Topic poll

“Pick 2 of the 3 to sell for new hotness”

• The Shadow 41 votes
    21%
  • Doctor Who 78 votes
    40%
  • Johnny Mnemonic 77 votes
    39%

(Multiple choice - 196 votes by 104 Pinsiders)

This poll has been closed.

#1 2 years ago

So FOMO is real, and I don't have any spare cash in case a new pin is announced that I want from either Spooky or Stern. Or the fact that my wife wants me to buy a Monster Bash. Regardless, I've got to sell some pins to get some cash.

Given my current collection, the family says these 3 pins (JM, DW, Shadow) are the ones most likely to be voted off the island. So if you had the same choice, which 2 would you sell, and why?

Some fun facts:
- I've owned Shadow the longest at 5+ years, with Aurich translite and color DMD. Almost no sanctum wear. Excellent cabinet and playfield condition.
- The family plays DW the most, possibly the most recognized pin to strangers? Has original rotating dalek head and LED/GI OCD. Mild cabinet fade, Color DMD. Playfield excellent condition.
- JM is the most recent, and I'm the only one that plays it (I dig it). Restored artwork, nice red color. Playfield excellent. Aftermarket speaker panel.
- All 3 work 100%, no credit dots.

Thoughts from the general pin community? Conventional wisdom says that Shadow is the best game of the 3, just not sure it's gonna win.

Let's crowdsource a decision, since I'm too paralyzed to make it on my own!

#2 2 years ago

DW (look at my collection and you'll quickly see why I chose that).

Never could get into the theme. Just very "meh" to me. VERY cool toys and ramps, but just so "meh".

#3 2 years ago

Man.... I like them all....

I voted Johnny, but not really at 100% on it honestly. I just sold DW and still love it. Just got The Shadow and really like it so far. I want a JM at some point too.

#4 2 years ago

I’m with the conventional wisdom in this one, I’d keep The Shadow. But if your family really likes Doctor Who and will keep playing it, that could be the deciding factor.

#5 2 years ago

I picked shadow becasue it's the only one of the 3 I would want to own.
Doctor Whom would be next, and JM would hit the fire pit before my basement.

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I picked shadow becasue it's the only one of the 3 I would want to own.

You're doing it wrong.
He's asksing which to sell.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

You're doing it wrong.

That makes it so much easier, thanks!

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

You're doing it wrong.

Exactly, technically which *2* to sell.

#9 2 years ago

I abstained from voting because you already know that I want to buy your Shadow. If I were you I’d sell the DW and JM.

#10 2 years ago

Surprising how many vote Shadow off the island.

OP decision should be based on what you and your family enjoy.
Monitor number of plays a pin gets over a month and make your decision.

Why are 2 pins leaving and not just one?

#11 2 years ago

Doctor Who must stay. Like how on earth is that game rated so low

#12 2 years ago

Doctor Who needs to go. Can’t stand it.

#13 2 years ago

To me the obvious keeper is the Shadow (in the midst of doing a full blown restoration on mine). I’d love to provide a good local home for your Doctor Who. Exterminate!!!

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

A lot of people hate the sound...the Daleks annoy them.

Not me tho, I love it...the music is delicious, and you know you nailed a shot when those Daleks scream!

#15 2 years ago

I'm with the DW fans. I love the call outs. Get it changed out to tasteful LEDs and a well working Time Expander and you have an awesome game. It helps to be a Doctor Who TV show fan as well. Maybe, that's why I like the sounds.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

Why are 2 pins leaving and not just one?

Because selling just one of these wouldn’t let me buy a new $7500 pin. Gotta sell 2.

#17 2 years ago
Quoted from Madmax541:

Surprising how many vote Shadow off the island.

It's a little confusing, but Shadow is "losing" the sell vote, which means it's the most popular of the three options.

#18 2 years ago

Yup, that was my point

#19 2 years ago

I would go for TS an JM .

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

and JM would hit the fire pit before my basement.

You shut your dirty mouth D: !!!

