(Topic ID: 120383)

Pick a Game That You Hate...Now Admit It's Great!

By beelzeboob

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 71 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Manbearpig
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 4 years ago

I would say mine are tspp and acdc I know they are great pins but I just cant get into them enough to own them or even play them when I come across them in the wild . Im not really sure what it is but they are not for me

#52 4 years ago

I still can't stand The Adams Family and, to a lesser extent, Twilight Zone. Visually, they both feel very dark and dreary to me in the theme artwork and the lighting. I really don't enjoy looking at either playfield. Maybe a nice LED/GI mod could help me out a bit.

Functionally, I guess I apparently just don't like the similar door panel/mansion room setup. As I get more into competitive pinball and high-score chasing, the rinse-and-repeat advancement through those panels/rooms really just does nothing for me compared to so many other games.

I can see why people like them though. They're both certainly very difficult games to master, with a lot of shots that feel really great to nail. Of course the toys & mechanisms on both games are outstanding as well; definitely some of the best (and even my favorite i'll admit) in pinball.

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from toddkay:

I still can't stand The Adams Family and, to a lesser extent, Twilight Zone. Visually, they both feel very dark and dreary to me in the theme artwork and the lighting. I really don't enjoy looking at either playfield. Maybe a nice LED/GI mod could help me out a bit.
Functionally, I guess I apparently just don't like the similar door panel/mansion room setup. As I get more into competitive pinball and high-score chasing, the rinse-and-repeat advancement through those panels/rooms really just does nothing for me compared to so many other games.
I can see why people like them though. They're both certainly very difficult games to master, with a lot of shots that feel really great to nail. Of course the toys & mechanisms on both games are outstanding as well; definitely some of the best (and even my favorite i'll admit) in pinball.

I can say that once I led tz it totally changed the game for the better and you can see much better

#54 4 years ago

Funhouse. I still think Rudy is creepy though.

#55 4 years ago

AC/DC for this cat. I can't keep a ball alive in that game. It's the only game my woman has kicked my ass at.

#56 4 years ago

Funhouse. I can agree that it is honestly a piece of mechanical art. I've owned two of them. I'm a visual person, FH goes into my core and tickles that lil' part of me that just smiles as I love everything about it. And then I play it....I tried Rudy, lord help me I tried...

I understand its greatness, its new approach to pinball. Toys that are amazing, a really decent rule set, but alas the game just doesn't flow for me at all. I walk away and it just feels like a convoluted mess. A normal size deck that feels cramped and just doesn't have "it". I respect you FH, I don't love you though.

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from doublestack:

Funhouse. I can agree that it is honestly a piece of mechanical art. I've owned two of them. I'm a visual person, FH goes into my core and tickles that lil' part of me that just smiles as I love everything about it. And then I play it....I tried Rudy, lord help me I tried...
I understand its greatness, its new approach to pinball. Toys that are amazing, a really decent rule set, but alas the game just doesn't flow for me at all. I walk away and it just feels like a convoluted mess. A normal size deck that feels cramped and just doesn't have "it". I respect you FH, I don't love you though.

Nicely said (and thanks for fully getting the gist of this thread). I used to hate Funhouse...until I shot the trap door and heard Rudy scream, followed by "Oh, boyohboyohboy..." after the multiball was over. Classic stuff. But I still won't keep mine forever.

#58 4 years ago

I HATE all AAB ( add a ball) machines, They suk... Oh boy , another ball I want Free games man !!!!

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from Bribo13:

I HATE all AAB ( add a ball) machines, They suk... Oh boy , another ball I want Free games man !!!!

But making that AAB gets the game going longer, to reach new scoring heights! (O've owned an AAB--Gold Strike--for 30+ years, and it is still a fun and captivating game. And the repeated knocker sounds!!)

Game I hate(d) that may be great? ACDC comes to mind. Really not a fan of it when it came out. Seemed generic. But maybe the software evolved enough, and I learned enough--so I see it as a challenging game, one of the greats. (Although I still suck at it.)

#60 4 years ago

For me WOZ, can't get into it game wise or theme wise. Hope TH is much better tho and maybe I'll gain some respect for JJP.

#61 4 years ago

I HATE LOTR and BSD - but admit they are good games

I also hate DEMO MAN - and will battle to the bitter end that my hatred is not in vain here.

#62 4 years ago

I'll have to say TAF. Never got the hype or enjoyed the game play on location when I first got into the hobby. Thought it was boring and easy and didn't care much for the theme. Fast forward 15 years or so and I still didn't get it.

