Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 39 posts
  • 28 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by oropuro
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago

After experiencing Shorty's in Seattle, WA and getting involved
    in the community in Jacksonville, FL and hearing so many others
    here want some form of pinball arcade it gets me to question.
    What 10 Machines deserve to be in this arcade?

Give me your 10 game list folks...

#3 12 years ago

I'm in the prosses of doing that in my area. At the begining of Febuary, we should have 7 machines...
    BBH
    NGG
    HD-Sega
    Knockout
    FT
    Jacks to Open-maybe
    Rawhide-maybe

#6 12 years ago

What is your goal? To have something for everyone or to maximize earnings?

My list, independent of your answer

taf, mb, fh, pinbot, bsd, mm, afm, bk2k, wh20 & tz

#7 12 years ago

count down, black hole, centaur, high speed, whirlwind, black knight 2000 terminator 2, white water, medieval madness, spiderman,

#8 12 years ago

Twilight Zone
    The Addams Family
    Black Knight 2000
    Haunted House
    High Speed
    Pinbot
    Eight Ball Deluxe
    Earthshaker
    No Good Gofers
    Rollergames

... yes, I like the 1980s and early 1990s games, particularly the Lawlors and S. Ritchies, why do you ask?

#9 12 years ago

Goals are...
    earnings
    games people drinking alcohol could enjoy
    games pinball enthusiasts could enjoy
    games people would come back again to play

Lets say the budget is about $30k-40k

#10 12 years ago

Honestly, I'd go for 'a bunch of Sterns' and a few WMS games which were made in large numbers like TAF and AFM - at the end of the day if they're being operated you want them to be easy to fix, or to soak up the punishment without needing too much other than cleaning. Put a Tron and Transformers in there, they're relevant to younger people who know the films.

#11 12 years ago
    Quoted from system11:

Honestly, I'd go for 'a bunch of Sterns' and a few WMS

hmm I'd not go overboard on Sterns as many are two deep for casual play so I'll say.
    Tron
    Transformers
    T3
    Elvis
    SM
    HS2
    AFM
    TAF
    SW (DE)
    WW

#12 12 years ago

You need variety of games, that's what makes shorty's cool and unique.

A classic EM like.....Centigrade 37
    An early SS pin from the 70s like.....Countdown
    An early 80s bally classic like.....Paragon
    A mid 80s Stern wide body like....Split Second
    A double leveled classic like.....Solar Fire
    A Pat Lawlor system 11 like.....Funhouse
    A dose of Ritchie flow like.....Star Trek: TNG
    A glimpse of the Brian Eddy factor like.....Attack From Mars
    A introduction to the master Nordman like.....White Water
    And top it off with a modern classic like.....Tron LE

#13 12 years ago

Transformers for me is a certainty.

Attack from Mars is pretty much a certainty as well.

#14 12 years ago

I would definitely go for earnings. If the pins are earning, then people are playing them, which is the whole point IMO. No sense putting an old pin in there just because it is old. It would have to be a good title to earn its space.

#15 12 years ago

Variety is good. And good pins from each era like GuyMontag described. It's also obvious that there are A-list EM's out there. Em's are hugely underrated right now. Going to Seattle in 2 weeks, I'll try to check that place out.

Also, there are hot Sterns and cold Sterns. Pick the hot ones!

I don't think 10x mid-90's WMS would make a place jump.

#17 12 years ago

If talking about making money from people at bars and not your normal pin players/collectors id go with these. I'd also avoid putting in the high priced A listers cause I'm sure they would get beat to hell & probably drinks spilled on them.

GnR
    RFM (might be more intrigued by pin 2k then most us collectors)
    Harley Davidson
    SS
    T2 or T3
    Rolling Stones
    IJ
    CP
    HSII
    DH

Not many i'd want in my long term collection but each of these might appeal to someone at a bar who isnt a pinhead.

#19 12 years ago

Not a huge fan but it seems to be a good earner. It's not a game WE love, it's a game the people that put quarters in seem to love. Same as what "SMASSA" is saying.

#20 12 years ago

My pinball place would be for purists.

AFM
    MM
    TZ
    FH
    TS
    TSPP
    SM
    WW
    Cyclone
    Flash

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

Transformers for me is a certainty.
    Attack from Mars is pretty much a certainty as well.

Based on the goals (broad appeal, earnings, fun with beers, etc.), well, TF would definitely NOT be a 'certainty,' much less a viable option. Limited (but avid) fan base, and the premium cost of a new release subtracts from those earnings. Best bet is to go for classic, "bang for the buck" games with broad appeal. This also rules out some great games like MB, AFM, etc.

I do see lots of good choices here. Tought to list just 10, but here goes:

Fishtales
    Addams Family
    A DE game (Last Action Hero or WWF or Tales from the Crypt or Rocky&Bullwinkle)
    Spiderman (best bar game of the recent Sterns imo)
    Big Buck Hunter (bar appeal)
    A classic Stern like Big Game
    An EM game, 2-4 player, with spinners and/or drop targets (Mars Trek, a poker-themed game, etc.)
    Countdown (agree with Guy--love this old SS game!)
    World Poker Tour (very addictive and fun when set up well; open pf is not intimidating)
    A fast bang-for-the-buck game like Johnny Mnemonic, Jurassic Park, Maverick, etc.

This is pretty random, but I do agree with some others here that a mix of game types is preferable, esp. with a 10-game lineup. Something beyond the recent Sterns and 90's BLY/WMS stuff.

#22 12 years ago

Whatever you do, stay away from games like LOTR, MM & AFM as they have long ball times.

I think i'd remove mm, afm & tz and add tron, FT & hs2

#23 12 years ago

I never considered LOTR, and MM and AFM can have very long ball times haha.

Big Buck Hunter to me is quite fun, being in the south, many should dig it.

Jurassic Park is an option I've considered

Not interested in any EMs

#24 12 years ago

We have a growing pinball community, dave and busters makes me sick! and most bars are generic sports bars, ugh...

#25 12 years ago

Transformers LE
    Medieval Madness
    Indiana J Williams
    LOTR
    Family Guy
    Twilight Zone
    Tron LE
    Attack From Mars
    Spiderman
    Whitewater

#26 12 years ago
    Quoted from HighProtein:

dave and busters makes me sick!

+1 There's one about 35 minutes away from me, and no pins at all!!! Waste of my time and $10 to get in.

#27 12 years ago

BK
    TAF
    WW
    BK2K
    PinBot
    MM
    Sorcerer
    FH
    Tommy
    Breakshot

#28 12 years ago

Spiderman (Stern) Super hero / movie
    Family Guy (Stern) Animated / TV show
    Jurassic Park (DE) Dinosaur / movie
    White Water (Williams) Original concept / outdoors
    The Simpsons (Stern) Animated / TV show
    Funhouse (Williams) Original concept / carnival
    Monster Bash (Williams) Universal monsters / music
    Tron LE (Stern) Science fiction / movie
    Star Wars (DE) Science fiction / movie
    Theater of Magic (Bally) Original concept / magic

I could easily add ten more. AFM, MM, TF, TZ, TAF, SS,.......

#29 12 years ago

IMO make sure you have a variety of pricing. My son and I love to go out and play in the wild but need pricing to match. Have some older titles for 50 cents and some newer games for a $1. We also like value pricing $5 gets you a 6 credits kind of thing.

#30 12 years ago
    Quoted from Makers_Mark:

IMO make sure you have a variety of pricing. My son and I love to go out and play in the wild but need pricing to match. Have some older titles for 50 cents and some newer games for a $1. We also like value pricing $5 gets you a 6 credits kind of thing.

