New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 99800)

Picked up a gorgeous unrestored Pinbot yesterday

By jibmums

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Chnillapoil
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 11 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

coindoor.jpg
PinBot Swag.JPG
20140801_191749.jpg
Pinbot (8)-683.JPG
Pinbot (7)-736.JPG
Pinbot (6)-284.JPG
Pinbot (5)-840.JPG
Pinbot (4)-907.JPG
Pinbot (1)-165.JPG
Pinbot (2)-946.JPG
Pinbot (3)-718.JPG

#1 6 years ago

I was kinda bummed since I had to miss the JJP show yesterday, so halfway through the afternoon I absentmindedly checked LI/NY CL and the this was posted: longisland.craigslist.org link

Now, perfect it isn't, but it's as close to "like new" as I've ever seen a non-NIB pin. Everything works perfectly. Cabinet is unbelievable - no scrapes or scuffs, a couple of minor edge/corner rubs that just need a touchup with a paint pen. Boards and cabinet interior look like it just came out of the box. Perfect backglass/translight, apron, plastics, vortex ramp, displays, topper. All metal looks like new but needs polishing. Everything under the playfield looks like new, and for a nice change I won't have to replace any plungers or sleeves. Manual looks like it was just printed. Batteries just started the inevitable leak and will be replaced with a remote. Only thing I'm not thrilled about is that the playfield was never mylared, and is starting to show a little wear around the grid inserts. Other than that, and I know you guys hate the term, especially without receipts, but I'd have to say this was an HUO machine, it's that clean.

The front of the cabinet has a pair of Pinbot stickers attached. I've never seen these before, was this something that came with the game originally? My first reaction was to remove them but if they're Williams-issue, then hell, they add character to the game so I'll leave 'em.

I'm confused by the coindoor. This doesn't look like the usual Williams Sys9-11 door, yet all the hardware on the back looks straight Williams, and it doesn't look like it was ever touched. Plus when I checked my Pinbot photo files, about half the machines there have this same door. Maybe they subbed a different door sometime during the run, anyone know the story on this?

Pinbot (1)-165.JPG
Pinbot (2)-946.JPGPinbot (3)-718.JPGPinbot (4)-907.JPGPinbot (5)-840.JPGPinbot (6)-284.JPGPinbot (7)-736.JPGPinbot (8)-683.JPG

#2 6 years ago

Those are WMS promo stickers, I've seen them before.

Not sure I've ever seen that particular door before.

Very nice!

#3 6 years ago

Wow! That is beautiful. Great find. Great pick-up. Great price. Congratulations!

#4 6 years ago

WOW!! Great score! Enjoy!

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Only thing I'm not thrilled about is that the playfield was never mylared, and is starting to show a little wear around the grid inserts.

That's not a downside, it's a plus. Makes restoration MUCH easier..

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

Those are WMS promo stickers, I've seen them before.
Not sure I've ever seen that particular door before.
Very nice!

You can buy them, could be someone did and stuck them on in recent years. I bought a set from one of the usual dealers, can't recall which one.

Nice find and condition. Let's see a photo of the PF just in front of the moving target back, that is always tell-tale. Interesting there is no mylar, I don't recall ever seeing an original Pinbot without that, and they are usually really well mylar'd.

I've never understood what significance the large orange topper base has, anyone know?

#7 6 years ago

Nice find!!! I love my pinbot. Just did a full LED kit to mine from cointaker. Also changed out the amber flasher domes for red and blue on the color opposite sides of the playfield.
20140801_191749.jpg

Quoted from Atomicboy:

You can buy them, could be someone did and stuck them on in recent years. I bought a set from one of the usual dealers, can't recall which one.
Nice find and condition. Let's see a photo of the PF just in front of the moving target back, that is always tell-tale. Interesting there is no mylar, I don't recall ever seeing an original Pinbot without that, and they are usually really well mylar'd.
I've never understood what significance the large orange topper base has, anyone know?

I believe the topper base on mine is orange also. Not that I can check for sure as I'm at work. But it's not like you can really see it when the games set up anyway.

#8 6 years ago

Very nice!

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

about half the machines there have this same door

Same door on my PinBot. But yours has a lot less wear. Sweet looking game.

#10 6 years ago

Congrats. Great price for a Pinbot in that condition.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

The front of the cabinet has a pair of Pinbot stickers attached. I've never seen these before, was this something that came with the game originally?

I would assume that these are reproductions of these plastics that came with my machine. Beautiful machine, BTW. Also, my door is very similar, but lacks the raised section in the middle of the center rectangle. It's been in the family for a long time, but no clue which is "correct."

PinBot Swag.JPG

#12 6 years ago

You coin slots look pretty good. That is a good giveaway about whether or not the game has been in an arcade / coin taking environment. People jam quarters in sideways scuffing away paint.

Either way, you got a nice looking game. Congrats.

#13 6 years ago

I saw that pinbot and would have made the call if I didn't already have one. Nice grab.

#14 6 years ago

Sweet! Great Pickup! Enjoy!

#15 6 years ago

WOW! That thing looks great. Nice find.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

You coin slots look pretty good. That is a good giveaway about whether or not the game has been in an arcade / coin taking environment. People jam quarters in sideways scuffing away paint.

I honestly don't think it's ever seen a coin. There's no wear or scratches at all on the slots/mechs/return receptacle/coin bucket.