But then I saw the play (still haven't seen the movie) and ran into a well-maintained one on location and could actually hear the game. I warmed up to it, so much so that I decided to buy a very nicely restored one figuring that I could easily resell it in 3-6 months if I really didn't like it. Now, I learn and appreciate the game more each time I play it. Don't think it's going anywhere for a while.

In order to make room for the game, I sold my Monopoly which I had bought NIB and thought I would never sell. That turned out to be an opposite case - I loved it when it first came out, but just didn't enjoy it as much when I set it back up again. As much as I love the Monopoly theme, I have to admit that the TAF is the better game despite being ten years older.

#63 4 years ago

TSPP - I appreciate games with deep rules. I like the layout and theme, But for some reason I have absolutely zero fun playing this game. I know it's a good game. It just isn't for me. Kind of bizarre.

Tron - Love the theme, music and gameplay, but a single spinning disc and very basic, easy rules makes it feel incredibly cheap to me. Were it a 3K game I'd probably have one just to look at it and play occasionally, but it's too expensive to offer so little in terms of gameplay.

TOM & TOTAN - Beautiful games with fun layouts. Just hate the music on both and the rules leave much to be desired on both as well.

AC/DC - Too complicated for its own good. Don't feel I should have to take a class at a community college to understand how to play the game well. Not a fair game to play with others unless everyone is on the same page as far as having an understanding of the rules.

#64 4 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

AC/DC - Too complicated for its own good. Don't feel I should have to take a class at a community college to understand how to play the game well. Not a fair game to play with others unless everyone is on the same page as far as having an understanding of the rules.

these are my thoughts exactly. I'm a huge fan of the band and this game looks amazing, especially loaded with leds. I'll admit I haven't had a lot of opportunities to play this for any amount of time, but when I did, I just have no idea where to start. It just seems like you really need to put some time in to understand all the rules. I would still love to own one and find out if I love it or not.

#65 4 years ago

MM... I think I hate it because after all the hype, when I finally got to play it I was disappointed.. I like the sounds and the generic theme. It looks nice, has fun audio and has great artwork but when it comes down to it, I need a game that I don't want to walk away from. A game that makes me remember why I love pinball. A game that takes me back to when I couldn't wait for the corner store to open as a kid so I could run down with my pockets so full of quarters that they were pulling my pants down. MM is not that game for me.

#66 4 years ago

I can say the TZ was a game that fit the bill perfect for this thread. Being a huge original TZ show fan, this seemed like the coolest game that could ever be made... but when I originally played it decades ago, it just didn't grow on me at all. Looked great but I just didn't get a good feeling playing it.

However, the theme kept me coming back and I did really start to understand the game and truly started to enjoy it. So much so that I eventually bought one back in 2009 and still love to play it.

I was not as big a fan of the Addams Family show but also thought that was a cool theme, and I really did play that game a lot also, but I just still can't seem to get into it. I wouldn't say I hate it but I would never consider buying one.

WOZ is another that I just really was excited to play because of all the hype and features, but after playing many many games on it, really wanting to like it I just can't. Fun to look at, no fun to play for me. Not knocking it, great piece of machinery and work, glad it was produced and hope it inspires more great ideas, but I just don't like to play it at all. At least currently.

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from LEE400:

I can say the TZ was a game that fit the bill perfect for this thread. Being a huge original TZ show fan, this seemed like the coolest game that could ever be made... but when I originally played it decades ago, it just didn't grow on me at all. Looked great but I just didn't get a good feeling playing it.
However, the theme kept me coming back and I did really start to understand the game and truly started to enjoy it. So much so that I eventually bought one back in 2009 and still love to play it.

Man, I'd love to spend a day with you and your TZ and have you explain it to me. Same boat as you...love the theme, but just not feeling the game and I so badly wish I could feel the excitement others do.

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

I hated WH20...then I found a deal I couldnt resist, and It really entertains me.....
I feel differently about it then any other game, and I guess the easy word is, "FUN!"

Same here. Hated WH20 when playing it in others collections. I could not understand the appeal at all. One came up that was completely redone and just looked beautiful. Added it to collection and it really entertains me too. I get it now. Not for casual players - but people who know how to plan shots.

1 week later
#69 4 years ago

When I first played IM I did not like the game at all but I grew to enjoy the game.

#70 4 years ago

I hate TZ, but I know it is a beautiful game. Just not my style of play.

#71 4 years ago

Wrestlemania LE, I was one of the big haters when it was announced. I still have a hard time with the theme. I can't imagine many worse themes than a bunch of Roid Rage half naked meat heads all over a pinball machine in my gameroom. I got to play a WWE LE over this weekend and was amazed at how fun it was. I really tried not to like it but it was a blast to play especially with 4 players. I think this game will do well, even though I don't want it to

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside