Gottlieb_Big_Shot_007.jpg
Gottlieb_Big_Shot_006.jpg
Gottlieb_Big_Shot_005.jpg
Gottlieb_Big_Shot_004.jpg
Gottlieb_Big_Shot_003.jpg
Gottlieb_Big_Shot_002.jpg
Gottlieb_Big_Shot_001.jpg
#1 10 years ago

After many dry holes and machines getting snatched from me I finally scored.

And it was worth the wait. I picked up a Gottlieb Big Shot from near Dover Delaware yesterday. It was posted on Craigslist on Wed and thankfully the guy was busy (since I couldn't get there until yesterday and we are both ex Air Force guys so he held it for me

From what I gathered it was given to him by a friend. It was sitting in a garage (probably a barn since I was deep in farm country)

Except for the obvious dirt on the outside this is a sweet game with I think not much wear.

Counter only shows 18000 plays, but I think it's probably broken.

It fires up, but and I got it to reset after adjusting some score reels, but it needs allot of TLC on the drop targets.

This thread will probably be pretty big by the time I'm done.

I will need some help with the drop targets. Pretty gunky and the coils don't seem to get enough uumph to reset the left bank.

Here are some photos.

Gottlieb_Big_Shot_001.jpgGottlieb_Big_Shot_001.jpg Gottlieb_Big_Shot_002.jpgGottlieb_Big_Shot_002.jpg Gottlieb_Big_Shot_003.jpgGottlieb_Big_Shot_003.jpg

#2 10 years ago

More

Gottlieb_Big_Shot_004.jpgGottlieb_Big_Shot_004.jpg Gottlieb_Big_Shot_005.jpgGottlieb_Big_Shot_005.jpg Gottlieb_Big_Shot_006.jpgGottlieb_Big_Shot_006.jpg

#3 10 years ago

More

Gottlieb_Big_Shot_007.jpgGottlieb_Big_Shot_007.jpg Gottlieb_Big_Shot_008.jpgGottlieb_Big_Shot_008.jpg Gottlieb_Big_Shot_009.jpgGottlieb_Big_Shot_009.jpg

#4 10 years ago

More

Gottlieb_Big_Shot_010.jpgGottlieb_Big_Shot_010.jpg Gottlieb_Big_Shot_011.jpgGottlieb_Big_Shot_011.jpg Gottlieb_Big_Shot_012.jpgGottlieb_Big_Shot_012.jpg

#5 10 years ago

And Finally

Gottlieb_Big_Shot_013.jpgGottlieb_Big_Shot_013.jpg Gottlieb_Big_Shot_014.jpgGottlieb_Big_Shot_014.jpg Gottlieb_Big_Shot_015.jpgGottlieb_Big_Shot_015.jpg

#6 10 years ago

Looks nice!

The last big shot I had a chance to get was an absolute pile of u know what. The guy almost threw me out of his house when I gave him my offer price, lol.

#7 10 years ago

looks REAL nice bert...

be glad i was unable to pick it up for you earlier, because it would have gotten "lost" on the way to your house... that pf looks to be pretty much perfect, no wear even under the kick-out for the 8 ball...

i'll give you a hand with the drops if you don't get them figured out...

looks to be a great score... WAY better than the other machine that you recently missed out on...

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from fflint_18:

After many dry holes and machines getting snatched from me I finally scored.

Those dreaded ^^^ craigslist vultures.
Nice and clean not much wear on it,beats the other pin that was pried from you.

#9 10 years ago

Congrats on the score!

#10 10 years ago

Thanks All,

Will take all of you up on the offers to help with the drops.

Thought I had them figured out, but one is still sticking bad on the way down. And the bank still won't pop up.

Working a big proposal at work this week so won't be able to get to it until next week.

There is not much I have to buy.

The unit is so nice. Maybe it really does only have 18,000 plays.

A whole set of drop targets of course. Rubber set.

The flipper bushings (will replace them anyway) and links all look really good.

This would be the first time I don't buy a rebuild kit.

But the one coil is a little cooked so I may go and order yellow dots.

Maybe some bumper parts, but it really looks good and if I need to do it it's only one.

Bulbs.

How well do acorn nuts clean up in a tumbler?

Maybe since I'm not spending the usual 200 to 250 on parts I will spring for one. Any suggestion?

Anything else you folks see that I'll need?

#11 10 years ago

Hey that pin looks really good. It may only have 18,000 plays, it shows no signs of rust on the inside. For sure it has been stored in a dry place. Is the plastic shield installed in front of the front row of switches original? Was it added to avoid shorting out the pin with the coin box? Any ideas?
Have Fun!

#12 10 years ago

- imo, properly rebuilt flippers shouldn't require yellow dots... but that's only imo, i know others swear by them, and they are more 'sperienced than i... i know on my gottliebs, they aren't needed...

- i have a few bumper parts floating around, depending on what you need, i may have it..

- acorn nuts polish up well... clean them in ultrasonic cleaner, dry with air gun, polish in tumbler, blast out stuck walnut pieces with air gun... that being said, i've given up on acorn nuts and now use the "rubber barrel" thingies... imo, they are kinder to the plastics, and they certainly are easier to remove to change bulbs/rubbers... see "rin-pc" on this link... note: not original, and some may frown on this practice...

http://www.pbresource.com/rubber/rin-pc.jpg

- i (and a lot of others) use this tumbler from cabela's (it's a rebranded one)... on sale... if you want to try before you buy, you can borrow mine for awhile...

edit: link too long... go to www.cabelas.com and search for "400 tumbler"...

you'll also need some tumbling media (i use "desert blend" from the pet store) and polish (i use flitz)...

i use the ultrasonic cleaner and tumbler for lots of other things as well...

- imo, and only imo, new pf posts and flipper bats go a long way towards dressing up a game... again, others may disagree... bumper bodies and caps too...

- yes, you "need" to get it done fast cuz i want to play it...

#13 10 years ago

That game is in really nice shape for its age. It's also a real quality game, great shooting skill required. Looks like you scored, dude!

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

i've given up on acorn nuts and now use the "rubber barrel" thingies... imo, they are kinder to the plastics, and they certainly are easier to remove to change bulbs/rubbers... see "rin-pc" on this link... note: not original, and some may frown on this practice...

A big Thumbs Up. Also if they fall into the cabinet they are easier to spot, and even match the white rubber rings too.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

A big Thumbs Up. Also if they fall into the cabinet they are easier to spot, and even match the white rubber rings too.

and invariably, they WILL fall into the cabinet... anything i don't want to fall into the cabinet, will...

#16 10 years ago

Eh... To put it bluntly, screw those metal acorns... The rubber barrels are just much easier to deal with. I highly recommend them as well.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

- imo, properly rebuilt flippers shouldn't require yellow dots... but that's only imo, i know others swear by them, and they are more 'sperienced than i... i know on my gottliebs, they aren't needed...

I agree. With a little work, you can get your flippers nice and snappy without replacing coils.

#18 10 years ago

Nice pin!

I scored a Big Shot last month and can't get enough of it.

Congratulations.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Hey that pin looks really good. It may only have 18,000 plays, it shows no signs of rust on the inside. For sure it has been stored in a dry place. Is the plastic shield installed in front of the front row of switches original? Was it added to avoid shorting out the pin with the coin box? Any ideas?
Have Fun!

I'm guessing the plastic was either original or at the least put there by the vending company to keep bouncing coins out of mechs.

I picked up the coinbox and it says Inservice and a date in 1974.

One thing I did note though.

Serial Numbers don't match.

Cabinet and Playfield have Serial Number 8686

Top of backbox stamped with 8888

I wonder if the vending company just had several and put whatever head was closest to the cabinet together?

Guess that drops the value. Don't really care because I can't see me selling it as a super collectible.

#20 10 years ago

Having the wrong serial number on the backbox is not a total disaster. Some pinball guys want all numbers matching, most only care about the overall condition of the pin. On a rare pin, the serial numbers not matching may raise an eyebrow. Mostly it is condition that is important.
With the info you have posted, your pin was routed. Big Shot was produced in September 1973.
Clean it up, service it, then enjoy playing it.

#21 10 years ago

The metal acorn nuts shine up nicely using novus 2, believe it or not.

Take an old post screw and put a nut on it. Put some novus on a rag and twist it around.

Dry it off on a clean part of the rag.

They also shine up nicely with a couple of quick passes on the buffing wheel.

Tumbling them adds so much extra work, not recommended.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from fflint_18:

I'm guessing the plastic was either original or at the least put there by the vending company to keep bouncing coins out of mechs.
Serial Numbers don't match.
Cabinet and Playfield have Serial Number 8686
Top of backbox stamped with 8888
I wonder if the vending company just had several and put whatever head was closest to the cabinet together?
Guess that drops the value. Don't really care because I can't see me selling it as a super collectible.

either that or to protect the relays from the person emptying the cash box from cramming the box into the relays?

re: serial numbers... falls into the big huge category of "doesn't matter" for me... i didn't even look on any of the machines i bought... imo, that's one of those things that the "collectibles" market people have brought to the pinball hobby (and it's not a good thing, imo)...

#23 10 years ago
Quoted from fflint_18:

Counter only shows 18000 plays, but I think it's probably broken.

From the fact that there is no wear on the bonus or pool ball inserts 18000 plays looks very realistic for this game. Most have some form of wear on these inserts. Yours show no signs whatsoever. I even bet the play counter works.

Nice score.

Mike O.
Team-EM

#24 10 years ago

One of my all time fav EM's to play back in '74

GREAT SCORE!!!!

#25 10 years ago

Big Shot was my first pin! It was given to me by my dad. He had bought it in the mid-80's and put it into storage shortly after until I got it in 2006. I still love this game, but mine isn't in nearly as nice a shape as that one.

Question - does anyone know where to get the proper wrench for the acorn nuts?? Yes, in all this time I have never managed to remove them and fortunately haven't had to. I have purchased 2 different 'acorn nut' wrenches and they have all been the wrong size!

Brian

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Question - does anyone know where to get the proper wrench for the acorn nuts?? Yes, in all this time I have never managed to remove them and fortunately haven't had to. I have purchased 2 different 'acorn nut' wrenches and they have all been the wrong size!
Brian

Just a standard 5/16" nut driver fits the acorn nuts. Sometimes a thin 1/4" open-end wrench is needed to hold the post from turning, while the acorn nut is being twisted off.

#27 10 years ago

PBR has a helpful tool...

http://www.pbresource.com/tools.html

Palnut removal tool GTB-26181 $4

#28 10 years ago

Yes, the mylar/plastic sheet in front of the resetting relay bank is a factory item. Most are torn off the first time a technician services the relay bank. I can hear the purists now; I need one for every Gottlieb multi player game with a front relay bank.

Steve young has dollar signs in his eyes! $$$$

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Yes, the mylar/plastic sheet in front of the resetting relay bank is a factory item. Most are torn off the first time a technician services the relay bank. I can hear the purists now; I need one for every Gottlieb multi player game with a front relay bank.
Steve young has dollar signs in his eyes! $$$$

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from IntoPinball:

PBR has a helpful tool...
http://www.pbresource.com/tools.html
Palnut removal tool GTB-26181 $4

and 4 bucks well spent, IMO...

#31 10 years ago

My Jumping Jack still had that plastic, sort of in the way all the time, but can see it serving a useful purpose BITD, with the cash box being so close. I took mine off and cleaned it up pretty well and re-installed.

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Darcy:

Have Fun!

Agree about the play meter. The glass and playfield look to be very low play.

Nice find.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Big Shot was my first pin! It was given to me by my dad. He had bought it in the mid-80's and put it into storage shortly after until I got it in 2006. I still love this game, but mine isn't in nearly as nice a shape as that one.
Brian

There is a tool that Steve at PBR sells that you can get under the plastic and grab that the nut on the post so the acorn will spin off without the whole post spinning.

#34 10 years ago

Thanks for all the posts. Work doesn't allow access to Pinside (I know, the Horror) so I wait all day to get home and see what's been going on.

Wife has honey dos for tonight and the horrible Flyers are on so not much will get accomplished today.

#35 10 years ago

You've even got the center plastic. Mine never had the correct one. Nice playfield and back glass. My back glass is pretty rough and I can't find anyone to reproduce it. I've had mine 20+ years and yours is in much better shape. Shame on me.

#36 10 years ago

Found one with a nice bg and a little wear to wood in just a couple spots but they want 2500 OBO. Hate to tell them my best offer would be less than 1/5 of their asking. Yikes. This one looks great

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from Prmailers:

The metal acorn nuts shine up nicely using novus 2, believe it or not.
Take an old post screw and put a nut on it. Put some novus on a rag and twist it around.
Dry it off on a clean part of the rag.
They also shine up nicely with a couple of quick passes on the buffing wheel.
Tumbling them adds so much extra work, not recommended.

After the first tumble and spending an hour picking the media out of the nuts I just tumble them while screwed onto the posts now and it's easy and painless.

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from fflint_18:

There is a tool that Steve at PBR sells that you can get under the plastic and grab that the nut on the post so the acorn will spin off without the whole post spinning.

Yep > http://www.pbresource.com/toolbox/gtb-26181i.jpg

#39 10 years ago

Eh... You're slow... I posted that days ago, Devil Boy....

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from IntoPinball:

Eh... You're slow... I posted that days ago, Devil Boy....

Not slow, just cutting to the chase. Thats Mr Devil boy to you.

#41 10 years ago

Hey now Pin-it cutting in on my terretory...

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from jasonsmith:

After the first tumble and spending an hour picking the media out of the nuts I just tumble them while screwed onto the posts now and it's easy and painless.

Good idea!

I do the same, but polish them on the buffer screwed to a post.

I'll try that next time and see how it goes.

#43 10 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Hey now Pin-it cutting in on my terretory...

There's plenty of evil to go around.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/picked-up-a-gottlieb-big-shot-this-weekend and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.