#21 2 years ago

The Shadow is the best of the three. I've owned Johnny Mnemonic and it's a good game too. I didn't keep it nearly as long as The Shadow though. I have less experience with Doctor Who. If I were to be gifted two right now, I'd take The Shadow and Doctor Who.

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

Agreed!!

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Doctor Who needs to go. Can’t stand it.

This just makes me want to keep it and force you to have to play it during league.

#24 2 years ago

With the crazy prices today, sell em all. Bank that money for the next new game you really want.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from damadczar:

This just makes me want to keep it and force you to have to play it during league.

Then it'll get really boring. Sonic booms allll night long

#26 2 years ago

If no one is really playing Shadow then I would sell it. Sounds like you are enjoying JM and the family still likes DW so keep those. You should be able to get $5000+ for a really nice Shadow with colordmd.

#27 2 years ago

I've had all three at the same time and honestly none were good family games. Shadow is easily the hardest, which might be a family turnoff, but IMO, easily the best game. Might have to come down to, family aside, which game you personally like best. Me, I'd keep Shadow.

#28 2 years ago

The correct answer was to sell nothing and wait.

I told my wife that the only way the entire family would win would be to sell all 3 and buy 2 new pins instead.

So that's likely what I'll do eventually.

Thanks all for playing.

#29 2 years ago

I've had all 3 at different times and I wish I still had the Shadow.

2 weeks later
#30 2 years ago

As a fellow Whovian. I would keep that of course. Have played Shadow and I guess cause it was hard and little ball time for my quarters, I did not enjoy. JM would be the first to be sold. But you have made a family decision. Live and let live. Interested to see how long it takes for the DW to be sold and at what price in this pinball inflationary world.

#31 2 years ago

Keep DW, sell the other two. I've never actually played TS, but JM is "meh", and DW is awesome, so it's a keeper for me.

#32 2 years ago
Quoted from EvanDickson:

Keep DW, sell the other two. I've never actually played TS, but JM is "meh", and DW is awesome, so it's a keeper for me.

This was my wife's advice. LOL. It may very well be what happens long term. But for now, I've let the family have their favorites and their say.

#33 2 years ago

DW would be the first one out the door for me, but you said it's played by your family? If that's the case take it from someone who has sold the family favorite a few too many times - keep DW and sell the others. Maybe your family will move on to another pin, but maybe they'll just lose interest and stop playing entirely. Non-pinheads don't enjoy pinball so much as they enjoy a particular game. My son pretty much never played anything after LOTR left years ago, and my wife stops playing for months or even longer if her favorite leaves (it won't happen again because I've learned my lesson).

If they're playing one you already have, consider yourself lucky they enjoy a small piece of your hobby and bolt that one to the floor.

#34 2 years ago

Owned all 3. Shadow would be the one I would get again.

#35 2 years ago
Quoted from jitneystand1:

DW would be the first one out the door for me, but you said it's played by your family? If that's the case take it from someone who has sold the family favorite a few too many times - keep DW and sell the others. Maybe your family will move on to another pin, but maybe they'll just lose interest and stop playing entirely. Non-pinheads don't enjoy pinball so much as they enjoy a particular game. My son pretty much never played anything after LOTR left years ago, and my wife stops playing for months or even longer if her favorite leaves (it won't happen again because I've learned my lesson).
If they're playing one you already have, consider yourself lucky they enjoy a small piece of your hobby and bolt that one to the floor.

If there playing DW keep it sell other two.
Sold AC/DC and family stop playing
Looking to get it back

#36 2 years ago

I think you answered your own question. If your family plays Dr. Who the most then the other two would sell. I would love me a Jonny...

#37 2 years ago

Hmm. The only knee-jerk reaction to selling those three I have would be JM: it'd be gone the fastest. Between Shadow and DW, it'd be close, but DW would probably go first.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 16.00
Playfield - Other
Slap Save Creations

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 38.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

7,250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hamilton, ON
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 58.00
Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

€ 8.50
Flipper Parts
Pin-Decals

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pick-2-of-3-jm-dw-shadow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.