• 51 posts
  • 26 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Jared
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

• Meteor Stern Electronics, 1979

Topic Gallery

There have been 16 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image-442.jpg
image-400.jpg
image-820.jpg
image-376.jpg
image-881.jpg
image-466.jpg
image-660.jpg
image-462.jpg
image-796.jpg
image-711.jpg
image-175.jpg
image-838.jpg
image-921.jpg
image-200.jpg
image-956.jpg
image-868.jpg

There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

So I got a phone call, and a guy in the country had a stern meteor and wanted me to come and get it. I paid a little for it... Just a little.

image-868.jpg

Get the game setup, look at it the first time. It was already loaded head down when I picked it up. It's nice.

image-175.jpgimage-838.jpgimage-921.jpgimage-200.jpgimage-956.jpg

There was some shopping and work to do, so I got some new parts.

image-660.jpgimage-466.jpgimage-796.jpgimage-711.jpgimage-462.jpg

The new sub is amazing with these sounds.

The old speaker was nasty!!

image-400.jpgimage-376.jpgimage-881.jpgimage-820.jpg

Still more to come.

#2 6 years ago

Cleaned up nice!

#3 6 years ago

Congratulations, it looks very nice!

#4 6 years ago

I don't know how to come across deals like this, but you're very lucky. Congrats! Nice classic Stern.

#5 6 years ago

A pinside member already shipped me my one broken plastic! It arrived today after these pics were taken.image-442.jpg

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from FuturePrimitive:

I don't know how to come across deals like this, but you're very lucky. Congrats! Nice classic Stern.

I will tell you the secret.

Facebook. It's all about facebook.

I am a avid user... a rabid user. I could bore you with the facts... but I actually get paid to do it for a living. Its a long story.

Anyways, my approach has been pretty simple... not only to get deals on pinball... but also to help me in many other ways.

1. Have as many friends as possible.
2. Have as many followers as possible.
3. Post everything on 100% open, public privacy settings.
4. Make it very well known that you love pinball and collect machines.
5. Become "the pinball and arcade guy" on all of your friends list.

We forget sometimes... we are like... 1 in 50,000. Most people dont play, forgot about, and have no interest in pinball anymore. Its sad... so sad.

Anyways, when friend x sees a pinball machines in their:
-Friend
-Family Member
-Church Buddy's
-Friend of a Friends
--House
--Warehouse
--Garage
--Business
--Barn

They say to themselves:

"Hey, that Jared dude is always posting about pinball machines on facebook, I think I will message him about this thing". Message comes in... deal is made.. presto... pinball machines.

I have had extremely good luck with this. Exposure is key. There are more pinball machines out there than any of us would think... sitting... waiting...

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

"Hey, that Jared dude is always posting about pinball machines on facebook, I think I will message him about this thing". Message comes in... deal is made.. presto... pinball machines

thats how i got my donkey kong pulled it out of some guys front yard for free and the fishtales i got for free.

#8 6 years ago

Is that a wasp nest started on the old speaker?

Actual barn find, nice snag!

#9 6 years ago

Cleaned up nice. I would like to pickup a Meteor someday to try out.

#10 6 years ago

New speakers make a HUGE different in the Stern MPU-200 games. Meteor is a great one, congrats on the find!

#11 6 years ago

Rock and roll! that game looks excellent now!

#12 6 years ago

nice score!
for a machine that was in a barn it looks good.

#13 6 years ago

What kind of barns do you have? If it was from a barn by me it would have an inch of dust on top of a coating of rust on top of a mouse nest...that almost looked clean enough to eat off of!

Actually you did a nice job, that looks like it cleaned up fantastically, congrats!

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

1. Have as many friends as possible.
2. Have as many followers as possible.
3. Post everything on 100% open, public privacy settings.
4. Make it very well known that you love pinball and collect machines.
5. Become "the pinball and arcade guy" on all of your friends list.

You left out "kickstart everything you possibly can".

#15 6 years ago

what is the new speaker you put in? I have a couple of old sterns that could use an upgrade on that.

#16 6 years ago

Wow, you're a lucky man. !

Looking for a Meteor , or Flight 2000 and nothing to get. just found a "hot hand"

Is it a hudge difference with this new loudspeaker ?