One thing I just noticed, when I took the backglass off, the lowest display was hanging on only by the connectors at the bottom. Looks like it was originally hot glued onto the board behind it (and the glue came loose), is that correct? So there won't be any harm in me hot gluing it back in again, or should I use another method like foam tape?

#17 6 years ago

That thing is B-E-A-utiful!! Now get those batteries out...

#18 6 years ago

Nice score, that's a keeper!
My coin door looks the same btw. Just not as nice!
coindoor.jpg

#19 6 years ago

Hell of a score. I'll have a HS and Pinbot one day since they got me hooked.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

The front of the cabinet has a pair of Pinbot stickers attached.

are they covering up holes that were drilled in the cabinet for a security bar? Hope not.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

are they covering up holes that were drilled in the cabinet for a security bar? Hope not.

It would be easy to detect an unfilled hole. If the decals were just placed over them.
There is also no wear at the flipper buttons, kind of a nice cabinet.

#22 6 years ago

Love me some pinbot. Nice looking copy. I was concerned the stickers were covering up lockbar holes but does not look that way from interior pic.

Congrats on the pickup excellent game.

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from zippydapinhead:

My coin door looks the same btw.

I think I've seen more of this style on Pinbots than the standard Williams door by now, and I'd have to say they're original. No way so many 'bots are being replaced with the same door while they're not showing up on High Speeds, Comets, etc.

Quoted from davewtf:

Nope, no evidence of holes drilled on the interior, and they feel perfectly flat from the outside. I would have to guess that the stickers have been there for a good while, they don't look new and are peeling up a little at the edges. The owner got it for his grandson when he would come to visit, and you know kids love their stickers; I'm glad they were the ONLY ones on the machine. I may just end up removing them at some point, but I'd hate to take any paint along with them.

I did find one of Ron/NY Pinball's stickers sitting on the glass (unapplied), so I'm guessing he serviced this 'bot at some point. Ron, do you recall this machine at all (Eddy in South Huntington)?

Anyone have an idea on the hot glue/display issue?

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

I think I've seen more of this style on Pinbots than the standard Williams door by now, and I'd have to say they're original. No way so many 'bots are being replaced with the same door while they're not showing up on High Speeds, Comets, etc.

Nope, no evidence of holes drilled on the interior, and they feel perfectly flat from the outside. I would have to guess that the stickers have been there for a good while, they don't look new and are peeling up a little at the edges. The owner got it for his grandson when he would come to visit, and you know kids love their stickers; I'm glad they were the ONLY ones on the machine. I may just end up removing them at some point, but I'd hate to take any paint along with them.
I did find one of Ron/NY Pinball's stickers sitting on the glass (unapplied), so I'm guessing he serviced this 'bot at some point. Ron, do you recall this machine at all (Eddy in South Huntington)?
Anyone have an idea on the hot glue/display issue?

Not sure who you are but nice score! I vaguely recall a pinbot with the promo stickers on it like that but I've worked on a lot of games over the years. I usually ask before putting a sticker on someones game as some people don't like it, BTW I made sure my stickers don't peel any artwork if taken off. I would attempt to take those promo stickers off with a blow dryer and plastic scraper/razor and some goo gone. You should scrape the old hot glue off the display gently if you can and clean with rubbing alcohol and hot glue it down again or use a thin double-stick tape, you don't want it to bulge out and rub against the B.G. Good luck with it!

#25 6 years ago

I also have the same coin door on mine. Great find! Keep it forever.

#26 6 years ago

That thing is amazing. I spent a year of my life to get mine to look like that....

#27 6 years ago

That coin door looks like a Cinematronics coin door like you would see on a Dragons Lair arcade the game. The raised metal plate is removable. On DL, the raised plate says Cinematronics on it.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk276/1iblind/CinematronicsCD1.jpg

http://www.farbish.com/wp-content/gallery/dragons-lair/dragonslair-8.jpg

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

That coin door looks like a Cinematronics coin door like you would see on a Dragons Pair arcade the game. The raised metal plate is removable. On DL, the raised plate says Cinematronics on it.
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk276/1iblind/CinematronicsCD1.jpg
http://www.farbish.com/wp-content/gallery/dragons-lair/dragonslair-8.jpg

Yeah, there were a few different center plates for videogame use. Centuri is a common one, I've also seen Taito and Cinematronics. No idea why Williams didn't personalize their plates.

Quoted from NYP:

Not sure who you are but nice score!

Same guy who picked up the Simpsons you posted about in Seaford a few weeks ago. Your sticker wasn't stuck on, just sitting on the glass.

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

Yeah, there were a few different center plates for videogame use. Centuri is a common one, I've also seen Taito and Cinematronics. No idea why Williams didn't personalize their plates.

Same guy who picked up The Simpsons you posted about in Seaford a few weeks ago. Your sticker wasn't stuck on, just sitting on the glass.

Oh yah, seems your on a lucky streak, both are in real nice shape, enjoy!

#30 6 years ago

I have a pinbot with the same coin door.

#31 6 years ago

Mine is in need of a playfield refurb. Next year that is going to be my only project, yank that PF, airbrush & clear, tumble parts and new coil sleeves.

1 week later
#33 6 years ago

Sweet!!!!!!

1 month later
#34 6 years ago

Same coin door me too made by Wico

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Sale Pending!
Bethlehem, PA
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Tulsa, OK
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside