I had such a bad case of Pin Envy that I turned around and drove another 6 hours round trip and picked up an AFM for myself. About 20 miles from home freezing rain hit so by the time we got home everything was encased in ice. trying to back in the driveway resulted in the truck doing a 180! We almost went over the retaining wall and into the neighbors yard. I will wait until tomorrow to unload, setup and play. So this leaves me with two pins encased in plastic wrap sitting in my shop that I CANT PLAY!

Here is my AFM

IMG_1025.JPGIMG_1025.JPG

Here is dvandentops CFTBL

IMG_1023.JPGIMG_1023.JPG

#3 12 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Congrats on the AFM!!! Please tell me you didn't pick it up in my backyard. LOL

Thanks, Jar! Well, not from your back yard exactly...

#5 12 years ago
Quoted from BLACK_ROSE:

Congrats ,, Did you ever get a Healthy check from Coinopshippers to cover the Damage to JD ?
I Lost Track of the Topic....

Funny you brought that up. Received an email from Jeff while I was on the road, Freightwire and Coinopshippers are going to work together to get me a settlement. Should know a dollar amount in the next few days. I'll give a complete update in the thread I had started when it's a done deal.

#8 12 years ago
Quoted from dvandentop:

need to have a Sioux pin crew pin expo sometime! LOL
congrats i know how much you were wanting to get that in the collection!

Thanks, D. AFM has been calling to me in my sleep for several months now... seriously, CALLING.

#15 12 years ago

Thanks guys. can't wait to get it set up tomorrow.

From my bedroom, it's 30 feet away out in the shop and all I can hear when I close my eyes is "This just in: reports are coming in from all over the World, the Earth is under attack, an attack from Mars!"

I'm never going to get to sleep.

#27 12 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer22:

Nice looking AFM you got there Enjoy, it is my favorite game

Thanks, Justin. I appreciate you helping me out with this, sorry to have interrupted your dinner.

#29 12 years ago
Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

Congrats!!! AFM rules!! I searched for mine for a few years...and finally got ahold of one (coming up on a year ago) in Feb. I had a PF touched up and cleared and waiting for it...(I had decided that I was gonna get all the pieces and build my own if I didn't find one soon!) but then after I finally got it, I couldn't bring myself to tear it down and do the PF swap I was too busy playin'!! I finally broke down (when I got a SM to keep me busy while it was torn down!) and tore into it, and got it all swapped out over the Christmas break...now she is up and running and pimped out with all kinds of custom mods That I either did myself or purchased for it!)! She is never leaving my collection!!
Phoebe

Great story. Yours along with everyones else's confirmations of how well loved this game is, helps with the "Sting" of looking at my back account balance this morning!

Quoted from McCune:

Right on Steve , you will have a ton of fun with that one for sure .. Talk about road trip huh..
Jim

Thanks, Jim. Ya.. to say the least lol. something about driving the same stretch of interstate twice in the same day made it seem that much longer!

Quoted from Rum-Z:

I don't want to de-rail the thread, but...
I was just thinking about the simplicity of AFM, and how much most people really enjoy it. It only has 2 flippers, a couple of ramps (3 if you count the rear center that joins the right ramp and wireform), 3 pop bumpers and basically 2 rather simple toys - the mother ship on a spring with a coil to shake it (with the drop target bank below), and 4 martians on coils with wiggly arms that jump around at certain points. It's also got a pretty wide open playfield with medium to long shots that makes for some awesome multiball action. Plus, it's got the super well integrated B movie theme of Martians attacking the Earth.
It seems like someone could make a new yet simple pin that was just good old fashioned uncomplicated fun, based around this simple design where you were battling zombies instead. Instead of getting all expensive and limited edition with all sorts of extra stuff. Nothing seems to beat a super well integrated theme, good rules, and some simple toys.
Then again, if someone did this, maybe everyone would think it was too much like AFM and MM and complain it wasn't original enough, LOL.
Oh well, it's fun food for thought.

Back in the day, in another life, we used to have a saying, "Less is more". I think this is a perfect example.

Quoted from mojozone:

I want to come to that! I was born and raised in Spencer, which is near Sioux Falls and Sioux City and Sioux Center, is that close enough?

That's pretty close to Sioux county... we might be able to swing an honorary membership! But you have to pass an initiation first and either go on a pin expedition with us, or come here and buy my WCS that I'm shopping out! Gotta help finance the AFM!

#30 12 years ago
Quoted from tatman9999:

Nice pick up. Great pin.

Thanks, Tat. hopefully I get it looking half as nice as yours!

#36 12 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

AFM is simply the best pin ever made. Congrats. Just swapped a new playfield in mine not too long ago, fast as hell.

I got a new playfield with the deal as well! Can't wait to get it in there.

#42 12 years ago

Got AFM moved into the gameroom this afternoon. It had some flipper issues, so I threw a rebuild kit and some new coils in. Other than that it needs a target replaced, some bulbs replaced and a really good cleaning. Once the new playfield is here and I do the swap, I'll bling it out... there is a set of mirror blades just waiting to get installed!

Here are some pics.

afm2.jpgafm2.jpg afm1.jpgafm1.jpg gr1.jpggr1.jpg

#45 12 years ago
Quoted from dvandentop:

nice looks right at home there!

poor judge dredd is keeping your creetch company out in the shop but at least i have the game room back.

#50 12 years ago
Quoted from jarjarisgod:

Heh heh! Well played sir! Glad you got it all setup, so you can now start to enjoy your new pin. AFM is a fine addition to any collection!

Spent the evening cleaning and changing bulbs... this thing had the dirtiest inserts, bulbs and boards out of any pin I have ever worked on. it's amazing that any light was coming through at all. changed all the GI to warm white retros and now I can actually see what's going on! just played a few games on it and had a grin from ear to ear the entire time. easily the funest game in the collection right now.

#51 12 years ago
Quoted from dvandentop:

they need some love so go play em all!!

I told Jean she had to play TZ for a while and she said, "No way you play it, I'm playing the martian one!". I think we are going to be playing doubles on this for a while.

#57 12 years ago

This AFM still has the 1.1 ROM installed. I tried burning the 1.3 version from IPDB three times and each one didn't boot. I burned a ROM from Planetary Pinball and it worked fine. Do you guys know if the PinMame ROM's on IPDB work for real pins or not?

#60 12 years ago

Installed a Flipper fidelity kit tonight. WOW, the bass is incredible! Stevie Likey

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 21.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Van Alstyne, TX
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ssathre.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/picked-up-an-afm-tonight?tu=ssathre and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.