#17 6 years ago

Good score! Looks great already! I'd be curious what speaker you got too.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from lb45:

Is it a hudge difference with this new loudspeaker ?

Old games sound great with upgraded woofers/subs. Those old sine/square wave non-sampled sounds that are generated are great like that. Should hear Space Shuttle hooked up to a high-end theatre subwoofer..it's awesome.

#19 6 years ago

Thought to change all my devices on my classic stern but i bought a bad size

Do you have a reference for these loudspeakers, for example on Amazon.com ?
(Easy for me to translate to amazon.fr.. )

#20 6 years ago

Congrats on the find. It's in great shape for actually being in a barn, paper wasp nest and all!

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from lb45:

Thought to change all my devices on my classic stern but i bought a bad size
Do you have a reference for these loudspeakers, for example on Amazon.com ?
(Easy for me to translate to amazon.fr.. )

Pretty much any 6" 8 ohm speaker will work. Marco has them for $15:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5555-13961-00

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

You left out "kickstart everything you possibly can".

Well, crowdtilt... but same difference. Does that annoy you? I have only done it for 3 things personally ever. A party, a chl class and a news article.

Its the online equivalent of passing the hat around... only you know how much is in the hat before hand. I think its a good thing.

#24 6 years ago

That's a woofer. Did you loose the high end of the nail-biting, screeching, dissonant sounds that builds during a good ball?

#25 6 years ago

Looks great!

I wonder what the frequency response of a mud wasp is?

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from Superchicken:

That's a woofer. Did you loose the high end of the nail-biting, screeching, dissonant sounds that builds during a good ball?

Yes I did. So then I hooked up the old speaker in parallel to get the highs back as a temp fix.

I am going to get a smaller mid range speaker and tweeter for a permanent fix. I bet I will be the only dude with a Meteor with 3 speakers inside of it. Haha.

I actually love the sounds.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

Yes I did. So then I hooked up the old speaker in parallel to get the highs back as a temp fix.
I am going to get a smaller mid range speaker and tweeter for a permanent fix. I bet I will be the only dude with a Meteor with 3 speakers inside of it. Haha.
I actually love the sounds.

Yes. It drives the dog crazy.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Looks great!
I wonder what the frequency response of a mud wasp is?

now that's funny !

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Old games sound great with upgraded woofers/subs. Those old sine/square wave non-sampled sounds that are generated are great like that. Should hear Space Shuttle hooked up to a high-end theatre subwoofer..it's awesome.

The original speaker is not a subwoofer; so putting that in a Classic Stern will not sound proper. Plus you need a pretty efficient speaker. Those big, cheap subs don't cut it. Sound like shit in most cases.

You have to find a mid sub with more of a classic cloth edge surround to get the right pitch and proper tuning if you go with a single driver. My choice that kicks ass is below. Just have to open up the hole by about 1 inch which is straight forward and trade out the base plate with a slightly larger version.

Atlas Sound makes a really nice speaker for the trick. It is a GD87. It is an 8 inch coaxial speaker that is super efficient at 96db 1W/1M. The loudspeaker is matched with a high efficiency 8 watt 70.7V transformer with a maximum insertion loss of 0.6dB. This premium transformer is constructed of audio grade laminations and has a full range frequency response of +1dB from 50Hz to 15kHz. The primary taps are 1, 2, 4, and 8 watts. The output of an SB300 is approximately 5 watts.

http://www.atlassound.com/Solutions/Products/1283/GD87.html

#30 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

I have a 200 watt on mine and it really cranks.

#31 6 years ago

By the way. I have used this speaker alot in my classics. The only issue is you have to make sure the tweeter wires don't hit the metal plate on the cabinet or it can "crackle". Easy fix if you go with plastic mess or you can pull them back some. Bottom line is there are 2 options here you can choice and they are cheap. This is just slightly less efficient then the atlas and does not sound as tight but still very good. One other trick is they make an output transistor you can add to the SB300 board that makes it 14 watts.

http://www.parts-express.com/pioneer-b20ec82-51fx-q-8-coaxial-ceiling-speak--290-057

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

The original speaker is not a subwoofer; so putting that in a Classic Stern will not sound proper. Plus you need a pretty efficient speaker. Those big, cheap subs don't cut it. Sound like shit in most cases.
You have to find a mid sub with more of a classic cloth edge surround to get the right pitch and proper tuning if you go with a single driver. My choice that kicks ass is below. Just have to open up the hole by about 1 inch which is straight forward and trade out the base plate with a slightly larger version.
Atlas Sound makes a really nice speaker for the trick. It is a GD87. It is an 8 inch coaxial speaker that is super efficient at 96db 1W/1M. The loudspeaker is matched with a high efficiency 8 watt 70.7V transformer with a maximum insertion loss of 0.6dB. This premium transformer is constructed of audio grade laminations and has a full range frequency response of +1dB from 50Hz to 15kHz. The primary taps are 1, 2, 4, and 8 watts. The output of an SB300 is approximately 5 watts.
http://www.atlassound.com/Solutions/Products/1283/GD87.html

My HS needs a new cab speaker but has to be a low profile speaker. How would this work for my HS? How tall is it?

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

My HS needs a new cab speaker but has to be a low profile speaker. How would this work for my HS? How tall is it?

Looks to be about 2.75 inches tall.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from harbngr:

what is the new speaker you put in? I have a couple of old sterns that could use an upgrade on that.

I listed a couple of great choices in this thread. You will be happy with either.

I pretty much upgrade all my Bally and Classic sterns with these 2 speakers. I do it right to make a nice; factory looking installation. Take your time.

Here is what I put in my Centaur. When you want to go off the chain.
http://www.parts-express.com/eminence-beta-10cx-10-coaxial-driver--290-502

With the matching cross over and APT-50 horn tweeter and matching cross over. I added a 75 watt amp. It will literally blow the playfield and backglass apart as any appreciable volume. It is a blast to crank.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

So I got a phone call, and a guy in the country had a stern meteor and wanted me to come and get it. I paid a little for it... Just a little.

Get the game setup, look at it the first time. It was already loaded head down when I picked it up. It's nice.

There was some shopping and work to do, so I got some new parts.

The new sub is amazing with these sounds.
The old speaker was nasty!!

Still more to come.

image-868.jpg 313 KB

image-956.jpg 224 KB

image-200.jpg 208 KB

image-921.jpg 208 KB

image-838.jpg 227 KB

image-175.jpg 302 KB

image-711.jpg 180 KB

image-796.jpg 251 KB

image-462.jpg 268 KB

image-660.jpg 158 KB

image-466.jpg 208 KB

image-881.jpg 265 KB

image-376.jpg 245 KB

image-820.jpg 273 KB

image-400.jpg 277 KB

Jared, What did you do with the old targets?. Make sure they get recycled back to someone who needs them. I would purchase them from you at the festival if you want to sell them. If not me please don't destroy or throw them out.

#36 6 years ago

Nice find! I like the speaker upgrade. Where may I ask did you get your pinball parts from? Thanks!

#37 6 years ago

iheart Metor! and this one in great shape for a barn find. Enjoy!

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from Aladdin:

Nice find! I like the speaker upgrade. Where may I ask did you get your pinball parts from? Thanks!

Most of them from MARCO, the drop targets from ebay, and the speaker from an online store.

#39 6 years ago

Jared, What did you do with the old targets?. Make sure they get recycled back to someone who needs them. I would purchase them from you at the festival if you want to sell them. If not me please don't destroy or throw them out.

I kept them all.

They are dirty, but could be re-purposed to be any classic stern drop targets. I keep all my spare parts.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

I kept them all.
They are dirty, but could be re-purposed to be any classic stern drop targets. I keep all my spare parts.

Need to put them back on the game unless you have tweeked the drop target mech and fixed the length difference by height adjustment (shim) and Grinding down the plunger reset shaft by the same amount. You down graded the machine by going to repro hat targets vs. original chicklets.

#41 6 years ago

Jared,

It may sound like Bill is dogging you, and he probably is to a degree, but he is correct in that it is the incorrect target for that game. And he is correct there is modification now required, when it comes to classic Stern's he is one to listen to.

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from Marc:

Jared,
It may sound like Bill is dogging you, and he probably is to a degree, but he is correct in that it is the incorrect target for that game. And he is correct there is modification now required, when it comes to classic Stern's he is one to listen to.

Thanks for the Kudo's Marc....Not dogging....Or at least I am not trying to come across that way.

Just picky. Concerns me when I see changes made to these games when the original components are fine they just need restored, rebuilt and tweeked (to the maximus) You can see it on the photo he took of the top Meteor targets. It is sitting 1/8 inch too low and the ones not down the letter is not showing. (shims, plunger).

This makes the game play like A**. Very subtle changes impact the game play and especially the repro drop targets on Meteor because of the flush mount of the hat target on the playfield. The bottoms are chicklets for a reason. Hats sit crooked on the shelf , lose side to side movement etc. The repro's also have a tendency to crack at the spring eyelet and makes then sloppy. The originals have a much more flexible polymer. Originals are just perfect. Repro's not so much.

Overall these issues greatly impact speed of the target, ball travel once down and overall smoothness of the game.

I need to give my classic stern restoration seminar at the TPF this year. It deals directly with the issue as stated above.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from Marc:

Jared,

Not to get picky but a couple of other obvious non-factory components that will help game play. The flippers you bought are wrong. Typically Meteor's used a steel capped white flipper bat. This gives much more of a rigid feel to hitting the ball in mid flight. The other issue. You have put star posts on vs. Faceted posts. That is a huge difference also. Both Facets and Ribbed are much more flexible. Ribbed is like the classic Bally. Facets also don't have the right inside diameter.

The only ribbed post ever used on a classic stern was Seawitch but it was the purple color not the bluish ones like on Bally's. More like the under playfield light hardware used on a Williams System 6-9 game.

Steve Young at Pinball resource sells the correct parts. Faceted red posts are a must. They are the most "hardest" post and make the game play much snappier. I have been in alot of arguments over flippers with classic stern guys about weight vs. flexibility on flippers (Plastic vs. metal capped). Probably not as much an issue as long as you have the right coils and flipper parts on the bottom. If you are going to keep the game I would switch over to the MPU200 style flipper plates, paw, and plunger. Some mods are needed here to make absolutely perfect but then it doesn't sit flush on the field. (or you modify the playfield (like on a stingray field ; MPU100) with precisely controlled divets for nuts on all of the components).

#44 6 years ago

Nice, I came across the same situation last year.
Found a Stellar Wars that had been sitting in a horse barn for 9 years.

Congrats

#45 6 years ago

Not to get picky but a couple of other obvious non-factory components that will help game play. The flippers you bought are wrong. Typically Meteor's used a steel capped white flipper bat. This gives much more of a rigid feel to hitting the ball in mid flight. The other issue. You have put star posts on vs. Faceted posts. That is a huge difference also. Both Facets and Ribbed are much more flexible. Ribbed is like the classic Bally. Facets also don't have the right inside diameter.
The only ribbed post ever used on a classic stern was Seawitch but it was the purple color not the bluish ones like on Bally's. More like the under playfield light hardware used on a Williams System 6-9 game.
Steve Young at Pinball resource sells the correct parts. Faceted red posts are a must. They are the most "hardest" post and make the game play much snappier. I have been in alot of arguments over flippers with classic stern guys about weight vs. flexibility on flippers (Plastic vs. metal capped). Probably not as much an issue as long as you have the right coils and flipper parts on the bottom. If you are going to keep the game I would switch over to the MPU200 style flipper plates, paw, and plunger. Some mods are needed here to make absolutely perfect but then it doesn't sit flush on the field. (or you modify the playfield (like on a stingray field ; MPU100) with precisely controlled divets for nuts on all of the components).

I would like to take 100% of your advice. Will you be my classic stern guide?

I have no problem buying all the parts... it's just I dont know better when I am on Marcos website... with the game "Meteor" selected... and thats the flippers it tells me to buy for the game.

Yes, I want to keep this one... really make it nice. I will buy whatever is needed... or whomever's service is needed to do it right. Guide me.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

I would like to take 100% of your advice. Will you be my classic stern guide?

Suck ass.

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from Jared:

I will tell you the secret.
Facebook. It's all about facebook.
I am a avid user... a rabid user. I could bore you with the facts... but I actually get paid to do it for a living. Its a long story.

Sorry to divert but I'm really interested in this. If you could expand on it, maybe in a new thread?

#49 6 years ago

This seems alittle .......Harsh....Even for me..

#50 6 years ago

This seems alittle .......Harsh....Even for me..

And your point is???

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 100.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Siegecraft Electronics
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 25.00
There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside