• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20161209_172448 (resized).jpg
sg (resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Finally got a nice Stargate. Cabinet is nearly perfect. Playfield has a giant sheet of mylar up and down the entire middle of the main playfield area. Not sure if that is normal for these form the factory when they were new? Paint looks perfect on the playfield under the mylar. Now I keep thinking I might want to remove the mylar and do my first clearcoat job? Cabinet does not need anything done to it. Looks like a lot is involved to tear this one down to do a playfield job like that... anyone ever do one?

One minor issue with it, I think. Ball hits the left sling and right after that the sling activates a few more times quickly. Sound familiar to anyone?

Game has all leds, pinball pro speaker in the bottom of cab and new stickers and rebuilt flippers.

sg (resized).jpgsg (resized).jpg

#2 7 years ago

Replace the rubber. If it still does it, open the gap a bit

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Not sure if that is normal for these form the factory when they were new? Paint looks perfect on the playfield under the mylar.

Yes, and it would be a good idea to leave it in place. There are plenty of failed removal attempts on other stargates. It is typical for this game to lose all the paint on the inserts while removing the mylar.

I would recommend not messing with it.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Yes, and it would be a good idea to leave it in place. There are plenty of failed removal attempts on other stargates. It is typical for this game to loose all the paint in the insert while removing the mylar.
I would recommend not messing with it.

This!

#5 7 years ago

Ok, I'll leave it alone. This game is a lot of fun!

1 week later
#6 7 years ago

Did the same thing on mine when I adjust the switch...the metal plates of the switch are too close.

The mylar gone to the top of the playfield close to the pyramid entrance... Mine is the original one but need to change it because there are bubbles under...I think I will choose the frozen technics for pull it off because it leave the glue on playfield and may don't lose paints...but I'm not sure at all...

Good luck

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Benhurr:

Did the same thing on mine when I adjust the switch...the metal plates of the switch are too close.
The mylar gone to the top of the playfield close to the pyramid entrance... Mine is the original one but need to change it because there are bubbles under...I think I will choose the frozen technics for pull it off because it leave the glue on playfield and may don't lose paints...but I'm not sure at all...
Good luck

There is a low success rate for mylar removal. System 3 playfields--and stargate especially--always seem to lose paint when mylar is removed.

#8 7 years ago

I get hooked on this at the arcade ..

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

There is a low success rate for mylar removal. System 3 playfields--and stargate especially--always seem to lose paint when mylar is removed.

This. 100x this. For whatever reason, the blue paint on SG is prone to stay stuck to the mylar. Of course, try it and report your results back.

#10 7 years ago

I'm not going to attempt the mylar removal myself. I would like to pay someone experienced to remove it and clearcoat the playfield. This game is a lifetime keeper for me, I enjoy it that much. Would love to see it newly clearcoated.

#11 7 years ago

I'm not going to attempt the mylar removal myself. I would like to pay someone experienced to remove it and clearcoat the playfield. This game is a lifetime keeper for me, I enjoy it that much. Would love to see it newly clearcoated.

That looks like a really nice Stargate. How about posting a few more photos of that beauty? I have always been intrigued by this pin as I really like the theme. Really nice Stargates do not come up for sale very often.

Enjoy your new pin and be very careful with mylar removal on this pin. I seem to recall multiple stories of paint lifting when folks try to remove the mylar on this particular title.

Gord

#12 7 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I've seen a Waterworld without mylar and a realy nice clearcoat so it's possible to pull it off without ruined the playfield paint but how to do it...the sailer couldn't tell him how the previous player did.

1 week later
#13 7 years ago

20161209_172448 (resized).jpg20161209_172448 (resized).jpg

#14 7 years ago

Anyone here ever tear down top and bottom of playfield on a stargate? I found someone experienced to do the mylar and clearcoat. Now I have to get the courage to do the teardown, never done one before.

#15 7 years ago

Anyone here ever tear down top and bottom of playfield on a stargate? I found someone experienced to do the mylar and clearcoat. Now I have to get the courage to do the teardown, never done one before.

I'm not sure I'd recommend that your first tear-down be stargate. It's probably one of the more complicated pins to do a tear-down on.

But, if you proceed, search for tear-down photos to see if it's something you might be able to handle.

For first timers, I usually recommend early solid state games with no ramps. That gets your feet wet, you get to see how things are put together, you don't have to spend too much time with it since there are fewer parts, and you can use the experience as a pretty good gauge to determine if it's even something you would enjoy doing. There's nothing worse than getting half way done on a complicated game then giving up because of losing interest.

On the other hand, some people dive in head first no problem. It really depends on your interest and existing skillset.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Leesburg, VA
$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

3,975 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 24.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 15.45
Gameroom - Decorations
KAHR.US Circuits

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/picked-up-a-nice-stargate?hl=benhurr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.