image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Scored a good deal on a Firepower this morning. It definately needs a good cleaning, left flipper inop, some raised inserts. The backglass was "touched-up" by a real artiste...LOL!

Any advice on how to correct the raised inserts would be appreciated. It shouldn't be to hard to fix the flipper issue.

Here's some pics...

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 10 years ago

More...

#3 10 years ago

A few more...

#4 10 years ago

Last pic...

Does this EOS look iffy?

image.jpgimage.jpg

#5 10 years ago

heat inserts up with heat gun and tap down/up as needed

#6 10 years ago

Dangit, I was 5 minutes away from getting there and the guy called me saying that he already sold it...

Good score, karma train came back your way! Those targets are awesome!
-Wes

#7 10 years ago

Seller was a great guy, he had alot of calls but i got lucky and was the first to call. There are still good guys out there on CL.

#8 10 years ago

Thnks cosmo, ill try the heat gun tomorrow.

#9 10 years ago

Use a hairdryer if you haven't done it before. Heat gun leaves little room for error and the insert can get hot enough to permanently mark the plastic when you push on it with a socket or whatever you're pushing with.

#10 10 years ago

How much did you pay for this? There is one in IA i'm eyeing, but he wants $500 and it doesn't work.

#11 10 years ago

Lordloss,

Pm sent

#12 10 years ago

But Wes, I was 4 minutes away! Glad to see you get this one. Whewww. Hopefully you'll get it up and running without too many hickups. I have a few used boards laying around that may help your cause. But typically I just start out with a new power supply and MPU on the Williams after checking for hacks, bad coils, missing diodes, broken solder joints, burnt off switches, open loops, roms, grounds, and knomes living with gremlins inside the cabinet.

#13 10 years ago

Thanks,

Right now i just need to fix the inop flipper and chase down a sicky switch somewhere "phantom" scoring. Then clean, clean , clean...and wax! Im planning on it being a player for awhile until I do the cosmetics.
Hopefully i wont need an MPU but you never know!

How's your SS coming along?

#14 10 years ago

SS staus: Clean, clean, clean. Reseated all my connectors and everything works 83.6 % of the time (switches need a little TLC). Very happy the boards seem to be fully functional. All the lights are in working order now. Someone forgot to screw a row of lights back on to the board. Missing screws on the MPU causing speaker ground noice replaced. Backglass was cooked in that shed. Lots of cracking and bubbling but it will due for now. Over all worth it. The crew here is digg'n it. Out of space in the game room. Wifey says time to fix up the house now! (After a couple of games, bing, bing, ching, bing)

#15 10 years ago

Glad it went to a good home. Hopefully you can get that rate up into the 90% range!

#16 10 years ago

Nice most firepowers I see had bad wear on playfield

#17 10 years ago

There are a few areas, but not too bad. Im on the hunt for a backglass now.

#18 10 years ago

Bgresto.com can fix it. Of you ever hear from them. I am trying to get my doodle bug glass done haven't heard from them yet been a few weeks now

#19 10 years ago

Ill check em out.

Thanks!

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

How much did you pay for this? There is one in IA i'm eyeing, but he wants $500 and it doesn't work.

I seen that too..not worth 500. the boards didn't look very good either.

#21 10 years ago

Was poking around the pin tonite and noticed this on the board. Before and after a quick cleanup. Anyone seen this before? It just seemed like dirt as i was cleaning but i hope its not a cancer spreading across the board.

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#22 10 years ago

Looks much more like dirt/mold than corrosion.

Corrosion starts as greying or dulling of the shiny solder then progresses to green fuzz.

#23 10 years ago

Yep just dust. The big resistors get hot, hot makes air rise, heated dust rises and collects on the components above.

Bulletproof it like Vid's guide to system 3 to 7 shows and you won't have to ever worry about dust.

#24 10 years ago

nice pickup

#25 10 years ago

If it was stored in a barn, I would bet anything that dirt from a mud wasp's nest. I had a game that had them on the boards and in the backbox.

#26 10 years ago

Cleaned all of it off the board, hopfully its gtg. I have parts on the way. Left flipper coil bad...no continuity. New standups...etc. I'll post some pics of my progress.

#27 10 years ago

SpitFire, looks like you opened up the Firepower coral around here. I've seen two more pop up on craigslist in the last couple of days. Strange. Decided to make a translite to replace the Space Shuttle backglass. Here's a SS backglass prototype, work in progress. Thoughts?

SSv2_proto1.jpgSSv2_proto1.jpg

#28 10 years ago

I know glut of Firepowers in Phoenix now! Mine is not as nice as the ones up now, but parts on the way! BG looks good! Have you checked out Ed Chueng's Site? He did a nice repro.

When will the glut of Space Shuttle's pop up!?!

#29 10 years ago

Yes, using as much of Ed Chueng's site as I can. Great resource!

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

When will the glut of Space Shuttle's pop up!?!

Probably never.

Williams made more than twice as many Firepower than Shuttles.

#31 10 years ago

How come I can't find a Space Shuttle in Georgia then?!?

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Probably never.

Williams made more than twice as many Firepower than Shuttles.

and it's a better game, too. (space shuttle)

#33 10 years ago

Another FP up on Phoenix CL today! That makes 4 in the last week.

#34 10 years ago

Looks like I need to get another run of single EPROM adapters going pretty quick here.

-Hans

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Casper, WY
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Washington Court House, OH
1,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Benton, PA
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hawesville, KY
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/picked-up-a-firepower and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.