Not to get this thread off track, but ops actually charge a dollar a game in WI? That's outrageous!!! It's hard to convert new players with that kinda price point. Should be 50 cents/game for Williams/Bally Classics and Sterns, and MAYBE have the brand new Stern be 75 cents/game. Maybe.
    System 11s and older SS games and EMs should run on quarter play. Charge less, people will play more, eventually you will make more money because you are appealing to both the hardcore pinhead, and the curious novice.

#31 12 years ago

So many of the same retreads....If I had my choice of any 10 games, it'd be 10 you hardly ever see but are great fun:

BBB
    Mystery Castle
    Bansai Run
    Blackrose
    Pinball Magic
    GNR
    Shrek
    Batman Returns
    Heavy Metal Meltdown
    Baracora
    Centaur

11 is always better

#32 12 years ago

Realisticly.

At least 4 Stern themed of recent movie titles to attract the crowd.

Pirates Of The Caribbean
    Spiderman
    Lord Of The Rings
    Batman Dark Knight

Throw in Williams "classics" assumed to still be attractive and good earners.

The Addams Family
    Attack From Mars
    White Water
    Indianna Jones
    Terminator 2

Throw in solid alpha num value for money fun. Also use as alternatives for above if budget is not allowing those.

Whirlwind
    Funhouse
    High Speed
    Taxi

Add up nostalgia early SS or even EM.

Black Knight

Don't be greedy on match and replay. Arrange tournaments and fun nights. Have fun.

#33 12 years ago
    Quoted from guymontag451:

Not to get this thread off track, but ops actually charge a dollar a game in WI?

I've never seen that in WI but in MN there were a few places where the new sterns were priced $1 a game. I kept my plays to a minimum on those games.

#34 12 years ago
    Quoted from soren:

Throw in Williams "classics" assumed to still be attractive and good earners.

The Addams Family
    Attack from Mars
    White Water
    Indianna Jones
    Terminator 2

That's a fact, not an assumption. From what i hear, TAF AFM MB & MM are still top earners. I tried trading a SM (that i didn't yet own) for a completely trashed MB and the guy didn't even respond to that offer.

#35 12 years ago

Here's my list. I'm keeping the prices realistic as if I was investing. I don't think a MM would ever turn $10k in enough time to be profitable.

T2 - great beginner game and easy to pick up and play. Plus, just fun to always play. Good drunk game.
    TAF - One of the best titles ever made and easy to find. Plus, a game people will seek out.
    Pinbot/Firepower/Space Shuttle - I think a classic SS Williams is necessary. Plus, these are titles people are familiar with from the PHOF collection
    BOP - Just a fun game that is fun to play and has a very grown up feel to it.
    Iron Man - good theme, nice and bright game (when kept in good shape), fast and fun to play. Definitely will attract players.
    Family Guy/TSPP - Newer game with attractive licenses. Both have indepth gameplay.
    Tommy - You need a music game that will get people interested. IMO, Tommy can't be beat on gameplay and price.
    Eight Ball Deluxe - Good, classic Bally pin that's a perfect bar/parlor game.
    Royal Flush/Time Zone/Big Shot - One signature EM that will give the older crowd (and those of us that love EMs) something to play.
    Black Hole/Haunted House - don't count out the odd factor. Those bottom playfield Gottliebs just have a certain magic to them that attract players that sometimes wouldn't look twice at pins.

#36 12 years ago

To target the male 21 to 45 crowd..i would have a BoP and a Stern Playboy..as well as others mentioned..

#37 12 years ago

Well....if the object is to turn a profit, you would probably want at least half newer Sterns. Then maybe ...TZ, WW, FT, MM and WOZ to top that off.

#38 12 years ago

+1 on woz. would be interesting how much traffic it would garner with that 26 inch screen.

1 year later
    #39 11 years ago

Great thread, working on a 5 pin 2 arcade game addition to bar, great input.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pick-10-machines-youd-put-in-a-pinball-bar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.