You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20180422_133133 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180422_133214 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180422_133654 (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I picked up a Pinbot from an auction and noticed after I got it home that speech wasn't working, and music was just ok. I ordered a recap kit for the power supply and the external sound board and when I started taking out the boards I finally noticed the MPU is a System 11, with the sticker of game type 541: High Speed. Pinbot is game 549 and is a System 11A.

Of course the Pinbot roms are all there, and the game does pretty ok except I still don't get speech from the game. I went ahead and recapped the power and sound boards to get it done, but I was wondering - is it functional to have a System 11 in this game? I've seen some threads about the compatibility but nothing so specific about sound. I'm about to pull the trigger on ordering some caps and maybe an U1 amp (TDA2002) replacement for the MPU to try and solve the speech issue - am I wasting my time due to possible incompatibility? The game certainly pauses as if it is *supposed* to speak. Is it possible that the cabling is incorrect between the boards? I could use some pushes or some advice or... anything really!

#2 5 years ago

Post a picture of the MPU board.

Try reseating the small ribbon cable at the MPU and the sound board.

#3 5 years ago

Sure - I've reseated the boards and ribbon cables a whole bunch so I don't know if it's a ribbon cabling issue unless the cable itself is bad. I can test those of course.

As for the boards, I've done a little flux cleanup work and some reflowing. I already recapped the power and sound boards with new caps. Some of the caps in the sound area that I took a detail shot of look a little swelled, maybe?

IMG_20180422_133654 (resized).jpgIMG_20180422_133654 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180422_133214 (resized).jpgIMG_20180422_133214 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180422_133133 (resized).jpgIMG_20180422_133133 (resized).jpg

#4 5 years ago

Ok, I think I got it. I replaced the caps around IJ16 and I have speech. Replaced the ribbon cable for fun. Also when I got the machine, IJ17 was routed to the sound board and I swear I can't remember if I tried it in IJ16.

Now I blew up Q71 so I think I'll wait to get the Zener diodes and install them like I'm supposed to.

#5 5 years ago

I also have a PinBot and when I got it the music and some background sounds were not present. I searched every topic and not really ever finding the smoking gun answer, as some issues with sound were not like what I had. See, when I was sure I found the same issue with speech working and music not and part of some sounds did and some did not, I was going to tell the world. Perhaps what I did learn will help you with sorting things out. First PinBot has some earlier sound boards in some games and sound issues seem to be an issue be it minor or hard to figure , they are common. Part of the sounds are generated on the sound board or card what ever reference you use, then go to the CPU to be amplified then returned to the sound board for mixing and delivery. In my case the speech was fine in every aspect. Speech and some sounds comes from the MPU board sound section and yes
the speech rom(s)s also contain some sound effects.
There is a way to test this with the white button on the MPU (read up
in the pinrepair site)
You should hear 2 tones. If you don't hear either tone then the
problem can be with the CPU, PIA or RAM for the MPU based sound
section. If you hear 1 tone, then the speech chip (55536) or the op
amps (1458) are bad. If the board has had battery damage it should only effect the background music and sounds
generated on the remote sound board. The controls for that board come
from PIA U41 and U42 which are located directly below the battery. This all of course is assuming you did the obvious ribbon cable switch and the connecters and such were checked. It seemed that a lot of the issues were fixed by replacing or repairing bad connecters.

I was lucky enough to be able to try a good sound board I put new chips in and the issue was still present. I narrowed it down to the CPU.Oh, and as far as the board. The board you have (system11) is the most interchangeable of all, for the era, It is a valuable board because it is the only board that those few game can use (High Speed is one of them ,Road Kings and Grand Lizard I think) system 11 A or 11B will also work for PinBot if D-11581 sound board is used with it.
I will leave you with this last check.to try. Good luck, and do not put a Rottendog Board in a PinBot. It takes a special pot and in most not all cases it just is not worth the hassle , fix the Williams at all cost,.

Go in the back box and press the white button for the sound test (I
believe this to be the upper switch of the 2 on the left side). You
should get 2 tones one tone will test the 1408 DAC sound chip, the
other tone will test the 55536 CVSD speech chip. Knowing which tones
if any you get will help narrow this down before buying any parts. I'll keep an eye on your progress.
Bronk

#6 5 years ago

Thanks! But I got the speech working. The speakers kinda stink still but I got a new pot and am going to install that soon. Now I just gotta figure out Q71 blowing up. Got some Mouser parts coming this week.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

3,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Clovis, CA
3,152 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pulaski, PA
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fargo, ND
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Lighting - Backbox
Twisted Tokens

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/picked-up-a-pinbot-with-a-system-11-mpu-sound-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.